[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What happened to traditional 2D animation? Why did Disney kill
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7
File: 1446760377705.jpg (1 MB, 2462x1581) Image search: [Google]
1446760377705.jpg
1 MB, 2462x1581
What happened to traditional 2D animation?

Why did Disney kill it and replace it with video game cut scenes? Surely they have the money to make something hand drawn instead of the smug sameface shit they out out.
>>
>>67679938
>Pic implies Disney were racial insensitive in the past
>Still no black characters in the modern category
>>
They have the money
But 3d is just cheaper
Why waste more money to make the 'same' product? Why risk a 2d flop when kids these days respond so well to trash 3d?
>>
>>67679938

>MUH 2D ANIMATION

It took forever and raped the wallet, even as we now can imitate it's feel through Computer Animation as well, only without the temporary cool down for your brain to blur out the juttering between frames.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRl2OlyNMuc

Your picture doesn't even make fucking sense. You're comparing a bunch of non-PC stuff (the Donald one being from an Anti-Nazi short) to girl faces, half of whom aren't smug?

The only dimension that matters in a movie isn't the dimensions of animation, but the story and characters.
>>
>>67680034
They've tried making films with black and brown characters actually, but they performed badly, so they went back to white female MCs.
No word one when they'll tackle something like having a male MC of any race who isn't a pussy faggot or a pixar character, though.
>>
>>67680034
Oh shut up, coal burner
>>
>>67680168
>No word one when they'll tackle something like having a male MC of any race
>Zootopia - male and female leads
>Big Hero 6 - male lead
>Wreck-It Ralph - male lead
>>
>>67680101
>The only dimension that matters in a movie isn't the dimensions of animation, but the story and characters.
pleeeeeeeeeeeb
>>
>>67680034
>upset that there aren't many characters to represent 12% of the us population
nobody wants to see them anyway
>>
File: disney-princess-wallpapers-01.jpg (152 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
disney-princess-wallpapers-01.jpg
152 KB, 1600x1200
>>67679938
2D Disney girls all looked the same too, Disney's character design has been the same since Snow White in the 30s.

I don't have kids but I don't see them seeing the subtleties of 2D animation, CG movies probably seem more attention grabbing, that's why Toy Story was a big deal, then after Shrek it showed anyone can make Pixar like films so everyone did.
>>
disney is shit anyway, tumblr fanbase
>>
>>67679938
You know what? I don't know.

I think the only real explanation is that the studios themselves decided to quit making 2D animation out of fear that it would go out of style, in a self fulfilling prophecy kind of deal.
>>
>>67680710
those aren't the original designs, it looks like a toy advert
>>
>>67679938
3D is easier. You can easily rehash the same models over and over.
>>
File: 1444875721239.png (186 KB, 192x546) Image search: [Google]
1444875721239.png
186 KB, 192x546
>>67680101
holy shit I actually thought this was 2D when I saw it in the cinema
>>
>>67680101
>>67680051
I bet CGI still isn't any cheaper than hand drawn animation like it hasn't been up to this point.
>>
File: 1459358138331.jpg (1 MB, 1296x1024) Image search: [Google]
1459358138331.jpg
1 MB, 1296x1024
I know I'll sound like a Facebook "le 90s kid" fag, but it seems that around 2006-2007ish, "kid culture" started getting really ADD and annoying and just lost its charm.

Chill things like Samurai Jack, Hey Arnold, Gundam, VHS, 5th and 6th generation gaming, pokemon, etc. just "vanished" and were suddenly replaced with iPhone, Justin bieber, Wii waggle casual games, social media, Flash, CGI, and tweencom shows where the characters scream at the top of their lungs constantly.

What happened? Was it the release of the iPhone and the Big Bang Theory that did it in?
>>
File: 1452972821387.jpg (35 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1452972821387.jpg
35 KB, 320x240
>>67681103
>>
>>67681103
Dexter's lab, PowerPuff girls were all ADD shows too. You just got older while the world stayed the same.

