[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
BvS Discussion
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 17
Analysis and deconstruction aside, which scenes moved you the most?

I was in awe at the idea of Doomsday's creation. He's the amalgamation of Zod's hatred of Earth and Lex's hatred of God, truly something demonic. It was also shocking how even the ship's AI was aware that the creation of this being was a crime to creation, and despite this Lex went on with the procedure in tears.
>You flew too close to the Sun.

The allegory of smashing the pillar with the names of the people that died in the World Engine incident on Superman's head was very clever. The fight was truly Hellish. Superman's sacrifice was a gesture of true love towards Lois.
>THIS is my world. YOU are my world.

Of course, sheltered cynics whine that the big baddie doesn't have the same spikes or powers that the one in the comics has.

For all I care, for the next one they can kill all of the Justice League's members and Darkseid offscreen, and make it about Lois reporting Metropolis football, as long as it's as powerful and sincere as this one. I'd rather have that instead of 100 Disney corporate-crafted quip fests, but that's just me.
>>
>>67754364
I liked the part where superman sacrificed himself to kill doomsday.

Even though pretty much half of the world shat on him through the whole movie, it was a bit nice to see he was still willing to do that
>>
Was Lex crying in that scene? Why?
>>
>>67754696
cuz he found out he ran out of jars to pee in :(
>>
>>67754364
Why did Zuckerberg DNA + Kryptonian Goo (pretty human overall) = flaming eyeballs and electro discharges?

Why not just resurrect Zod and juice him up to fight with LexCorp tech?
>>
So do we think superman is going to come back evil, ie the injustice route or what?
>>
>>67754696
Cuz doomsday was black so lex probably got cucked
>>
>>67754791
Fuck knows senpai maybe there was more shit in the pool than was let on who knows
>>
>>67754791
Retard
>>
>>67754848
James Woods?
>>
https://soundcloud.com/anything-but-qualified/327-batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice

if you've got the time
>>
The thing that bothered during that fight was why Batman wasn't the one to go get the kryptonite spear. I mean the only thing he did was hide under a rock and runaway. He could have at least tried to make himself useful.
>>
>>67754972
He did shoot doomsday with a kryptonite grenade if that's anything, shoulda used his batmobile desu
>>
>>67754816
I thought Lois had to die for Superman to turn bad.
>>
>>67754364
The end credits scene. Somebody told me they existed. Waited all throughout the credits. No such luck. I was pissed. Still am.
>>
>>67754878
Please elaborate. I really would like to know how this was supposed to make sense.

Also why was he xbox hueg?
>>
People think you can just skip to a sunny paragon but with how real and cynical this universe is, that wouldn't work and you probably wouldn't buy it.

In modern Post Crisis Continuity when did people start to stand in awe of Superman and look to him as an ideal, icon, or paragon and a super-powerful closer? Can you name a super popular, beloved and famous Superman story arc between 1986 (Man of Steel reboot) and 1992 (Death of Superman)?

The Death of Superman was the START of the Superman everyone knows not something "earned" by that Superman. His death elevated his status in-universe and out, he became holier, and accordingly he became more powerful to deal with the power creep of everyone around him.

More or less the same thing happened in Justice League. Superman TAS barely held up Superman as an inspiration or moral figure. The League also kind of made him less important in that regard and in his strength. Yet, with time, to differentiate him, they'd LATER call him a pillar and level-up his strength to set him apart.

If you jump to paragon / powerful Supes in BvS, then the Justice League are irrelevant. They don't need to gather because Superman is basically strong enough. Even if they gather, their chemistry is uninteresting because we know Superman is always right. A Superman at that level this soon undermines the League. However, through Death, both Superman and the League are honored.

They gather because of his absence and inspiration, showing how important he was to the world in power and as an example. Then upon his return, they diffuse / remove all the heavy questions asked by BvS because now there's a whole League of them. And although his guidance is respected (which is why they assemble), he isn't an infallible paragon who's always right... there's still debate, discussion, sparks, and chemistry between the League and their differences.
>>
Look. I really liked most of the movie but Lex motivation made zero sense. Why bother bullshitting Batman for years when his ultimate plan was to make a kryptonian monster. Or why he hated Superman so much for being a God among men but yet he created doomsday?
>>
>>67754972
He was being thrown around like a rag doll and was knocked/ stunned at one point
>>
>>67755224
I think they cut it. Snyder likes to have metaphors fit everything, but not at the expense of actual plot. look at Zod for example
>>
I agree with most of what you are saying
But the Doomsday story and Death of Superman could have been more a lot more effective if Supes had more dialogue talking about guilt he felt and his overall philosophies. Lex Luthor has the role of presenting the human thesis against Superman, and the idea of the human's creation killing god is powerful -- bashing him over the head LITERALLY with perceived sins. Him pushing Doomsday into space and near desperately dragging him off into that abyss as the nuke came was great imagery. That Supes first instinct was to do that shows a greater maturity from Man of Steel. Should have used Doomsday gaining flying ability like Zod in order to explain why CLark needed to use the Spear of Longinus in the end, also some establishing of Doomsday being stronger than Wonder Woman to explain why she couldnt do it.
>>
>>67755224
Or why Bruce let himself to be manipulated?

Like why didnt he said "the fuck are these stupid ass letters? Im gonna find the faggot that is sending them and crush his hands so he stops being a faggot"
>>
>>67755188
What do you want to know be more precise

Why he could shoot lasers? Because Zod could and it's an inate kryptonian skill
>>
DAILY REMINDER:
BvS is not the final edition. Only the Syndercut counts, he fought to keep it and settled for DVD and Bluray so it wouldn't be lost

Always remember Man of Steel was literal unironic kino:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p5-14rjWUM
>>
>>67755224
I can't figure out any of his interaction with that senator. Neither of them make any sense. She's the head of the committee trying to hold Supes accountable for his actions and she goes on TV talking about how dangerous he is. Wouldn't she want a weapon to deter him? And if Lex just got the Kryptonite illegally why did he bother talking to her? It's been a few days so I may be forgetting but wasn't it that other guy whose mouth Lex stuck a jolly rancher into that got Zod's body and ship?
>>
>>67754364
Nothing in the entire movie "moved" me.

In fact I'd probably say that there hasn't been a single comic book movie with weaker characters.

I watched it just today and I'll boil down the pros and cons generally imo:

Good:
>Alfred.
I actually didn't mind the new sarcastic, pro-active Alfred. Its different, but its suitable.
>Batman
I don't think Affleck is amazing or anything, but he's a solid pick. He looks the part and speaks the part. I liked it
>The opening scene.
Now, I think its kind of strange that they'd open the movie MONTHS after the events of MoS since there's literally not a single thing that actually requires time to have elapsed, but the actual shots of Wayne seeing Metropolis destroyed is neat. Also, why are his offices in Metropolis though? Shouldn't they be in Gotham?
>The batman fight scene
It takes for fucking ever to get to but the one batman fight scene we get is quite well done. I like the way it was carried out, well shot, and had a nice weight to it. I don't care that he murders
>The BvS fight
Of course the titular fight was pretty good. It wasn't anything too special, but it was neat to see at least. I thought the action was kind of neat. If you want to nit pick it doesn't make a lot of sense that batman wouldn't have just had the spear to kill superman right after the first gas, but oh well, its a movie. Idk why people take this movie seriously when it has contrivances like these. I guess Batman just wanted to REALLY make superman suffer for some reason.

Cons (too many to count, but the ones I hated most):
>The music
Hans Zimmer is usually quite good actually, but I found the music in this movie to be extremely heavy handed. Yes, I understand that assigning a "theme" to each character is good to set tones, but when you have such archetypical I-AM-THE-BAD-GUY themes it just feels cartoony, which is really fucking ironic considering what the movie is going for. I REALLY wish we'd gotten more of the MoS theme CONT
>>
>>67755385
I don't recall Zod being giant or shooting off energy discharges into the air.

Also his eyes were quite glowy when not shooting the laser beams, so I don't know how that works either.
>>
>>67755224
His first plan was to give Batman the chance to kill supes, and the only way to do that was to manipulate Batman into doing so by taunting him and inciting his hatred for supes. But he had to have a plan B which he got when he was able to work with the body of zod and the kryptonite goo.
>>
>>67755381
Let himself be manipulated? He was gonna come after Lex right after, the warning of the batarang in the kryptonite cell. But his autistic rage against Supes got the better of him
>>
>>67755448
>Lois Lane
She has very little character, she's just used to shove the plot along mainly. I REALLY wish they explained how she automatically found the exact location of Batman and Supes' fight JUST in time. How? Right before she leaves she hears about the ship so it'd make sense she'd go there right? She had no way of knowing that Lex told Supes to kill batman so why go there? And even if she followed the signal on a whim, she'd still have to find the lowest level AND the specific room AND be there just in time. Then she throws away the spear... And sure, that could make sense. But then why does she stay there? The helicopter is presumably still waiting around and she just waits after the fight at the port instead of covering the ship's activity? It makes no fucking sense. She just stands around conveniently.

