[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do american critics use the words "fun", "joy",
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 8
File: bvsfun.jpg (240 KB, 749x951) Image search: [Google]
bvsfun.jpg
240 KB, 749x951
Why do american critics use the words "fun", "joy", "humor", "feeling good" so much whenever they're talking about their movie-going experiences? Also, why do they always try to write puns and funny lines related to the movie names when summing up their opinions about them? Is it a cultural thing?
>>
>>67398479
What words are they suppose to use?

dumb thread
>>
>>67398479
Why are non americans so obsessed with us? Mind your own business.
>>
File: IMG_1269.jpg (674 KB, 1100x746) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1269.jpg
674 KB, 1100x746
>it's a super serious film for adults
>now eat your Superman and Batman breakfast cereal
>>
>>67398561

They're characters for all ages. The movies are currently for teenagers and up, but products can be for the old fans or newer ones. Not a hard concept to grasp.
>>
>>67398531

Maybe words that don't make them sound like elementary school children?
>>
>>67398531
Maybe words that have depth of character? Beyond the mere triviality of "having a good time", which can be described for relatively any movie, even movies you know are bad but still enjoy.
>>
>>67398561
Hey, remember how they targeted that really fun and silly The Mask movie at children and families, when it was based on this?

Yea, your argument isn't a strawman at all.

:^)
>>
>>67399605
>that guy that watches tgwtg
>he's a tripfag
>>
>>67399682
I've known about The Mask comic for years, what the fuck are you talking about. I got this image from google images.
>>
>The Force Awakens comes out
>thought it was shit
>check out some reviews
>90%+ of them are positive
>at least 40% of those included the line "The Force is strong with this one" in the article

Film critics are fucking plebs
>>
>>67399682
>literally just found out about The Mask comic yesterday from TGWTG
>A comic from almost 30 years ago

/tv/fags everyone!
>>
>>67399875
>>67399790
>so butthurt you got caught you have to drop the trip and samefag

don't respond to me again, retard. Take your loss and move along.
>>
>>67398479
what's so confusing about people wanting to be entertained by entertainment?
>>
>>67398479
Popcorn movies are expected to be fun.
>>
>>67400005
>>67399952

I turn my brain off in all superhero movies and I love them, specially Ant-man.
>>
>>67399952
entertainment doesn't always mean "lighthearted happiness"
>>
File: hydedeath[1].jpg (52 KB, 466x472) Image search: [Google]
hydedeath[1].jpg
52 KB, 466x472
>>67399906
>got caught
>he literally watches TGWTG and calls out someone else for watching it

I actually don't watch TGWTG and un-subscribed about 3 years ago.

Truly a kekarino moment.

I could've picked multiple other comics, like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, early Batman, SPAWN.

In fact, I could also use League of Extraordinary Gentleman, where Dr. Jekyl RAPES the Invisible Man to death.

All targeted at children.

:^)

Feel free to try again.
>>
>>67399906
>>67400158
Oh, yea, and one more thing 'Don't respond to me again, retard'.
>>
its a blackmail thing
>>
File: zing.jpg (55 KB, 440x460) Image search: [Google]
zing.jpg
55 KB, 440x460
>>67399875
>>67400158
>>67400184
nice damage control, tripfag
>>
>>67400047
yes it does. that is indeed the very definition of entertainment.
>>
Why are you complaining you tasteless fucking entry level pleb?

People like you have been spouting this shit to defend your favorite pleb movies here for years now
>>
>>67400225
>D-D-Damage control

I concur, a much better strategy than admitting you've been BTFO.
>>
RT tries to find a common theme for the review blurbs. You could try actually reading them for a more complete and nuanced opinion.
>>
>>67398479

Because when you create something for public consumption, you have to keep in mind your audience. So you write in a way that people will understand and relate to. These are movie critics kicking out a couple pages on a flick, not novelists trying to create the next big thing or convey some deep meaning in modern existence.

Snyder's flick is neither mature enough to be taken seriously nor light enough to be fun. It's in an awkward middle ground exactly equal to adolescence where it is hated by everyone around it for being an awkward, gangly mess.

