[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Zack "The Hack" Snyder
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 203
Thread images: 18
File: Zack_Snyder.jpg (903 KB, 1000x1380) Image search: [Google]
Zack_Snyder.jpg
903 KB, 1000x1380
I swear half the time I think this guy is a total genius, other half I think he is fucking shit.

There is just so much imagery and depth to BvS that I think many overlooked.

Cannot fucking wait for the ~3 hour version, to see what he had planned for the whole film.
>>
File: deletedscene.webm (3 MB, 854x480) Image search: [Google]
deletedscene.webm
3 MB, 854x480
>>67782223
>>
>>67782223
>Synider's Batman kills with guns to steal shit
Do not get deluded, he's just a next-tier Michael Bay. Rapers of childhoods.
>>
>>67783669
>raper of childhoods

Yawn

I never read comics as a kid and I never saw anything wrong with batflick killing tbqfh
>>
Wasn't there apparently a 4 hour version?
>>
>>67783751
>I never read comics as a kid
Cool story bro

>and I never saw anything wrong with batflick killing tbqfh
=
>>
>>67783751
>Yawn
This is not gaia online, faggot.
Stop your roleplay shit.
>>
>>67782223
What on earth ever gave you the impression he is a genius? Every good thing he's done is cribbed from source material

>>67783855
Like every Snyder joint. He has no idea what he's doing.
>>
>>67783669
>Batman kills with guns to steal shit
not even true
he kills them with the batmobile like every other batman movie
>>
>>67783669
>Rapers of childhoods.
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>67783751
>anything wrong with batflick killing tbqfh
>killing honest to god bread winners just doing their jobs
You're disgusting a 14 year old edgy anon.
>>
>>67784257
lolwut?
>>
>>67784132
>Like every Snyder joint. He has no idea what he's doing.
This. Pure form and no content.
>>
File: 1459625504203.png (255 KB, 770x711) Image search: [Google]
1459625504203.png
255 KB, 770x711
>>67782223

>He's a genius guys!
>The movie has so much imagery, who cares if it doesn't have any substance
>The 3 hour extended cut will make sense out of the movie
>5/6 of the movie was shit, surely the 1/6 that was left out will make the movie great

Seriously though, even puzzles if you finished them 5/6 of the way you can already see it for what it is.
>>
>>67784519
lel kek hue fu fu
>>
File: 1458840267762.png (110 KB, 266x300) Image search: [Google]
1458840267762.png
110 KB, 266x300
Snyder is fucking patrician, but his movies don't show it. Read him talking about Excalibur, his favorite movie of all time. The man is not dumb or even simple, he's just a bad director unfortunately.

http://www.dga.org/Craft/DGAQ/All-Articles/1002-Summer-2010/Screening-Room-Zack-Snyder.aspx
>>
>>67784519

When the main complaint for a movie is essentially that it was rushed, then yes, an extra 15-20% length can change everything.
>>
>>67784764
No he is a dumb fucking chad
>>
>>67784783
That's not the main complaint though. It feels rushed because it's so poorly made with such an inconsistent tone and so many disparate elements. If anything it could do with being 30 minutes shorter.
>>
>>67782295

what in the fuck was that?

glad they cut this scene. Lex's speech was creepier without it.
>>
File: the truth of capeshit.jpg (32 KB, 625x295) Image search: [Google]
the truth of capeshit.jpg
32 KB, 625x295
>H-H-H-H-H-HE DOESN'T RESPECT MUH CAPESHIT!!!!!!!!!

The hacks who pump out capeshit itself have no respect for it either. If anything Zack treats it with MORE reverence than it deserves.
>>
>>67782223
This guy's truly a misunderstood genius. While I've never seen "Sucker Punch," just Watchmen, MoS, and BvS have enough hidden depth in them to convince me.

I keep trying to reach the bottom of symbolically-represented themes in BvS and keep finding unexpected depth.
>>
File: 1382451694233.jpg (34 KB, 411x396) Image search: [Google]
1382451694233.jpg
34 KB, 411x396
>>67784764
>I always felt the truth of being a superhero is that people frickin' get killed.

-Zack Snyder. Yep, he's a frickin' genius.
>>
>>67785010
I honestly cannot tell if sarcastic or agreeing with OP.
>>
>>67784764
dunno pham

he comes off as a total fucking moron for me
>>
>>67784851
>REEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>67785080
Absolutely agreeing.
>>
>>67783855
That was the first cut before edits, rewrites, and reshoots. it's actually common
>>
>>67783669
>muh childhood

Top kek seriously
>>
>>67784851
>meming this hard unironically
>>
>>67785010
>Sucker Punch
Messier.
>>
>>67785226
I'm not memeing

This guy is complete idiot and it shows
>>
>>67783669

>raper of childhoods

He has literally no responsibility to your childhood.
>>
>>67782223
He doesn't understand editing, pacing, or storytelling. He's good at coming up with general ideas and is skilled with working with visual effects.