>dream sequences
A bunch of needless dream sequences that establish ideas and themes that are redundant or overburdened and which could just as easily be put directly into the movie if they wrote it more intelligently.

>Berry White
He seems like a brain dead cunt. Why the fuck does he not care about Gotham? Its apparently RIGHT within sight of Metropolis so you'd think that both cities would have comparable crime or at least take interest in one another. He just seems obnoxious and unnessary.

>The set up
How the fuck would anyone believe superman shot people? What? How does any of that make sense? And why would they declare superman undeniably responsible without ANY evidence? Only Lois was there and there's no way she would have incriminated Superman. So who testifed? This is stupid.

>MY SUGGESTIONS:
The movie should have started directly after the events of man of steel. Have it be literally the next week or something. No monuments, show the crater, show the rebuilding, she the fallout. Play on the viceral emotions FOR the trial. If you want a political movie than use your set up for all its worth.
>>
>>67755466
Him being large is part of the degradation of combining a foreign dna the ships computer says as much.

As for the emp discharge it's not explained though it could be a simple offshoot of his laser eyes
>>
>>67755823
>it's not explained

Is this the DC fancucks new favorite word?
>>
>>67755891
Again, why would they need to? It's just another exotic power showcased by an alien who's undergone forced biological change

It's less of a power up more like an unstable reaction
>>
>*drooling intensifies*
>DING DING DING DING DING

DCucks will defend this.
>>
It's just a dumb superhero movie about a guy who dresses like a bat fighting an alien who flies and shoots lasers from his eyes and is allergic to a green rock, but then they make peace because their mothers have the same name and they join efforts to fight a CGI monster. Stop pretending it's so 3deep5u, retards.
>>
>>67756240
Literally missing the point
>>
>>67756240
but literally no one is saying that.

everyone already deems this movie as shit, so shit infact that it's not even a good popcorn flick.
It's just another one of snyder's attempt to be even more pretentious than he already is. Albeit the most expensive one of his attempts.
>>
>>67756084
>tfw that was the most retarded shit I've ever watch since that one ice cube flick.

Will hack snyder do anymore of these big budget DC films? If so, it's fucking doomed.
>>
truly king of /tv/
>>>/v/332884592
>>
>>67756040
Yea bros it's just a movie lol just turn your brain off.
>>
Bruce speech to Alfred about his ancestors being hunters

The funeral even if it felt rushed and out of place.
>>
Batman killed at least ten people.

Gal Gadot can't act.

Batman was extremely autistic and unlikable.
>Why did you say Marfa, why did you say dat name? AGhhgha

Flash is one ugly fucker.

Lex Luther was pretty terrible.

Supes was alright but the movie made sure to shit on him as much as possible.

Aquaman scene was bizarre.
>>
Eh. Just got back from it. The only scenes that "moved" me in any way were the Batman scenes, and the Lex scenes.

Batman scenes in a good way, and Lex scenes in a bad way.

The rest of the movie was just boring. It felt like filler for what essentially boiled down to about 30 minutes of footage: Supes and Lex talk about Martha up to Supes death. Everything else didnt seem to matter, it was chock full of symbolism and illusions to things that just didnt make much sense.

I get it, though, Supes is a God to mankind, Batman is broken, but its like they had no other idea how to convey this aside from just being hamfisted about it. I hate bringing up the "Martha, shes his mother!!" but that, and the following flashbacks to the flashbacks we've already seen just prove how thin Bruces hatred for Superman was, and how pointless the entire thing was.

If they had actually gone the full Monty with The Dark Knight Returns, "The one man who beat you" speech and the fight just being a test, with some sprinkles of Death of Superman/Injustice then it would have been a good movie. But no, Synder was adamant on having this be his swan song with the two most iconic heroes ever, and only wanted to take a little tiny smidge of inspiration from those movies and tried to spread it across two and half hours.

Would have just been better if they made it a Batman movie with Superman being a guest star.
>>
People asking why he made Doomsday, think about the creation scenes -- how he cries when examining Zod. The Greek Icarus flew too close to the sun and fell, Zod and the other Kryptonians came across the universe simply to restore their people. Yet Superman struck them down, in Lex's eyes, to cement his status as a god. He gives the genesis chamber his own DNA and weeps viewing the lethal results of Superman's righteousness. "If God is all-good, then he cannot be all-powerful" Lex manically laments as he remembers the abuses of his father. So if the super man's intentions for humanity are so supremely pure that he would act as destroyer for his own race, then there is no way he will never live up to them. The largest departure from comic book Lex Luthor is that he is no longer antagonizing Superman out of jealousy, beneath it all is a despair that Superman cannot fulfill the promise he made to this world.
>>
>>67758033
By his interaction with the ship and Zod, Lex is more abridge between 2 worlds than Superman will ever be. After Zod is reborn, Lex reaches out to embrace him. Mad scientist Lex Luthor is more a spiritualist as the ghost of Krypton arises to meet him. The worlds torn asunder by Superman, rather explicitly or implicitly, are linked by a shared experience of moral objectivism. Zod's unerring beliefs could not coexist with the Superman the same as tumultuous nature of humanity cannot. "If man won't kill God, then the devil will do it", there's double meaning: first off, Batman failed to end the Superman, but more importantly, Superman refused to give up his goodness - his godliness - viewing the underbelly of mankind. Batman's character arc in this movie is remembering that moral absolutes do still exist, then Lex's arc is attempting to prove to the world that they do as well. He never thought Superman would kill Batman. A layman would view Lex's catalog of metahuman files as brought on by paranoia. "The oldest lie in America is that power can be innocent" -- think of this of the objectivist scale, not the relativist one. These extraordinary people Lex catalogued cannot simply exist and be complacent, they factually must be like Superman as either savior or destroyer. Remember that despite aiding mankind, Prometheus was no man. Yet Lex's greatest fear is not that Olympus will succeed in stopping Prometheus - Superman has already brought down Olympus -, it's that humanity will. That necessitates the creation of Doomsday, the devil, a being rising against its destroyer. If Superman exists and is godly, then the devil must exist. If life is given to mankind by Prometheus, then anti-life must be given as well.

This, of course, perfectly ties together with the coming of Darkseid. In that deleted scene, he prays before Darkseid's church. Zack Snyder's Lex Luthor does not hate Superman. His villainy comes from believing in him the most out of anyone on the planet.
>>
>>67755473
>His first plan was to give Batman the chance to kill supes, and the only way to do that was to manipulate Batman into doing so by taunting him and inciting his hatred for supes.

Which he could have easily helped along by, you know, contacting Batman for a partnership and giving him the kryptonite. Instead of Batman having to steal it from him later.
>>
>>67754364
>in awe at the idea of Doomsday's creation
>amalgamation
>shocking
>powerful and sincere as this one

the lengths u retards will go to paint this movie as some deep intelligent film. if the critics loved it you would be calling it a piece of shit.
>>
Why did Superman warn Batman about not going next time they shine his light in the sky? No one had used the batsignal all movie and from the way Bruce and Alfred talked, Gordon wasn't around. The batsignal was mounted on a rundown building at the edge of the city.

Why did Superman come to talk, attempt twice with "Lex is doing this," and "You don't understand," but then after destroying Batman's gadgets, he shoves Batman like 100 feet away and doesn't try talking anymore? He just keeps wailing on him every chance he gets?

How did Lois know to get the spear back? She couldn't have possibly overheard Batman talking to Alfred in his Batwing over Rikers Island and she had been out at the building throwing the spear into the water while everyone else found out about Doomsday's existence. Her only knowledge of Doomsday was seeing it try to murder Batman after it chased him.
>>
>>67758177
"Professional" "critics" are a joke.
>>
>>67755134
BvS is not a Memevel flick. Why would ever think of sticking around after the credits?
>>
>>67758076
I am not sure if I want Lex Luthor to return because of this. He's done his duty. Batman's change proves it, good and evil exist. And Darkseid's coming will prove it even harder. As a character, he's finished
>>
>>67758177
If critics loved it, it WOULD be a piece of shit
>>
>>67758601
You realize you just proved my point with that statement, right?
>>
>>67758121
that's not how batman works, you can't make a partnership with him
>>
Im no big fan of superhero movies, seen BvS today, and I hated Jesse's performance, it seemed as if he was trying hard to act like Heath's Jocker, and Gadot's accent was infuriating. They ruined the experience for me.
>>
>>67754791

Zod plus lex's blood should have created a flaming homosexual monster
>>
>>67755466

solar flare, a superman skill but without its weak ponts in the case of doomsday, look it up
>>
>>67758660

the point of the anon was that /tv/ is filled by contrarians.

