[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Kevin Smith has waded into the debate over the much-maligned
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 27
File: kevin-ben.jpg (37 KB, 600x350) Image search: [Google]
kevin-ben.jpg
37 KB, 600x350
>Kevin Smith has waded into the debate over the much-maligned comic-book movie Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, arguing that Zack Snyder’s film fundamentally misunderstands both superheroes.

>Smith, a long-term friend of the film’s star Ben Affleck, and a comic-book aficionado, has just been announced as a guest director for the TV series The Flash, which is from the same Warner Bros/DC stable as Batman v Superman. But he pulled no punches while discussing Snyder’s film on the latest episode of his Hollywood Babble-On podcast.

>“[I felt like] the movie … didn’t really have a heart,” opined Smith. “It was certainly fucking humourless, there was nothing funny going on in that world whatsoever.”

>He added: “There seems to be a fundamental lack of understanding of what those characters are about. It’s almost like Zack Snyder didn’t read a bunch of comics, he read one comic once, and it was Dark Knight Returns, and his favourite part was the last part where Batman and Superman fight. But … you get to do that in that book because you’ve got three books prior to that and 50 years at that point of comic-book history to build on.”

>Smith described Snyder as a “beautiful visual stylist”, but said the film suffered in other areas: “You need more than just the pictures, you need characterisation, and these characters seemed off, especially Superman.”
>>
>>67635030
link?
>>
when capeshit containment board
>>
>>67635049
http://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/mar/30/kevin-smith-batman-v-superman-criticism
>>
>Kevin Smith
literally stopped reading there
when was the last time that fat fucktard was relevant
>>
What a fucking nerd.
>>
>>67635030
>not muh superman
>not muh batman

Not my problem.
>>
He should pay more attention to his own visual stylings than he does listening to himself talk.
>>
File: 1270340502860.jpg (15 KB, 319x475) Image search: [Google]
1270340502860.jpg
15 KB, 319x475
ITT: mad DC cucks being mad
>>
>>67635070
>it's not a video
well see yah later kid
>>
>>67635077

Red State was great.
>>
>>67635030
>didn’t really have a heart
F@*# off Kevin I teared up twice.
>>
Why does every movie have to be funny?
>>
>>67635161
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDsw86ATrQ0
>>
>>67635226
You must be 18+ to post on this indonesian fingerpainting forum.
>>
>>67635030
>tl;dr it was a cash grab

No shit, Kevin
>>
>>67635188
Kevin Pollack, John Goodman, and the preacher guy made it great.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDsw86ATrQ0&ab_channel=KevinSmith

here's kevin saying he liked it.
>>
>literally "not enough jokes" "not muh batman"

Why is Kevin Smith still considered relevant?
>>
File: CRHk9h4XAAALA3Q.jpg (58 KB, 600x565) Image search: [Google]
CRHk9h4XAAALA3Q.jpg
58 KB, 600x565
>REEEEEEEEEEEEE IT'S NOT LIKE MUH COMIC BOOKS
That's not how you critique a film. This is the same calibre of mouth-breathing shitbrainery that leads to people criticisng Braveheart for not being historically inaccurate.
>>
>>67635285

Melissa Leo was great too.
>>
>>67635030
Kevin Smith fundamentally misunderstands life. He's one of us with the benefit of shitting out a classic early on because he didn't have /tv/ to shitpost; instead, he went out and did something.
To me, he only made 2 good movies and both of those had the name Clerks. Okay, Zack and Miri was funny but only because it was somewhat Clerks.
When it comes to everything else, Smith is a child. He's the first manchild. When I think of good dick and fart comedy, I think Apatow, not Smith. When I think of good comedy, I think Seinfeld and C.K., not Smith. When I think of bubblegum scented spandex and turds, I think of smith.
Smith needs to write Clerks 3 and shut the fuck up.
>>
Kevin wrote some Batman books that was universally shit upon so it's not like he can talk. Kevin is also the same guy that used to suck The Phantom Menace's dick. I've pretty much lost all respect for him.
>>
Superman was a giant cunt and Batman was an asshole. Nothing about this movie reflected any previous stories. Hard to admit but Smith nailed it.
>>
File: 1411674105202.jpg (37 KB, 331x473) Image search: [Google]
1411674105202.jpg
37 KB, 331x473
>It was certainly fucking humourless, there was nothing funny going on in that world whatsoever.
>>
>waaaahhh this kino wasn't like my immature manchild fantasy books

kys you fat fuck
>>
>>67635343
It wasn't, though.
>>
Haha what a pleb no wonder his daughters loose.
>>
This was the same guy that introduced a metric-ton of literal rape into fucking Spider-Man on one of the few occasions where some idiot allowed him to write for the character.