Even if he gets with a competent screenwriter, his influence on the story will fuck it up. He's the kind of guy who should make a list of what he wants, and the let the screenwriter go to town and have free reign. But he doesn't.
>>
>>67782223
He's good with action scenes, and absolutely nothing more.
>>
>>67785417
But that wouldn't really solve the problem because adapting what the screenwriter actually writes to the screen is another area where Zack fucks up royally. He has little ability to comprehend story or tell it effectively visually or edit the damn story once he's finished shooting. He needs to stick to cm, music videos, or maybe just DP work.
>>
>>67785010
ayyy serious shit as the days go on shit keeps popping up with different anons making different connections through extended association

even citizen kane really is only about one guy, BvS is aware of and uses culture to it's advantage
>>
>>67782223
everything he has ever done and ever will do was because he thought it was cool.

That's as deep as he is capable of going.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UD3byJxc9Vc
>>
>>67782223
Decent script that could've used some revising utterly destroyed by Goyer's franchise shoehorning and Snyder's direction.
>>
>>67785417
I'm on the other side of the fence, but I think that's pretty fair. I think he's so visually-driven that he represents things symbolically that other directors would express verbally.

There was a great scene in "Amadeus" where Mozart asks the King his opinion of a piece he'd just seen performed, and the King replies, "Too many notes." Later, Mozart excitedly talks about a fugue that he's extended to an unheard of length. The people he's describing it to seem visibly uncomfortable at the thought of sitting through such a work, but Mozart is utterly incapable of understanding why anyone wouldn't be overjoyed to hear it.

I think there might be something similar happening with Snyder.
>>
>>67786274
I think that's selling him quite a bit short. There are a great number of themes that run throughout BvS that are carried exclusively in the visuals. That doesn't happen by accident and, while frequently looking cool, their purpose runs far deeper than they appear at first or even second glance.
>>
>>67786715
i don't even get how that video proves anything

>he's a hack because he got into shit he thought was cool
like what the fuck does that even mean, that's how all of us get into things, they appeal to our imaginations

he also talks about how he talks with nolan for hours about these past two movies and the moves he makes in that and that nolan has gotten on board both times, nolan, the guy who i think would never pull a movie like bvs
>>
File: bvs interpretations.jpg (653 KB, 632x2088) Image search: [Google]
bvs interpretations.jpg
653 KB, 632x2088
I don't think he's stupid or a genius. I think he's autistic.

>All of his movies are devoid of emotion
>Does not understand jokes
>He's a big fan of Ayn Rand (who was autistic)
>He has problems expressing his thoughts
>He puts a lot of effort in details most people don't even notice
>Plays with toys the same way every time
>Has to follow certain routines (his workout routine in between takes)
>Hyperactivity (he's very active)
>Short attention span (that's why he finds slow mo so interesting and while at the same time his movies are generally fast paced)
>Lack of fear (after MoS he still wants to do BvS, and now he still wants to do JL)

He's not a chad, he's just "different". I also think a lot of autistic people like his movies because he gives them something they can obsess about. Just read some of these threads that go "in depth".
>>
>>67787119
Wow so Snyder fans are autistic

It all makes sense now
>>
>>67787219
Well, I'm a Snyder fan and autistic so it was easy for me to notice the similarities.

I understand why normies don't like his movies even though I do like them.

Afaik he's the only autistic mainstream movie maker. Although I think Michael Bay might be autistic too. (they have a lot of similarities)
>>
>>67787327
>>67787119
Not so sure about him being autistic (I honestly know hardly anything about autism), but I agree 100% with the rest of what you said.

>He puts a lot of effort in details most people don't even notice
He puts crazy amounts of effort into the littlest things.I can't wait for the 3 hour cut to by hyper analysed.
>>
>>67787327
this
it amazes me he's called a hack
>>67787806
like this little detail
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3SLLEzkG8c
and this big video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p5-14rjWUM

