[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what would you say is the biggest problem today when it comes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
File: theabandoned.jpg (126 KB, 1400x900) Image search: [Google]
theabandoned.jpg
126 KB, 1400x900
what would you say is the biggest problem today when it comes to modern horror movies?
>>
The audience and their ADHD.
>>
that "horror" for filmmakers is now "startle with loud noises and jump scares"
>>
>>67781324
They keep trying to avoid horror cliches and end up making something that isn't a horror movie at all
>>
>>67781324
most people who pay to go see horror movies are fucking pothead retards with at least one facial piercing, and the companies who shit out horror movies play to what these retards want to see again and again.
>>
>>67781387
>insidious: the startling
>>
>>67781711
well what kind of movies do u like?
>>
>>67781781
JUST
>>
File: Glen_Lantz_Bed.jpg (31 KB, 839x457) Image search: [Google]
Glen_Lantz_Bed.jpg
31 KB, 839x457
No creativity
>>
Not enough creativity.

Too much emphasis on tropes/jump scare tactics. Like why in the heavenly fuck has there not been a Lovcraftian style movie? I mean I literally can't fathom why no one's bothered to go the cosmic horror route.
>>
They've actually improved in the last 10 years with the first Saw, It Follows, Babadook, The Witch, and Let The Right One In all coming out in that period.

No one ever admits that the present is good. Certainly much better than the 1990s were for horror. Fucking whiners. And the "wah wah jump scares" is way overplayed and rarely relied upon cheaply in good horror movies.
>>
File: large_cabinfeverpatientzero1.jpg (66 KB, 400x581) Image search: [Google]
large_cabinfeverpatientzero1.jpg
66 KB, 400x581
since im op i feel i can ask this.
what did u think of it?
>>
>>67781324
They shit themselves in the third act. This is true even if good horror movies, which are usually only remembered for the build up, not the conclusion.
>>
>>67781324
Modern cynicism.
>>
horror shouldn't be a genre in itself. it should be a part of a grander scheme.
>>
File: 1401368074325.gif (901 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1401368074325.gif
901 KB, 500x375
A lot of things. I feel like every other horror movie that comes out today is either some meta, breaking the fourth wall horror comedy satire or another cheaply made piece of uninspired, Hollywood shlock.

That being said, I agree with >>67781948
There are good horror movies coming out, and it's a bit crazy to see stuff like The Witch or The Babadook be as popular as they actually are. Pretty much everyone has an idea of what a horror film is, and it's hard to stray too far from that formula without distancing yourself from the audience or doing something original with those guidelines.
>>
at least the gooks still occasionally produce a good horror movie
>>
>>67781880
Because Lovecraft will never translate well to cinema when so much of his shtick is about a horror so unfathomable that it can't be described
>>
Why are there so few good horror films in general though? Why is it so difficult?

It's one of the cheapest and most profitable genres.
>>
>>67782374
>it's a bit crazy to see stuff like The Witch or The Babadook be as popular as they actually are

when I went to see the Witch it seemed like I was the only person in the place who enjoyed it. Plenty of the normie idiots who went to see it loudly groaned when it ended
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.