[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How come this movie flopped but Mad Max: Fury Road did great?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 205
Thread images: 30
File: dredd.jpg (7 KB, 171x253) Image search: [Google]
dredd.jpg
7 KB, 171x253
How come this movie flopped but Mad Max: Fury Road did great?

Both are old school-action movies set in a post-apocalyptic world, and I'd say that Dredd is even better than MM in certain aspects. Yet it bombed.

>tfw we'll never get Dredd 2: Cursed Earth
>>
advertising
>>
I don't remember it being marketed that well.
>>
>>67320251
Mad Max is a well known character with two great movies.
Judge Dredd is literally who with a shitty movie starring Stallone.
>>
Marketing
>>
Because it came out at the wrong time. If it came out today it would be a different story.
>>
>>67320251
Mad Max trilogy
>cult classic
Dredd
>people immediately think of Versace designed costume Stallone shouting incomprehensibly
>>
>>67320251

Eh, I loved Dredd but MM was better.

Suffered with the advertising. Not enough of it, and putting 3D in the title just made it seem like cheap shit just with a 3D gimmick.

Think Taken 2 came out soon after and did way better.
>>
>>67320251
Advertising, nigga. Where a film lives and dies.

Dredd got that shitty title (Dredd 3D? Fucking seriously?) and like one trailer (which was also shit).

Mad Max had this:
http://youtu.be/YWNWi-ZWL3c
>>
>>67320302
>>67320322
>>67320372
It had plenty of marketing

You faggots just weren't paying attention.
>>
>>67320358
This and a lack of marketing.
Also, no famous director and actors in it.
>>
>How come this movie flopped but Mad Max: Fury Road did great?
Better market value. Mad Max is a cult classic with lots of fans. Dredd is a shitty 90s movie with Stallone. Besides, I barely saw any commercials for Dredd on TV, Fury Road had tons.

>even better than MM in certain aspects
Bahaha.
>>
>>67320475
Personally I'd say it was better in many aspects. Tighter story for one.
>>
The movie wasn't on my radar. I had no idea Judge Dredd was supposed to be cool as I only knew of the Stallone movie.

A phenomenal trailer wouldve made this movie a huge hit.
>>
>>67320251
because it was called "Dredd 3D" like some retarded gimmicky horror-flick.

I expected nothing when i heard of this film the first time and only after reading some reviews i gave it a chance.
>>
>>67320251
>Dredd is even better than MM in certain aspects
More like in every aspect. Fury Road is a good movie, but not even the best Mad Max film or even close to the awesomeness that is Dredd.
>>
MMFR is one of the greatest action films ever.
Top 5 at least.
Dredd was at best top 40 of its own year.

So there's that
>>
>>67320251
Agreed being better than MM.

I'd put it in the same category as Pacific Rim and (don't hate me) Battleship. Expected fuck all going into it and then enjoyed them all loads.
>>
>>67320251
I'm not sure what kind of marketing it had, but neither myself nor anyone I know had even heard of it until it was out on home video. That speaks volumes
>>
File: 1455076749503.gif (663 KB, 480x324) Image search: [Google]
1455076749503.gif
663 KB, 480x324
>>67320829
>MMFR is one of the greatest action films ever. Top 5 at least.
>>
>>67320644
A lot of shit just doesn't do well that can be entirely blamed on shitty advertising
John Carter failed almost entirely because of advertising which was otherwise a decent movie
>>
>Terrible marketing
>Shitty name
>The last time anyone heard about a ''Dredd movie'' it was that horrible Stallone movie. ''I AM DU LAW!''
>Only british neckbeards know about the character.

Gee I really wonder why it didn't do well.
>>
Fury Road was a flop too
>>
File: 1457240463310.gif (20 KB, 633x758) Image search: [Google]
1457240463310.gif
20 KB, 633x758
>no Dredd 2
don't remind me
>>
>>67321498
You're taking the meme life too seriously
>>
>>67320251
Because it was something worth watching along the same lines as the original RoboCop.
>>
>>67320829
Solid bait. 7/10
>>
>>67320429
hahaha "plenty" of marketing is not good marketing

the ads were awkward and did not sell the movie well, not for me and i like these kind of movies
>>
>>67321672
>A general opinion is bait
>>
>>67321752
>[Title] is one of the greatest [Category] films ever. Top 5 at least.
This statement is retarded when you present it as a fact. It's also almost never a general opinion.
>>
>>67320251
>No marketing.
>No big stars.
>No viral campaigns.
>Came out at the wrong time of the year.
>Mad Max is a cult classic, Dredd fan base is mostly comic book fans.
>Limited scope, budget and set pieces, much more low key compared to the bombastic stuff in Mad Max.
>More niche.