Age of Ultron was a worse movie by far, got good reviews and /tv/ hated it
>>
Doomsday is like kino Hulk.
>>
File: dwzQbFWLaM-12.png (21 KB, 300x250) Image search: [Google]
dwzQbFWLaM-12.png
21 KB, 300x250
>>67755891
How was Vision able to lift Thor's hammer?

>IT'S NOT EXPLAINED

MCU confirmed for calling the kettle cucked.
>>
>>67755891
There he is. There he goes again. Look, everyone! He posted it once again! Isn't he just the funniest guy around?! Oh my God.

I can almost see your pathetic overweight frame glowing in the dark, lit by your computer screen which is the only source of light in your room, giggling like a like girl as you once again type your little DCuck quip and fill in the captcha. Or maybe you don't even fill in the captcha. Maybe you're such a disgusting NEET that you actually paid for a 4chan pass, so you just choose the picture. Oh, and we all know the picture. The "epic" problematic Evans, isn't it? I imagine you little shit laughing so hard as you click it that you drop your Doritos on the floor, but it's ok, your mother will clean it up in the morning. Oh, that's right. Did I fail to mention? You live with your mother. You are a fat fucking fuckup, she's probably so sick of you already. So sick of having to do everything for you all goddamn day, every day, for a grown man who spends all his time on 4chan posting about how the first capekinography in history completely flew over your head. Just imagine this. She had you, and then she thought you were gonna be a scientist or an astronaut or something grand, and then you became a NEET. A pathetic Marveldrone NEET. She probably cries herself to sleep everyday thinking about how bad it is and how she wishes she could just disappear. She can't even try to talk with you because all you say is "DKEKS BTFO PRETENTIOUS TRASH." You've become a parody of your own self. And that's all you are. A sad little man laughing in the dark by himself as he prepares to indulge in the same old dance that he's done a million times now. And that's all you'll ever be.

Forever...
>>
>>67759554
is this legit or just a pasta I've yet to see
>>
I loved this movie and it's only flaw is Lex Luthor.
>>
>>67758316
>How did Lois know to get the spear back?
IMO she assumed that a weapon powerful enough to beat Superman should be powerful enough to have some effect on Doomsday, even without knowing that Doomsday was Kryptonian.
>>
>>67754364
I am with you OP I DUG Doomsday, that was legit NOT bad CGI. The glowing effects and firey eyes looked awesome, he animated well and I bought it when Doomsday stabbed Superman.
>>
>>67759585
It's real life.
>>
>>67759585
This is a spin on a old pasta but original AFAIK to this thread. I enjoyed it, Marvel people deserve this at this point, they are just beyond annoying at this point and need a reply pasta when they obviously try to shit in a thread.
>>
>>67758033
This movie definitely had a lot of shitty things but you notice how it stays with you and you can always find some deeper thing to think about. Some of the best posts on /tv/ have been DC Fans talking about the philosophies going on here.

I think most people dismissed Lex Luthor as raving mad but if you really parse his language I think he was putting forth a lot of himself in there and explaining his motivations by using madness language but all the same he had logic to it.
>>
>>67760110
Not everyone that liked it is a "DC Fan."
>>
>>67754364
>I was in awe at the idea of Doomsday's creation. He's the amalgamation of Zod's hatred of Earth and Lex's hatred of God, truly something demonic. It was also shocking how even the ship's AI was aware that the creation of this being was a crime to creation, and despite this Lex went on with the procedure in tears.
it seems like as the days go on more people make connections between overt use of associations within the movie. nice catch
i mean even the way it happens in the movie, i think most people who saw it as fantastical surreal symbolism recognized it right away and then individually and collectively we've been having trace associations bubbling to the surface

don't forget how doomsday destroys the statue of superman with superman himself

dumb your shit anons, avoid anything that is dismissive without reason, and i think eventually we'll start having bvs generals
>>
>>67760249
That'll happen when the extended version comes out, everyone will be flocking and begging for people to explain shit and spoonfeed.
>>
>>67754791
>promethean fire
>knowledge is power
>the creature is literally doomsday
>analogous to nuclear weaponry
>he gets nuke and gets stronger
>he explodes outwardly in a violent manner
>perversion of power
>>
>>67755220
>ignored
this perfectly incapsulates the movie and why it's done the way it's done
it starts by being cynical and doubting it's heroes but redeems and affirms them by the end, thus literally justifying the dcu
>>
>>67755429
she's looking at superman at a rational level, seeing all possibilities of how he uses his power
the senate hearing is where the conversation between superman himself and everyone else is supposed to start but it gets blown up by lex

she sees right through lex, exactly why he kills her. she directly opposes him in a way no one else did
>>67755224
lex never knew about the monster until he gets access to the ship and starts investigating
>>
>>67755378
this post raises an important detail in how superman is connected through MoS and BvS in many many ways to show his development
>the way his use of his own powers is represented
>the way he presents himself as superman
>his tactical decisions within physical conflict
>>
>>67755378
>But the Doomsday story and Death of Superman could have been more a lot more effective if Supes had more dialogue talking about guilt he felt and his overall philosophies.
All I needed to know that Superman felt guilty as fuck was when he asked his father if the cries of the horses ever stopped.
>>
>>67755448
>>67755746
in regards to these posts and the expectations therein:

BvS sets up and escalates many characters throughout the movie

batman is overt
how do we first see him?
how do we see him every time after that?
everyone obviously saw how different aspects of the batman character were perfectly represented

this escalation of character is also used with other characters as well, the movie is thoroughly choreographed
>>
>>67758033
>>67760110
the movie is absolutely filled with overt details
>>67758076
more parallels, something the movie is full of
seriously anons, look for all groupings of 2 within the movie, fucking everywhere
>>
>>67758316
it doesn't matter if batman never used it within the movie, it doesn't need to. we all already know what the bat signal is

superman is reacting tactically to batman's advances. they are both advancing their aggression which is something they both have to go through to understand each other

literally, the momentum of that scene is propelling them to the moment where they both see each other underneath the superhero guises
>>
>>67760557
>the movie is thoroughly choreographed
The charity event scene felt like a ballet between Diana, Bruce, Clark, Mercy, and Lex.
>>
>>67754364
When Batman saves Martha and says "I'm a friend of your son".
That had a humanitarian feel; how enemies can become friends which was the symbolism.
>>
>>67760636
>they are both advancing their aggression which is something they both have to go through to understand each other
There's mention a ton in the movie about how they're behaving like "boys." Only when the maternal figures of WW and Lois intervene they start to share and cooperate.
>>
>>67759980
>The glowing effects and firey eyes looked awesome
I agree I really enjoyed his lighted eyes. Personally I just hated how he kinda looked fake and didn't have enough spikes.

DON'T call me a hater I absolutely love this film I just wish Doomsday was designed a bit better!
>>
>>67759607
Nope Jessie as Lex was amazing. Really solid performance at acting as a psychotic quirky villain.

Researching into psychology; some crazy people REALLY do act like Lex did at end with the "Ding ding ding" as well as having that smiley happy attitude when deep inside they are "burning up" and feeling really depressed and angry with the world.

Jessie absolutely captured a realistic mental patient as after all that is what Lex is meant to be in this movie (well Lex's son).

I love how he just lifted his hands and got the other big bosses to bring him everything; like a spoiled child in a similar manner to the villain from Schindler's List - the German Commander who was loving life despite doing absolute evil.

Those who hate his character, do so because they do not understand the psychotic mental problematic mind of many "evil people" as I stated Jessie fully captures.
>>
>>67760692
perfectly brining me into a post i just made about wonder woman

you want to fuck her
she is an idealized statuesque woman who is on equal footing to bruce
>power is everywhere within the movie
bruce and diana are at times literally dancing on screen, they are posed in specific ways all the time and flow together and apart as in a dance. neither intimidated by the other at all
>boys can't share their toys
>boys share too
woman and man brought to an equal footing able to cooperate

she is both sexualized and also shown as a competent individual, contrasted to faceless women bruce has in bed

there is actually a lot of use of the male/female dynamic in the movie in general

>this is my world
>you are my world
>woman representing the earth to a guy that came from the sky
>their union represented by the joint bath and well scenes
>>
>>67755448
I actually enjoyed the various themes in the movie, particularly Lex's theme. I feel like cartoonish was exactly what they were going for here, considering how theatrical he is in the movie. Wonder Woman's was good by itself but didn't really fit her at all.

My main problem with the soundtrack was how inconsistent it was. Hans Zimmer has a very distinct style right? That's the style they use for the majority of the movie, but in certain scenes, (particularly towards the end with Doomsday) they start using LotR-tier "epic" music, complete with with way over-done choir. And since they don't have a composer who's actually good at making grandeur and epic scores, it just sounds like shit compared to the rest of the film.

