[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Remember when Stephen King was so assmad at Kubrick for "ruining
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: stephen king shining.jpg (439 KB, 1000x1420) Image search: [Google]
stephen king shining.jpg
439 KB, 1000x1420
Remember when Stephen King was so assmad at Kubrick for "ruining his book" that he did a shitty TV movie?
>>
I only wish Kubrick could have "ruined" Salem's Lot as well. Would've been something. Oh well, the Tobe Hooper version ain't so bad.

But yeah the TV Shining is pretty bad desu
>>
should have done it with IT.

make a TV-series that has EVERYTHING!

Yes that includes the pre-teen gangbang.
>>
>>67357433
don't forget the frotting in the junkyard
>>
Kubricks shining is shit though.
>>
it was pretty shitty though

dark towers when?
>>
>>67356335

11/22/63 on Hulu is loads better than King's book, so much so that i'm convicned Stephen King is the huge exception to the "book is always better" saying.
>>
>>67357833
The /tv/ contrarian strikes again.
>>
File: 1455588456788.jpg (69 KB, 433x352) Image search: [Google]
1455588456788.jpg
69 KB, 433x352
Steven Weber's teetering on the edge alcoholic was far better than Jack's insane mugging for the camera. Nicholson's ready made insane character takes me out of the amazing atmosphere of the original every time.
>>
>>67356335
That zombie lady in the bathtub made me lose my sleep for a week when i was a little guy.
>>
Kubrick's Shining is great but it's really the most basic story outline of the book.
>>
>>67359286
That's not a bad thing.

One thing I wish Kubrick had kept was the slow and relentless onslaught of creepy supernatural shit happening instead of all of it happening at once but hey, it worked.
>>
>>67358418
King's book is about a normal man being driven to madness, whereas that madness is evident from the beginning in Kubrick's film. It's intentional and a more realistic approach.
>>
>>67359339
It's not a bad thing but it's easy to see why King would be butthurt. The movie is an icon of films and the book is just the book it was based on.
>>
>>67359418
The book is considered a classic of the genre as well, you warm black dingus
>>
>>67359418
King really had no reason to be butthurt. It's a given that movies change stuff, the basic elements essentially remained the same and quite frankly Kubrick improved a lot of things (we were spared the stupid hedge animals, for instance). Taking things too literally from a book can weaken a movie.

Also movie Wendy>book Wendy.
>>
>>67356335
Funny how the poster for King's version looks older and more dated than Kubrick's.
>>
>>67359484
Movie Wendy was a screaming shrew
>>
>>67359403
>It's intentional and a more realistic approach.
That is a good point. I just wish he had dialed it down just a few notches. I love the book and Kubrick's film. I just wish Jack was a little less over the top.
>>
What is "The Stand" TV miniseries like?

That's one book I could not make it through. Fucking Steven King.
>>
>>67359536
Book Wendy was just a bitch and completely useless. Movie Wendy at least got shit done on her own.
>>
dat rebecca demornay tho
>>
>>67359560
Kill yourself, the stand is some of his best work, and the miniseries is good if you have six hours to burn and a lot of pot
>>
File: gydwcljffzxqdgiwrpke.jpg (28 KB, 540x540) Image search: [Google]
gydwcljffzxqdgiwrpke.jpg
28 KB, 540x540
>>67359560
Well if you haven't read the book it shouldn't a be a problem for you. Some of the casting was .... interesting. It's a pretty straight forward telling of the story. Though, you will be disappointed by the ending. Book or show are both awful.At least with the book you can imagine something spectacular happening. Oh lordy... the mini-series... wew lad
>>
>>67359545
His over the top performance is intentional as well, not to mention hilarious. The off the wall dramatics reflect his monstrous narcissism, his need to play the victim and deflect the reality of the abuse he's inflicted.
>>
>>67359765
Well, I was reading the "unabridged" Stand. It really did feel drawn-out - and I'm not one to knock a book just because it's long.

Did you read the original (abridged) or the unabridged versions?
>>
>>67359793
I only made it through about 75% of the unabridged book, and it was a very long time ago, so I probably wouldn't be affected by differences between the series and the book.
>>
>>67356335
Remember how Kubrick was nominated for worst director and people continued to take the Academy seriously?
>>
>>67360019
Wasn't basically every film Kubrick made panned on release?
>>
>>67359875
>>67359936
Any way I could get the abridged version in an electronic format? I tried and I tried and didn't find shit.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.