Nobody should be hiring him as some kind of consultant for character actions.
>>
>>67635442
That's another thing. Batman nor Superman books are known for humor. I guess there needed to be quips though.
>>
i feel like kevin doesn't even read comics anymore, he just likes comic book characters.
>>
>>67635030
kek, Kevin Smith, king of neckbeard manchilds
>>
>>67635405

Clerks is overrated garbage.
>muh black and white indie
>>
>>67635030
lots of queers seem to hate the movie just because there was no quips and jokes. they sound like a buch of marvel paid shills
>>
>>67635528
That's how I knew redlettermedia would hate it. They hated Man of Steel because they said it wasn't goofy and fun. I really do not understand how an adult can use this as a legitimate criticism.
>>
>>67635030
Fuck him. There was nothing wrong with the film, it was meant to e a loud, flashy, comfy popcorn film and that's what it was

his problem is he's a die hard comic book fan and die hard fans are never pleased because they have their own interpretation of the characters built up from years of reading comics

"there was nothing funny going on"
was is it with people and wanting these films to be funny? the gad damn world is constantly on the brink of destruction in these comic book universe and faggots like him want the film to be fun, the world in these films should be dark and gritty and depressing as fuck

you can not please die hard fans with films like this because all they will do is knit pick, the film was made for casuals and as a casual i loved it, i got to see batman and superman on the screen for the first time and they had a fight then they teamed up, that's all us casuals wanted and that's what we got, like we care if the characters seems off and they weren't deep
>>
>>67635561
>>67635528
Just turn your brain off bro

t marvelcuck
>>
How is Kevin Smith even relevant? He did a single movie that was worth anything and then instantly was proven a hack, yet he talks like he's the biggest citic.

Snyder prolly doesn't even know who Kevin Smith is.
>>
>>67635413
Which ones?
>>
>>67635491
How do you even expect that shit since you already saw man of murder and trailers for this being ultimately in "dark" setting. Are you retarded? Should be there a tagline "IT'S NOT COMEDY GUYS" for you to understand that?
>>
>>67635030
>“[I felt like] the movie … didn’t really have a heart,” opined Smith. “It was certainly fucking humourless, there was nothing funny going on in that world whatsoever.”
>no humour
>no heart
>therefore shit
Can they at least pretends it wasn't about god damn jokes every 10 seconds they miss from their marvel movies?
>>
>>67635258

Because if a film asks me to accept a reality where nobody can figure out that Clark Kent and Superman are the exact same persons, it's also asking for trouble unless it pokes fun at itself.
>>
>>67635263
Is he a midget? Why does he wear tshirts for grownups?
>>
>>67635285
As did Kevin Smith... he wrote and directed it.
>>
>>67635668
it's a hockey jersey
>>
>>67635611
a movie being dark, is not a reason for it not having humor. fight club, nightmare before christmas, meet joe black's death even, every mad max movie, fuck every good dark movie is a comedy.

THEY CALL IT BLACK HUMOR, AT THE WORST.

That's called CONTRAST in art. DIAMETRICALLY OPPOSED CONCEPTS.
If it not, then it's black.
>>
>>67635521
Black and white because he couldn't afford color cameras, anon. He was maxing out credit cards. The fast and trashy banter was sold on the strengths of the performances by Anderson and that other guy who has never been in anything else, ever. If it had been Smith and Mewes playing Clerk and Randal the movie would have been shit.
And the shock value really carries the movie. She fucked a dead guy.
>>
>>67635030
>Smith, a long-term friend of the film’s star Ben Affleck

Nope. Smith burned the bridge after he sperged out to the media about Ben not thanking him in his Good Will Hunting Oscar acceptance speech. Then they made up but Smith burned the bridge again after he sperged out to the media about Jennifer Garner hating hanging out with him.
>>
>>67635030
I care more about Kevin James and his opinion than Kevin Smith and his meme opinion.
>>
>>67635030
His green arrow comic was caca
>>
>>67635561
Because super heroes are for retarded manchildren, its an inherently unserious concept
>>
>>67635258
He didnt say it had to be funny, just pointing out that it wasnt. in my opinion, capeshit should be somewhat lighthearted because its a fucking movie about batman and superman fighting it doesnt need to feel like schindlers list
>>
>>67635030
>There seems to be a fundamental lack of understanding of what those characters are about.

That's what Zack Snyder and Kevin Smith have in common.
>>
>>67635614
he didn't think it was shit, just bizarre. he says it's not sucks, but he also says he's glad they did the movie serious. compared to like suicide squad.
>>
>>67635561
Because Superman has always been a goofy and fun character even if some of the feelings that went into the character might be legit.
>>
>>67635077
Relevant or not his geek cred with comics is still off the charts.
>>
>>67635258
Thats what the source material is
>>
>>67635915
Why? Because he cries at movie sets?
>>
>>67635258
Cape comics are stories about adventures and adventures are fun.
>>
File: 43256.jpg (179 KB, 584x696) Image search: [Google]
43256.jpg
179 KB, 584x696
>>67635915

You have no idea what you're talking about.

