[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who is the greatest stand-up comedian of all time, and why i
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: emo philips.jpg (230 KB, 459x680) Image search: [Google]
emo philips.jpg
230 KB, 459x680
Who is the greatest stand-up comedian of all time, and why is it Emo Philips?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbk6j3sOX1Y
>>
seems like a shitty Bobcat Goldthwait mixed with Tiny Tim
>>
>>67754628
I'll give you the comparison, but I don't see how you think he's shitty.
>>
>>67754545
I was like "where have I seen this guy before?" but it was actually just his voice from Adventure Time. Pretty clever, I could almost do without the voice. It's like Maria Bamford, but better. Still though, I do think it's heavy handed.
>>
File: phil the shill.jpg (281 KB, 1193x894) Image search: [Google]
phil the shill.jpg
281 KB, 1193x894
>>67755797
He was also in the Phil Collins episode of Miami Vice.
>>
>>67755862
Can't say I ever saw an episode.
>>
>>67754628
>shitty Bobcat Goldthwait
I don't think anything can be shittier
>>
Gallagher.
No contest.
>>
>>67756307
Oh, come on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0qAfWWQJ5w
>>
Pros and cons...to his credit, he was pretty original and out there. People must have been generally like "what the fuck is this shit" when he was on the stage...takes serious balls to do that, so I respect him. As for the Bobcat comparison, Bobcat was definitely more of a comedian who talked weird than a weirdo who happened to be a comedian...Emo is almost a proto-Neil Hamburger, where you half laugh at his wit and half feel sorry for him and basically cringe all the way through...that might be the point, I guess...Kaufman style theatrics. I liked him in UHF though...
>>
>>67758553
I think that's underselling him. His wordplay is some of the finest stand-up comedy has ever seen.
>>
Point taken...but his persona was a pretty love or hate it situation...that's why I thought of Kaufman. Andy loved to antagonize the crowd...almost to get them to hate him, then turn it around and find that "aah it was all a joke" embrace...I feel like Emo was that guy too, but didn't click enough to really get on that Bobcat level (who did freak people out, but still had that camaraderie with the crowd...I remember this one part from the Bobcat "Share the Warmth" special where he was like "I hope we all die tonight" out of nowhere...the crowd laughed and then went kind of silent, because he was kind of serious...and it was awesome...
>>
>>67758929
>>67759483
kek so close
>>
>>67759483
I see Andy and Bobcat doing that. I think Emo's bit was more for the effect of making his jokes funnier. Taking on the persona of someone who doesn't really understand the difference between right and wrong. It makes it funnier when his normal sentences suddenly take a really dark turn.

"I like to go to the playground and watch the kids all run and scream because... they don't know I'm using blanks."
>>
>>67754545
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYYuyvyr2HY
>>
>>67754545
this guy was in that phil collins episode of miami vice
>>
File: review-emo-phillips.jpg (30 KB, 650x397) Image search: [Google]
review-emo-phillips.jpg
30 KB, 650x397
He was on an episode of Review, too.
>>
>>67754545
goddamn i hate this faggot
>>
Always loved him as Shannon on Home Movies. Love his timing on his stand up.
>>
>>67754545
I swear I've seen this same exact thread before

Ultimate fedora tipper autist comedian
>>
Bump. I love stand up threads. The Situation is my favorite comedian.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.