Let me guess: 2006 was right about the year you entered high school, right?
>>
>>67679938
You refused to watch Princess and the Frog, but saw Frozen 5 times in a row

Maybe that
>>
>>67681390
AHHHHHHH
>>
>>67679938
I'm pretty sure half of those are Pixar characters.
>>
>>67682317

pixar/disney collaborations
>>
File: 1454550979329.jpg (23 KB, 393x360) Image search: [Google]
1454550979329.jpg
23 KB, 393x360
>>67682317
disney owns pixar
>>
3d animation is cheaper and takes less skill than traditional 2d animation
>get some people to make 3d models and get some people to pose them
>compare to making thousands of individual paintings
>>
>>67682410
>he thinks 2D animation is literally making thousands of individual paintings
>he doesn't know all the shortcuts involved like cell animation

Idiot
>>
>>67682317
Disney has owned pixar for the better part of a decade now. How fucking behind the times are you?
>>
>>67682410
>3d animation is cheaper and takes less skill than traditional 2d animation
I wish this meme would stop. Do you know what the most expensive part of animation is? Wages for animators, because of the sheer amount of man-hours that goes into animating anything. That's the real truth about animation: it's for the most part not very difficult, not even 2D animation, it's just time consuming. And every hour spent working on it requires dozens if not hundreds of people getting a paycheck.

Know what 3D animation does? It allows a single animator to do the jobs of several 2D animators. Same amount of man-hours with a much higher yield of productivity without sacrificing quality. With 2D animation you either allowed room for minor errors or you started over when you found a mistake. This could dramatically slow down production and increase costs. In this respect, "skill" in an animator just meant "does not fuck up and force us to correct his mistakes," it didn't mean they were somehow more creative or talented at drawing. It just meant they were machine-like in their efficiency and accuracy.
>>
>>67682200
>Dexter's lab, PowerPuff girls were all ADD shows too.
not to the extent a lot of these shows are.
>>
>>67679938
interesting

unrelated, but Rapunzel in that image looks like Mia Malkova
>>
>>67681035
CG is difficult to learn but it's a hell of a lot cheaper to use the same models for scenes and saves time and money, especially for TV series
>>
>>67682410
>And every hour spent working on it requires dozens if not hundreds of people getting a paycheck.

But the same could easily be said about CG animation because of the extra effort needed.
Every scene in a 3D movie requires
>modelers
>texture artists
>riggers
>lighters
Not including the actual animators, and people working on particle effects or other special effects as needed from scene to scene.

Even then, this isn't counting the hardware needed. Each artist needs a computer setup that can handle professional-grade graphic design, AND the studio needs hardware to render the end product. Even with high end gear, this takes a repeatedly long amount of time. All this hardware is extra overhead and requires even more staff hands to maintain.
This is why the estimated price for a minute of 3d animation is AT LEAST one million dollars, and movies like Zootopia (which have a visibly higher amount of effort put in) are estimated to cost a little under 200 million dollarydoos in total.

tl;dr: ALL animation takes a fuckhuge budget to produce
>>
>>67682600
>>67683025
All 3d cartoons have the same artstyle because it's the software that makes it not the people.
>>
>>67683547
That's only because of the lengths Disney goes to. They want only the best so they contract out to the best CG modeling, the best CG lighting, the best CG textures. They spend god knows how much money developing their own in-house software for rendering hair, clothing, and skin. These things make it easier, make it faster and more efficient, and as a result those same animators who were able to do so much with less tech can now do even more and the bar gets raised yet again.

Keep in mind when I said animation doesn't take skill, just time, it doesn't mean there's no such thing as talented artistic animators. You just don't have to be one to produce technically good animation. You need patience.

But Disney isn't satisfied with just "good" animation. Yeah they do cut corners for a lot of movies and reuse assets as much as possible. That was true even in the traditional 2D days, you had some movies that were just crammed with old animation cels that were drawn over, but you also had movies that pushed the envelope for what was considered high quality animation.
>>
>>67683736
Art style =/= animation. The character designs are actually done on paper, as are the early storyboards. The characters still have to be physically drawn by artists, even on computers they have to be hand drawn using styli and tablets. There's no magic software which will auto-generate new original character designs.

What machines are used for it rendering movement, texture, weight, and light. The base designs are still the product of human creativity.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.