The film was fun. Dredd in The Raid. I would have loved to see a sequel. But there are clear reasons it failed. Most of them are to do with the marketing and not the content of the film.
>>
>>67321693

I agree, I love the movie but i never watched it in theatres because the 3D in the title shit turned me off
>>
File: anderson.jpg (146 KB, 1500x844) Image search: [Google]
anderson.jpg
146 KB, 1500x844
>tfw no more judgefu
>>
The IP.

Mad Max is cool and well loved. Judge Dredd is niche and I had no interest back then. I later loved the movie but at the time I had no interest and while watching the first time I was thinking this is great despite being Judge Dredd.

Also the title Dredd 3D didn't help.
>>
>>67321886
>Watch Dredd too late to save it
>Fall in love with Karl Urban anyway

Life is suffering
>>
It was the marketing for sure. I was aware of the film being made for months but had no idea it was coming out until the release day. Somewhere the ball was dropped, usually there's a huge "week before" push but I never saw anything

>>67320429
The point of marketing is defeated if you need to seek out advertising materials to learn about the movie
>>
>>67320429
If no one in the thread remembers the marketing, it's safe to say it wasn't marketed right
>>
>>67320407
>Eh, I loved Dredd but MM was better.

Srs question? In what way? Mad Max dragged on A LOT and was just a lot of the same shit over and over. Dredd had actualy developments in the plot, new events, etc.
>>
File: Karl_Urban_Gaius_Julius_Caesar.jpg (132 KB, 800x1003) Image search: [Google]
Karl_Urban_Gaius_Julius_Caesar.jpg
132 KB, 800x1003
>>67321939
I've loved him ever since I saw him in Xena
>>
>>67321989
I loved Fury Road in theaters, but the few times I've tried to rewatch it at home I've fallen asleep. In contrast I've watched Dredd at least 15 times.
>>
British movies lack any budget for marketing and the original Stallone movie was shit as well. Mad Max has at least 2 good movies to its name and there was a huge amount of hype.
>>
>>67320251
Marketing
More well known franchise
Muh feminism
>>
I literally never heard of it before it was on Netflix
>>
>>67320829
Consider suduku
>>
>>67320920
>>67321672
>>67322223
/tv/, land of desperate hipster contrarianism
>>
>>67322126
>Muh feminism
What's funny is that Judge Anderson is a far more well-developed female character, who we actually get to see become tough-as-nails over the course of the film. Does Furiosa have any character development?
>>
Judge Dredd isn't nearly as popular in America as he is in England - people in the U.S. merely associated it with the Stallone picture and had no interest.
>>
>>67322394
If only the Stallone film hadn't been so unbelievably awful.

They should have been smart enough to use a different title, disassociating it.
>>
fury road never made it to #1. it got beat by pitch perfect 2
>>
>>67322322
>Furiosa
>Bad-ass but still optimistic about the 'Green Place.'
>Surprise, it no longer exists
>Existential freakout
>>
>>67322322
Not to mention Mama, a female main villain that actually gets to keep her own agency throughout the whole movie. It felt refreshing to see a female bad that isn't excused as a victim of some outside force, instead being a ruthless scumbag by her own accord. Feminists should be gushing all over that shit.
>>
>>67321933
I'd give her a Hotshot.
If ya know what I mean.
>>
>>67322529
it still made a lot of money internationally
>>
>>67322563
So one scene? Wow. Also the shot of her screaming at the heavens was laughably cliche. None of the female characters are anywhere near as interesting as Anderson and MaMa.
>>
>>67321498
>"Flop"
made Worldwide $377,636,354
it only flopped in the US
>>
>>67322998
And the "WHUT HAV EYE BECUM!?" bit where Anderson hesitates over killing the psychotic criminal isn't cliche?
>>
>>67322799
A woman being evil of her own accord? That is clearly MRA propaganda. A woman can never be evil unless the patriarchy is forcing her to be.
>>
>>67321693
This. I remember seeing the trailer before pretty much every movie at the time and I had no interest in seeing it. Then well after it was released on home video I watched it because I heard it was great, and I really loved it.
>>
File: karl.jpg (28 KB, 600x200) Image search: [Google]
karl.jpg
28 KB, 600x200
>mfw watched Dredd at least 5 times
>>
>>67323108
That scene was actually subtle, and makes sense in context. It's a cliche, sure, but used well. Whereas the scene of Furiosa shouting at the sky is not only trite, but so ridiculous that it becomes unintentionally funny.
>>
>>67322810
What did he mean by this
>>
ITT: MMFR > DREDD