He wrote Quiver and Guardian Devil which were well received as competent ripoffs of better comics but are universally acknowledged to have aged like dog shit. Everything else he's written is among the worst comics has to offer. His "highlight" being his Batman comic in which he retconned one of the most iconic Batman moments in history to have Batman pissing his pants. He also insisted on having his entirely inept and untrained childhood best friend as the artist making him responsible for some of the worst art that's ever been published in a mainstream comic.
>>
>>67635479
That's how you criticise a history textbook, not a film.
>>
>>67636067
WHAT THE FUCK
>>
File: wg03.jpg (121 KB, 538x467) Image search: [Google]
wg03.jpg
121 KB, 538x467
>>67636067
>>67636117

http://comicsalliance.com/worst-of-the-worst-batman-the-widening-gyre-6/
>>
>>67636067
Jesus fuckign christ
>>
>>67636133

>33
>double digits

oh here we go
>>
File: 1433306656708.jpg (30 KB, 389x434) Image search: [Google]
1433306656708.jpg
30 KB, 389x434
>>67635744
>shitting on the whole movie just because there wasn't one joke in club for CONTRAST
>>
>>67636188
>88
nice
>>
>>67635077
I don't even know who he is. Why is Affleck friends with such a muh- geek-culture (I assume) nobody?
>>
File: 4367.jpg (105 KB, 562x444) Image search: [Google]
4367.jpg
105 KB, 562x444
>We hit double digits
>>67636133
>>67636188
>>
>>67636067
Lol. I show Batfags this page all the time. They get so pissed. My friend who's a die hard Batman fan wants to beat the shit out of Kevin Smith for this. Gotta love autism.
>>
File: dubs.jpg (237 KB, 1100x1380) Image search: [Google]
dubs.jpg
237 KB, 1100x1380
>>67636133
>>67636188
>>
>>67635077

Just pretend he is called 'anon' and what he said was a post on this board. I can't remember the name of the fallacy you have succumbed to, faggotry I think.
>>
>>67635188
no it wasnt.
>>
>>67636067
Go on, I am interested in this. I liked guardian devil fine and I remember him writing a story for spiderman which was dogshit, but I was never a dc fan. What is the context for this batman page?
>>
>>67636417

The above scene is one of the most iconic scenes in Year One, one of the most iconic Batman stories. And Kevin exploits it to make a joke about Batman pissing his pants.
>>
>>67636222
Are you serious? Kevin Smith gave him his first big break as the main character of a film.
He also had big roles in a couple other films Smith made too.
>>
>>67636133
HOLY FUCK MEME MAGIC
>>
> tfw kevin Smith has less subscribers than comicbookgirl19

Oh you poor washed up blob...
>>
>NO QUIPS?!?!? SHIT MOVIE
>WHERE IS ALL THE FUNNY STUFF FOR US COMIC BOOK FANS?
>IT LOOKS GOOD BUT ITS ACTUALLY BAD
>>
> “It’s almost like Zack Snyder didn’t read a bunch of comics, he read one comic once, and it was Dark Knight Returns, and his favourite part was the last part where Batman and Superman fight. But … you get to do that in that book because you’ve got three books prior to that and 50 years at that point of comic-book history to build on.”

>Smith described Snyder as a “beautiful visual stylist”, but said the film suffered in other areas: “You need more than just the pictures, you need characterisation, and these characters seemed off, especially Superman.”

This right here is why BvS is shit. But you casuals dont understand it because you did never read a comic and only watch capeshit movies.
>>
>>67636822

But BvS isn't a comic.
>>
>>67635030
>batman crashing a car of bad guys into a wall
>Batman shooting a cable at said destroyed car and dragging it until it blows up
>batman snapping a dudes neck
>batman using assault rifles to shoot people to death
>Batman getting shot point blank in the head and just going AAAARRGHH
>batman blowing up more cars full of people
>superman killing literally every bad guy he meets, destroying cities dooming innocents (situation called for hurried results same as batman gunning everyone in his path) and then feeling morally superior to batman for branding pedophiles and tries to stop him

>humourless

I was laughing my ass off. Maybe Kevin should blaze more
>>
>>67636394
tusk was great
>>
File: guardian-devil.jpg (134 KB, 824x1280) Image search: [Google]
guardian-devil.jpg
134 KB, 824x1280
>>67636067
He also wrote a pretty good and seminal Daredevil run, "Guardian Devil".

Nevertheless, the guy is an avid comic book reader and has been for most of his natural life. He knows these characters' histories left and right and he's speaking as a fanboy, not as a writer.

This guy has made most of his life and career revolve around comic books, he even appreciates Batman more than his own daughter at times, he has more of a valid viewpoint than most critics that slammed the movie on RT because he knows his shit. Unlike Snyder, who claims that he likes comic books. He obviously only skips through some of them, gets the overall idea and runs with it.

And for Smith to not have enjoyed this movie? says a lot about how terrible it was.
>>
>>67636935
How are these valid criticisms of this movies Batman?
This is post The Joker beating Robin to death with a crowbar you know?

just finished reading the post though, still wanted to vent to people who think these are bad things
>>
>>67636981
>he's speaking as a fanboy, not as a writer.