I don't think this guy even got the whole thing, i think he focused on one major theme.
>>
>>67788008
pure shit t b h m9

snyder is a tasteless manchildren
>>
>>67788089
just go back toreddit already. you fags have nearly destroyed this board
>>
>>67788008
this brings up a good point about editing and visual cues in both movies

people obviously picked up on only two visual cues within mos, the jesus pose, and the jesus over the shoulder scene, but they think snyder randomly popped them into the scenes for no reason. furthermore, as noted by the long video there's all sorts of other visual storytelling that no one noticed

as far as the editing in bvs, as i was watching the movie it was obvious to me that all the main characters had forward momentum in the movie, eventually all of them being in the same scene. the way the movie is edited reflects that. at the beginning we're following a lot of disparate people doing different things and by the end they're brought together. this isn't a coincidence
>>
>>67788168
nah you better go back to /r/dcuniverse autismo
>>
>>67788193
on the everyone is in difference scenes and there's no interaction bit.
Game of thrones. why is okay when they do it? most of their character have met a couple times. the MILF of dragons met Tyrion last season and it was really the first major character to cross paths with her.
Why is that okay and BvS isn't?
>>
>>67784132
>cribbed from source material
The only similarity between original dawn of the dead and remake is the mall. It's a good zombie flick in it's own right.
>>
>>67788008
Kek I totally forgot that supes kills zod in this one

Hack Snyder worthless piece of shit
>>
File: 1457038837748.png (408 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1457038837748.png
408 KB, 640x360
The only Hack Snyder film I don't like is man of steel.
>>
>>67787119
How is lack of fear autistic?
>>
>>67788331
he also kills Zod in Superman 2 (where he debuted)
>MUH COMICS
literal retard
>>
>>67782223
The only good thing he ever done is the remake of Dawn of the Dead

The rest is atrocious borderline unwatchable trash
>>
>>67788388
but you like Sucker Punch?
>>
>>67788525
kill yourself nigger
>>
>>67782295
Where did you get this?
>>
>>67788573
Thanks Redditor!
>>
the ultimate cut for watchmen was like 3.5 hours.

i hope bvs gets the same time for its ultimate cut t.b.h
>>
>>67782295
What's that.
>>
>>67788639
>haha reddit xD

spotted the 2015 poster
>>
Who is a better director: Snyder or Abrams?
>>
>>67788554
The ONLY synder film I don't like is MoS.
>>
>BvS wouldve improved with many, many scenes totally removed
>DCucks think the movie being 30 minutes longer will make it better

Get a grip you guys
>>
>>67788721
Neither

Avoid both of them like the plague
>>
>>67788281
yeah exactly. a lot of the criticisms bvs gets are completely hypocritical and generic to the point of not being criticisms of the movie itself but criticisms of the viewers themselves and their entitlements
>>
There's nothing wrong with killer Batman

Killer Batman here failed thematically and brought down entire movie

It literally makes Batman's entire character arc moot. His growing cynicism and brutality giving way to relearning that moral absolutes do exist....then flies off to blow up more dudes. But at least I stopped branding bro!!!!

Zack is kind of an idiot.
>>
>>67788721
Hack Snyder can shoot a veey good action scene and make a very faithful adaptation, which is very important when the only movies he makes are action packed adaptations. Jew Jew Abrahams is pretty good at making some characters have decent things to say so you care about them, but is pretty shit at everything else.
>>
>>67788697
upvoted!
>>
>>67788802
The whole point of half of the movie is to show a broken batman who only cares about revenge at this point.

Then he does not kill superman because he realises he is wrong.

Superman "sacrificed" himself and ended up "fixing" batman.

Damn, I need to go see this movie again.
>>
>>67788738
I read it the first time. You don't like MoS
so you like Sucker Punch? why?
>>
>>67782223
3 hours?? the movie was fucking bloated as is

>>67785417
>>67786066
>>67786528
the biggest problem with the movie though isn't anything visual. it's with the script. so many needless shit/lines/scenes that could've been drastically condensed or combined.

the opening credits tell us so much, the gist batman's origin, within about 2 minutes. granted, we've seen batman's origin several times but if you didn't, you'd know all you need to know. but the story through visuals stop their and every other scene depends on dialogue to get info across to the viewer

i think snyder has a good eye for visuals, but what he needed, other than a better script, is a better producer or someone to say, "this isn't good, let's do this instead." I feel like they just gave him complete control and he churned out shit bc no one told him anything
>>
>>67788915
Zack??
>>
File: 1459055329657.jpg (406 KB, 1411x1562) Image search: [Google]
1459055329657.jpg
406 KB, 1411x1562
>>67788757
While i don't agree with the theory, I don't blame those who liked this film saying Disney paid off critics or something.
I don't understand why people wont let the superhero genre grow out of it's shell. It's like saying you can't do a spaghetti western comedy. I had a shit ton of "fun", knowing it was a political thriller with action at the end. BvS was enthralling and made me think. I literally forgot Ultron was in Age of Ultron, and /tv/ didn't talk about any Marvel film for this long, this much.
>>
>>67788915
He didnt fix Batman
Batman kept killing
>>
>>67788930
I don't think the movie was bloated, people keep saying the movie was 3 movies put together and weren't flushed out. People are saying it was hard to follow and that there was no plot. I don't understand how it could be too long and be too short at the same time
>>
>>67789109
In modern times someone like batman would kill, get over it.
>>
>>67788802
the branding shit was pretty stupid and pointless anyways
>>
>>67789109
after he died Batman killed? who?
>>
>>67789141
>>67788915
>>
>>67789109
batman is more pragmatic