>deal with it
>>
>>67323460
Only on this shithole this would be a debate
>>
>>67320251
it wasnt marketed well

also, the last dredd movie was 20 years ago, and it was horrible
>>
It looked like a faux-edgy straight-to-DVD movie, and Karl Urban's "ME SUPR SRS" face looked hilarious. I had to battle against my every natural instinct to watch it, and only then was I pleasantly surprised.
>>
As far as action flicks go, MM was pretty much perfect. Fuck the plot, just needs pure, unadulterated action with cracking cinematography.

Watched about 15 minutes of Dredd before I had to turn it off.
>>
>>67320251
>Dredd
>awesome police action film based on cult comic book hero from the 70s. Makers had the love of the material and treated the fans well.
>MadMax
>Basically the same film made over and over. Good guy gets entangled in shit with local savages, ends up badly treated, instead of running turns around and goes right through them.
Mad Max is like Greek mythology as it applies to anyone. You don't need dialogue, the story is very simple and makes sense without exposition.
They are different films, very different. Mad Max is close to literature about the human condition and apart from the spectacle it is just a good story well told.
Dredd is a dystopian urban enjoyment of carnage, with satirical notes on the power of lawmakers. I loved both, but Fury Road really was something else.
Side note: the actors did some fight training to get them moving properly and acting like a group. This allowed the camera to stare unflinchingly at physical violence in a way movies these days don't. Often there's a cut right on impact of a blow to another angle. It's visually exhausting and covers the actor's bad form.
>>
I honestly don't understand the success and the critical claim Fury road received.

It looked really good but that was it.

It's an action movie and I got bored. Those brides were shit actors, the story was half baked and the third act was rushed as well as shit.
>>
>>67322799
Unfortunately feminazis are only interested in propagandist portrayals of strong womyn heroes. If you give her any serious flaws they see it as an accusation that all women are like that. #YES ALL WOMEN

No doubt most feminists would watch Dredd and complain that Anderson is too weak and kitteny and too reliant on her big strong male partner, or that MaMa portrays women as evil. I'm sure they'd add something about the Madonna-Whore complex as well.

>"What, are you saying that women can only be one or the other? Misogyny!"
>>
>>67320251
When I wanted to see it (1 month after release) theatres stopped airing it.
>>
I liked the original Dredd with Stallone. Sure it was dumb, but it was pretty funny and self-aware. I saw Dredd 3D in theaters like the day it opened at a non-autist time and the only other people besides me and my girlfriend were a lesbian couple. I don't think anyone else knew it existed.

That said, I like MMFR more. It looked better than Dredd, and while the plots of both movies were equally boring and retarded, MMFR actually had memorable lines and characters.
>>
>>67324020
Literally nobody has said anything like this. You're just imagining feminism oppressing you.
>>
>>67323973
Sucks to be ya
>>
>>67320429
>You faggots just weren't paying attention.

You understand what the point of marketing is, right?
>>
>>67324311
True, wish I did enjoy everything tbqh.
>>
>>67323183
>>mfw watched Dredd at least 5 times
>watched mad max fury road 1.5 times because it's actually shit when not viewed on a big screen with surround sound
>>
Jewstarter will save it! Maybe?
>>
>>67324297
I was creating a hypothetical scenario out of boredom. I know for a fact that no one is oppressing me
>>
>>67320251
they actually built a bunch of crazy cars and filmed them racing through a desert
>>
>>67322106
>>67324473
this

Dredd is so much more rewatchable than Fury Road, and actually works well on a small screen. MMFR does not, because it's all spectacle and so substance.
>>
>>67320251

It was /tv/ shilling that got me to see Dredd. This was the first film I went to see on the recommendation of anons here, and I was not disappointed. So this movie holds a special place in my heart as a result.

