[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Times where actors/actresses acted completely and utterly
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 8
ITT: Times where actors/actresses acted completely and utterly unprofessional
>>
>>67405311
what a faggot
>>
>>67405311
Everytime i see this story on reddit i just can't believe it. It doesn't sound true, it just sound like a way to bash greenscreen, cgi, etc.
Acting is all about lying in the first place. If you want to have a real party with 15 people just invite them to your home. Why would a guy like him say that
>>
>>67405416
because hes likes the cock
>>
>>67405311
I'm like 90% sure this is an outright lie
>>
What a moron
>>
Harvey Keitel cuming on Nicole Kidman's hair in the set of Eyes Wide Shut.
>>
>>67405416

Acting is about interacting and reacting. No actor aims to be on stage alone, even the most egotistical star actor needs supporting actors to bounce off. Also, let's be honest, this is a man who made a conscious decision in middle age to sell out. Before the mid-nineties few but theatregoers had ever heard of him. By the time of The Hobbit, which was the creatively bankrupt cashgrab to end all creatively bankrupt cashgrabs, he'd made his bundle, it's not surprising the meaninglessness palled on him.
>>
>>67405655
>No actor aims to be on stage alone

What is a soliloquy?
>>
>>67405311
this sounds so hard like projecting.
>>
>>67405655
>No actor aims to be on stage alone
Yeah, bullshit. I've seen amazing performances with just one person.
>>
>>67405311
Don't theater actors do shit like that all the time?
>>
>>67406548
yes, only in front of a live audience while not pretending to talk to someone who isn't there.
>>
>>67406548
Yeah, but instead of a bunch of camera/sound guys just recording you watch you talk into thin air, you have an audience listening and paying attention to you're performance.
>>
>>67406438
That's a good point. Especially since Ian McKellan is one of the most renowned Shakespearean actors around. I've actually seen a lecture on YouTube where he coaches a soliloquy.

Then again, this script is not Shakespeare. Bad scripts wear on you. I know that from experience.
>>
>>67406548
Its more difficult when youre just in a room with pictures of actors faces and a camera
>>
>>67406631

so what? TV was a mistake?
>>
>>67406438
>Implying soliloquy is in any way similar to literally pretending to be talking to an actor that isn't even present.
>>
>>67405311
>76 years old
>cries because technology is changing his profession
holy fuck, just retire if it upsets you this much
not to mention the guy has some nerve bitching to a director that fed him millions upon millions of dollars to play a wizard
also, didn't Jackson not have a choice over this? The 3d lighting was making people in heavy makeup costume pass out or something, and the studio obviously wasnt going to pass up a 3d opportunity because some old faggot has feelings
>>
>>67406438
Couldn't soliloquy be classified as interacting with the audience?
>>
>>67406736
It is interacting with audience and it's also the thoughts of the character at the moment. He's supposed to be confiding in the audience without actually knowing they are present (to a degree), similar to the way he thinks to himself.
>>
File: 162_2_screenshot.png (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
162_2_screenshot.png
1 MB, 1280x720
>All these people calling Sir Ian Mckellen a pussy are the same people that shitposted over /tv/ about how bad The Hobbit is

CGI is literally the worst thing to happen to film
>>
>>67405416
Acting was never about CGI green screen bullshit.

There's a reason prequels 2 and 3 sucked, because the actors have fuck all to act towards, and react too.

>>67406540
>>67406438
They generally aren't pretending to interact with people in a deep and meaningful way, and they (the script) are designed for the actor to be alone (ie you can gather all the information other imaginary characters might be saying from the solo actor

This isn't the same. It's a scene that requires other actors to be complete.

That said, breaking down crying is a little melodramatic. He's getting paid millions to act like a reserved wizard, it not exactly a demanding part when it comes to acting.
>>
>>67407043
The hobbit didnt suck because of CGI
It didnt help anything, but it was pretty reasonable why they used it and the problem was how dragged out the movie trilogy was.
>>
File: IanMckFace.jpg (20 KB, 496x352) Image search: [Google]
IanMckFace.jpg
20 KB, 496x352
>>67405311
>>
>Sir Ian Mckellen
when will this meme end
>>
>>67405311
I can only imagine being Sir Ian sitting there.
Being dragged to save a franchise brand cashgrab and not a work of love.