i think someone showed that by the time the cars blow up in the martha save scene no one is in the cars anymore
the grenade guy dropped his grenade yet went back to try to get it
the flamethrower guy still tried to burn martha after bruce shot the hose

if anyone dies in these scenarios, its because of their commitment to evil acts
>>
>>67789122
it wasn't hard to follow at all, but he didn't do that well of a job at juggling the three characters either

a lot of things could've been condensed to make it shorter though. about half the movie was building up batman's and superman's motivations for fighting each other
>>
>>67788457
Autistic people have an intense inner life, they are usually hypersensitive when they are young.
When they grow up they either succumb to the social anxiety and become reclusive or they shut out negative emotions completely.

The latter are the autists among the normies.
>>
File: batmanarcc.webm (902 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
batmanarcc.webm
902 KB, 640x480
>>67789109
Erm no. There is a reason why he didn't brand Lex in the prison. It's to show he's changed.
>>
>>67789212
i saw your post, zach. the branding shit was still stupid and pointless

>only cares about killing and branding bc muh revenge
>fights superman
>realizes he was wrong
>immediately goes and kills more goons
>but he doesn't brand!!!!!! character arc!!!!!!!
>>
>>67783751
>Yawn
Greetings, Reddit.
>>
>>67789356
>>immediately goes and kills more goons

No he does not, explain to me when he kills others after that point.
>>
>>67789356
>>immediately goes and kills more goons
What are you talking about?
>>
>>67789356
>immediately goes and kills more goons
The only one he kills after that is the one that threatens to kill Martha iirc.

Just don't mess with Martha. It's established earlier that "Martha" is his trigger.
>>
>>67789356
read
>>67789254
>>
Reminder: Reddit abhors this movie. If you dislike it, then you should go back there.
>>
>>67788680
>>67784920
Darkseid's general you mongloids
>>
File: 1453292140132.jpg (37 KB, 449x546) Image search: [Google]
1453292140132.jpg
37 KB, 449x546
>>67782223
>tfw you made a Batman vs Superman movie that can be thankful if it reaches the box office of a R rated Deadpool movie
>>
>>67788193
The flood scene in BvS made me go back and rematch MoS, because I've come to realize that the overt Christ imagery may not be as blindly "ham-fisted" as it appears at first glance.

I'm becoming aware that there are occasions in Snyder's films where it appears that what we're not seeing is even more important than what we are.

(Please don't think that I'm being ironically pretentious or over-analytical. I'm going somewhere with this.)

In the flood scene, he first shows us a view of the family on the rooftop with their painted Superman symbol. It then cuts to a shot from their point of view where we see Superman hovering, silhouetted by the sun. At first, it would seem obvious that we're supposed to see Superman in the same light that the family does - as a saviour, a god; however, what doesn't appear in that shot is what Superman sees. What he's looking at is a family that basically drew a "magic symbol" and are now reaching out beseechingly for the man in the sky to save them.

In MoS's church scene. He goes to seek counsel from a man of the cloth regarding the course of action he should take concerning Zod. He's in a church. One would be hard pressed to find a camera angle that doesn't include religious imagery of some sort or another. What we're given, though, is the Priest's point of view, seeing Clark with an image of Jesus in the background.

That's twice when we see Clark from a "common man's" point of view where Clark is framed with religious imagery. I believe Snyder isn't trying to drive home the point that Superman is a stand-in for God. I believe he's trying to make us see that the people in the story see him as such. What is it that gives Clark God-like power again? Our environment, right? In other words, we're watching a story of a man struggling to be accepted as just a man when his own nature and environment conspire to make him seem like a god.
>>
Of course Kino isn't something that everyone gets, a majority would never understand
>>
>>67790379
hoping your post gets screenshot my man
>>
>>67790144
this
>>
>>67790379
When he saves the bus, Clark gets "baptised". His first time saving people.
>>
>>67790379
going by this i think its fair to see that the imagery in mos also functions in multiple ways just like in bvs

