[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm looking for a new series to watch, one that's finished
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: Downton_Abbey_season_1.jpg (21 KB, 274x364) Image search: [Google]
Downton_Abbey_season_1.jpg
21 KB, 274x364
I'm looking for a new series to watch, one that's finished and i sumbled upon Downtown Abbey, i see that it has a good score on imdb, it is a hard ass drama i asume but it could be good. What's so good about Downtown Abbey? Should i watch it?
>>
You shouldn't, it's for lonely middle aged mums
>>
>>67273137
I suppose Six Feet Under is also, but i liked it
>>
Comfy as fuck.
>>
It's a GOAT period drama.

Ignore the "muh masculinity" fags.

There's also some neato episode ideas e.g. WW1 soldier comes back from Canada claiming he is a dead member of the family but has no proof other than his word.
>>
watch it on some quality screen btw

>English lawns
>>
>>67273579
>>67273589
>>67273686
tnx, i think i will give it a try. i read something that there is '16' main characters, so it should be very complex, nice.
>>
It goes to shit in the 4th season just stop after mary gets with her man and move on.
>>
>>67273729
It's more unfocused than complex, sorry to say. The first season is pretty good, and S2-S3 still have some interest, but it gets really pointless and repetitive after that.
>>
>>67272844
It was good while it showed the end of an era, the radical social adjustments after WWI, bourgeoisie stepping up while nobility clings to the scraps they have left, and discussions about what worked and what not in the older system. When it was ambiguous, or at least when the answer wasn't spoon-fed for the audience.
Then it became a crappy soap drama that was only slightly tolerable whenever Maggie Smith had a scene.
>>
File: BLACKED.jpg (10 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
BLACKED.jpg
10 KB, 275x183
>>
its a cheap soap set in the past.

I would avoid
>>
it's pretty comfy and it hasn't so many episodes per season, give it a try
>>
>>67272844
well for one thing, it's DownTON Abbey

the first series is great. after that it gets progressively more like a typical soap opera and you can just stop watching at season 4. i'll let you ascertain why
>>
First season is quite alright, but second season onwards it turns into a soap opera with a cheap script and expensive sets. They literally introduce an heir with amnesia, who then disappears and is never heard from again. It's nothing more than a soap opera but because of its large budget people don't feel as guilty watching and talking about it. Also, like most period dramas, it's guilty of the "put modern people in old clothes" cliche.
>>
>>67272844
>Downtown Abbey
Every time
>>
>>67277463
the amnesia guy was literally the guy who was supposed to have died on the titanic who was mary's fiancee at the time, was rescued, lived in canada for years and then enlisted in WWI and got injured, bringing his memory back[\spoiler]

i almost can't handle how stupid that sounds typing it out
>>
File: 7345.gif (1 MB, 268x175) Image search: [Google]
7345.gif
1 MB, 268x175
>it's a zombie episode
>>
>>67277656
that's why they didn't believe his story
>>
>>67277816
>give him a glass of water
>>
>>67272844
You should watch it for Maggie Smith. Her lines are gold.
>>
Watch the first 2 seasons, at least. It's an interesting look at that time period. Plus... Maggie Smith.

Upstairs, Downstairs is better, if a bit dated, but I'd recommend it in the long term over Downton.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.