[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is Orson Scott Card still allowed to exist? http://www.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2
File: 589.jpg (19 KB, 171x239) Image search: [Google]
589.jpg
19 KB, 171x239
Why is Orson Scott Card still allowed to exist?
http://www.hatrack.com/osc/reviews/alltimefilmlist/despise.shtml
Has a man ever been more of a pleb?
>>
He's literally right about everything I just read and he wrote fucking Ender's Game. True fucking original /tv/ patrician, he'll deliver us from redditors like you.
>>
He's a half retarded Mormon fuckwit and it's impossible for him to distinguish his personal beliefs that come from a place of emotion from objective quality.

He'd fit right in here with the /pol/ leak
>>
>>67701020
I like how you say, "he wrote fucking Ender's Game!" as if it's the pinnacle of literary achievement and places him beyond criticism.
>>
>>67700906
Mormons are inherently a pleb people.
>>
>>67701143
No but it slightly elevated him above pleb status and you've yet to dispute any points he's made
>>
File: 7997.jpg (26 KB, 351x400) Image search: [Google]
7997.jpg
26 KB, 351x400
Holy fuck Contact triggered him so hard.

Sagan is rolling a fat blunt and laughing his ass off somewhere right now
>>
>>67701098
Lol fuck off Reddit, /pol/ was always here. You faggots invaded us
>>
>I dislike Contact, not because of the movie itself, but because I disagree with critics that like it
What is he on?
>>
Ender's Gape.
>>
>>67702104
Actually, now that I think about it, that puts him right up /tv/'s alley.
>>
I love Enders Game but Speaker for the Dead is one of the biggest pieces of trash I've ever read.
>>
>>67701206
>muh seekrit klub

Get a hobby
>>
this website hasn't been updated in like 20 years
>>
>>67700906
He's pretty spot on with Contact. That movie is shit.
>>
>>67700906
D&D pls go
>>
>>67700906
Because Mormons are subhumans and should be exterminated.
>>
>>67702293
Card thinks it's the other way around. He didn't even want to write ender's game originally and just wanted to go straight into sequels.
>>
>>67702401
It makes sense. SftD is loaded with ham-fisted religious subtext while EG is just a straight forward mature YA anti war novel.

We all know where his interests are.
>>
>>67702104
Does card browse /TV?
>>
>>67702482
Yes, the Ender's Game sequels set on that Portuguese planet, and most of the things he writes, have an annoying religious/Mormon feel to them that Ender's Game didn't have.
>>
>>67702104
Pretty sure that he's got a lot of problems with the movie itself, and that in addition to that he's bothered by the idea of people considering the movie smart or insightful, especially towards religion.

And I think he's right. The movie tries to be fair towards both sides but handles faith incredibly poorly. God is more than just 'believe if you want, it makes me feel good man.'
>>
>>67700906
>American Beauty
I tried to watch it twice and couldn't. Probably not gonna try again. It didn't strike me as a movie about a "normal American family" even though I do think there are a lot of movies that do what Card accuses this one of doing.

>Citizen Kane
I've been bored whenever I've tried to get through it, which was twice. My best guess is that it did a bunch of things for the first time that are just standard now so I don't care? The sled name never did anything for me except give me fat stacks in The Sims.

>the best analysis I've heard is that by current Writers Guild arbitration rules, he would never get a credit for his contribution to the writing
petty
so petty, he might actually be pissed that he missed out on being the most famous Orson

>But in Good Will Hunting it is absolutely the Matt Damon character's fault that he's a complete asshole.
I always thought the movie agreed with Card on that... but it's been awhile. Am I wrong? Would Card watch Scott Pilgrim and not get that the movie knows Scott Pilgrim is an asshole without having to spell it out like the Koran would?
>>
>>67701206

No you weren't. Fuck off newfag.
>>
>>67701192
>honoring Sagan by imagining him in an afterlife

well I guess you can do that
>>
>Pulp Fiction
>have the characters talk about whatever pathetic lame cultural detail happens to be on the author's mind, even if it has nothing at all to do with anything the characters would actually know or do or say
What did any character say that they wouldn't know, pop culture wise? Card's talk on American Beauty prolly means he just doesn't realize that so many people do talk in pop culture references. I've only like Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs but I bet if there was less swearing Card wouldn't find the style so "cute". I do dislike how hateful Tarantino is, and how he refuses emotional range. Leone can show Eastwood playing with a kitten, giving a kid a final smoke, the suffering and sorrow of Confederate soldiers... Tarantino has intentionally become so monochrome emotionally that it's not enough to stack his movies with the most easily hated characters (recently: Nazis, slave owners) he decided to pare it down to 8 hateful characters and make the entire audience experience about eeking out your hate rankings down to the millionths place. He has shrunk as an artist and I wish he could grow a heart like the Grinch.
>>
>>67700906
Based Card
>>
>The Truman Show

I was fine with Carrey.
>>
>>67700906
I took a horror/sci fiction workshop class in college. My teacher was a second rate sci-fi author who published but never made it big -- staunch atheist and all that too.

Well he went to college with Orson Scott Card. He tried to hide it but I've never seen anyone so butthurt in my life. My teacher hated his guts for getting so popular. Amazing.
>>
>>67702354
Second
>>
>I don't actually enjoy Bill Murray. Every time I see him appear on a screen, I have to work to keep watching. Nothing about his talent, it's personal. He just looks like he hasn't had enough people slap him in his life, and nobody's going to now, either.

Wow. I mean, that's how I feel about Obama (especially the stories of how he would steal extra weed hits while saying "interception!" and no one would stop him because it would be racist) but really Card and I don't really know these people.

>This movie takes Animal Farm and realizes the possibilities that never crossed poor stodgy George Orwell's allegory-ridden mind.
o rly

Anyone else think it's weird how he keeps gushing over child actors?

>The Matrix
>This is quite possibly the best smart sci-fi movie ever, or perhaps the smartest good sci-fi movie ever.

How many movies has this guy seen? I know a lot of people still haven't seen World on a Wire and maybe he wrote this before the sequels but cringe.

>Deep Impact as 37th best film OF ALL TIME on a list created by a human being
>It's a real story
>as staying power
WUUUUUUUUUUUUUT

>phony jeopardy-increasing cliches
good description of Argo
>>
>>67701020
that horrible children's book?
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.