[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Leon: The Professional
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 10
File: image.jpg (347 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
347 KB, 1280x800
Thoughts on this movie? Just saw it for the first time.
I suppose you would consider it a romantic film yes? I love how out there it is regarding romance. Such a crazy concept for a couple but somehow it works. One major complainant was that Leon being a hit man was kind of irrelevant to the entire movie. You only seem him do one job, and then from there on its just the romance progression. Mathilda doesn't really learn how to become a hitman since he doesn't let her, she doesn't even become his partner in crime. So your like okay, how is the hit man thing relevant? She then becomes interested in killing her brother's murderer, so would think it would make the direction of the movie shift into her picking up on his skills to get the job done, or them working together to kill him. But no, she attempts to on kill him, fails miserably, and Leon has to come to the rescue. The movie ends in his death, and afterwards she talks to Tony that she was to become a cleaner, but he denies it. So again, by the end of the movie its makes it completely irrvelvant that Leon was a hit man.
He could of be ex-military and it would of worked just fine. Nothing would of changed really.
I just don't understand how the concept of the movie is relevant to the story. She never becomes a hit man, and he never willingly goes out to work with her to kill Mathilda's brother. Its like okay…
That being said, the romance was done amazingly. I loved every second of it and thats where the movie truly shines. It builds up to subtly. Its wrong, but sexy. But also understandable considering her situation. Its perfect. You can't help but feel Mathilda's pain when he was to leave her. Romance at its finest and no other movie portrays a couple I love more then this movie.
>>
>>67297989
I dunno man. You're right on it being bullshit that we only ever see Leon do one job, but I felt like it could have been more of a "master/apprentice" relationship than a "I have a weird child crush on you" romantic relationship. If it had gone more down that road I'd have liked it more, but I enjoyed it all the same.

Gary Oldman was a based piece of shit in this.
>>
>>67297989
If cunny posters were from reddit this would be the movie for them.
>>
>>67298339
The fuck does that mean?
>>
File: image.jpg (19 KB, 288x194) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
19 KB, 288x194
>>67298142
Hm perhaps your right. Perhaps I was looking too deep into it. I just figured them sleeping in the same bed was confirming they were romantic, even if he didn't neccessarily do anything to her. Good movie regardless
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (44 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
44 KB, 1280x720
>>67298397
isn't that the question of the day?
>>
Hershlagposter where are you?
>>
>>67299173
Hi
>>
>>67297989
You're vapid.
>>
>>67298142
>we only ever see Leon do one job
The international version shows him killing many guys while training her.
>>
File: 1443477979639.png (34 KB, 522x289) Image search: [Google]
1443477979639.png
34 KB, 522x289
In the original script they fuck

>MATHILDA (con't) I want you to be the first to touch me... The first to make love with me. Nobody before you.

>She stands up and modestly gets off her briefs without taking off her dress. Leon cries, unable to oppose her. Mathilda is too young, but she's also too beautiful and lovely and sweet and tender... She sweetly, very sweetly, gets on him.
>>
>>67299346
how very european
>>
>>
>>67297989
your take is not wrong, but it sounds like you focus a lot on the destination and maybe not enough on the journey so to speak.
This isn't a movie with a big agenda, its a naive sort of poem with amazing action sequences out of nowhere, and a magnificent casting. There's no real message here except

>bad luck kid, maybe next time?

This isn't about what they do as much as who they are and the manner it is revealed.

Besson isn't deep. He's a Spielberg copycat fundamentally, he just needs a story to throw his own stuff at. Leon came to him after Nikita, Reno played Leon in Nikita, the very same role in which he cleans dead bodies with acid in a bathtub. After they shot this hilarious scene they wanted to explore his character a bit more, and that's how Leon the movie came to be.
It's just entertainment. If you look at it too closely of course it will break. Again this is Besson.
>>
>>67299794
Very good point. I do tend to look for a meaning/lesson/overall message to every story. Unless its like fantasy.
But the true is not every movie has a message, its just a story.
>>
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhRW8J3gTuo

Cute as fuck.
>>
>ywn be her little brother
>>
>>67297989
I don't think it was a romance. To me, it was more of this young girl developing a crush on this guy that's pretty slow, and he just has no idea what to do with it. He's awkward and unintelligent and the only things he has in the world are his job and his plant.

When Mathilda enters his life, he suddenly has multiple problems all spring up at once--caring for her, teaching her to clean, trying to get revenge for her, etc. It complicates the incredibly simple life he had, and it also eventually ends it, but I think that the movie does a good job of telling you that it's okay that he died, since Mathilda got to live.

I think that the movie is largely a metaphor for the experience of many immigrants--work hard and get shit, but pass on a better life to your children, which is exactly what we see happen with Leon and Mathilda.

All in all, I'd say that Leon is just a simple-minded man who doesn't quite know how to deal with Mathilda. On an intellectual level, he's the child and she's the adult. Not sure what to make of that exactly, but it's interesting.

I dunno. I don't think Leon had any romantic feelings toward Mathilda either way, I just don't think he understood how to deal with her advances.
>>
>>67299920
You know some movies, they are stylistic exercises for the directors.
Hitchcock liked to do that a lot for instance, I think it's The Rope that is done in 3 takes? and that was because of the technical limitation of reels back then, it was conceived as a one long camera shot, the entire script.

This is an extreme case I'm taking, but you have more recent ones like Fincher's The Room or most Lynch's movies. These movies will be more about the journey, the technical challenges, experimenting or the so called poetry/ideas rather than being your average Hollywood moral tale.
Leon is a lighter form of that, it doesn't takes itself too seriously. Besson is toying with his old motives here, the cool professional, the young female, the crazy antagonist..And he simply ended up with something a tad more special than usual for him. It's a cool movie I mean.
>>
Good thread
>>
>>67298142
Oldman is atrocious in this
>>
>>
>>67299346

I fucking love the French sometimes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfXBNQMj2SE
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.