But all the other anons already said it, it wasn't marketed well and was buried by other movies.
>>
Lena Headey was so hot in this movie
>>
File: 1457030712556.jpg (55 KB, 400x381) Image search: [Google]
1457030712556.jpg
55 KB, 400x381
>>67320251
Mad Max isn't shit
>>
>>67320251
Terrible marketing and Judge Dredd doesn't draw big crowds.
>>
File: Lena-Headey-01.jpg (190 KB, 900x1265) Image search: [Google]
Lena-Headey-01.jpg
190 KB, 900x1265
>>67325447
She's hot in every movie
>>
>>67320829
Oh how wrong you are
>>
>>67324882
Dredd is rewatchable. It got fucked up by the release of The Raid, when it was made before it.
The people who say MM has no story must be manchildren who show us why we need critics to discern the quality from the popular.
If you have no kids, or any similar stake in the world, then it's all just furious action. Every single character shows care for another. Shows, not tells or claims or declares. Without interrupting the story for even a second, this care is shown by actions.
When people stop caring about each other or their legacy there are no more stories.
>>
Dredd could've used a lot more humor in it and not have so radically went in the opposite direction from the 1995 movie and really just tried to be like the comics more. It probably would've done a lot better.
>>
>>67322048
>Gets asked if it's ok that he wears a helmet the whole movie
>Says he wouldn't have considered it otherwise
>Brings Dredd to the screen without one syllable of fail
>Earns my undying respect
N-no homo
>>
>>67326534
The raid was a fantastic action film.
>>
>>67326534
so basically what your argument amounts to
>you just don't get it
fuck off pleb
>>
>>67326838
I didn't say it wasn't, it's release meant when Dredd came out brats would just say oh it's the raid in sci-fi clothes.
>>67327071
I also explained what there is not to get, because more than one post has said MM was just action no substance, want to speak to that?
>>
>>67320429
are you the guy who lost his his marketing job over this?
>>
I only found out about it through one theater advertisement. If i didn't like lame action movies then the ad wouldn't have resonated with me. It didn't show the movie in the same tone as the one released. Went and saw it. Then like 3 or 4 spots on adult swim over a month and they were done.
>>
>>67327290
It would have been a much better point if it didn't sounds smug and condescending, as well as horribly presumptuous. If anyone here seems like a manchild it's you. But yeah, I'll respond.

Your point about character interactions being shown through action is true, and it's expertly done. But it isn't character development. No one really changes or grows over the course of the film, they get together out of necessity, fight to survive and win.

Who gives a fuck that they "care about each other?" Big deal. In Dredd there are actual arcs, layers and of course satire. The main characters drive the action instead of simply reacting to it. If you seriously think Fury Road as as much substance, you are nothing but a pleb.

But oh, I don't have a family so 2deep4u Mad Max must have just went over my head.
>>
>>67320251
Marketing?
>>
Dredd is underrated, yes, but Fury Road is still a vastly superior movie.
>>
>>67321933
She was aggressively cute for this movie.
It took me out of the movie how everyone else was ugly grungy and dirty and she was so adorable.
>>
>>67328836
the bitch from got was also cute as hell
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (102 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
102 KB, 1920x1080
>>67329085
If you have a thing for British slags maybe

But my bigger point is that she was all fucked up with scars and shit on her face grimy and covered in tattoos, she fit the ugly urban grime whereas Anderson was like the perfect angel. I guess it was to show she was new and 'innocent' to the Judge life but goddamn she was literally too cute.
>>
File: Judge-Dredd-Still-Image-012.jpg (533 KB, 1920x1152) Image search: [Google]
Judge-Dredd-Still-Image-012.jpg
533 KB, 1920x1152
Big part of why Dredd was great was because while it respected the source material it wasn't bound slavishly to it and wasn't afraid to do something different and make it's own impression, something modern capeshit adaptations are terrified of doing since the autists go up in arms when anything deviates from their funny papers. Unfortunately there are far more DC and Marvel cucks out there than Dredd fans.
>>
>you will never become a billionaire and push out a Dredd trilogy yourself
In 2016 we'd have a Dredd 3 around now
>>
>>67320429
I never even know about it outside of /tv/. It didn't even show in my city because there are not 3D theaters here.
>>
3D Killed this film, hands down. It was a great first film for what could have started a deeper, more faithful franchise. Urban was great, the supporting worked very well. I guarantee if this film wasn't 3D it would have worked, even with the lesser advertisement it had compared to MM.