>so you should respect his opinion
>>
>kevin is pretending that he liked bvs on twitter
>>
>>67636822
The police investigating the house felt very comic like. Like them shining the light on the batarang I can so picture a panel of that. That whole scene was goat
>a devil saved us

>he's still here

>AAAHHHHHHH
>>
I fucking hate Kevin Smith, he is a fat talentless epitome of Gen x nostalgia man baby worthlessness. He only got famous for making a movies that appealed to trash like movie bob. I hate his meme face, and his meme movies. As I get old my hatred only grows for this hack piece of shit.
>>
>>67635030
the movie is bad but not because it lacks humour or isn't "funny". it doesn't have to be funny. or what this guy considers humour.
>>
>>67637035
That's not what the conversation nor what I said was about.

How about you take another sip of your bottle and try reading everything again, but really try this time.
>>
>>67635030
and the movie had like 2 jokes, so it was funny. the part where batman save superman's mom and said "i'm a friend of your son" and she responds "i figured cause the cape". comedy gold.
>>
>>67635597
Batman: Cacophony and it's sequel I forget the name of. Cacophony was the worst Batman comic I've ever read, and I never bothered with the sequel.

He also wrote 2 marvel stories that he never bothered to finish.

Smith is a hack, and proof that loving comics doesn't mean you understand or can make comics.
>>
>>67637228

Is this Kevin Smith?
>>
>>67635030

What is he talking about? Some guy behind me in the theater was laughing at everything, Batman killing guys, even Superman's funeral, he was laughing at all of it.

Fucking asshole.
>>
>>67635030
For once, I actually agree with this fat fuck.
>>
>>67635258
Unless you commit 100% to being a drama, humour will always pop up in any dialogue/interaction between characters. Its why Sopranos is still one of the funniest shows ever despite never going out of its way to be a quipfest.
>>
>>67637540
The thing is, Superman is as dark and brooding as Batman in this movies.

And that's unacceptable.
>>
>>67637621

I think Superman is just confused: "WTF? I'm trying to help you people and you're treating me like the bad guy here..."
>>
A: 10
V: 10
Acting: 10
Writing: 2

YIFY/10
>>
>>67635030
>not muh comic book copy

No shit fat fuck. It's based on MoS and takes elements from the comics, it isn't a direct fucking copy. It doesn't have to be exactly the same.
>>
Lol. Well I guess he's not hosting the next DC movie special!! Ironic now he's shitting on the movie, if you saw the special, he jizzed over every announcement and word they said. Fuckin pleb.

Also wasn't he supposed to do a panel at a comic con when Zack pulled him aside and showed him a pic of Ben in costume?? I thought he couldn't focus during the panel and shit and creamed himself. It was like 2 years they filmed this damn thing so I could remember incorrectly.
>>
> Hated LoTR trilogy.
> Love the prequels.

And this is why Kevin Smith is not a reliable critic.
>>
>>67637646
Sure, fair enough. But why does the story have to be that? Why is Snyder trying to explore how realistic would a super man be in the real current world? He saved the earth and went along on his way in MoS, why couldn't he be more of a hero in this new one to play off against Batman's personality?

Why did it have to be BATMAN V SUPERMAN a movie in the first place? An adaptation of World's Finest would've been fine as an introductory story for the DCU, why take Dark Knight Returns as a starting point? Makes no logical sense.
>>
>>67637477
Dubs got a big laugh in my theater. Not from me. I laughed when 40 people all waited for an after credits scene and I kept telling my buddy there would be nothing let's just leave and then there was nothing
>>
>>67637540
See>>67636935
Where you at family
>>
>>67636981
>And for Smith to not have enjoyed this movie? says a lot about how terrible it was.
What I've learned from listening to fanboys talking about comic movies is that they never really appreciate any movie.
>>
>Zach Snyder
>David Goyer
>Chris Terrio
>Geoff Johns

So these knuckleheads couldn't put their heads together to come up with a decent Batman v Superman script? Snyder and Goyer I can understand, Maybe even Terrio. But Geoff Johns is big time. How the hell did this get past him? Did Affleck have any input?

Shit boggles my mind.
>>
File: 65165111.jpg (62 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
65165111.jpg
62 KB, 1280x720
so we wont get to see him crying watching the end of that one ?
>>
>>67637809

Superman was being a hero, but everyone was viewing him as a villain because they didn't trust him, and because of the death and destruction that came to Earth because of him.

Humans couldn't trust Superman to always be good because they don't trust themselves to be good.
>>
>>67636067
Why is Quiver bad?
>>
File: Kevin_Smith_Episodio_VII.jpg (140 KB, 1020x611) Image search: [Google]
Kevin_Smith_Episodio_VII.jpg
140 KB, 1020x611
>>67637883
Smith appreciates a lot. A LOT. He basically finds the silver lining in every movie or tv show.

And he didn't find one in BvS. Which stars his manchild crushes: Ben Affleck and Batman.

