[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How would YOU fix it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 1956x2806) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 1956x2806
How would YOU fix it?
>>
File: carla.jpg (107 KB, 936x1042) Image search: [Google]
carla.jpg
107 KB, 936x1042
TITS
>>
>>67247232
Here's my take:
>Get rid of the horrible soundtrack
>More sexy Ozzymandias moves
>Give the blue guy a bigger cock
>>
Some of the music, sound effects and editing. Other than that the ultimate cut is top tier cape shit
>>
Recast Veidt.
>>
By actually following the graphic novel.
>>
More gun fights and explosions. Less of the boring ass dialogue.

>inb4 pleb

Its capeshit, i dont give a flying fuck why the faggot on my screen wears a mask and a cape. I just wanna see him fuck shit up or get fucked up. Its supposed to be mindless fun. I didnt sign up for try hard pseudo art.
>>
>>67247232
better fight scenes. all cape shit relies on good action sequences

the fights looked overly choreographed and to slow for cape shit

maybe more visceral crude attacks that are faster but not overly repetitive swings. so no crouching tiger bull shit and no same 2 punches for the whole movie bull shit
>>
But it's not broken.

Best and only capekino.
>>
It's already a pretty good movie as it is. If I were to change something, I would change that fucking cringeworthy sex scene (you know the one), and make it 20 minutes longer and slow the pace a little in some scenes (Comedian funeral, Rorschach origin's, etc.)
>>
>>67247329

>Give the blue guy a black cock

ftfy
>>
This isnt supposed to be a super-hero movie, so "better fight scenes" is the most retarded shit you could say.

To fix you have to fucking understand the story instead of "hurr durr superheroes in real life and who killed the comedian". To be faithful to the story:

>actually spend more time developing the characters intead of the plot
>dont make Rorschach a badass
>dont edit it like everything is supposed to be cool and sleak
>fucking understand that Veidt isnt supposed to be a villain
>fucking understand the reason of the alleged Alien invasion
>dont have fight scenes, slow motion and unnecessary violence
>get rid of the stupid fucking soundtrack
>dont do that shit sex scene
>make it depressing as shit and get rid of the sense of "wonder" and pretense "revolutionary movie from a visionary director". The point of the story is that "superheroes" is a fascist concept as is most means of justice in society and culture.
>have an actual actor to portray Veidt and Spectral
>don't spill every nuance in the story to the public and leave something to interpreted
>dont fucking make it
>>
>>67247232
Get rid of the cringe sex scene
>>
>No slo mo
>No flashy fight scenes, something more realistic instead.
>shorter fight scenes (the comedian vs Ozy is ridiculous)
>Costumes that look homemade and fit with the time period instead of all that overdesigned crapfest
>Keep the original ending from the comic
>Fix the score
>Not directed by Zack Snyder
>>
>>67247684
>Give the blue guy a horse cock

fify
>>
Comic:
>"lol dont ask me where I was when Kennedy got shot!"
>"maybe Veidt is gay because he never got married and I'm a conservative crazy person"
>"flashback"

Movie:
>The Comedian fucking holding a sniper rifle with Kennedy in the car with his head blown-off
>Veidt fucking dancing with Village People and hugging David Bowie
>"The Comedian...is your father"

SHIT.
>>
>>67248704
Show, don't tell
>>
Best capeshit movie. It's so good its almost not capeshit but kino
>>
longer sex scenes
more bullshit drama between mahattan/silk spectre/nite owl
>>
>>67248731
My film professor said the exact same thing!
>>
>>67248731
you don't show shit that are subjective to the characters you piece of garbage
>>
>>67248534
You got it.

There is so much wrong with this movie. Still think they could have made it work tho maybe with another creative team but as it is it's a mess.
>>
>>67248792
"I killed Kennedy"
"Veldt might be gay lol"
How are those things subjective?
>>
>>67248731
dumbass
>>
>>67248731
having THe Comedian joke about Kennedy makes us imagine, having Rorschach think that Veidt is gay reveals shit about Rorschach and not Veidt, and the flashback IS show, but only in the movie Manhattan goes out of his way to explain the flashback in case dumb people like David Hayter fail to understand it
>>
>>67248877
He jokes about Kennedy.
Because Rorschach thinks Veidt is gay. Therefore, subjective to Rorschach
>>
>>67247232
Should have went the TV mini series route
>>
I would've made sure it followed the original graphic novel faithfully, with no omissions, or re-writes.
>>
>>67248534

This is the right answer.
>>
>>67248534
This guy gets it.

I think subtlety would go a long way
>>
Recast the younger Silk Spectre.
Make it a multi-part HBO mini-series that takes the time to actually examine and develop the characters and world they live in.
Get a decent actor to ay Nixon and tell Carla Gugino to reign it in a bit.
Change the soundtrack
Change the director
>>
>>67247349
>>67248978
>they want the psychic "alien" shit

The absolute madmen
>>
>>67248884
The joke strongly implies that he did kill Kennedy (otherwise he was just being a cringeworthy edgelord, which isn't really in character for the Comedian), so it would weird to not have that be in a montage of how the heroes have altered history. It adds nothing to "make us imagine".

The flashback is in the context of a fucking conversation; are you such an autist that you think people just speak in hints about important information such as this?

Veidt being on friendly terms with David Bowie does not necessarily make him gay, and much like how you describe Rorschach, the fact that you assume he is being depicted as gay because of this says a lot more about you than Veidt.
>>
>>67249074
There's nothing wrong with it
>>
>>67249118
>Veidt being on friendly terms with David Bowie does not necessarily make him gay, and much like how you describe Rorschach, the fact that you assume he is being depicted as gay because of this says a lot more about you than Veidt.