it signals things relevant to the plot within the movie but also our own perspectives outside the movie
>>
>>67790553
also when he saves the oil workers
water is used in mos and bvs
>>
File: superman.png (44 KB, 1890x268) Image search: [Google]
superman.png
44 KB, 1890x268
>>67790379
thank you for this
>>
>>67788624
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-MUzvASr8s
>>
>>67790379
Truth be told, i think Snyder is one of those directors who make amazing films, but he's just called a hack and people meme the fuck out of it. No one bothers to actually see what he is saying.
>>
>>67790673
And what is he saying? That he thinks superman is Jesus, ok great so?
>>
>>67790843
>replies to a post about how the jesus imagery is not about him being jesus
>LOL SUPERMAN IS JESUS
nigga what?
>>
>>67790843
well in bvs snyder kills the idea of a personal savior that comes from above so yeah i'd say there's more going on than just muhh superman is jesus
>>
>>67790843
He's also saying Jesus would destroy half a city. Did you even watch the movie?
>>
>>67790977
So he's saying that religion is destructive.

Based Snyder.
>>
>>67790617
>lex says "help"

lex confirmed pussy

FUCKING DROPPED
>>
>>67790932
That's just reinforcing the Jesus imagery with the resurrection and all. But what's the point? What is he trying to say?

Is there a point? Or is it just tacked on for no reason?

Do you need a Jesus metaphor for a guy that straight up says he wants to save the world?
>>
>>67790188
Really? They're going to use Thanos's less known DC clone? Just like that after Infinity Wars release and Marvel carefully paving the way for their big villain during a decade and a dozen movies?

How bad is this going to tank?
>>
>>67790379
Indeed, that montage is all about Clarke taking on the burden that humanity is thrusting upon him reluctantly, because he doesn't want to be see as a god.

That show of him dragging a cargo ship in arctic, same thing. He's dragging along a man-made steel monstrosity across the wasteland because humanity placed it there and only he can fix it.

When people complaining he's not happy while saving people, it's not that he hates saving people, it's that he hates what it does to him and what they think of him as a result. He's just trying to do the right thing, but he's becoming far more to people than just a guy who is trying to help.
>>
>>67791149
because he doesn't want to be see as a god but but he still wants to do the right thing*
>>
>>67791149
So how is that an allegory for a man who was called King of Kings and proudly proclaimed to be the God's Son and Saviour of mankind

Explain to me how that works
>>
>>67787327
>Afaik he's the only autistic mainstream movie maker.

Kubrick
>>
>>67788525

He once killed Zodd in the comics kek
>>
Adam West is the Best Batman, bcause he never kills
>>
>>67791236
I don't claim it is. I, and the guy I quoted, I think, both agree that Superman is seen as a god by the public first at foremost. Synder is just conveying that visually through common Christian motifs to the audience.
>>
>>67789410
>>67789512
what the hell are you two talking about? he blows up multiple trucks with people in and around them. he then grabs one of the guys who is spraying bullets and aims the gun at the other guys
>>
>6 heroes introduced
>not one(1) moment where a suprhero gets to take off their mask and get a reaction

There's something seriously fucking wrong with Snyder's ideas when every character has that "Oh you knew I was a superhero already? That's unexpected but ok" moment.

Nothing feels more ruined than the fact that there was barely ever a phase where they had actual secret identities between each other in these shitty movies.
>>
>>67790379
>In other words, we're watching a story of a man struggling to be accepted as just a man when his own nature and environment conspire to make him seem like a god.
Which is spelled out when he saves that person from the fire and people are reaching out to touch him as if he is a godly enttity and he just looks uncomfortable. It is hardly a hidden message.
>>
>>67791409
>both agree that Superman is seen as a god by the public first at foremost

Yes and? What's the point? What's the payoff?

The guy is called Superman and is the strongest entity on the planet, why do you need Jesus imagery to convey his godlike status?

What's the point?
>>
Everybody talking about Superman's character in this movie is completely missing the point. The point isn't that it's not interesting, the point is that Snyder was supposed to be making a Superman movie and this isn't Superman's character at all. Even in the Golden Age he wasn't like he is in this movie.

If Snyder wanted to make a movie about a superhero with immense power struggling with a society divided between worshiping him and hating him, maybe he should have created his own character in his own universe for that.
>>
>>67791815
>What's the point?
Because it's a character study of what would happen if Superman was real.

Because he's just a regular guy thrust upon with a shit ton of responsibility, and he is reacting to it like a regular human would.

It's a theme in the movie, after explosion at the hearing, he is lost and thinking of renouncing being superman. Be as it may, even when he simply tries to do good, there are always consequences to his actions, and sometimes they can be tragic, despite good intentions.