Another gripe I had with the soundtrack was how they kept using the beginning of the Superman theme from the previous movie, but never went into its climax. I wanted to hear those awesome guitars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xc4AkejCgF8
>>
>>67760692
wow I never saw this symbolism in the movie.. only with bringing men and women together can we get peace whilst if it is just men together then we have war.

Sounds weird how I said it but Martha represented peace amongst 2 aggressive men fighting.
>>
>>67754364
Why does Doomsday look like the cave troll from lord of the rings on roods
>>
>>67760797
also something i think i'm gathering about the response to the movie is that it's literally

>you can't do that, that's not allowed

people literally don't want to let the movie flourish as what it is, even if it uses every tool at its disposal to convey what it wants to
>>
>>67760759
Jessie's performance is more nuanced than people are giving him credit for, almost hypnotic. All his lines are delivered in such an unconventional and unsettling way.

Most of the complaints about him are that he was "miscast", or doesn't act like the Luthor in the comics would, or that they "cringed" or felt uncomfortable watching him.

Armond hit the nail with this one, "Luthor (Jesse Eisenberg, who played Mark Zuckerberg in The Social Network and thus personifies the craven millennium) cynically whines about “The oldest lie in America: that power can be innocent.” He even threatens a senator (Holly Hunter) who heads an investigation into Superman’s guilt. Luthor’s obsession with Superman (“He answers to no one. Not even, I think, to God”) reveals envy that is unmistakably demonic; a development that coheres with Snyder’s spiritual-social vision of post–9/11 grief and desire for salvation."
>>
>>67760870
>Luthor’s obsession with Superman (“He answers to no one. Not even, I think, to God”) reveals envy that is unmistakably demonic; a development that coheres with Snyder’s spiritual-social vision of post–9/11 grief and desire for salvation."

This is just a string of completely meaningless buzzwords.
>>
>>67760851
>My main problem with the soundtrack was how inconsistent it was. Hans Zimmer has a very distinct style right? That's the style they use for the majority of the movie, but in certain scenes, (particularly towards the end with Doomsday) they start using LotR-tier "epic" music, complete with with way over-done choir. And since they don't have a composer who's actually good at making grandeur and epic scores, it just sounds like shit compared to the rest of the film.

this is on purpose

that scene in particular is pure fantasy on screen, it makes sense that the movie reflects that

the combination of junkie xl and zimmer is a purposeful choice that reflects the type of move the movie itself makes

>>67760857
the movie uses symbolism everywhere to justify there being a justice league
>>
>>67760907
No, it is comparing Luthor's envy and obsession with how people have become more cynical after 9/11. Actually your post proves this.
>>
Jesus fucking christ you DCucks are embarassing.

Stop smelling your own farts. Just accept that this movie was garbage, and either move on or demand better from WB/DC.
>>
>>67761036
>Jesus fucking christ you DCucks are embarassing.
>Stop smelling your own farts. Just accept that this movie was garbage, and either move on or demand better from WB/DC.
i don't care about dc
i don't care if the movie is garbage

what i do know is that the movie is at the very least an attempt to push the limits of ideas on screen, i'm not trying to convince anyone to have any particular view or feeling or thought to the movie, i'm relaying all the technical things i see in it

i'm open to being proven wrong, the thing is no one even tries.
>>
>>67760870
One scene I liked was when he asked for the corpse of Zod, calling it "the deceased Kryptonian." The other guy corrects him that it's "General Zod," and Luthor just replies "...Okay," as though he is aghast at how anyone could refer to a Kryptonian as a person.

Fantastic acting, or maybe I'm just looking too much into things.
>>
>>67761099
>what i do know is that the movie is at the very least an attempt to push the limits of ideas on screen

I thought you had to be over 18 to use 4chin?
>>
>>67761123
cavill says that eisenberg brings a subtle performance to lex

i invite anyone who wants to affirm their thoughts and look through interviews on youtube. in fact i suggest someone even make a podcast or youtube video and put everything made in this threads with citations from those videos to get a point across
>>
>>67754972
because lois lane would have died. Plus she's the key to all of this
>>
>>67761261
lois represents earth
>this is my world
>you are my world
>this said by a potent male figure from sky to a feminine figure of earth
>>
You are all a bunch of faggots for taking this film seriously
The movie was shit and had maybe 10 minutes of good content
Ironic shit posting is still shit posting.
>>
>>67760851
The soundtrack sounded pretty consistent to me.
Actually comparing Doomsday to LoTR isn't entirely accidental in my opinion. When he jumps to the top of Lex's tower and sends a discharge there's a shot of the tower from afar, and it looks for a second like the tower of Barad-Dur with Sauron's eye. Doomsday, as everyone else, is compared with a shitton of iconic characters and ideas:
>Fire-breathing dragon
>Mordred
>The Hydra
>Nuclear holocaust
>Falling meteorite
>King Kong
>>
>>67755409
just because it has symbolism it doesnt mean is good you stupid pleb, there are more things about a movie and this movie failed
>>
>>67754364
>>67758033
>>67758076
>>67760249
>>67760281
>>67760458
>>67760502
>>67760538
supposedly a deleted scene where he sees zod while up on the mountain
>>67760557
>>67760605
>>67760636
>>67760663
>>67760692
>>67760797
>>67760870
>>67760908
>>67761288
>batman is an apostle who carries the message of hope
>darkseid force of nature, apocalyptic
>parademons seen on screen as swarm of locusts
>darkseid 'brands' earth, much like how batman wills justice into the world through his brand and how superman is summoned by people while also tethered as a statue
>superman and doomsday cancel each other other. dialectical ouroboros, hegelian even
>supermen/thesis creates doomsday/antithesis sacrifices self to negate doomsday synthesis >>>hope
>hope is the new thesis
>the dreams
'you never really remember the beginning of a dream you always end up right in the middle of what's going on'
>immediate jump to imax, IMAX HUGE SHOT of dream
'it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange'
>nolan is a producer and has honest discussions with snyder
>the flash scene
>these leaks of darkseid as a force of nature who also uses dreams
>the intense visual fantastical spectacle of literal iconoclasm, metaphors made flesh on screen at the climax of the movie that represented both concepts within the movie but for our own world as well
>>
>>67754848
speking of cuks nd other tiggerin stuff https://youtu.be/bKW5025vHl0
>>
>>67760851

>>67761429
To expand on what I meant with the soundtrack being consistent:
Superman's piano theme is perfect, it represents hope rising and falling. Notice how the first four notes of the leitmotif do so. It appears in really emotional moments, whenever Clark is having doubts of how to act, hinting at the climax, but never reaching it. The theme is also hinted by playing the first note in a pivotal scene in the end, can't remember exactly when but I think it's when Supes is drowning or after being hit by the nuke, I'll have to recheck on that. But the point is that the theme finally reaches the climax when he sacrifices himself, and it's my personal favorite, just fucking beautiful after building it throughout the entire movie. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rdc6QjBNOOU

Batman's frantic strings fit perfectly with his state of mind. I also recall that Zimmer mixes in a hint of Diana's cello in Bats' theme whenever they share a glance the first time they meet at the charity event. It happens when she looks over her shoulder and when Bruce discovers that she stole his drive.
>>67760797
>they are posed in specific ways all the time and flow together and apart as in a dance
The scene where she tells him that she didn't stole her drive is an homage to Eyes Wide Shut.

Diana's theme's time signature is 7/8s. This time signature is often used in Greek folk music, and the electric cello mixed with the drums really gives it a modern/ancient warrior feel.

Supes and Lois' love theme is fantastic too, it appears in the bath scene, when he saves her from the fall, and when he rushes to save her from drowning even when the whole world's fate is at stake. It goes on par with the progression of both. First they have doubts about how their relationship would work, and he makes her a promise with the rose. He fulfills it when he realizes that she is his world, and is willing to sacrifice himself for her.
t. musicianfag
/rant
>>
>>67761673
>>67761752
>>67761429
>the movie jams as much reference and homage as it can within itself
>>67761752
>musically inclined people notice specific patterns within the movie, much how like people inclined to different literature, film, and ideas in general pick up on things that reference things that are familiar to them
>as far as i can tell 4chan is leading the effort in digging into the movie
>the whole movie is choreographed with an overt crescendo into the climax of the movie
>visual cues present return to tonal resolution ie bruce rising/the dirt rising dirt=earth=angels come from below

>today's use of social media
i take the movie to be a complete cultural opera using the biggest widest medium we currently have

>A Gesamtkunstwerk, translated as total work of art, ideal work of art, universal artwork, synthesis of the arts, comprehensive artwork, all-embracing art form or total artwork) is a work of art that makes use of all or many art forms or strives to do so. The term is a German word which has come to be accepted in English as a term in aesthetics.
>>
>>67761123
My favorite Lex moment is when the ship asks him if he wants to take control, first he mumbles under his breath, still unsure because he's aware of the huge amount of knowledge in the database. That first time the AI doesn't register his voice, so he repeats himself more assuredly that he's willing to.
>Y-yes I would.
>>
>>67754364
This is satire.
>>
>>67761429
>>67761752
Fucking hell, guess I'm out of my depth.

