[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Random ship powers phasers. Shields up!! Can someone tell me
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5
File: redalertStarTrekTMP.gif (19 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
redalertStarTrekTMP.gif
19 KB, 400x300
Random ship powers phasers.
Shields up!!

Can someone tell me why the fuck you would NOT have them up by default?
>>
It could be seen as hostile
>>
Doesn't all the space debris just make the enterprise filthy and you have to send data outside to clean the hull?

Just leave your shields up
>>
So to defeat any federation ship you just have to sneak attack?
>>
>>67573237
They actually have much weaker shields for that,think they are called navigational shields,still strong enough to stop any star wars ships lasers.
>>
>>67573598
I still don't understand the downside of travelling with shields up?
Also they must lower shields go beam people in and out right but when they fire phasers it goes out through the shields?
>>
Conservation of energy nigga. Presumably they do have shields constantly, but they strengthen and localize them when they know they're about to be attacked, maybe drawing power from auxillary functions that aren't a priority. Doesn't seem like a big deal faam.
>>
Do you think all girls swallow in the federation future?
>>
File: 1458750562113.jpg (110 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1458750562113.jpg
110 KB, 1920x1080
>>67573748
Can't warp with shields up,as far as "non-highway" travel,I don't know...
>>
Putting your shields up diverts energy from other sectors/systems. Do you want your warp drive to fail in nowhere space because your captain was too paranoid to lower the shields?
>>
>>67574442
Better paranoid than dead
>>
>>67573034
This has been said multiple times in a few different series
>>
>>67572862
Probably to save energy.

>>67573237
>Doesn't all the space debris just make the enterprise filthy and you have to send data outside to clean the hull?
Nah, the deflector prevents impact with small objects.
>>
>>67574334

It's a utopia, they probably deepthorat swallow and work the balls too.
>>
>>67574533
Space is hostile though.

As for the power drain imagine the advancements in power tech that would have been driven by this need to have the shields on all the time.
>>
>>67573292
>snek attack
>>
>>67573237
Before you send data outside, turn on his emotion chip,just so he feels very afraid and alone.
>>
Don't believe you can go to warp with shields up, but that's only because I've never seen it happen.

I would imagine that it's the same reason flank speed and full speed are two different settings: shit's inefficient and wears the machinery out.

Also, sneak attack when the enemy's shields are down can give you a decisive advantage but if you're facing a well-built ship it probably won't be a OHKO.
>>
Why was troi able to sense shit coming from planets but not all the dudes on deck 6 fapping to her.

Or some guy hacking the ship, or a spy
>>
>>67574725
Yeah but why do the shields need a command to be raised, wouldn't it be easier to set them to auto raise if the ship detects an incoming energy blast?

Picard is too late saying shields up they get blown the fuck up?
>>
>>67574759
She knew and probably like it. She even giggled at that one guy who thought of Ryker instead of her
>>
>>67572862
Usually they don't have the power to have the shields up ALL THE TIME, since they really only need them while in a dangerous situation. Especially for a large ship that isn't always in combat or navigating asteroid fields or something
>>
File: 1458867758005.jpg (203 KB, 1125x1125) Image search: [Google]
1458867758005.jpg
203 KB, 1125x1125
>>67572862
Save power

And if you mean shields, it's cuse you can't transport with shields up
>>
>>67574863
Captain's orders whether to fight or flee, don't want a sudden flow of energy to the shields to then need to be undone since you might go to warp

'Shields up" is also the universal sign of telling a hostile ship you're going to take them on if they try something. Same way that a snake hisses at people
>>
>>67574921
How come the phasers can penetrate the shields while firing out?
>>
>>67574980
Shields operated within a range of frequencies to allow certain specific types of energy and matter to pass through, or to increase the effectiveness of blocking them. The frequencies of shields were not usually discernible without examining the controls on board the ship deploying them, meaning that it was very difficult to tune weapons to the exact frequency of an opponent's shields to bypass them. (DS9: "The Jem'Hadar"; Star Trek Generations)

In combat situations, starships would match their own shield and weapon frequencies so their shielding did not interfere with their own weapons.
>>
>>67574863
>detect a weapon that travels at the speed of light as it comes towards you
I see no problem with this proposal.
>>
>>67577070
not as big a problem as
>shooting torpedoes while at warp
>>
>>67573748
Use your fucking head, you retard, Dude, there could be at least 10 obvious reasons why they dont have shields up

Saving Power
Sheilds may slow down speed of craft
Could be seen as hostile
The list goes on
>>
File: 1458639437749.png (564 KB, 813x628) Image search: [Google]
1458639437749.png
564 KB, 813x628
Why does nobody mention that Thomas Riker is actually an exact duplicate of Will Riker?
>>
>>67572862
Because shields interfere with a ton of other systems among communications, transport, and sensors. It's also potentially an unnecessary power drain.

Although I don't see why that would matter as Federation engineers in TNG era are all retards anyway. Hey I know let's use plasma to transmit power and data to simple interface panels so they can blow up in users' faces whenever there is a surge! Oh, also we gotta integrate the central command and control systems so heavily into everything across the ship that a superflous entertainment suite consisting of third-party programs can hijack the entire ship and cause catastrophic fail! Sounds good!

I do love the Galaxy Class, top tier aesthetics, comfy as fuck (thingsishouldntfindattractive.jpg), but when you look at it, especially for being designed from the ground up as the creme of the crop top-of-the line Federation ship of the era, the GCS are overengineered pieces of shit.
>>
File: poor Harry.jpg (76 KB, 1024x765) Image search: [Google]
poor Harry.jpg
76 KB, 1024x765
>>67578146
That's why Thomas didn't get a promotion.

Duplicates don't get promotions.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.