Think about that for a second. Those are like two of his favorite things in the world. Meshed together.
>>
>>67636935
ayyy once and for all superman killed no one in BvS and zod is only kill all time ayyyy when he's put in a lose lose situation he still tries to cooperate ayyy
>>
>>67637809
>Why does the story have to be like that
Because that's what the director wanted, don't base anything off of what you want, base it off what the director tried to achieve.
Because at the end of the day he saved us from a threat that was brought here with him, it was his cross to bare, you can't just leave a being that powerful unchecked during peace time either.

>Why was it this, why couldn't it be what I wanted!
Dude please learn how to criticize a movie
>>
File: superman_snyder superman.jpg (456 KB, 800x645) Image search: [Google]
superman_snyder superman.jpg
456 KB, 800x645
>>67637972
Again, I get that. I totally get it. But if you were the director of that movie, would you have gone in Snyder's direction in making that world just as dark and making the people act that way towards Superman?

Or would you have gone in a different direction?

That's my point; Snyder seems adamant in making that world grim and gritty for everyone. He's not directing The Crow or Spawn. He's directing Superman for christ's sake.
>>
>>67635622
Lex and Lois figured it out.
>>
>>67637972
>trust themselves to be good.
superman commits to the ultimate act of good in which he self sacrifices in order to triumph over the all consuming evil of men
batman sees superman as he is and umm turns into a believer while lex does the opposite
>>
>>67638189
>muh Superman
>>
>>67638189
i see your point and i raise you the scene in metropolis. to me that scene was the starting of a full relationship to humanity. he gave himself up for them and they now understand. if you seek his monument look around you i think doesn't just refer to the physical space around the tomb
>>
>>67638157
>Because that's what the director wanted
>Dude please learn how to criticize a movie

Alright then.

>>67638240
>muh greentext
>>
>>67635030
I'm legitimately shocked he's not sucking this movie's dick.

If this isn't the ultimate proof that BvS is shit, nothing is, because Smith has defended absolute trash like SW Episode 1.
>>
>>67635528
>>67635561
Why don't you DCucks understand that superheroes are inherently ridiculous? The seriousness of Nolan's Batman trilogy worked because his Batman was grounded in reality. Snyder took Nolan's serious approach, amped it up to 11 and applied it to Superman even though Superman is a completely ridiculous character that shouldn't be taken too seriously.
>>
>>67638378

I think it has a lot to do with his passive aggressiveness towards the fact he's not even friends with Afleck anymore since his bitch hates him with a passion.
>>
WHERE

WERE

THE

QUIPS
>>
I wish we could round up DC fans and shoot them into the sun.
>>
>>67638378
This, Kevin Smith is the biggest fanboy on the planet. He loves to blindly buy into hype.
>>
>fucking manchildren
>pls stop
>>
Who is worse, kevin smith or will wheaton?
>>
>>67636545
shit negro. she still around? fuck kevin must not have many subs then
>>
>>67635077

1. He's not fat anymore actually

2. He's someone who's opinion matters when it comes to comic books as he is a creator of some good ones (and some delayed never saw an ending ones)

3. He's also a well received film creator

So pretty fuckin' relevant I'd say.
>>
http://youtu.be/9boximy1JQM
>this thread right now
>>
>>67638490
nah, nigga been parroting how great of a batman affleck will be since day 1
also said the sole good thing about bvs was batfleck
>>
>>67638538
Will Wheaton by a mile.
>>
Kevin Smith wrote a comic where Batman pissed his pants.
>>
Kevin really needs to lose some more weight. I think all that estrogen from decades of being obese is really, truly warping his mind. He's like a totally different person than he was 10 years ago. That's not typical. And you can't say he's better off being a sniveling crying pussy.
>>
>>67638538
Wil Wheaton, no fucking contest. Wil is an insufferable asshole who's claim to fame is being the worst character in Star Trek The Next Generation. At least Smith has made a couple of good films and he doesn't seem like an asshole.
>>
>>67637719
when you lift the lines directly from the comic, yes it fucking is.
>>
>>67635077
Fucking Fatman on Batman... man
>>
File: 1459285114389.jpg (58 KB, 474x503) Image search: [Google]
1459285114389.jpg
58 KB, 474x503
>>67638571
>He's not fat anymore actually
This is what Americans/Mexicans/Bongs actually believe.
>>
>>67635258

Because in comics there's always some humor deep down inside the story no matter how serious it is.
>>
>>67638490
source?
Not doubting you, I just think it'd make for a fun read
>>
>>67638576
You're either that fucking idiot or you're even more pathetic and you follow that nobody to even know of this video's existence. And to link to it the minute it gets uploaded.
>>
File: 1458856113013.jpg (12 KB, 212x232) Image search: [Google]
1458856113013.jpg
12 KB, 212x232
>>67636133
>we hit double digits
>33

What a time to be alive!
>>
>>67635493
He reads Batman, he has read some Scott Snyder, source: Fatman on Batman
>>
>>67638684

For the life of me I can't remember but think it was on Hollywood Babylon. Horrible podcast but when the news was announced I think everyone wanted his opinion and he basically spelled it out he doesn't even talk to him anymore since Garner hates him.
>>
>>67635528
>>67635561
I really do not understand how adults can like BvS. It's just as ridiculous and childish as anything Marvel has put out. The only major difference is Snyder is a pretentious hack who thinks seriousness and obvious Jesus symbolism makes his schlock art.
>>
>>67638580

Probably right he is basically his biggest fan.
>>
>>67638749
fair enough.
>>
>>67635343

That is how you critique a film with source material though.