Overall though, the soundtrack stuck with me well after the movie, so that's as good as any reason to like it. Hans Zimmer really is a great composer, I hope he makes a soundtrack as good as something like Interstellar again. I remember reading that he was done with Superhero movies after this one.
>>
>>67761673
>>67761961
http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2016/03/11/inside-chris-terrios-vision-for-batman-superman-and-justice-league/
>>
>>67755409
I liked man of steel but that video is reading into MoS way more than it should.

MoS felt very confused in its themes, it wasn't entirely sure what it wanted to say, but did have some neat ideas. This guys taking a very obvious analogy (Clark becoming superman representing a birth, which you can do with any superhero) and just choosing to see symbolism in things that didn't intend it.
>>
>>67761961
Copypasta is obligatory after this glorious post.

>What's the oldest lie on /tv/, Anon?

That Lex Luthor behaving like The Joker wasn't intentional.

The entire point of the movie is to show that the Superman mythos belongs to no one and everyone at the same time. This is the historical baggage that Snyder is aware these characters carry: An endless barrage of fanboys and comicbook lore since the 30's, comparison to other iconic characters, and everyone thinking they have the last word on how these characters should and would act.

Superman is Christ, Moby Dick, King Arthur, Zorro, JFK, The White Rabbit/Bugs Bunny, the Classical hero.
Batman is Ahab, a vampire, Lancelot, Charles Foster Kane, Dr. Bill Hartford, John the Baptist, the tortured soul seeking redemption.
Doomsday is a fire-breathing dragon, King Kong, a falling meteorite, a nuclear holocaust, the mythical Hydra, Mordred, the monster inside oneself.
The Kryptonite spear is Excalibur, Longinus, Zeus' thunderbolt, Ahab's harpoon, Zorro's rapier, Alexander the Great's sword, dispassionate power and judgement.
Lex is The Joker, The Mad Hatter, Elmer Fudd, Oedipus, Icharus, Salome, the Tragic cynic.
There are many comparisons with the Nolan trilogy because this film embraces it as part of the mythos too. For instance, the Batmobile scene culminates in Batman running into Superman, while in the Nolan version he decides to spare the Joker on his motorcycle. The Gotham football team's uniform is the same color in both films. Rachel Dawes and Lois Lane are dropped from a skyscraper. The interrogation scenes of The Joker and Luthor are accentuated in one case because of its physical violence and in the other because of the lack thereof.
It's a deconstruction and analysis of the characters themselves.

(1/2)
>>
File: JFMSU.jpg (17 KB, 357x471) Image search: [Google]
JFMSU.jpg
17 KB, 357x471
>its a Lex Luthor fumbles naked mans dead body in a water and smears blood all over him
Zack pls
>>
>>67762138
The film thrives on these types of associations, like the red Jolly Rancher pushed into the senator's mouth - "it's cherry" - coming back as the blood dripped onto Zod's face, the red graffiti on Superman's monument, and his slashed cheek, not to mention the nods to internet culture and memes (4U CIA). It's precisely this uncomfortable reevaluation and redemption of sugary pop imagery that drives the film. "Snyder intends to resolve the conflict between commerce and art," as Armond White notes. The basic thesis is that Superhero franchises are antithetical to what Superman actually stands for.

The fact that not a single character behaved the way fanboys expected just proves the point that all this was intentional (for instance, Alfred isn't a butler and Lois isn't a lady).

(2/2)
>>
File: 1459530358819[1].jpg (902 KB, 629x3321) Image search: [Google]
1459530358819[1].jpg
902 KB, 629x3321
For the people wanting to compile shit, this is from another thread.
>>
>>67762138
>>67762154
>>67762196
save my posts and those related

also i lost a post somewhere about doomsday and a bunch of my posts have been archived and i don't think they should be lost, if you're still here i'll unload a bunch of thoughts
>>
>>67759332
Vision was worthy.
>>
>>67759554
Actually,

Im in church

:^)
>>
>>67755224
I think this needs more discussion, if Luther hates the idea of god-like beings on Earth overshadowing him why would he create a literal destructive monster only bent on killing everything on earth with his superior god-like power?

For fuck sake, they don't even bother with the cliched "I can control him" garbage. He births Orc Zod and almost stands there waiting to be killed by it.
>>
>>67762269
he isn't afraid of it at all, it's telling that maybe he thinks he can control it

>confirmed in an interview with deborah snyder
>>
>>67759332
Thor literally explains to his friends and the audience "You're not worthy" if you can't lift it

Vision lifting it is the whole reason they trust him earlier on.
>>
>>67762293
>he isn't afraid of it at all
Doomsday roars straight into his fucking face and he just stands there and breathes in as if he's enjoying a Febreze spray. Doomsday is his son, and he expects him to acquiesce like he himself did for his father before.
>>
What would Supes say in his defense in congress if not for the bomb?
>>
>>67762369
we'll find out in the directors cut blu ray, only $30 or $40 with the steelbook! order yours now!
>>
>>67762369
Apologize and say that he makes mistakes too, but is trying his best to fulfill the expectations that the whole world has.
>>
>>67762380
Back to /v/, Bill
>>
>>67762369
Probably that he is doing the best he can with what he has.
He just can do more good than the average person.
>>
>>67762369
Probably what he said in the end of MoS after shooting down a satellite the government used to track him.

>I don't adhere to your laws or the will of your government, I'll do good wherever and wherever I see fit

If he used that arguement I'd say the US government was justified in developing Anti-Kryptonian weaponry. I mean fuck sake Synder Superman is kinda an asshole, human death that isn't Lois Lane doesn't seem to phase him.
>>
>>67762414
did you see superman's face after the bomb went off? he was devastated
>>
It was nice
>>
File: tumblr_nmz53d9UL21sgq1k5o1_1280.jpg (215 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nmz53d9UL21sgq1k5o1_1280.jpg
215 KB, 640x640
oh
>>
>>67762414
>Superman is kinda an asshole, human death that isn't Lois Lane doesn't seem to phase him.

Except the fact that they do. The whole drowning horse story reveals how Clark is haunted by these deaths.
>>
>>67762414
>I mean fuck sake Synder Superman is kinda an asshole, human death that isn't Lois Lane doesn't seem to phase him.

i wonder why he's in pain after the senate blows up
i wonder why he's to the brink of tears when he flies to fight superman

this superman cares so much about the world he is hurt by the world's perceptions of him
>>
>>67762442
Not really, he looked like Dr. Manhattan. Just observing the scene of dozens of people being incinerated with an aloof gaze while he himself has no injury.

>>67762454
If that's the case they didn't seem to catch the right expressions to represent this. See above.
>>
Why the fuck did Superman leave TWO giant Kryptonian ships just scattered around for anyone to visit? Why didn't he bury them in Antarctica, or throw them into the Sun? It's not like he had any problems with taking down government satellites, so it's not the fact that he thought they were out of his jurisdiction.
God, this Superman is dumb.
>>
>>67754364
The original Doomsday creation story was too good to just throw it away like they did. That being said, BvS had more soul than any Marvel flick to date, and an actually memorable score (which is almost never the case with capeshit). Supes funeral music was moving as fuck
>>
>>67762452

I'm ashamed at how long it took me to get that, but to be fair, it's a really shitty joke
>>
>>67760022
there is no company war
>>
>>67755746
>Lois lane
Did you not see MoS? She always just turns up when needed. There are so many instances she either shouldn't be somewhere, or it's just too much for coincidence.
>>
>>67762563
Wasn't Doomsday's backstory just a bioweapon some alien civilization made that dies and adapts until it became that massive creature with diamond bones?
>>
>>67762620
>It's Lois
>She's the key
>>
>Darkseid

why is DC so fucking shit? holy fuck
>>
>>67762620
>>67762644
his mary magdalene
in BvS she is overtly representative of earth
in this sense i think we can go back and apply that meaning to MoS and see what it means
after superman kills zod, who had just threatened to kill everything, lois embraces him signaling the start of the bond

she is going to continue to represent earth, her union with clark being a union of sky and earth, krypton and earth and man and woman

the justice league will exist to protect earth. the same way martha is central to bvs lois is central the next movie
>>
>>67754972
I thought the same thing during the movie and honestly would have made it a lot better.
>Batman saves lois lane from drowning
>Superman sees this as he's battling doomsday and gains more trust for batman.
>Batman gets spear
>Batman tries to kamakaze doomsday and fails
>Then superman takes it and the scene continues as normal.
No fucking lois lane, it felt forced like zach just wanted to give her more screen time
>>
File: mistermiracle18a.jpg (109 KB, 585x293) Image search: [Google]
mistermiracle18a.jpg
109 KB, 585x293
>>67762689
>trying to make a 2serious plot with a guy who has a general named Granny Goodness
>>
>>67762717

Granny is creepy as fuck though, imagine a 7 foot tall Bea Arthur with super strength that delights in molesting small children to make into soldiers.
>>
>>67762713
I see where you are coming from, but the movie shoehorns things a little too hard, I think.