Eventually he makes his choices, comes back, and then sacrifices himself in the process of protecting humanity, serving as an inspiration to them in the after-math.

People make him out to be a god, he isn't one, but his inability to meet their unrealistic expectations won't stop him from doing the right thing.
>>
>>67792017
>Because it's a character study of what would happen if Superman was real.

That was not my question, my question is why you need Jesus imagery to convey Superman's godlike status when he flies and shots laser out of his eyes.

Why do you need this heavy-handed symbolism to convey something that is apparent on first glance?

Unless you want to imply that Jesus wanted to be seen as just some guy, in that case I can only laugh
>>
>>67791958
>not my superman

MoS and BvS are the only two things that ever let me give a fuck about Superman. I'm glad they exist.
>>
>>67792017
No he doesn't make a choice. He comes back because Lois has been thrown from the edge of a building.
>>
>>67783751
>Yawn
Please leave
>>
>>67792101
>my question is why you need Jesus imagery to convey Superman's godlike status
The main audience of this movie is Western. Christianity is the main religion of the Western World.

>Unless you want to imply that Jesus wanted to be seen as just some guy
Jesus being conflicted between his humanity and godhood is a pretty common theme in Christianity actually.

Father, if it be Thy will, take this cup away from me.
>>
File: Opinions.jpg (98 KB, 436x705) Image search: [Google]
Opinions.jpg
98 KB, 436x705
>>67782223
>I swear half the time I think this guy is a total genius
Fucking how
>>
>>67792160
The two coincide. It probably would have been clearly in the 3 hours version where there is more Clark surreal stuff on the mountain top. Apparently he also talks to Zod before comes back.

Which by the way also harkens back to Jesus in the desert, where he accepts his fate.
>>
>>67792314
Which does beg the question of why you need to belabor the point if it so obvious.

But moving on, if the Director's cut is the right version of a movie meant to set up a cinematic universe, Snyder went wrong at some point in the filmmaking process.
>>
>>67790379
It's funny that Lex calls him a god, but knows he's really just a man(even if an alien), while everyone else sees him as a god but stop short of saying so.
>>
>>67792101
Not same guy
>Jesus imagery

Drawing inspiration from beautiful artistic interpretations of Jesus from the Renaissance era trigger fedora tippers
>>
>>67792409
In some interview I heard he fought for it, but the studio made him gut it, promising a Driector'' Cut.

The studio always prefers shorter run time though, so a movie can be played more times in the theater.
>>
>>67792116
"not muh _____" is a perfectly valid criticism when you're adapting something.
>>
>>67792512
this. im assuming he's pretty religious since Zack has 8 kids
>>
>>67792581
He's an objectivist apparently, so I doubt it.
>>
>>67792526
Perhaps, but most people will see the theatre cut, either in theatre or through piracy.

So it seems to me it goes wrong in the editing process.

>>67792512
I doubt tippers are so numerous that Snyder purposefuly tried to annoy them.

And even so, people have been comparing Jesus and Superman for a long time, that sort of imagery is expected. Wether the comparison is appropriate or not.
>>
>>67791695
That scene, with everyone painted up as skulls for the Day of the Dead, might also be an echo of the skull sequence from MoS, with a slightly different meaning now.

One could interpret it as almost an omen. Deifying Clark will lead to the death of us, or at the very least his accepting that deification could.
>>
> If you didn't like the film you obviously weren't paying attention!

Shithead.
>>
Hi
>>
>>67792537
It's a brilliant fine adaption. Sorry you don't like it.
>>
>>67783669
>MUH CHILDHOOD

cancer
>>
>>67792759
Yep. In both cases, Clark is devoured by humanity, both times because of his love for them, but the 2nd time around it's affecting his very core being.
>>
>>67792790
Hey Zack, how's it going?
>>
>>67787119
>smarter than me = autistic

classic
>>
>>67782223
It means you're slowly developing mature taste

you're almost an adult anon!
>>
>>67792698
i guess he just likes fucking his wife a lot then
>>
>>67792581
Nah he is just a horny guy with like 10 ex wife's
>>
>>67792874
I disagree that his love for humanity is the theme.

In MoS he either lives as a Kryptonian, or dies as a human. The choice he makes, he does when put in front of the horror of Zod's plan. He has the power of life and death over them.

In BvS, he is idolised for his power, which echoes the skull scene because those whom he choose to save are still alive, but their lives are put in his hands. They are the walking dead.
>>
>>67789047
>>67791129

Why the fuck would anyone argue DC vs Marvel?

It's like arguing over whether it's more enjoyable being fucked in the ass or sucking cock.