>>67635405

>Not mallrats or Dogma

Shit taste anon

>>67635413

Yeah but he's also written great stories not every writer is good for every character just look at Bendis and how he varies between different works.

>>67635562

Die hard fans aren't the problem the movie literally shits allover the 75 year history of DC comics.
>>
>>67635077
When he made Genevieve cry
>>
>>67637228
Starting to feel like maybe the world left you behind?
>>
>>67635405

I still say he writes the best dialogue in the business, as embellished as it is sometimes. I could listen to him drone on about the film industry forever and in every single interview, one he gets started it's all ears even for the people doing the interview. If he did a hollywood oriented podcast by himself in the same vein as Hardcore History it'd be the best thing ever.
>>
>>67636133
>>67636188

wew lads
>>
>>67635258

Think of almost every good TV show. What do they all have in common?
>>
>>67639069
There aren't any jokes?
>>
>>67635263

That's actually a pretty positive review, but all the shill media will only repost the criticism.
>>
>>67639079
Name a good TV show that doesn't have a single joke in it. Protip: you can't.
>>
>>67639112
The Sopranos.
>>
>>67635030

No retard, they all have humor or at least moments of levity. I'll name a few. The Sopranos, the x files, breaking bad, the wire, Deadwood, star trek TNG, twin peaks.

Like the walking dead is shit, one of the reasons is it lacks this very element.
>>
>>67639146
That had tons of jokes in it, you retard. Try again.
>>
>>67639112
The office UK version
>>
>>67639184

But BvS had funny parts.

People are saying the movie is "humorless" because it's not punch/quip/punch/quip Marvel-tier, but there were funny parts.

Also, name the funniest joke in Batman Begins.
>>
>>67635030
>“beautiful visual stylist”
people actually believe this.
>>
>>67639198
So did Batman v Superman.
>>
>>67639198
>>
>>67639112
Mad Men or House of Cards don't really have jokes.
>>
>>67637484
didnt he also write green arrow?
>>
>>67635258
Even TDK had comic relief

> the Lamborghini then
> like a submarine
> trying to make the light
> black mailing a masked vigilante who beats criminals to a pulp
> I'm gunna tell them it wad all your idea
>>
>>67635562
>it was meant to e a loud, flashy, comfy popcorn film and that's what it was

I wish you DCucks would make up your mind, is it supposed to a smart movie about the human condition or just an action popcorn movie.
>>
>>67637903
What's this from?
>>
>>67639249

Take my coat homeless man, ten years later "nice coat." Almost all the scenes with lucious fox. Doesn't have to be really jokes, but there's obviously that feel you get that it's almost poking fun. Which BVS had none of. Also the two humor based lines were badly executed and inserted
>>
>>67639277
BvS had granny's peach tea and a single one liner.
>>
>>67636222
>tfw you remember you share a board with literal children
>>
>>67635030
He should respond with "Jay v Silent Bob"
>>
>>67639277
There are two or three jokes in the entire movie. Nolan's Batman movies had more humor.
>>
>This kuffar is insufficiently pious to our holy books! We must be more pious, more pure, only a true comic scholar can be allowed to make films!

Whenever a bad comic book movie comes out, the first thing to come up is how it wasn't close enough to the comics. That should be the last thing anyone says.
>>
>>67635030

I will never understand the hate Kevin receives here. The guy is certainly modest even turning down the chance to direct goodwill hunting saying they should get a good director instead.
>>
>>67639277
I THOUGH SHE WAS WIF U

[SHITTY MUSIC INTENSIFIES]
>>
>no mention of based alfred
>>
>>67635030

Don't you mean
>Kevin Smith has waddled into the debate
>>
>>67637331
> it doesn't have to be funny
>comic books
>comic

le grimdark realistic tones DCucks put into their films just make them laughable and straight fucking ridiculous, but again, DC comics has always been the joke of the industry (cheesy storylines, poor executed storylines, boring themes, insufferable characters, etc etc) and what's up with almost every super hero in the dc universe having a logo in their chest...
>>
>>67639492
That's one biased opinion.
>>
>>67637901
Geoff Johns has always been shit
>>
>>67635030

don't worry, hollywood babble-on was after his first view.... he saw it again and made a fatman on batman podcast where he definitely likes the movie (BUT...) and spends an hour+ telling you everything he liked in there.
>>
>>67635030
Imagine being a DCuck right now, and being so desperate to defend your shitty movie you have to come in to this thread and refute the opinions of fucking Kevin James of all people.
>>
>>67639828

HEY NOW!