And the way she knows to get the spear when noone told her to, as well as generally being exactly where she is needed when she is needed detracts from the entire concept.

Its a good comic book concept, and BvS is very much a comic book movie, but it still goes too far for too little.
>>
>>67762509
Maybe you didn't pay attention or you're an autist who can't register subtle facial expressions?
>>
>>67762767
the throwing of the spear into the water is symbolic, the fact that she goes back to get it and is trapped under water is symbolic, superman going back and uncovering it is symbolic, superman bringing up the spear from the water is symbolic, both of them being in the water is symbolic, their last embrace into a genuine love is obvious both for the plot but also for the extended meanings. that whole sequence is a callback to the earlier scene they had in their apartment. lois is naked yet is hiding things from clark. clark is also not seeing her clearly. the baptism is the cleansing of their union as superman affirms his place and defeats doomsday

water is symbolic in the movie, the doomsday movie is pure dreamscape symbolism
>>
>>67762773
And what pain did you notice when they did a close up of Superman in the fire? He looked exactly like Manhattan when he was casually vaporizing Vietnamese commies.
>>
>>67762767
She's always there for him and he's always there for her because they share a deep emotional and spiritual bond, see >>67762713

They're psychically connected, not that overreaching in a world where aliens get powered by the Sun.
>>
>>67762861
Yes, I got that.

Nevertheless, it would not have taken a minute to have Lois interact with Batman, with him demanding where the spear is.

Symbolism is no excuse for absence of context or coherence.
>>
>>67762877
if you ever watch it again pause it and look at his face
besides, showing an aloof dude looking around and checking the time on his wrist would completely defeat everything else happening in the movie, like a big loud wrong note in a symphony
>>
>>67762861
She's the Lady of the Lake.
>>
>>67762877
He's in the verge of tears, even his eyes are reddened.
>>
>>67762923
>>67762958

I'm sure you guys are right but why would he have to show emotional restraint? He's completely alone there, no camera crew is watching his face for a reaction. So why not go all out with anger or sadness like when he snapped Zod's neck?
>>
>>67754364
Yeah epic rationalization Virgil but it doesn't change the fact that it's just an epic monster which was added to give an epic final battle 4kids.
>>
>>67762908
there's even less context or coherence for batman to be the one to get the spear

and as far as the logic of lois's handling of the spear

>we know she represents earth
>we know they share a bond that functions on multiple meanings
>batman is about to kill clark and in that confusion lois appears next to clark explaining the situation, it also happens to be an inversion of bruce's parents death, the complete opposite of the positioning of every character in that scene
>she seeks to get rid of the spear
>throws it into a deep water, the obscurity of it is important
>this moment literally triggered me as i thought 'this isn't turning into pure narrative/trope abstractions is it'
>she goes outside and the moment she hears a roar heads back inside to retrieve the spear, functions both logically and within all the meanings attached to her
>she gets trapped under rubble
>superman saves her and negates the tension of the whole movie while passing his test and affirming what he is
>>
>>67762998
Because he's not the same Superman of MoS. He's grown and learned to control his emotions more, even when no one's watching. The first thing he tries to do in the Doomsday fight is lure him into space to prevent the same catastrophe of the last movie.
>>
>>67762935
yeah last time i saw excalibur was as a kid, completely went over my head but the pure fantasy of a glowing spear and the abstraction of all of it was apparent to me, the fact that it's direct allusion and homage to other things is no surprise to me
>>
>>67763079
>He's grown and learned to control his emotions more, even when no one's watching.
represented in movie by how he uses his powers, seriously, go through both movies and compare

>The first thing he tries to do in the Doomsday fight is lure him into space to prevent the same catastrophe of the last movie.
the first movie signals the birth of superman, BvS signals manhood.
guess what's coming next
>>
Can't remember in which scene of Watchmen it happens, but in the Manbat dream as Bruce enters the mausoleum he stops for a second and the framing and lighting is very similar as Rorschach entering a building.
>>
all of what i'm posting has finally convinced me that snyder and co have in fact been extremely subtle in a lot of ways

seriously, the only things anyone ever pick at are the direct visual cues to jesus, never noticing the set and setting and full context of how these things happen, and how different characters move within a scene

people really think the 'jesus poses' are popped out of nowhere

these past few weeks i've gone from trying to say that none of what snyder is doing is anywhere near as bad as to what people say and have gone to seeing a lot of things i didn't see before

i mean shit
>>
>>67763212
i think its fair to say that we can drop the notion that there are any coincidences in that type of thing
>>
The Omega symbol in the future vision mirrors the filenames in the JL teaser scene.
>alpha_WW
>alpha_AQ
>alpha_FL
>alpha_CY

Also that whole JL teaser scene is made that way to feel as if Bats, Diana, and Lex are sharing memes with one another. Post-credit scenes are basically packaged to be shared virally.
>>
>>67763079
>The first thing he tries to do in the Doomsday fight is lure him into space to prevent the same catastrophe of the last movie.

that's what I thought too

>"oh they're pulling a DBZ and making sure the fight happens in a remote area"

but then it doesn't work and a quarter of gotham/metropolis is vaporized
>>
>>67763230
And people are signing a petition online to kick him out of the JL movie, that's the real tragedy here. Thank God WB executives aren't that stupid.
>>
File: 1458801778106[1].png (224 KB, 704x361) Image search: [Google]
1458801778106[1].png
224 KB, 704x361
>>67763272
>>
ITT: pretentious shilling

And for the record: I hate all cape
>>
>>67762713
That's fine, but there needs to be better reasons for her to be in place other than for symbolism.

In MoS, why did Zod demand for her to go on his ship? Why was Lois lane allowed on the military plane set to destroy the world engine? Why did she fall when everything else was being sucked toward the black hole? How the fuck did she know where superman was when he killed Zod, and get there so quick?

If all the symbolism in this thread is intentional (I'm guessing at least some of it is) that's great but there needs to be actual justifications plot wise for people to be in certain places or to do certain things.

I love symbolism, but it in of itself doesn't make a movie great, not at all. I don't see how coping the general plot and themes of King Arthur (or Jesus or birth in MoS) makes a movie better than another movie with its own original plot and themes done in a different way.

I haven't seen BvS yet (though am eager to do so), and while I loved MoS and could see it had plenty of thought put into its symbolism, it was still a far from perfect movie because it failed in basic narrative and filmmaking aspects (contrived plot points, bad camera work, weak acting due to bad directing), and often not being clear about what it was saying (kent and jor els point of views)
>>
>>67763289
Because at first they don't know Doomsday's ability of absorbing energy. After nuking him, Doomsday becomes too strong for Superman to lure him into space again. Watch it again, he manhandles him like a ragdoll even though Diana is assisting. Also note that Doomsday always focuses his attacks on him.
>>
>>67763342
Hating cape because it is cape is pretentious as fuck.
>>
>>67763272
the critique and frustration signal that those teases emotionally did their job, while also literally providing a deconstruction of those kinds of teases in general

>half assed teases forced into the movie at the end of production
how is this not literally all post credit scenes that have been placed literally at the end of the movies

we had already noted a lot of the hypocrisy of the reviews of bvs, but now the shit thrown at bvs are not actually faults of the movie specifically but of our own preconceptions of comicbook superhero movies
all the reviews read as such
>not what i wanted it to be
>i didn't catch all the logistics, fault the movie for not picking up on it
>the fact that i'm asking questions about the movie is somehow a fault of the movie
>the precise internal mechanics of the movie and their connection with my perception of the movie in relation to the story escaped me
>the movie presents an idea that is not only valid with the movie universe but in real life as well
>>
File: MADNESS MADE FLESH.gif (3 MB, 232x232) Image search: [Google]
MADNESS MADE FLESH.gif
3 MB, 232x232
the issue with this torrent of symbolism is that apparently zack snyder forgot to make a good movie to go along with all of it.
>>
>>67763230
>>67763303
What I want to know is if he really is a visionary director, can we analysis sucker punch in the same way and discover a shit load of symbolism too?
>>
>>67763426
Haven't watched Sucker Punch, but MoS and BvS are my favorite capes and look forward to JL. The next generation will have the last say on whether he was a visionary or hack. Too much emotional investment and personal gripes by the people right now to be able to judge with fairness, time allows for art to be judged in a more fair light.
>>
>>67763426
i remember this analysis

http://vigilantcitizen.com/moviesandtv/sucker-punch-or-how-to-make-monarch-mind-control-sexy-7-2/
>>
>>67763480
Nothing is fair
>>
Great thread. I loved the movie myself and the image that struck me the hardest and in multiple different ways was Clark hovering over the flood victims.