Shame we won't get a sequel to this Dredd, though.
>>
International audiences would only think of the IAMTHULAW Stallone-Dredd who kept taking his fucking helmet off.

Which is ironic, because he was a fucking helmet himself.

>>67330346

>3D killed this film
>the slo-mo scenes were actually some of the best uses of 3D since it became a gimmick again

No, U.
>>
>>67330450
I agree one hundred percent, but if you hadn't seen the film, all I would see is another shitty cash grab where 3D was not used properly, like the greater majority of current 3D films. At the end of the day, 3D being going good or not wasn't the problem. It being solely available in 3D was the problem, because of 3D's reputation.
>>
>>67330142
>you will never become a billionare and become dredd

Why live desu
>>
File: 02_300dpi.jpg (395 KB, 1350x900) Image search: [Google]
02_300dpi.jpg
395 KB, 1350x900
How would you guys feel about no sequel movie but a Netflix series instead?
>>
>>67320403

EYAMTHALAW
>>
>>67330655
Depends. A netflix series with an identical aesthetic/feel to the film would be great. But honestly, most people were hoping for a film sequel, that would risk more, and create a film more akin to the comic in terms of the city.
>>
>>67320251
>How come this movie flopped but Mad Max: Fury Road did great?

Brits can't into advertising their films properly.
>>
File: dredd30.jpg (24 KB, 584x247) Image search: [Google]
dredd30.jpg
24 KB, 584x247
YOUBETRAYDALAAAAAUGGH
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (6 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
6 KB, 480x360
>>67330784
LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH
>>
File: dredd-f23.webm (3 MB, 960x400) Image search: [Google]
dredd-f23.webm
3 MB, 960x400
>>67321933
>>
File: Dredd174.jpg (1021 KB, 2560x1680) Image search: [Google]
Dredd174.jpg
1021 KB, 2560x1680
>>67330723
>a film more akin to the comic in terms of the city.

That wouldn't work too well with the aesthetic and atmosphere that was established in the movie. Marrying talking apes, aliens, wacky old fashioned robots and all the other over the top stuff with the world they've shown us would be really jarring. That's fine though because they're doing their own more realistic thing while still respecting the spirit of Dredd.
>>
File: dredd-ded.webm (3 MB, 1280x536) Image search: [Google]
dredd-ded.webm
3 MB, 1280x536
>>67325447
>>67329717
>>
File: dredd-g345.webm (3 MB, 720x300) Image search: [Google]
dredd-g345.webm
3 MB, 720x300
Overall it had a great soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtbejMoJcp0
>>
>>67328405
>No one really changes or grows over the course of the film,

are you fucking serious

two of the main characters literally have a crisis of faith through the course of the movie
>>
If Dredd came out after Fury Road it would be a smash hit. Dredd is a great movie but for the normie crowds they needed something like MMFR to introduce it to them. MMFR is the truest definition of a masterpiece and we should be thanking its existence as it gets non-capeshit memespouting trash greenlit. It just couldn't save Dredd because it wasn't around yet.
>>
>>67320251
>mfw i prefer this over the overrated madmax
Both good movies, but i had fun seeing DREDD.
>>
>>67328405
you didn't watch Mad Max
>>
I really like both. My taste is fine.
>>
>>67320251

There is absolutely nothing exceptional about the movie.

The cult following Dredd seems to have seems unwarranted to me.

Also The Raid did the exact same story line much better.
>>
>they had plotted out a trilogy that included The Day The Law Died and The Dark Judges
FUCK THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN SO COOL GOD DAMMIT WHY DID THIS HAVE TO FLOP
>>
File: dredd-lab.webm (3 MB, 960x400) Image search: [Google]
dredd-lab.webm
3 MB, 960x400
>>67331167
>>67331192
I liked both too.
>>
>>67331231
Both The Raid and Dredd did the ''Die Hard Plot'' masterfully in their own way.
>>
>>67331307
that was a fun movie, m8.
>>
>>67331231
this

fun b-movie, nothing more
>>
>>67330142
A Dredd 3 to save us from BvS and CW?
>>
>>67320251
it was in the theater for less than a week.
>>
>>67330655
Fantastic. I'd even be happy for an animated series as long as it has got Judge Dredd humor and violence. Better than NOTHING.
>>
fury road didn't do that great and had a way bigger budget.
>>
>>67320251
1. Advertised as Dredd 3D at a time when audiences were cooling to the 3d gimmick.