DC comics movies = MYTHOLOGY, and NOT bubblegum! they transcend "SUPERHERO MOVIES" and etc
>>
>>67637484
He did finish the Spiderman one, it was just the worst thing ever made.
>>
>>67639860
He only penned the best JSA run of all times but sure, he has always sucked.
>>
Kevin Smith cried at the season finale of The Flash. Who gives a fuck what he says?
>>
File: get away your ugly face from me.png (332 KB, 643x480) Image search: [Google]
get away your ugly face from me.png
332 KB, 643x480
>>67639963
>Kevin Baul Plart Paulmart James
>>
Why are people saying there was no fun? There were several moments of comedic relief in the film, most of which came from Alfred, to balance Batman, and Perry, to balance Superman. They weren't spouting quips, but who wants that?
>>
>>67636133
>>67636188
WEW
E
W
>>
>>67640138
I cried too. Eobard was the best character, why did they have to erase him from history? ;_;
>>
Even a stopped clock is fat twice a day
>>
>>67640305
He's back now.
>>
>>67639531
No it shouldn't. If the adaptation doesn't have to be remotely related to source material, what is the fucking point of using the character at all? Just make a new character if you're going to eschew all inspiration. Taking a character with an established persona/history demands some loyalty to source material
>>
>>67640311
BECAUSE HE'S FAT!!!! I GET IT
>>
>>67639086
There was another video with sound only and he shits on the movie a lot
>>
Where is the proof that he and Ben had a falling out? You dipshits will believe literally anything if someone greentexts it enough times.
>>
>>67638751
Pretty sure Ben and Jen are getting divorced?
>>
>>67640519
>Taking a character with an established persona/history demands some loyalty to source material

No, it doesn't.
>>
>>67640577
http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/kevin-smith-jennifer-garner-ended-my-friendship-with-ben-affleck--2014307
>>
>it's a /tv/ sucks at reading comprehension episode
>>
>>67635030
>comic-book aficionado

kek
>>
>>67637331
No, see that's the sad part. The movie had moments where it tried to be funny. But it fucking wasn't. So i guess their no jokes policy is more of a no funny jokes policy.
>>
>>67640694

and the few (very few) bits where it approached funny were unintentional
>>
>>67635136
Jaffa calling
>>
>>67638580

just to see if he talks to him again
>>
>there was nothing funny going on whatsoever

Stopped reading right there. Holy fucking shit who let this retard have a job?
>>
>>67638749

barely true, he hasn't talked about current comics books in like a year
>>
File: 1438229009709.jpg (85 KB, 400x298) Image search: [Google]
1438229009709.jpg
85 KB, 400x298
>>67638576
is that a fucking talking raisin
>>
>>67638790
>That is how you critique a film with source material though.

being stupid as fuck
>>
>>67635258

there needs to be at least a little bit of humour in a movie about characters made for children who dress in spandex and capes
>>
This just in: Kevin Smith is eternally unhappy.
>>
>>67639249

''WHERE IS HE?????''
''here''
screams like a girl.

''Drunk rich man burn his house''
>>
>>67640606
sure, but then you get heaping piles of faggot shit like Zack Snyder's movies
>>
>>67640606
name *one* case where an adaptation didn't adhere to source material and was even remotely accepted
>>
File: 1446404264917.jpg (30 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
1446404264917.jpg
30 KB, 480x480
>>67635485

God I want to spit down her throat and ride her like a harley . Kevin would love to watch too.
>>
>>67641011

Blade
>>
>>67638072
>Smith appreciates a lot. A LOT. He basically finds the silver lining in every movie or tv show.

That story about him directing Bruce Willis really reinforces what you just said

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TD6xszSHWhQ
>>
>>67635258
Why did BvS have to be soulless and boring?
>>
>>67635030
I like pretty much all his movies, but his opinion are in general shit. Despite being right this time
>>
>>67635405
Capeshit =/= life

Have some Penaten for that posterior friend
>>
>>67638072
Fucking this
>>
>>67641132

I'll give you boring. But BvS had more soul than the entire Nolan trilogy.
>>
>>67639112
The Fall
>>
>>67640261
Those were quips, particularly in the case of Alfred.
>>
>>67640752
There were moments of ATTEMPTED humor, sure.
>>
>>67641204

lol, no.
>>
I'm starting to think no one on this board knows what a quip is. It's used so often it's lost all meaning.
>>
>>67641204
You're gonna have to explain what you think soul is, man. I genuinely can't comprehend how you can claim this.
>>
>>67641336

Uh wong toim ago, oi wos in Burmuh. Moi friends and oi were workin foh duh locawl gobament. Dey were troying to buy duh woyalty of troibel leaduhs by bribing dem with preshush stownes. Buh dere carabans were being rayded in a fohrest norf of Ragoon by uh bahdit. So, we went wooking for de stownes. But in six monfs, we nefer met anybody who traided wit'm. Won day, oi sawr a choild playin wit uh wooby duh soize of uh tangereen. duh bahdit had been trowing dem away.