Also, not wanting to derail, but I just posted up a breakdown of Luthor's motivations over at

>>67763114

for anyone who'd like to take a look. I'm off to bed, so I won't be part of the discussion, sadly.
>>
Just saw this film
What was suppose to be confusing about it?
The plot was pretty straight forward and the characters motivation was pretty clear
The only real problem was doomsday (he didn't feel necessary to the movie)
>>
>>67763426
i've never seen it so i couldn't be able to tell you

saw 300 when it came out, and have seen parts of watchmen and both mos and bvs
i'd say it depends on the intent of story
300 is cut and dry and doesn't really need or fit with a highly symbolic subtext, the movie itself has a precise visual aesthetic while emotionally signaling various emotions at specific points in the movie, it does it's job of adapting the comic

with superman we not only have a character of some comic book, but precisely the most famous and imaginatively and culturally potent figure there is, it makes sense that he would imbue a movie of this kind with all sorts of archetypal and subconscious movers
>>
>>67755224
Lex wanted either Batman to kill Superman and thus Man triumphs over God.
Or Superman to kill Batman revealing Superman as the false god that he is.

He learns about shit in the kryptonian spaceship, and adds a third option, the devil killing god.
He is the devil here, and if Man (Batman) fails then the devil will do it.
>>
Sometimes I wonder what happened to a Jim Gordon. He's a major part of batman now but didn't show him for a second in the movie.

I think the joker might have gone too far and killed Jim and many others. That's why Batman is like this, not giving a fuck anymore.
>>
>>67755381
>Like why didnt he said "the fuck are these stupid ass letters? Im gonna find the faggot that is sending them and crush his hands so he stops being a faggot"
Because he didn't get the letters until wheelybomb was already inside the building and about to blow up.

He literally asks "Why didn't I see these sooner?"

It matches what Clark says about "I didn't see it because I wasn't looking"

Both Batman and Superman have become blind to the world around them, and missed something they could have stopped.
>>
>>67762269
He thinks he can control it.

This is obvious in the way he just stands there and looks noticeably shocked when Superman runs in front of him to block the punch from Doomsday.
>>
>>67763617
joker is implied at least once with bruce's 'freaks dressed like clowns' comment

gordan is not relevant to the story and completely unnecessary to it
>>
>>67763642
as i posted somewhere itt,
there are a bunch of mirror couplings throughout the movie,
lex finch lex mercy
bruce alfred bruce diana
clark martha clark lois

watch how all their relationships within unfold, this literally also explains the editing at every turn in the movie
>>
i really hope someone somewhere is compiling everything
>>
>>67754364
>I was in awe at the idea of Doomsday's creation. He's the amalgamation of Zod's hatred of Earth and Lex's hatred of God, truly something demonic. It was also shocking how even the ship's AI was aware that the creation of this being was a crime to creation, and despite this Lex went on with the procedure in tears.
>>You flew too close to the Sun.

I saw him as a giant monster serving as the final boss fight without serving anything deeper, because that's what it really felt like the entire time.

Why don't I see him as the result of Zod's and Lex's hatred for things? Because it's weird comic book logic that lead to Doomsday's creation in the first place and Lex wasn't sure what he was even doing for awhile with the machine.

Everything you mentioned exists in some fashion but it's among the many, many ideas in the movie that wasn't executed properly. I was trying to tune zuckerberg out every time he opened his mouth because he was absolutely aggravating. Even though Lex's overall message made sense and was one of the more logical in the movie, I don't give a fuck because I constantly feel like Snyder decided that the old corporate, professional Lex isn't modern enough and should be replaced by awkward, quirky, .com startup magnate 20 year old because audience would get that that he's an evil genius.

Really, is someone seriously thinking "oh this is the result of man's arrogance and disdain for higher powers and an conqueror's hatred for this new, undiscovered country," when Superman has just done something super hypocritical to his entire character because of the scripts incompetence and among another of Lex's joker-esque quirky monologues?
>>
File: 1431868833964.png (325 KB, 382x417) Image search: [Google]
1431868833964.png
325 KB, 382x417
>>67754364
why didn't derperman simply throw the spear instead of flying it into him?
>>
>>67763553
>Flood scene
I cri evrytiem
Not being ironic.
>>
>>67763556
>The only real problem was doomsday (he didn't feel necessary to the movie)
read the thread
>>
>>67763834
superman did nothing hypocritical at all in the movie

the eisenberg casting choice wasn't for the evil genius part it was for his personality

>the little narcissistic guy competing for power with two huge beefed up guys
>the big beefed up guys express their power in the expected manner
>little guy uses cunning and knowledge
>knowledge is power
>little nerdy guy is doing all of this, also happens to have deep seeded issues
>wants to be bigger than everyone
>also stand in for and uses many archetypical villian tropes

doomsday is an overt blood ritual, it's precisely the type of shit people have been doing irl for millennia
>>
>>67763951
>the little narcissistic guy competing for power with two huge beefed up guys
I never understood why people want Lex to be a big buff guy.
It's not like he would ever be imposing or intimidating next to Superman.
So Supermans greatest human foe being muscular and strong makes literally no sense.
A smaller cunning Lex is much better.
>>
>>67763319
kek
>>
>>67755466
I don't recall Zod being fitteen feet tall with bone protrusions and with gray skin, either.

>>67754972
yes, Why didn't he give the spear to Batman, a helpless mortal to use against a slightly weaker Doomsday---Because as Bats approaches doomsday gets WEAKER, not depowered, WEAKER. But hell, even if he was depowered. he'd still be a twenty feet tall fucking monster with STABBY bones where his arm used to be, and did i mention he's probably still strong enough to bench press a fucking TRAILER even though he's no longer blessed with his god power.

ARE YOU PEOPLE, SERIOUS?!?!?!

>>67762143
Maybe it's because Lex found kinship with a guy who dared to stand up to god and died.

>>67762269
He sees Doomsday as his own child, flesh of his flesh. A bit of man, inside of a god.
>>
>>67763411
>the critique and frustration signal that those teases emotionally did their job, while also literally providing a deconstruction of those kinds of teases in general
The main complaint was that the scene breaks continuity, it's spliced right after Superman flies off to Gotham to face Batman. Snyder basically said, fuck it, I'm going to put this shit in the place where most people will get annoyed by it, because everyone paid just to watch Batman and Superman fight. In itself proving that these scenes are manipulative corporate garbage.
>>
>>67754364
>He's the amalgamation of Zod's hatred of Earth and Lex's hatred of God, truly something demonic

He was a bog standard feminist?
>>
Very interesting stuff in here, guys. Here's some things I spotted during my second viewing

In Supes' funeral, I really liked the juxtaposition between the soldier burial and the farmland burial. I think it highlights just how little the rest of the world (or at least the US) understood how to deal with something like Superman.

One thing I kinda noticed and someone please correct me if I'm wrong (as in forgetting the timeline of the movie). Bruce held back from stealing the kryptonite, but after seeing the explosion and all the letters, was this what pushed him over the edge to go and fuck shit up at Lexcorp's campus?

One last thing, I feel like there's definitely a whole lot more subtext in this movie than any MCU movie.
>>
>>67763727
Bruce drives a black car and Lex drives a white one, if I remember correctly Diana's car is grey.
>>
>>67754791
>Why did Zuckerberg DNA + Kryptonian Goo (pretty human overall) = flaming eyeballs and electro discharges?

It's the Jew DNA.
>>
>>67757190
Ezra Miller isn't ugly by any standards
>>
>>67763990
Because lex is supposed to be man reaching its highest potential (in terms of power and ability, not morality).

Its why this >>67763951 feels cheap compared to if lex had been an older yet more physically impressive coperate magnate. Have a man who's built himself up all his life being suddenly surpassed by superman and consumed by envy would have worked a little better in my opinion than a younger bratier version we got.
>>
>>67763990
>>67763951

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZCNDwKgi7o

This works better.