2. People that loved the stallone version were pissed about a remake.

3. People remember the stallone version and chose to avoid the reboot thinking it was going to try and be like the stallone version.

4. Those of us that actually saw it at the time, and were trying to tell everyone on /tv/ it was good, were called shills.
>>
>20 years
>2 Judge Dredd movies
>0 Judge Death

just fuck my shit up already
>>
>>67330906
there are hundreds of DREDD stories that arent silly britfag humor though. like a good 70% of the cursed earth stuff, or anything involving titan and the prison penal colony, or East MEG and the wars.
>>
>>67320251
Marketing it as DREDD 3DDDDD

This was at the point where everyone stopped giving a shit about 3D movies, that and the marketing sucked dick.
>>
>>67331123
Yeah but nothing changes as a result of it, they end up where they were before the crisis.
>>
I like Dredd, but something's off with it. It feels incomplete.
>>
>>67332889

Some of us listened to you, and I'm thankful I did for one.
>>
File: Ishygddt.jpg (120 KB, 699x666) Image search: [Google]
Ishygddt.jpg
120 KB, 699x666
>>67320251
The faux-"nerds" flocked to Fury Road because it was the hip thing to do.

Judge Dredd failed because these pretentious fucks don't actually indulge into comics & games beyond "CAKE IS A LIE xDD", so they had no idea who Dredd even was.

>inb4 the Stallone movie
>Most of the people who even bother going to the movies nowadays weren't even born when that movie was made

Dredd shows how a legitimately near perfect movie can still fail hard. Ticked every single box, but because it didn't have that try hard social justice branding stamped on it, it failed.
>>
>>67334849
>Dredd shows how a legitimately near perfect movie
lmao
>>
>>67326534
>Without interrupting the story for even a second, this care is shown by actions.
And? The problem with Fury Road is the constant unbearable set pieces. The whole movie is front-loaded. The action gets more and more boring as the movie goes on and it hardly ever fucking stops. It's a total slog to work through.
>>
>>67330906
There's lots of grounded Dredd stories they could adapt.

Even the more fantastical ones like the Judge Death stories could have worked. But they're not gonna happen so who cares.
>>
File: 1456690186393.jpg (550 KB, 1238x1627) Image search: [Google]
1456690186393.jpg
550 KB, 1238x1627
I liked it.
>>
>>67334920
prove him wrong you lmao poster
protip you wont
>>
>>67335562
>protip you wont
Nice english you got there, champ.

L M A O
M
A
O

Fucking dredd fanboys
>>
>>67335655
all those words are english
>>
it's sad that shit like the Resident Evil movies get made every two years, but nobody is interested in Dredd.
>>
>>67320251
>Shitty advertising, the trailers weren't that good.
>It was only available in 3D and it even has 3D in it's name, "Dredd 3D" is not a great title.
>Judge Dredd isn't as popular in the US as many seem to think, especially not compared to Mad Max.

in contrast, the marketing for the new Mad Max did everything right, every single trailer looked fucking great. They even released a "legacy trailer" to showcase the series history and build up even more hype.
>>
>>67321989
Dredd had the pacing strategy of a video game.
>light grunt action
>bigger set piece
>plot/character development
>>
>>67320251
Blame Stallone. Don't be surprised when you ask people about Dredd and they responded with "oh you mean that movie with stallone?"
>>
>>67332889
>People that loved the stallone version were pissed about a remake.
Really? They exist? That's the first I've heard of such thing.
>>
When people think of mad max they know it's a classic film series from the 70s-80s even if they don't know the plot or that it stares mel gibson.

When people think of dredd they either never heard of it or think of the shitty 90s movie.
>>
>>67329717
It's because Olivia Thirlby is literal perfection anon. She couldn't be not adorable even if she tried.
>>
>>67320251
>>67320251

DVD sales went through the roof though, enough for them to consider a sequel Urban willing.

Karl did a great job as Dredd. He certainly washed that Stallone shit away from the franchise.