Being alone in a room after 10 years working with a growing family of said franchise, only able to seeing Peter and sometimes Andy.

Being in a green screen talking to a sticker in a pole, because this crew are all new cable boys that are in for the quick buck, that would never stood there instead and push the actor to his best and learn something in the meantime.

I know in my heart, that in the first Rivendell scene with the dwarfs, the hug Ian and Hugo Weaving had was a hell of a lot warmer for Hugo.
>>
>>67407093
The Hobbit overused CGI to the point of pointlessness. Long, drawn out, overused battles and sequences that felt like they lasted longer than the length of a normal movie. Honestly, it looked like watching one giant cut scene for a video game.
>>
>>67407043

I always felt that There and Back Again was meant to be more comfy than it was epic.
>>
wow /tv/ is really this unsympathetic?

i'm actually legitimately bummed out
you guys should be above this wierd herd mentality
>>
>>67407043
Using a green screen isn't CGI, try again faggot.
>>
>>67407336

We were bummed out originally when it first happened but after so much time it's become annoying enough to enjoy having a problem with.

Suffering x time = comedy, right?
>>
>>67407093
>>67407189
you guys have no idea how much CGI was used in LOTR. Watch the 6 appendices sometime. There is a blue screen on every set, and most of them are made out of styrafoam. those movies were made in post, you just didn't see it because it was so good

>>67407395
shut up you don't know what you're talking about
>>
>>67407336
hey there reddit
>>
>>67407336
It's really hard to be sympathetic for a guy crying being paid millions of dollars to pretend to be a wizard, alone or not.
>>
>>67405311
He broke down and cried because he's a literal homosexual bitch ass pussy faggot.
He takes it up the ass 6 days of the week.
Imagine being the guy who fucks 'sir' Ian McKellan up the ass. That's a fun afternoon, isn't it?
>>
>>67407336
How do you propose they do the scene and maintain gandalfs scale?
>>
>>67407469
>someone with more money than me is not allowed to cy

I want the emotionally entitled poor people to go and stay go
>>
>>67407469
have you considered that money isn't everything in life? That once you have a million dollars in the bank two million dollars doesn't change much?

>>67407496
they used to do these things in lotr through practical effects

giant costumed people (you wear stilts and stuff to seem bigger), uneven tables, face-masks and prosthetics
>>
>>67405416
>Acting is all about lying
>said someone who knows nothing about acting

Acting is about constructing a world, an identity and imagery. Acting demands back and forth interactions with other colleagues. It's a much more complex art than just lying and pretending
>>
>>67407496
if you are going to fucking erase the whole fucking room but Ian and the table, why not having the actual fucking actors be there, even out of costume?
>>
>>67407583
>they used to do these things in lotr through practical effects
>giant costumed people
Used for background characters

>uneven tables
This works for interactions between 2-3 people tops. They never did forced perspective with huge groups.

>face-masks and prosthetics
I don't see how this one helps.

He's one character out of 14 that needs to be twice the size of everyone else. For all the shit the hobbit movie get, this shouldn't be one.
>>
>>67407068
>it not exactly a demanding part
You sit in an empty room for hours on end day after day. Companies do that shit to get people to quit. Its not fun, and you stop giving a shit about the money after so long.
>>
>>67407696
no for this particular scene I agree editing them in is the most practical solution with todays technology, sure
>>
For a board about movies, you guys are weirdly antagonistic towards actual people who make those movies.
>>
>>67407484
>he doesn't take it upersonally the assignment 6 days a week
Get a load of this fag
>>
>>67407823
>he doesn't take it upersonally the assignment 6 days a week
fucking mobile posters
>>
>>67407583
>they used to do these things in lotr through practical effects
Forced perspective doesn't work when filmed in 3D.
>>
File: Homestar_twitter_icon_689.png (25 KB, 310x310) Image search: [Google]
Homestar_twitter_icon_689.png
25 KB, 310x310
>>67407583

>tfw dad has 3 million and still experiences grief over my dead brother
>>
>>67407698
Gunpei Yoko staged his own death because of this
>>
>>67407949
he's faking

he's happy as fuck everytime you leave the room
>>
>>67407949
The wrong one died.
>>
>>67407794
It's a shit sob-story about a thing that probably didn't happen this way.
If it did happen then it's probably because he thought the movie would have the same soul has the LotR serie has, instead he got to play a wizard in a prequel level movie
>>
>>67405311
He's right, but it goes for everything, it just keeps getting shittier and shittier
>>
>>67408024
>>67408009

