[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The ending to "Django Unchained" happens because King
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 5
File: 65094-e1350571941973.jpg (30 KB, 490x246) Image search: [Google]
65094-e1350571941973.jpg
30 KB, 490x246
The ending to "Django Unchained" happens because King Schultz just fundamentally didn't understand how the world works.

When we first meet King Schultz, he’s a larger-than-life figure – a cocky, European version of Clint Eastwood’s Man with No Name. On no less than three occasions, stupid fucking rednecks step to him, and he puts them down without breaking a sweat. But in retrospect, he’s not nearly as badass as we’re led to believe. At the end of the movie, King is dead, and Django is the one strutting away like Clint Eastwood.

I mean, we like King. He’s cool, he kills the bad guy. He rescues Django from slavery. He hates racism. He’s a good guy. But he’s also incredibly arrogant and smug. He thinks he knows everything. Slavery offends him, like a bad odor, but it doesn’t outrage him. It’s all a joke to him, he just waves it off. His philosophy is the inverse of Dark Helmet’s: Good will win because evil is dumb. The world doesn’t work like that.

King’s plan to infiltrate Candyland is stupid. There had to be an easier way to save Hildy. I’ve seen some people criticize this as a contrivance on Tarantino’s part, but it seems perfectly in character to me. Schultz comes up with this convoluted con job, basically because he wants to play a prank on Candie. It’s a plan made by someone whose intelligence and skills have sheltered him from ever being really challenged. This is why Django can keep up his poker face and King finds it harder and harder. He’s never really looked at slavery or its brutality; he’s stepped in, shot some idiots and walked away.
>>
Candie’s victory shatters his illusions, his wall of irony. The world isn’t funny anymore, and good doesn’t always triumph anymore, and stupid doesn't always lose anymore, and Schultz couldn’t handle that. This is why Candie’s European pretensions eat at him so much, why he can’t handle Candie’s sister defiling his country’s national hero Beethoven with her dirty slaver hands. His murder of Candie is his final act of arrogance, one last attempt at retaining his dignity, and one that nearly dooms his friends. Django would have had no problem walking away broke and outsmarted. He understands that the system is fucked. He can look at it without flinching.

But Schultz does go out with one final victory, and it isn’t murdering Candie; It’s the conversation about Alexandre Dumas. Candie thinks Schultz is being a sore loser, and he’s not wrong, but it’s a lot more than that. It’s because Candie is not a worthy opponent; he’s just a dumb thug given power by a broken system. That’s what the Dumas conversation is about; it’s Schultz saying to Candie directly, “You’re not cool, you’re not smart, you’re not sophisticated, you’re just a piece of shit and no matter how thoroughly you defeated me, you are never going to get anything from me but contempt.”

And that does make me feel better. No matter how much trouble it caused Django in the end, it comforts me to think that Calvin died knowing that he wasn’t anything but a piece of shit.
>>
I see you've been leredditing, OP. nice memes!

https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/4cl7gr/the_ending_to_django_unchained_happens_because/
>>
>>67643576
i dont k ow whats worse, the fact that he was redditing, or the fact that you knew exactly what he was doing. even though shame on both of you. next time show some class.
>>
File: 5459082_orig.jpg (8 KB, 250x242) Image search: [Google]
5459082_orig.jpg
8 KB, 250x242
>>67643532
>It's not good enough that slavery offends him
>It should outrage him!

Nothing is good enough for these people.
>>
>>67643532
Honestly it's just piss poor writing. We are shown Schultz has two shots in his wrist gun earlier in the movie. Why he did t use the second shot is beyond all logic and reason, only serving to advance the plot in the way Tarantino wanted (Schultz and Candie dead, Django lone survivor). He's getting lazy and boring in his old age. Hateful 8 cements that.
>>
And so in other words one question must be asked. Why didn't Schultz just shake his hand?
>>
tarantino is a literal autist, he doesn't understand characters, he just takes scenes from other movies and stitches them together
>>
>one of the heroes in the movie used to be a dentist
>villains are named brittle and candy
>>
>>67643747
Explain
>>
>>67643703
>obvious copy pasta
>google source
>this makes me a redditor
>>
The scene where Schultz purchases Broomhilda's freedom and then proceeds to shoot and kill Candie symbolizes the North's victory over the South in the civil war, but it is a hollow victory for the slaves as they are free in name only.