Too bad they didn't bother to market the film that much. Barely anyone knew the movie was out.
>>
>>67335655
Ah the typical hipster contrarian and his mocking instead of arguments
>>
>>67331192
Me too, though I did enjoy Dredd more.
>>
>>67320429
it was marketed as "DR3DD" which made people think it was just a shitty 3D cash in.

Also most people only knew Dredd from the Sly movie and not the comics, and that movie does not nearly have as much cultural presence as three Mad Max movies did.
>>
>>67320251
>Dredd
>old school

CGI chainguns
3D gimmicks
and I bet they used filters too

The action was more old school than today's flicks but that's about it. Why people praise this average movie is beyond me.
>>
File: almost_human_karl-urban.png (204 KB, 452x301) Image search: [Google]
almost_human_karl-urban.png
204 KB, 452x301
>>67321939
I feel bad for Karl Urban. He does good work but nobody ever notices him.
>>
File: oHMulbK.jpg (234 KB, 1054x1300) Image search: [Google]
oHMulbK.jpg
234 KB, 1054x1300
>>67321933
>>67339401
What are some other /tv/-approved movies she's been in? I need more Thirlby in my life.
>>
>>67320644
Am I the only one who had the Stallone movie be a gateway to Dredd? I would've missed the film myself if I didn't like the old film and love Dredd.

Dredd was up there with Robocop and Batman for me.
>>
>>67330655
>Dream of winning the lottery one day or somehow inventing something that makes me Minecraft tier money

>One of the first things I would do is help fund a dredd sequel
>Wouldn't care it was a flop or huge success, just want more Dredd
>>
>>67339589
>It had some of the best use of 3D you'll ever see on a movie.
>The chainguns scene was like the best setpiece in the movie.
>Plebs call it old school because the action doesn't look like something out of Taken/The Expendables.

People praise it because:

The costume/production design is fantastic(Except for the gore effects, those sucked).

Non-shaky cam fast paced action.

Awesome soundtrack.

Acting was on point.

A female villain who doesn't suck.

Karl Urban's chin and his use of the proper frowning technique.

Olivia Thrilby is a qt.
>>
>>67340282
>somehow inventing
Minecraft isn't a particularly profound concept. Java isn't a particularly difficult programming language. The only thing exceptional about Notch is the amount of work he put into what he was doing. You could literally make Minecraft if you tried hard enough and spent enough time on it.
>>
>>67320251
1. Fury Road did terrible at the box office
2. This had next to no marketing behind it. It's purely a cult classic.
>>
>>67330855
Damnit she's literally perfect.
>>
File: 1423089795537.png (525 KB, 637x600) Image search: [Google]
1423089795537.png
525 KB, 637x600
>because of le marketing

no, faggots, it's because fury road is a perfectly crafted film from a renowned, talented artist.

dredd was an anxious effort from some faggot who looks like a video game designer.

don't get me wrong, i loved dredd. i did. i saw it in 3D and 2D, paid money for both. but comparing it to a film like fury road, a 100% passion project from a dedicated director with a decade of conceptualization and storyboards, is ludicrous.
>>
>>67341742
fury road isn't that great it's just been a shitty decade for action films
>>
fury road didn't break even until rentals and blu ray/dvd sales
>>
Mad Max didn't do "great" tho.
>>
>>67339977
god damn no memeing I'd really REALLY love to see her fall into a wild opiate addiction and move to porn to pay the bills. Facial Abuse, Dogfart, I want to see her holes destroyed. She has that kind of face.
>>
File: 1298813421159.jpg (16 KB, 275x279) Image search: [Google]
1298813421159.jpg
16 KB, 275x279
>>67341813
>fury road isn't that great it's just been a shitty decade for action films

Are you fucking 12?
Fury road could have been released in the 80's or 90's it would still be critically acclaimed. One film isn't a success just because the others are bad.
>>
>>67341958
it has no story
>>
>>67341988

It has no story because you need the story told to you like you're a four year old.
>>
>>67342011
have a lot of experience with 4 year olds after watching your wifes son?
>>
>>67342100