Both capeshit and such sexual degeneracy are objectively terrible, unenjoyable and only justifiable due to our modern degenerate culture. Ultimately it doesn't matter whether you watch marvel or dc, or whether the cum ends up in your mouth or asshole.

You're a filthy degenerate for partaking in either. (cockuse or comicwatching)
>>
>>67793600
I'm not arguing marvel vs DC, saying that a studio has produced forgettable films is not choosing a side. So far, for me, MoS and BvS have been better than anything Marvel has made and has been much more memorable for me
>>
>>67791077
i just told you, the idea of a personal savior god is killed.
on screen we see the negation what we commonly think of as christianity
batman is then the representation of what christianity is supposed to be in our own world
>>
>>67793574
>In MoS he either lives as a Kryptonian, or dies as a human.
That's true, but he could have chosen to join Zod and become a Kryptonian, his love for humanity stopped him from ever seriously considering that path.

>In BvS, he is idolised for his power, which echoes the skull scene because those whom he choose to save are still alive, but their lives are put in his hands.
Sure, but he doesn't have to save them. He does love humanity and does act, even though it is sort of a burden that he takes upon himself out of his own accord. Sure their lives are in his hands, but who he has become as a person is in theirs.

I don't think love of humanity is a theme exactly, it's just that his connection to humanity and how it devours and defines his very existence is underlined in both of those scenes.
>>
>>67784920
>>67790188
>>67791129

That's Trigon you plebs. It's got devil horns and four eyes
>>
>>67793742
I agree good sir, but how do you feel about Winter Soldier? That movie seems to me to be the one Marvel film worth rewatching.
>>
>>67788918
not him but suckerpunch directors cut is ok
not great but not the shitshow the theatrical cut is
>>
not muh = heresy
i'll repeat
saying not muh is the same as religious people who argue about religious concepts

not muh is saying that the movie doesn't fulfill your power fantasy or your desire for a personal guardian angel

all these things are addressed in the movie
all these things are what is killed and negated metaphysically, in the sense that they are ideas in our minds that affect how we see the world and therefore how the world is
>>
I think the digging for depth that is clearly not there is stretching enough to make even Mr. Fantastic pull a muscle. But fuck it lets give Snyder the benefit of the doubt. Let's say all that extra layer of depth through symbolism is there.

That still doesn't help the movies be less convoluted and downright retarded at times, and it doesn't help that he ruins characters just for the shoe horned symbolism. If anything the symbolism is dragging it all down, especially when it's meant to be more real, it gets thrown it the second a big boom happens and it doesn't make sense that they didn't have any hearings after metropolis, but immediately after some bullshit in Africa.

The movies are still dumb, pretentious, and take themselves way too fucking seriously with absolutely no pay off. Unless you count jacking off to holes in the wall as pay off.
>>
>>67793828
>I don't think love of humanity is a theme exactly, it's just that his connection to humanity and how it devours and defines his very existence is underlined in both of those scenes.
Well yes, that's Superman.

Overall, I disagree that MoS and BvS are completely terrible tripe.

But while both movies can be analysed to hell and back, the lasting appeal is fairly limited for the common viewer, myself included. Which I'd say is the biggest problem. It does the job, but it lacks the spark that makes it come alive.

Superman does not really come off as a saviour, which is not a bad thing. But he hardly comes off as a anything other than someone who is trying to do the best he can.
And that's okay if you are looking at Superman from the viewpoint of say, Batman or Lois. People close to him.

While building up a cinematic universe, this is best reserved for solo movies. Because then the scenario can explore the other side of the character. Here, especially in BvS, it comes off busy and either too understated or hamfisted.
>>
>>67794227
>the lasting appeal is fairly limited for the common viewer
Well what do you mean by that? I have little desire to re-watch most superhero movies myself. MoS and Winter Soldier are the only two I think I've seen more than once, and I enjoyed both.

>While building up a cinematic universe, this is best reserved for solo movies.
Probably true, but I don't especially care much about how DC/Warner is setting up their universe. They sure do come off as desperate.

