[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which is the best version of Watchmen? The theatrical cut The
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (274 KB, 691x1024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
274 KB, 691x1024
Which is the best version of Watchmen?

The theatrical cut
The directors cut
Or The ultimate cut
>>
Director's Cut
>>
None
Watchmen in all forms is pure plebeian trash lower than even videogames
>>
The original comic book and stop wasting time with Snyder's tripe.
>>
>>67611976
director's cut
>>
The theatrical cut

>any movie over three hours
>good
>>
>>67611976
Theatrical, by a huge margin.
>>
File: once-upon-a-time-in-america-10.jpg (1 MB, 1000x1426) Image search: [Google]
once-upon-a-time-in-america-10.jpg
1 MB, 1000x1426
>>67612053
Spoken like a true pleb if I've ever seen one
>>
>the ultimate cut

what in the actual fuck is this 'ultimate' cut?
>>
>>67611976
The comic book version

Hack Snyder's adaptation belongs in the trash
>>
File: 1328365522783.jpg (55 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
1328365522783.jpg
55 KB, 480x480
>>67612053
>>
>>67612120
The directors cut re edited to put in "tales of the black flag" cartoons throughout like it had in the comic

Makes it like half an hour longer though
>>
>>67612099
one of the most overrated films ever.

together with ...In The West it literally only gets as much acclaim because critics don't want to admit to obvious fact that TGTBATU is Leone's best film as it would make their opinions superfluous.
>>
>>67612120
It has Tales of the Black Freighter spliced into it
>>
>>67611976
theyre all shit m8
>>
>>67611976
Director's Cut. It's longer but it takes it time for everything.

The Ultimate Cut has the Black Freighter comic which I didn't like. Doesn't add much except for ill fitting symbolism.
>>
>roger ebert gave watchmen 4/4 stars

Is it kino?
>>
>>67612225
>overrated as criticism
>nothing to back it up
Into the trash it goes.
>>
The Director's Cut. I don't care how poetic the cartoon in the UC is, it makes the movie a total grind at that point. Don't touch the UC unless you're really really really fucked up on shrooms.
>>
>>67612320
The UC is seriously just for the pedantic comic fans who wanted it and wouldn't shut up About how important it is
>>
>>67612250
This.

The Back Freighter is a mind-fuck though. I'd recommend watching it if you really liked the director's cut.
>>
Director's cut I guess, but I'm not sure I want to re-watch it after BvS given how Snyder clearly does not understand the characters in his adaptations.
>>
I'm happy that Tales of the Black Freighter exists but it doesn't really add much to Watchmen it's just a great little stand alone story.
>>
>>67612367
>>67612378
Glad to see I'm not the only one who didn't like the black freighter.

I though it was a total mismatch with the story. Really had to think hard to force some sort of symbolic significance to it.
>>
>>67611976
If you have the junk-food mentality of "more is better" then watch the director's cut.

If you actually appreciate things like pacing and narrative focus, watch the theatrical cut.
>>
>>67612632
How does the directors cut lack pacing and narrative focus?
>>
>>67612777
It's 24 minutes longer dude. That might not sound like a lot, but it has a huge impact, especially when the added scenes are the worst ones. It both slows the pacing and lowers the tone of the film by filling it with sub-par material. None of the added material serves the central story at all, it could at best be described as "supplemental", but really it's just junk.
>>
>>67612931
http://watchmen.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_differences_between_Theatrical_Cut_and_Director's_Cut

I agree some scenes need trimming, but I wouldn't necessarily call the added scenes "junk".
>>
I haven't seen the Ultimate cut, but I like the Director's cut enough since I think it gets all the important stuff from the comic. The parts about the artists, scientists, and psychics and the fake space squids never made enough sense to me- like, after the various governments of the world kill them, what happens next?
The 'Dr. Manhattan kills millions' option makes more sense in context, both in the moment and as a long-term solution.

Also, would anyone care to explain the connection Curse of the Black Freighter has with the main story? I don't think I ever really got the parallels.
>>
>>67611976

The director's cut doesn't really add anything substantial. There's like a slow-mo lighter scene/flashback with Laurie. Then her beating up her security detail. It's fluff. That's what scares me about BvS director's cut.
>>
>>67613111
How is Dr Manhattan a credible threat for everyone to rally against when he is Invincible?

Atleast the alien squid died, so people would know it could be killed. Manhattan just fucks off because he's bored
>>
>>67611976

THEATRICAL

the more shit they cram, the worst it becomes. you could actually make 45 minutes masterpiece cut of the theatrical version
>>
>>67612053
What is Seven Samurai, then?
>>
>>67613626
He doesn't know

He watch nothing but capeshit
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.