It's a shit movie, senpai, but that doesn't mean you can't enjoy it yourself.
>>
>>67400228
so you cant be entertained by saving private ryan
>>
File: 1455856060007[1].gif (2 MB, 369x266) Image search: [Google]
1455856060007[1].gif
2 MB, 369x266
>>67399906
>he thinks all anons are the same
>>
>net experience

haha oh wow
>>
>>67400228
Then how come I find the dark, grueling, macabre of horror movies entertaining and action movies like Die Hard completely entertaining? Are you admitting to being a manchild?
>>
>>67400325
I mean, that beach opening was pretty amusing
>>
>>67400312

If you enjoy it, it's not a shitty movie.
>>
>>67400325

Saving Private Ryan was a fun movie.
>>
>>67400368
I enjoyed the movie DOOM, though I don't doubt for one moment that it's not a shitty movie.
>>
>>67400409
but it is certainly not lighthearted, save for tom hanks contractually obligated urination fetish scene
>>
>>67400278
>no u
go back to watching TGWTG you rancid swine
>>
>>67400476
>TGWTG

Lol, you're the one who brought him up. Maybe you should go watch some more Linkara and not be so booty blasted, Kickassia fan ;)
>>
>>67400443

How can you enjoy shit?
>>
>>67399831
this
>>
>>67400444

It was lighthearted, the enemies were defeated in the end and American won the war.
>>
>>67400036
Capeshit is not to be taken seriously.
>>
>>67400510
Same way people can enjoy the Avengers. "It's fun :D"
>>
>>67400500
>no u
but you got caught
>>
>>67400624
>but you got caught

Posting a panel from a comic? I guess I did. Guilty!
>>
>>67400510
By being a pleb/teenager.
>>
>>67400361
because you have no idea what the word "entertain" means.
>>
>>67399605

I don't think you understand how awkward of a 2 way street that is at all.

The Mask was a little known property licensed in the 90s weird little comic boom that had light elements that could be adapted to the screen.

Spawn was dark and edgy in film to match the tone of the comics. It was shit, but it was a pretty good adaptation of not Spawn exactly but over-the-top 90s comics in general.

The problem with these current DC films is that they're adapting Superman to Batman's tone, and it doesn't work very well. Dark/gritty Superman shit isn't very good. Even Red Son, Superman wasn't dark, just had different principles which, in the end, we cast aside for a convenient resolution and for Superman to show morals consistent with what had always been shown.

MoS and BvS are essentially about the folly of hope and the deconstruction of heroes. Christ, the Flash dream sequence essentially teases a world of Superman gone bad. This movie is making Superman a Christ figure both literally and metaphorically, sacrificing his character so that the DCCU could live, but so far it seems like folks aren't buying that sacrifice.

I get wanting to defend this flick because people were anticipating it so much, but from my perspective it just wasn't very good and I think people are focusing too much on the words that critics are using in tag lines rather than the overall argument, which is that this movie's overall tone is all the fuck over the place and mostly inappropriate and that it is not a pleasurable film going experience.
>>
>>67400666
>satan trips
>skellington
2spooky4me
>>
Movies, for a long time in American history, were about going out and having a good time with your family. Especially when it came to genre pictures. That mentality still hasn't left the minds of a lot of critics.
>>
>>67400750

>which is that this movie's overall tone is all the fuck over the place

What was all over the place? If there's something that I would expect to hear as criticism is that it's MONOtone, since it's basically a serious movie, with barely any levity to it.

I loved it, by the way, but I'm just curious about that statement of yours.
>>
>>67400743
>YOU ENJOY THINGS THAT IM AN AUTISTIC MANCHILD ABOUT, YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT ENJOYMENT MEANS!

Lol, wow there, okay kid.

>>67400750
>The Mask was a little known property licensed in the 90s weird little comic boom that had light elements that could be adapted to the screen.

The light elements played on the concept of cartoon logic applying to the real world, and the violence/carnage that would ensue, plus some other nuances that made it a unique and interesting comic.

Spawn, again, was not a comic for the targeted demographic that the movie was after. Spawn was a comic for young adults.

Ignoring the fact that executives will take original source material from things and make it kid friendly to appeal to a wider audience, even if it's in contrast to the content that's actually displayed, doesn't change the fact that that is what they do.

>I get wanting to defend this flick because people were anticipating it so much

Actually I wasn't. I completely forgot about it and that it released this week. I'm just tired of fedora's using strawmen to defend their retarded beliefs.
>>
>>67398561
Anyone here tried these
>>
>>67398479
> american critics
The spanish language critics mentioned that it was joyless too. And quit trying to pretend like you Eurofags don't eat up dumb "fun" American movies like it's your purpose.
>>
>>67401105
Spawn was for teenagers, especially the first several dozen issues
>>
>>67401869
>b-b-but europe >:'(

lmao, like clockwork.
>>
>>67401719
Yeah, Superman was actually pretty tasty on its own.
Didn't try Batman though.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.