As a kindergarten teacher I've had plenty of experience trying to get little kids to read for themselves and not have to have everything spelled out for them.
>>
>>67339930

he's got star trek going for him, bro. not all is lost.
>>
>>67342128
so you're a grill or a weird pedo?
>>
>>67335655
Great post fagtron you sure convinced me with those hot opinions
>>
>>67342155
It's really sad that Star Trek 3 will probably end up being a better movie than TFA but Trekkies will shit on it because they're Trekkies and normies will ignore it because they've got Disney's Star Wars now
>>
File: 1457635843952.jpg (35 KB, 600x428) Image search: [Google]
1457635843952.jpg
35 KB, 600x428
>>67341988
>it has no story

Denial strong. Argument meaningless.
>>
>>67342244
not an argument
>>
>>67342216

could you maybe try not to make me sad with your prognosticating?

personally, i think the new younger generation doesn't really distinguish between star wars or trek in a big way, or at least the don't have brand loyalty. they'll go see both, and kids will get the older generations to see it.
>>
>>67341742
>dredd was an anxious effort from some faggot who looks like a video game designer.
And you're a vapid retard who thinks that's relevant to the final product at all. Go bother people with your ad-hominems elsewhere, you underage piece of shit.
>>
>>67341742
nigger are you a faggot?
>>
>>67342512
yes I enjoy the company of men
>>
>>67320829
The Raid
The Raid 2
Die Hard
The Killer
Winter Soldier

5 examples of better "Action" movies.
>>
>>67342512
im not a faggot but if a gang of AIDS-free niggers made me their cumdumpster for a week I'd be grateful for the experience
>>
>>67320429
I had no idea it existed for years. While the trailer for Fury Road was basicly shoved down my throat
>>
>>67342216
>>67342155

Honestly, I don't like him as Mccoy. The guy who plays Spock is alright, and Jim Kirk is *supposed* to be more Chris Pratt than William Shatner for the sake of the story, but I don't think Karl Urban plays a good Mccoy. The accent sounds forced and he just doesn't have the grumpiness right.

I like him a lot in almost every other thing he's been in though. Dredd was a great movie. I like it for what it is better than the Stallone movie. I ERM DAH LAH is nostalgia.
>>
>>67320682
Yeah in 2012 verything was being pushed as 3d and seeing 3D in the title was code for SHIT

In fact it still is
>>
>>67320829
>top 5 best

This legitimately triggered me, fuck you.
>>
Marketed as Dredd 3D calling to mind it being some shitty 3D cashgrab.

The only cultural impact Judge Dredd had outside of the niche as fuck comics was the shitty Stallone film.

That's why it bombed.
>>
File: dredd-23f2.webm (2 MB, 1000x413) Image search: [Google]
dredd-23f2.webm
2 MB, 1000x413
>this thread is still up
>>
>>67342216
It honestly won't be. Did you even see the trailer? It was just fast and furios mixed in with some star trek elements, it will be the biggest scifi bomb of all time and will get less than 1000 viewers wold-wide.
>>
File: Dredd20.jpg (469 KB, 1000x1554) Image search: [Google]
Dredd20.jpg
469 KB, 1000x1554
>an overmarketed overhyped revisit to a cult movie franchise

vs

>an undermarketed, underhyped revisit to a small comic franchise and terrible movie
>>
>>67346366
>laws before hoes
why his suit changes colors after she kisses him
>>
>>67342659
>Die Hard
You sure have some shit taste m8.
>>
File: Dredd21.jpg (537 KB, 1080x1314) Image search: [Google]
Dredd21.jpg
537 KB, 1080x1314
>>67346414

Communism was sucked out of him and LAW won
>>
I'll wade into the shit pit of this thread. I didn't see Dredd in theaters because it looked awful. The trailers were hokey and ridiculous. People in the audience were guffawing, snickering, belly-laughing at the trailer. Also, I remember the Stallone Dredd. No thanks.

I saw Mad Max because it's an established franchise and I had heard good things.

I did finally see Dredd on Netflix and was pleasantly surprised, but I wouldn't say it's necessarily better or worse than Fury Road. Both dystopian but vastly different
>>
>>67320421

The other trailer was superior

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEJnMQG9ev8
>>
Dreddbabbys still crying hard 4 years later, but now they have all this jelly with Miller's masterpiece too

It keeps on giving
>>
>>67339431
>DVD sales went through the roof though, enough for them to consider a sequel Urban willing.
Urban is willing, but they haven't done anything with this property for 4 years. It isn't happening.
>>
>>67346550
I loved that story, not even a crazy stalker gets to Dredd.
Thread replies: 205
Thread images: 30

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.