[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Will we ever see anything of this epic scope again? Even with
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 9
Will we ever see anything of this epic scope again?

Even with their giant casts, millions of dollars, and endless hype neither Star Wars nor any of the Marvel films comes close to the sheer epicness of the Lord of the Rings trilogy.
>>
>>67549980
we will see it again when it is remade.

Frodo will be trans
Gandalf will be openly gay
strider will be black
gimly will be a butch lezbos
elf guy will be a super effeminite boy girl.
>>
>>67549980
>tfw they couldn't get away with making this in 2016
>>
Not likely

They'll remake it eventually but I'm not sure how can you top LOTR in terms of impact/influence.
>>
>>67550055
>elf guy will be a super effeminite boy girl.
So nothing will change, then.
>>
>epicness

people walking around in new zealand

wow so epic
>>
What are you talking about, we just got the Hobbit trilogy which was more epic in every aspect
>>
File: images-21.jpg (17 KB, 497x296) Image search: [Google]
images-21.jpg
17 KB, 497x296
Leave swordkino to me
>>
>>67549980
while the execution obviously plays a huge role, i think this is largely due to the source material. middle earth has such a rich and fleshed out history and mythology, it's very easy to get immersed into it and suspend your disbelief and get the sense that there's really something at stake
>>
>>67549980
I watch these movies almost every month. THe are so /comfy/.
>>
>>67550186
>australians mad
>>
>>67549980
Probably not.

It's production was very 'old Hollywood'. It was the last of its kind.

There have been historical epics since, but nothing of that scale.
>>
>>67550242
Don't lump me in with that fuckstain.
>>
Maybe if they make a GoT "Roberts Rebellion" movie, but that will be just one film rather than a trilogy
>>
File: dsf.jpg (67 KB, 709x765) Image search: [Google]
dsf.jpg
67 KB, 709x765
>>67550200
>kids born today will actually think this
>>
>>67550302
'no'
>>
>>67550356
nope

while hobbit was also pretty good lotr is an entirely different beast the stakes are just exponentially higher

hobbit is like a nice desert
>>
>>67550487
Hobbit is a desert? From which continent?
>>
>>67549980
The difference between this and those shitflicks, and even the hobbit you mention is the motivation behind the creation: this was produced for the artistic value, in the end it was a triology to be remembered as the illiad of our age, big ticket sales and chuncky profits were not the bottom line, they knew those would follow in if they accomplished their objective.
>>
>>67550224
this, and Jackson knew he was making a masterpiece from the very beginning, and he treated the films as such
>>
File: little pleasures.jpg (50 KB, 550x605) Image search: [Google]
little pleasures.jpg
50 KB, 550x605
>>67550230
This.
>>
>>67550501
dessert* sorry anon
>>
>>67550200
You shut your whore mouth, the hobbit was a travesty to the LOTRverse. The best comparison I can draw is the original trilogy to S1 of true detective and the hobbit to S2 of true detective.

The fact that future generations will actually think that the Hobbit is the best of it all triggers me deeply.

>mfw they're thinking about covering the simarillion
>yet it will probably be turn into hobbit tier garbage and nothing near the original trilogy
>>
>>67550154

The LotR movies will stand the test of time, there will be no reason to remake it. It's one of those things nobody will tamper with.
>>
>>67550055
Seek help.
>>
>>67550742
True. It should be a law against remaking it ever.
>>
>>67550487
hobbit was fucking awful on all accounts

you just go ahead and kill yourself, your very existence is making my blood boil
>>
Guys, was Saruman inspired by Jews?

His name is close to typical Jewish names, such as Suliman. He was a backstabber, a liar, greedy.