Lol wat
>>
>>67641357
This. There were quips in BvS. Which makes me think "quips" just means "lines of attempted humor in movies I don't like".
>>
>>67641357
You mean like literally every other buzzword used here?
>>
>>67635030
>It’s almost like Zack Snyder didn’t read a bunch of comics, he read one comic once, and it was Dark Knight Returns, and his favourite part was the last part where Batman and Superman fight
I'm honestly surprised that Smith had the integrity to say something like this. It seems like all he ever does now is shill every """""nerdy""""" movie.
>>
>>67641004
Bladerunner
>>
>>67641405
>literally

There's that word again.
>>
>>67635950
Fuck the source material, faggot. We need fresh ideas.
>>
>>67636822
Fuck the comics! You sperg manchildren just wanna hear the same story over and over again. It's time for some new hotness and you bitches cant handle it.
>>
File: WUxlH8p.jpg (65 KB, 600x618) Image search: [Google]
WUxlH8p.jpg
65 KB, 600x618
>>67643162
>It's time for some new hotness
like a MtF catwoman?
>>
File: 139483627938.png (563 KB, 569x802) Image search: [Google]
139483627938.png
563 KB, 569x802
>>67636133
>>67636188

Dubs?
>>
>>67639564
He's a genuine good fat guy and not some mad asshole who punches people, so it's mandatory to hate him here
>>
>>67641011
Uber here, damn she looks good, wouldkidnap/10
>>
File: shkreli (1).gif (4 MB, 284x245) Image search: [Google]
shkreli (1).gif
4 MB, 284x245
>>67635343
>That's not how you critique a film.
It's a film about existing characters whose character traits have been public knowledge for decades. It's Batman versus Superman, not Rorschach in a Nite Owl costume versus Dr. Manhattan. He already made Watchmen, if he wanted to make BVS, it should have had B and S in it. That's an absolutely valid criticism. If Indiana Jones 5 comes out and he's an effeminate coward doing paperwork for 2 hours, it'd be a shitty movie.
>This is the same calibre of mouth-breathing shitbrainery that leads to people criticisng Braveheart for not being historically inaccurate.
Not really. Not that it's not also a valid criticism to say that a film isn't historically accurate. That's part the burden of trying to make a movie a movie based on a story and characters that are common knowledge. You don't HAVE to be accurate, but if you're not you'd better be bringing a lot to the table. Braveheart got away with being inaccurate because it was still a coherent, good movie. BVS doesn't get away with being inaccurate because the characters are being sabotaged AND the movie is an incoherent sack of dogshit.
>>
>>67643876
Wow you typed a whole lot of shit but you're still wrong. Appreciate the effort.
>>
>>67643876
>not muh superman
>wahhhhhhhhhhhh
>not muh superman
>not muh funny books

Autism?

It's a different fucking story, how the fuck can you 'sabotage' a character that's been told a million different ways in the last 80 years?
>>
>>67636067
Is it true that Joker gets buttfucked in jail in one of Kevin Smith's Batman stories?
>>
So how come DC movies get a lot of flack for not being exactly like the source but never seen that for Marvel when I've heard their movie characters aren't exactly close to the source either(though I remember a it of butthurt with the Mandarin)? Are DC fans more autistic?
>>
>>67644103
He offers to get butt fucked by a guy who helped him escape from prison or Arkham if I remember correctly
>>
>>67644515

I'm not a huge fan of Marvel films, but they definitely did a solid job of unifying the movie universe. Instead of complaining about the source material, I think most people wanted DC to do the same thing Marvel did. The source material doesn't matter at this point because Marvel pretty much makes these movies for people that don't even read comic books.

Did I get this right?
>>
>>67644090
>not muh superman
Not anybody's superman.
>how the fuck can you 'sabotage' a character that's been told a million different ways in the last 80 years?
Ask Zach. He managed to pull it off pretty effectively.

And the criticism isn't that he's just a "different" take on the character. It's that it's a retarded grimdark fedora version with nonsense motivation and /r/iamverysmart jesus imagery horseshit. Again, you can break the rules and do things differently, but if you do it better be fucking good. BVS is not that.

>>67643940
Maybe you'll learn more about film criticism when you get to high school.
>>
>>67635030
>There seems to be a fundamental lack of understanding of what those characters are about. It’s almost like Zack Snyder didn’t read a bunch of comics, he read one comic once, and it was Dark Knight Returns, and his favourite part was the last part where Batman and Superman fight. But … you get to do that in that book because you’ve got three books prior to that and 50 years at that point of comic-book history to build on.

Exactly. Snyder and DC both blew their load way too early. Batman vs Superman should be the ending of the cinematic.
"Batman vs Superman: The Dark Knight Returns" should be the final DC Cinematic Universe movie, not the first.
>>
>>67641004
Batman 89.
>>
>>67644515
Because Marvel flicks are parodies of the source material.
>>
>>67635263
>1:00:00

No
>>
Vote on the movie (BvS): http://strawpoll.me/7231273
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 27

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.