You are literally describing everything I already knew since it first happened
>>
>>67407696
i think it could have been done the old way, but not if you want the movie to be 3d
>>
>>67407336
Kys
>>
File: bigguy.jpg (5 KB, 315x160) Image search: [Google]
bigguy.jpg
5 KB, 315x160
>>67408076
anon, i...i'm sure he doesn't feel that way. i'm sure you're a good guy that he loves
>>
>>67408076
Your father loves you, anon. He will remember it, before the end.
>>
>>67408206
Does it really matter? Did you look at that scene and notice gandalf wasn't actually there? At best, you mimick the effect practically so an old gay man doesn't cry. Bitch about the horrible cartoony cgi used elsewhere, not an effect used correctly.
>>
>>67405416
He's actually a very accomplished stage actor
>>
>>67408321
>>67408362

Thank you, friends.

It's really not all that bad. I just can't prove anything.
>>
>>67408362
*maybe
>>
>>67405311
Shit's fake as fuck. He's not "breaking down." He's putting his head down for a second. Probably been sitting in that empty green room doing lines for the better part of 10 hours.
>>
>>67409839

The account is true, McKellen told the press this himself.
>>
>>
As untrue as the story sounds, I can still see potential frustrations arising for any of the actors and crew that transitioned from LOTR to the Hobbit.

The behind the scenes of LOTR makes it look like the cast were on vacation or something. Because the movie had 10 years of pre-planning they were way ahead of schedule so all the little finer points of the films could be worked on and the actors were allowed to have a lot more fun together, getting to know one another and overall improve their on-screen relationship when in-character.

It doesn't seem like the Hobbit had any of that. Everyone seems so rushed behind-the-scenes and nobody really looks like they know what they're doing.
>>
>>67405575
As if you wouldn't...
>>
>>67406701
pretending to talk on the phone is an acting exercise actually
>>
>>67405533

this photo is no doubt not related, but this happened. it was widely reported at the time in the normal press
>>
>>67408024
kekd
>>
>>67405655
>Before the mid-nineties few but theatregoers had ever heard of him. By the time of The Hobbit, which was the creatively bankrupt cashgrab to end all creatively bankrupt cashgrabs, he'd made his bundle,

Mate, that's a 20 year career are you a fucking idiot?

Richard III was selling out? Gods & Monsters? Guy was famous before he ever became Magneto/Gandalf among people who actually give a shit about good cinema
>>
>>67406438
>What is a soliloquy?

The best soliloquy in stage history is not delivered with the actor on stage alone.

But what did Shakespeare know amirite?
>>
I magine Ian Mckellen had great fun filmin LOTR and hold affection for his Gandalf character. I assume he was really hyped and happy to portray him again.
Then the filming started and he realized it wasn't going to be the same way, and that all the friends he made in the process of filming LOTR weren't there with him and that he had to do most scenes alone in a green screen.
I don't think the money is a great compensation since he already banked it with the first trilogy, I really believe he went in The Hobbit mostly to be Gandalf once more.
I do feel bad for him
>>
File: image.jpg (83 KB, 606x454) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
83 KB, 606x454
Can you faggots stop with the drama as if acting is even a real job? You get paid thousands or even millions to just play pretend. Get over it and stop giving them sympathy, all of you.

I can't help but chuckle every time one of them say "my work"
>>
>>67410875

Oh my gud, he gets laid that night, he is a withe knight.
>>
>>67411714
which is what
>>
File: 1413915501112.jpg (526 KB, 772x1700) Image search: [Google]
1413915501112.jpg
526 KB, 772x1700
>>67405311
>>
>>67412007

he's so fucking based it's unreal

if any of you have sirius you should listen to his interview with stern on the app/website

he talks about how he would do shitty movies just to make money, and thinking that doing shitty movies will hurt your career just means you're not good enough to look good in a challenging movie
>>
>>67407155
When the Royal family stop giving out accolades to celebs to remind the country that they exist
>>
>>67407155
W-what meme?
Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.