After Candie's funeral Django escapes and proceeds to kill Stephen, which represents the black on black violence that occurred after the civil war
>>
>>67643775
>d-d-d-damage control
>>
File: image.jpg (16 KB, 183x275) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
16 KB, 183x275
>>67643747
>DAAAHH KEENG OF DIALOGUE
>>
>>67643819
No?
>>
>>67643722
He actually reloads his pistol the first time when he shot the sheriff, Taratino didn't cut to it or show it closely happening
>>
>>67643747
actually he copies other movies ie Reservoir Dogs is a ripoff of City on Fire or Hateful 8 is a ripoff of The Thing, Kill Bill is a ripoff of Lady Snowblood, the list goes on and on he's the biggest fucking Hollywood sanctioned hack ever
>>
>>67643851
TRUE DAT
>>
>>67644055
>hateful 8 is a ripoff of the thing
That would explain why I like it so much
>>
>>67644055
>8 rips off The Thing?
Explain that shit this instant you faggola
>>
>>67644345
I think he means loosely because it's a blizzard and you don't know who the bad guys are

It's a pretty big stretch lol
>>
>>67644345
not the guy and haven't seen hateful 8 but the alien in the thing was a parasite that infected living things including humans. Part of what made the movie great was you weren't sure who was really human or who was infected and the bad guy. Theres also a famous scene that portrays this
>>
You guys must be crazy, DiCaprio was fucking mocking on Schultz face and u wanted him to just shake his hand? Yet u complain that he doesn't get outraged w slavery
>>
>>67643703

I don't know what is worse, that we're on /tv/ shitting on breddit when we post memes and tell everyone to go back to breddit or that they're having an actual discussion about movies and not a "I want to fuck Hermione's feet" thread.
>>
>>67643532
>When we first meet King Schultz, he’s a larger-than-life figure – a cocky, European version of Clint Eastwood’s Man with No Name.
No he isn't.
>His murder of Candie is his final act of arrogance,
Or he didn't like the guy and decided to murder him instead of shake his hand.
>And that does make me feel better.
No one cares.
>it comforts me to think that Calvin died knowing that he wasn’t anything but a piece of shit.
He probably died wondering where that gun came from tbphwyf.

Schultz was a dentist. That's why he murdered the Brittle brothers and Calvin Candie. He didn't care about slavery, he cared about tooth decay.
>>
>>67644466
>>67644387
I would rather say that 8 is ripping off Reservoir Dogs.
And what was Reservoir Dogs? How do you make a movie set in essentially one location because you're a flat broke video store clerk who wants to get into movies and you're obsessed with 60s and 70s movie culture.
But before you make that movie some other scripts of yours get picked up and you end up casting good actors for your original one location movie.
8 is actually pottery and not Things.
>>
>>67644345
>>67644387
Tarantino has literally said he wrote Hateful 8 basically as a way to get out his thoughts on The Thing. That's why he's got Kurt, that's why he's got Ennio, that's why he's got snow and deception. That said, I think it's a little more than that because, unlike Django, 8 is a (more) subtle and realistic look at race relations and we see our 2 protagonists go from complete opposite ends of the spectrum (racist confederate and cracker-hating black guy) to understanding that they can only trust one another, and in overcoming their own racism they defeat the real evils of their world. It also ends on a very similar note to The Thing, with one black guy and one white guy sharing a quiet moment together when they know they are about to die (although in the Thing it is probable that one of them is an alien monster thingy, and here that is not true at all).