In any case, I can't wait for director's cut, I think this movie could be significantly improved if there truly is 30 minutes of scenes.
>>
>>67794078
not muh symbolism
>>
>>67794028
i don't disagree, but it's still pretty bad. All his director's cuts are better though.
>>
>>67793964
it's easily the best Marvel film, bogged down mostly by the rest of the franchise
>>
>>67795181
I'm glad someone else agrees. Most Marvel fans always want to laud GotG or Avengers, and both of those movie seem like cartoons rather than movies to me.
>>
>>67793860

>then the devil will do it

oh fuck fampai
>>
>>67795269
the problem is that companies are being short sighted. They want to sell toys, so being cool and getting kids in seats is #1
if they went long term and tried to make the Blade Runner of capeshit, where it isn't for kids, but still amazing they would earn more long term
>>
>>67791129
>Darkseid
>Thanos clone

I'm fucking triggered, well done.
>>
>>67795679
Well companies care about profit more than renown. Blade Runner won't make as much money as a Transformers flick.
>>
>>67795947
i know ;-;
>>
>>67796084
At the very least, MoS and BvS are going to go down as unique movies no doubt, because no one is going to attempt to make serious movies with that kind of budget for decades now probably.

I fully except DC to go full quipshit in all their future movies.

Shit.
>>
>>67796171
I think they are going to test the waters with SS and WW and then Let snyder do his thing, since that leak basically said he can still do what he wants, but is gone if JL p1 bombs
>>
>>67792908
What are you talking about? I am autistic. I can recognize one of my own kind.
>>
File: Subplots a mess.png (117 KB, 1881x366) Image search: [Google]
Subplots a mess.png
117 KB, 1881x366
>>67782223
>>
>>67796230
It said he was still director, not that he could do whatever he wants. Unless we're thinking of a different leak.

WB would be insane not to put the clamps on him a little at this point. If he bungles JL1 that's IT, their new studio-supporting blockbuster line is up in flames.
>>
File: ????????? ?????.png (41 KB, 610x252) Image search: [Google]
????????? ?????.png
41 KB, 610x252
JUST
>>
>>67797103

fake
>>
>>67794794
>MoS and Winter Soldier are the only two I think I've seen more than once
Well the point is that you want to see more of those characters, that's what I meant by lasting appeal. In this case, its fits a specific public, but I'd rather say that's all. And, again, that's a big failure when trying to make a cinematic universe. As you say here
>I don't especially care much about how DC/Warner is setting up their universe. They sure do come off as desperate.

And yes the director's cut is probably where its at.

My biggest issue it that MoS and BvS have a few good ideas that translate well, and I like the fact they're really not afraid to show their charaters for the powerehouses they are, but the movie as a whole feels mostly hollow.
>>
>>67797455
They seem deeply flawed to me, but not hollow. I think what they are trying to get across doesn't always work, but when it works it seems to be emotional and internally consistent. And even when it doesn't work, I think I know what they were getting at.

I dunno, hollow isn't the problem for me, I see plenty of substance. I think delivery is the main problem for me.
>>
>>67783855
This makes my dick hard as steel
>>
File: 1349193579415.jpg (62 KB, 460x288) Image search: [Google]
1349193579415.jpg
62 KB, 460x288
>>67790379

One of the dumbest posts i have ever seen on this website (that is saying a lot in this den of plebbary).

Did you even think about what you were sperging onto the keyboard as you wrote it? I bet not.
>>
>>67783855
apparently there was also a 3 hour version of The Force Awakens

it's almost as if they made both movies by just shooting scenes at random until they had something they could edit into a movie. as if there was no clear artistic intent when they started filming. as if they were just movie-shaped products being made to a specific deadline. as if.
>>
File: marvel.jpg (86 KB, 679x864) Image search: [Google]
marvel.jpg
86 KB, 679x864
>>67797765
>>
>>67797765
I'm the author and if that's the best rebuttal you have to offer, come back in a few years when your balls drop and we'll discuss it more.
>>
>>67797765
see>>67797765
>>
>>67798507
i kekd
>>
Zack Snyder sure loves anime

https://youtu.be/qZjbNhLODKU
>>
>>67798455
>I'm the author

Then you pretty much solidified your place right alongside /v/ in plebeian central.
>>
>>67798865
Refute it then. Tell me where I'm wrong. "It's stupid" cuts zero ice.
>>
>>67796818
kek so how does this prove it's a mess anon?
>>
>>67790144
this x1000

post-reddit invasion /tv/ wouldn't stand for this much manchild degeneracy
>>
>>67799226
whoops *pre
>>
>>67799226
>it's 2014 poster thats literally only here because of reddit pretending to be a local that was around before
You probably believe baneposting is in favor of TDKR too, don't you?
>>
>>67799286
I think it's safe to say that Baneposting attained a life all its own.
>>
>>67784959
I agree wholeheartedly.
>>
>>67799310
Yes because of you invaders
>>
>>67788089
just please fuck off back to r*ddit
>>
File: 1447540987636.jpg (20 KB, 500x335) Image search: [Google]
1447540987636.jpg
20 KB, 500x335
>>67799286
fuck off faggot you don't know me

you don't even know yourself
Thread replies: 203
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.