Seeing as the only big group of bad humans, Haradrim, were shitskins and clearly inspired by Middle Easterners, this is plausible. Tolkien loved whites.
>>
>>67550742

Yeah but, the shekels. Think of the shekels.
>>
>>67550487
>hobbit is like a nice desert

devoid of life and with a constant light glowing over it that drives you mad?
>>
>>67551028
>"Oy Vey, Mr Jackson, we've been hearing rumours you plan to make the Hobbit in two parts and not three?"
"Yes, it's a short childrens book"
>"Oy Gevalt, what a holocaust, Mr Jackson, we are missing out on a third film worth of shekels here"
"It'll be hard to make the source material last two films, let alone 3"
>"A shoah, right here in my office, remember the 2 billion, Mr Jackson, we demand you make stuff up, invent new characters, show popular characters from Lord of the Rings, lots and lots of CGI"
"Yes, my chosen one"
>"One last thing you Goy animal, we hear the dragon has 4 legs... it only needs 2 to walk, many shekels will be saved"
>>
File: 1458487655350.jpg (19 KB, 413x395) Image search: [Google]
1458487655350.jpg
19 KB, 413x395
>>67549980
I'm nearly a thousand pages into the book, the ring has been destroyed and the story is nearly finished..what do I do now lads.

I know, i'll watch the films again when i'm done ;)
>>
Can we all agree that the Hobbit is what the prequels are to Star Wars fans, for LOTR. Meaning complete masterpieces revered deeply by their respective fanbases yet followed up by complete and utter shit.
>>
>>67551183
read the silmarillion; TLOTR is basically only the last five minutes of the entire history
>>
>>67550763
I don't need any help.
>>
File: angry wojak.png (29 KB, 633x758) Image search: [Google]
angry wojak.png
29 KB, 633x758
>>67550200
DELETE THIS
>>
>>67551204
This.

>>67551183
The Simarillion pretty much explains the entire universe and how it was made. I also enjoy occasionally going through the Tolkien Companion Guide. It's pretty much a dictionary explaining all the people and places in the LOTRverse and it goes into detail on major events in the LOTR history.

Then again I'm a hardcore LOTR fan boy so it may not interest you as much as it does me.
>>
>>67551087
kek'd
>>
>>67550991
The Dwarves were more like Jews. Or the medieval stereotype of them at any rate. An alien people who have been cast out of their home and who work as smiths or with money, that never really assimilate but keep their culture a secret.

Tolkien himself said so.

>"The dwarves of course are quite obviously - wouldn't you say that in many ways they remind you of the Jews? Their words are Semitic obviously, constructed to be Semitic.
>>
File: The_Children_of_Hurin_cover.jpg (31 KB, 338x500) Image search: [Google]
The_Children_of_Hurin_cover.jpg
31 KB, 338x500
>>67551296
The Children of Hurin is a pretty underrated book too. Depressing as fuck, but still pretty damn good. If you like greek tragedies or the like, you're gonna love it.

A movie of it could probably be pretty great if Hollywood stopped trying to milk the cow all the time.
>>
>>67551413
Can't believe I forgot about that one, it's probably one of my favorite stories out of the entire universe. I really would like to see them do a movie on the return of the Noldor and the subsequent destruction. Sure it would span hundreds of years but I feel like it has the closest shot at matching the scale and grandiose of the original trilogy.
>>
>>67551204
>>67551296

Oh god, looks like i'm buying the Simarillion then.

Which version would you guys recommend?, is it actually one book or multiple in one like my version of lord of the rings?
>>
>>67549980
>Will we ever see anything of this epic scope again?

lol never. "black lives matter!11 xd" "women matter!1 xd" "omg lgbt matter xd"
>>
>>67551659
It's just one book.
>>
File: Hobbit-Crowd-1.jpg (40 KB, 600x310) Image search: [Google]
Hobbit-Crowd-1.jpg
40 KB, 600x310
>>67551755
Never forget
>>
When they decide to make dune properly
>>
>>67551760
This version should be fine?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silmarillion-J-R-Tolkien/dp/000752322X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1459170856&sr=8-1&keywords=the+silmarillion
>>
>>67551935
Yeah
>>
>>67551789
The fact that those few seconds bothered you wretches so much is really quite pathetic.
>>
>>67549980
>millions of dollars
This movie was made for 93 million.
There are movies made today that are 4 times as much.
>>
>>67549980
Star Wars new trilogy, Mad Max new trilogy, Avatar eventual trilogy. Also a Dune movie (trilogy) or a Dark Tower trilogy.
>>
File: illa....jpg (15 KB, 226x221) Image search: [Google]
illa....jpg
15 KB, 226x221
>>67552126

>Make 3 movies without SJW shit
>2016 happens
>Every fantasy universe must now have atleast 2 black women

It's fucking sad and bothering.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.