8 is still very flawed (structurally, but also Roth and Madsen nearly destroyed the film for me, they were terrible), but it is a much better film than Tarantino has made in almost 20 years
>>
>>67644484
You know, even though I think you might be stupid or a foreigner, you have a point. By shaking his hand, putting aside his feelings and doing something that would sacrifice his dignity, Schultz would have essentially been a slave himself. Someone who at any point could rise against their enemies but instead chooses only to suffer because they are a broken people. Schultz did the one thing no slave had ever done to Calvin or his family, he just fucking shot the guy
>>
>>67644714
Your analsys is actually compelling. I stand corrected.
What about: >I would rather say that 8 is ripping off Reservoir Dogs.
>>
>>67643773
Literally all of Tarantino's original work is distilled genre movies.
This is a man with little writing ability, who's watched a SHITLOAD of film, and then got into the position where he can just take all the shit he thought was cool out of all the movies he's watched and throw them into a film of his own.
Its pretty blatant with the Kill Bill movies because those are literally just kung fu cliches strewn out into two films. When you get into the crime movies like Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, and Jackie Brown you'd have to dig a little deeper but really if you have any familiarity with writing none of the characters have any real character themselves and are at best archetypes Tarantino uses to push along a generic storyline and spout off whatever dialogue he threw in that he thinks is witty/cute/clever. Like that diner scene with Buscemi, that burger scene with Jackson/Travolta, or that retarded capeshit speech in Kill Bill 2.
He can imitate a decent film but the man's not really all that creative on his own.
>>67644345
The only real connection between the two is both films feature characters trapped in close quarters with each other dying off in paranoia of which one of them will die/is killing them.
Its actually an interesting and apt comparison.
>>
>>67644674
How come no Aliens style sequel to The Thing was made called "Things"? That's a movie I would be interested in

Perhaps I will start writing in, I am already writing a film titled "Rambo 2" which picks up at the end of the first one but instead of crying like a pussy Stallone shoots the colonel and fights hundreds of cops and even the military in a massive gunfight with hardly any dialogue
>>
>>67644714
I agree with the Roth and madsen part but idk why
>>
>>67644825
Actually haven't seen Dogs in some time so I can't give complete thoughts about that, but obviously it has lots of similarities with the false identities and flashbacks and the like. I would say the similarities kind of stop there though because all of 8's characters are in the room from the beginning, but like I said I haven't seen Dogs in a few years so I can't really talk much about this.
>>
Reddit as fuck.
>>
>>67644865
AHEM!
Tarrantula in Space.
Use bleak imagery of late 60s and early 70s scifi like Planet Ape and Logans Run.
BTW Good luck with your Stallone Epic.
>>
>>67643964
Lol yes
>>
>>67644833
>Literally all of Tarantino's original work is distilled genre movies.

I'd say that Pulp Fiction is an exception to that.
>>
>>67645012
Thanks but I'm pretty sure I will have to wait until Sly bites the dust to get it made. Since I'm going to basically be insulting his career after First Blood, showing how he made a mockery of decent action films by creating right wing propaganda material and middle school pandering bullshit
>>
>>67643722
What would he have done? Shot the mustache guy from far away? Boohoo, a character didn't do what you would in that situation.
>>
>>67644928
Roth basically did a bad Christoph Waltz impression and Madsen just sucks in general. I fucking hate him even in Reservoir Dogs. He's just a piece of shit. Although that once cool shot where he walked out to the shed where the black kid was hiding in Hateful 8 was one of the best pieces of the film
>>
File: they-live-the-1988-movie-that-te.jpg (384 KB, 1530x2162) Image search: [Google]
they-live-the-1988-movie-that-te.jpg
384 KB, 1530x2162
>>67644865
>How come no Aliens style sequel to The Thing was made called "Things"?

It's called They Live
>>
>>67645374
Good film but it doesn't have the whole Lovecraftian body horror shit The Thing does. Can you imagine like dozens of teeth and tendril spewing monsters built out of human flesh and bones. I guess that sounds kinda Dead Space-y but you know what I mean.
>>
>>67644055
>I don't know what pastiche is
>>
>>67645594

Is it french for stealing?
>>
>>67643806

lol
>>
>>67643532
>Slavery offends him, like a bad odor, but it doesn’t outrage him.
that's definetly not true. He offered to buy the slave who ran away. Is that a bad odor or was he legitimately trying to save him? ILL LET YOU DECIDE
>>
>>67644714

>Roth and Madsen were terrible

THANK YOU holy shit thank you
>>
>>67643532
Decent analysis but stops short of the political implications. A lot of the push for emancipation was driven by paternalism and an arrogant, class-based disdain for Southern "aristocrats". Schulz embodies all of this. Django Unchained is kind of a goofy movie but does a good job of representing American chattel slavery without being overtly allegorical about it.
>>
>>67644833

Savage but fair description of tarantini and his work
>>
>>67645367
Even though l kinda like Madsen, l gotta agree that both he and the character himself were pretty useless.