Why? Because making someone smart at genius levels a quirky know-it-all who delivers all of his views in a clever but awkward fashion is dumbing down.
>>
File: timthumb[1].jpg (70 KB, 668x400) Image search: [Google]
timthumb[1].jpg
70 KB, 668x400
>>67764072
I love how outside the Capitol there's a fangirl that's wetting her panties when Supes arrives and next to her an SJW with an alien painted in his cheek (NO ALIENS).
>>
>>67764064
it fits within diana's place within the dance of the movie,
>bruce shows her he knows she's a meta
>boys share too
>4u cia

everything within the movie is intended
>>
>>67764164
>Have a man who's built himself up all his life being suddenly surpassed by superman and consumed by envy would have worked a little better in my opinion than a younger bratier version we got.
Also in this version, Lex inherited everything from his Dad so he's only a super genius.
>>
>>67764078
>In Supes' funeral, I really liked the juxtaposition between the soldier burial and the farmland burial. I think it highlights just how little the rest of the world (or at least the US) understood how to deal with something like Superman.
There's also the juxtaposition of the Colt recoil and caskets hitting the ground in the opening scene with the cannons' recoil and their shells hitting the ground with a much stronger force.
Also there are five jets in a V formation in the funeral and one of them breaks formation and flies offscreen.
>>
>>67764180
this doesn't work at all within the movie
i also don't understand how it's dumbing down
frankly, that representation is very simplistic and more obvious than the movie lex
that comic is a homage anyway

>>6776314
>>
>>67764339
meant this thread
>>67763114
>>
>>67764315
>Also there are five jets in a V formation in the funeral and one of them breaks formation and flies offscreen.

That's apparently a typical military thing at funerals.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missing_man_formation
>>
i actually cracked up a few times at the guy who played lex luthor. his acting is terrible
>>
>>67764310
this is another parallel and juxtaposition between him and bruce and clark
>>
>>67764378
Did you laughed at the realization it's supposed to represent the jewbook creater mark jewberg?
>>
>>67764180
>Why? Because making someone smart at genius levels a quirky know-it-all who delivers all of his views in a clever but awkward fashion is dumbing down.
It isn't dumbing down because they're representing a modern Lex, he's basically /fa/+/lit/+/sp/+/b/+/r9k/ incarnate. It's way more poignant, relevant, and coherent with the narrative. The movie isn't looking to replicate the comicbooks, it embraces their legacy and soul but strives for something more.
>>
>>67764315
do you remember what direction they pointed to on screen?
>>
>>67764315
That's very nice. Got a bit lost with the jets, what is its significance?
>>
>>67764409
this can not only be inferred but affirms by the movie's acknowledgement of memes
i think a lot of his clothes might be memes on /fa/ while his character also representing the power fantasy of not only all those boards but millennials in general

the movie is a danse macabre that not only transfigures its characters in the movie but symbolically interacts with our own world
>>
>>67754364
Doomsday was probably the worst part of the film. Especially with that wubstep lightning bullshit.
>>
>>67764409
>they're representing a modern Lex, he's basically /fa/+/lit/+/sp/+/b/+/r9k/ incarnate
Yeah I feel Snyder had the same idea: That audiences would understand he's billionaire genius if they make a parody of Mark Zuckerberg and further cemented that with the casting and direction. Just about as shallow as every other of the movie's decisions.
>>
>>67764545
that scene had incredible special effects
dreamy, yet looked realer than life at moments
>>
>>67764409
>he's basically /fa/+/lit/+/sp/+/b/+/r9k/ incarnate
And why would anybody think this is a good idea for a supervillain in their film about alien gods and men dressed as bats.
>>
File: 1459395057377.jpg (212 KB, 600x872) Image search: [Google]
1459395057377.jpg
212 KB, 600x872
>>67762861
>the throwing of the spear into the water is symbolic
>everything else in this post
You guys are killing me.
>>
>>67764613
the movie is about our own world, or at least the mind of the world or western culture
can't say for certain but the mental connection is affirmed through all the extended association in every single part of the movie
our minds constantly mix different images words thoughts and ideas and the movie plays to this
>>
>>67764613
Wait for it, Wait for it, Wait for it.....are you waiting? Okay you've waited long enough. /b/. Typical /b/ user. Not everyone on /b/'s an incompetent autistic weebo. Some of them are, never kissed forever alone autistic social pariahs with daddy issues who happens to be quite capable.

Lex's the type of Guy who'd be right at home on these here message boards.
>>
>>67764726
batman, lex, and superman are the three main dancers involved in the struggle for power. the one who's struggle most matches any specific viewer will inform how they see the movie
>>
>>67764414
forward
>>
>>67764415
One man died but the world doesn't stop, the brotherhood lives on and everyone keeps moving forward.
>>
>>67764822
up or down brah, i'm assuming up but yeah pls confirm
>>
>>67764844
>bruce goes on with a new perspective in a new world
>>
>>67764806
i'm more like Lex, but without the genius level intellect.
>>
>>67764688
read
>>67759554
and really think about it
>>
>>67764861
up
>>
i'd also like to point out lex/bruce/clark

lex-power through knowledge has long speech about how he's mad at how he was treated by his father figure
bruce-power through will power through fear-speaks with his actions, short of words, direct and to the point, different relationship to parents
clark- inert power-power through hope- striving to save others while upholding his moral code
>>
>>67764954
Are all these retarded posts being made by the same guy?
>>
>Superman's really dead you guys!
>not really he can survive nukes
>superman's really dead again you guys!
>I really mean it this time!
>not really though it was a joke

Why did they bother doing this? If they really wanted to play a superman death straight, they can't imply his resurrection within 10 minutes of it happening. They have to wait for at least the next film for it to have any weight

What they did was really just 10 minutes of 'get to the part where he's not actually dead' 'oh there it is yeah fuck you dc'
>>
>>67764950
reason i asked was to connect another association,

doomsday

theres a frame where we get a hyperrealistic shot of doomsday growing a spike in his arm upward
this symbol is turned into the jets
grotesque thing meant purely to kill is turned into whatever jets flying at funerals mean
which i guess is obviously hope and and you said forward movement, also being symbolic of death passages throughout cultures
>>
>>67765005
it's one guy samefagging the entire thread
>>
>>67754364
Batman's Desert fighting scene absolutely amazing
>>
>>67764877
>>67764844
>>67764415

Are you guys for real? see >>67764373
>>
>>67765005
>>67765051
frog.picture
>>
>>67755224

>bullshitting batman for years
I don't get this
Bruce first saw the letters right when the congress hearing blew up, which was no more than a week before the end of the movie
How was lex manipulating batman?
>>
>>67765026
Neither death had any weight. They haven't even formed the fucking justice league yet, which we as the audience already know is happening.

I wish they hadn't bothered with death of Superman.
>>
>>67765026
>Why did they bother doing this? If they really wanted to play a superman death straight, they can't imply his resurrection within 10 minutes of it happening. They have to wait for at least the next film for it to have any weight
Everyone knows he's going to come back, what's the point.
>>
>>67765065
i saw it now. The jets meaning anything more than that would definitely be stretching it
>>
>>67765091

The only way they could trick people into thinking he wasn't going to come back would be if they actually finished the movie without hinting at his survival in any way

of course the fact that justice league is happening guaranteed it wouldn't be a permadeath. It would've been genuinely interesting if they attempted a justice league with no supes, but from a business perspective that's an absolutely retarded decision that would never happen
>>
>>67765065
I saw it, symbols aren't constrained to having only one meaning.
>>
>>67765087
honestly, it's not the worst idea to decide to form a superteam because your biggest gun got killed. But, they needed:

-Clark to be likable, which he wasn't
-for him to have a character arc and more that 15 lines in the movie, which he didn't
-for his sacrifice to not be easily avoidable, and yet it was.
-to keep him dead at the end, and for him to stay dead for like 2-3 years, which they didn't.

So all and all it was a complete failure of implementation.
>>
>>67765160

At the same time, sometimes jets are just jets.
>>
>>67765091
>Everyone knows he's going to come back
Which makes the entire 'Death of Superman' arc in this film fucking pointless. It was done for shock value to increase sales in the past, what is the point of it in the present?
>>
>>67765212

>what is the point of it in the present?

to increase sales in movie tickets?
>>
The first scene moved me right out of the theater
>>
>>67755507
It wasn't a warning. That scene is straight up retarded. The batarang was there so the audience knows that Batman took the rock.
>>
>>67765185
>-Clark to be likable, which he wasn't
read >>67764806

>-for him to have a character arc and more that 15 lines in the movie, which he didn't
Dialogue isn't the only way to convey emotions onscreen. In my opinion his performance was on point, he appears stoic on the outside but has a profound inner turmoil, guilt, and he's still striving to find his place in the world.
>-for his sacrifice to not be easily avoidable, and yet it was.
how?
>-to keep him dead at the end, and for him to stay dead for like 2-3 years, which they didn't.
He'll be dead one year, until JL comes out in 2017.
>>
>>67754972

Naw man they triple-teamed him. Wonder Woman tied him up with the lasso, Batman shot him with the kryptonite grenade launcher, and Superman stabbed him with a spear. They all did their thing.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.