But why do people say that about Roth? Waltz couldn't have pulled off neither Oswaldo Mobray, nor Pete Hicox. So unless Tarantino extensively reworked those characters, he didn't mwan for them to be similar to Dr. Schultz from Django.
>>
>>67645310

Do yourself a favor and find a new hobby because it sounds fucking awful
>>
I was just reading this very same thread on reddit.
>>
>>67646039
I'm aware. It's just fun to completely massacre classic movies in my own anti-fanfic tripe. Trust me, I know it's absurdly retarded. I'm also writing a film where Don Frye (real guy, look him up though you should already know who he is) is a homeless drunkard and learns that all of his MMA fights were rigged. He also develops a paranoia that Jewish Reptilians ruined his Hollywood career and begins waging a one man war against them, culminating in a massive police station shootout.
>>
>>67646022
Mobray to me seemed like Tarantino must have explicitly told him to copy Waltz, but I dunno. Hicox is more up his alley, but he has little to do as his real self. In fact, almost all of the antagonists except Mexican Bob did not feel even vaguely fleshed out or human in any way. Felt like they were just there for the body count.
>>
>>67645011
Goto /b/ if you want random shit fag. We're discussing kino here
>>
>>67646236
Yeah, l think that was kinda the point. They were all dispicable human beings, but most of them had a more human side as well. I particularly liked the general, Mannix, and Ruth.

Or did you just mean Daisy's gang?

As for the Mexican, l heard he was supposed to be a Frenchman played by the guy from the intro to Basterds. I really liked Bichir, but it's a shame the original idea didn't pan out.
>>
>>67643532

The ending happens because Tarantino wrote himself into a corner.
>>
>>67644833

His pick and choose methods worked great for Inglorious Bastards though. It's basically a separate b action movie and pure melodrama until they clash together for a natural conclusion.

He should do that more.
>>
>>67643532
the diamonds were in his jacket you fucking retard
>>
>>67646748

Going to add that it made it somewhat unpredictable and gave it at least a tad more depth for a change.
>>
So can I just post comments from the reddit thread or what, what is the etiquette here
>>
>>67646506
I just meant the gang. I liked Mannix, Ruth, Warren, and Daisy herself a lot. It's just that pretty much all the other characters didn't do much. That's what I meant about the structure of the film being flawed, too. He's got plenty of good elements but doesn't quite know which ones to flesh out and how to weave them together.
>>
>>67646748
>>67646813
I may be in the minority here but I don't much for Basterds. It's cool enough and well acted for the most part, and don't get me wrong there are some genuinely great scenes, but it still feels very lacking. It's because he chose to stitch together a kind of lackluster story, I think, and the "depth" (even though the idea of showing the "heroes" as total savages is pretty interesting) isn't quite as intelligent as it would like to be. I still think it's an alright film, but I like it less each time I watch it.
>>
>>67647311

No I agree. If it was by anyone else I wouldn't think so highly of it but as far as Tarantino goes I think it's his best work. Casting was also pretty good.
>>
>>67643768
I actually never noticed that pottery. Does that mean I'm retarded?
>>
>>67643532

>having to justify killing a slave owner
>>
>>67643532

This is a reddit thread.

And by that I mean this is a lirteral copy/paste from a thread on reddit right now.
>>
File: 1294586800013.jpg (41 KB, 500x596) Image search: [Google]
1294586800013.jpg
41 KB, 500x596
>>67643540
>Candie’s victory shatters his illusions, his wall of irony. The world isn’t funny anymore, and good doesn’t always triumph anymore, and stupid doesn't always lose anymore, and Schultz couldn’t handle that. This is why Candie’s European pretensions eat at him so much, why he can’t handle Candie’s sister defiling his country’s national hero Beethoven with her dirty slaver hands. His murder of Candie is his final act of arrogance, one last attempt at retaining his dignity, and one that nearly dooms his friends. Django would have had no problem walking away broke and outsmarted. He understands that the system is fucked. He can look at it without flinching.

Good points there. It's funny I always stop the movie after his death. The last half hour or so is just unnecessary fat for me.
>>
>>67643532
You don't think killing all those people caused him to go a little mad? Or that he may have always been insane?
>>
>it's a "teenager thinks he knows how the world works" thread.

NOPE.
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.