This, and the rest of it
>>
>>67248534
Pretty much.
Make it two two and a half hour films at the very least, or streamline its script into something less faithful but more in tune with the structure of a movie.

Make the "fight scenes" pretty much like real life street brawls, the antithesis of what you see in capeshit and action movies. Like they were meant to be in the fucking comic book, regular people in capes with some training beating down on regular people in undignified ways.
>>
>>67249130
The purple cat is jarring enough in the movie, do you really think huge CGI aliens right the fuck out of nowhere would have worked? Attributing it to Dr Manhattan improves the reveal immeasurably from a story perspective.
>>
>>67249118
The flaschback: Laurie and Manhattan know that The Comedian is her father. Havin Manhattan spill it out is

E X P O S I T I O N
>>
>>67248534
>dont make Rorschach a badass
He was a badass in a comic too desu.
>>
>>67249183
The purple cat is jarring in the movie because he is a prototype of the Alien.

Also: how the fuck an american soldier, like Manhattan - WHO IS CALLED MANHATTAN - supposed to end Cold War??

>>67249217
his "badassery" in the original story is supposed to be viewed as a bad thing. Not as in "he's cool because he's violent and speaks with a Batman voice and does parkour in slowmo in the rain"
>>
>>67247232

I understand why they changed the ending. The fake alien invasion thing wouldn't work in a movie, there's not enough time to set it up. There still were problems, though, mainly in dealing with the tone and the action.

I would fix it like this:

1. Remove the slow-mo from the fight scenes and don't film it like an action hero movie. The whole point is these "heroes" are past their prime in a world that doesn't want them any more. The fight scenes aren't really supposed to be epic action set pieces, they should give at least a small nod to the fact that these are middle aged men and women picking back alley fights in dumb costumes.

2. Don't make Rorschach kill the one guy with the hatchet. I don't even fucking understand what these change was designed to do other than completely ruin his character's development. Leaving the hatchet so the guy can choose to kill himself sends such a different message about Rorschach's character and how he deals with things and it's important to show it.

3. In the ending scene with Ozymandias, don't make him deflecting Rorschach a series of "epic" moves where he gets pounded into the wall and breaks things with close-ups and snap zooms. Shoot it wider, take out the slow-mo, and just make Ozy effortlessly deflect Rorschach without skipping a beat as he makes his speech. No music, just the sound of the Watchmen and Ozy talking over Rorschach's heated attempts to strike Ozymandias as he just gets pushed aside without even a thought. That's a much more striking and meaningful image about the futility of Rorschach's attempts to stop Ozymandias. The scene we actually got in the movie doesn't fit the tone of the scene in the slightest.
>>
>>67249183
>do you really think huge CGI aliens right the fuck out of nowhere would have worked?

Sure. If they'd set it up like in the comics with the whole subplot about the artists, the island and all that.

I guess what I'm trying to say is the original ending worked and was spectacular (more than the energy fart in the movie anyway) so what's the point of changing it?
>>
>>67249217
He was meant to be what being a "badass" vigilante would actually mean and do to a person.
Nobody would willfully go that far without some mental disorder or extreme trauma driving them, and it would leave you a burned out husk.
>>
>>67249301
The purple cat is jarring because it's a cartoon abomination in a movie which had at no point prior to its introduction entertained that something such as that might exist.

Oh yes, of course, I had not factored in the fact that Dr Manhattan has a name, and could therefore not do anything which might be seen as opposed in principle to the thing that he shares that name with. Did you even watch the fucking movie? How on earth do you figure that Dr Manhattan is a stalwart patriot who would never act against American interests?
>>
>>67249301
Because Manhattan transcends his human loyalties. That's the whole point of his arc: he's not human anymore. He's an uncontrollable godlike entity now, no longer loyal to any party.

Having him as an enemy makes perfect sense. He is perceived as a terrifying, possibly evil force, as revealed through the public's perception of him. Even when Manhattan is on America's side, citizens are still terrified of him because of his raw power and seeming lack of care for human lives or American loyalty.

Yes, it is totally believable that both the Russians and the Americans were afraid of what he could do, making him a perfect martyr for the cause of global unification.
>>
>>67249379
Because having Dr Manhattan's emo phase actually factor into the story's climax and have some consequence in the larger story is tidier from a writing perspective than "WOAH CGI MONSTERS RIGHT THE FUCK OUT OF NOWHERE GUESS WE WORLD PEACE NOW"
>>
>>67249379
>I will give you bodies beyond your wildest imagining

That punchline alone justifies the Squid more than a thousand Roland Emmerich like explosions that totally miss the 9/11 like point of the original ending.
>>
>>67249379

It's the kind of thing that would work in a TV show or a miniseries, but not in the time constraints of a single movie. It would have been squeezed in and made everything feel rushed because of it.

I think the alternative worked. Make everyone think Dr. Manhattan just attacked and declared war on the whole world and fucked off to Mars to plan the next attack. Now every nation will unite to prepare for Dr. Manhattan's supposedly inevitable return and everyone will enjoy peace as a result, because the world's militaries will be focused on a bigger problem. It's literally the same result as a fake alien invasion, but it requires less set up and utilizes the characters and development already established in the story.

Now, don't get me wrong, I liked the ending in the comic book and I loved the set up for it. But you can't seriously tell me you think it would work in a single movie, can you? It's possible they could have tweaked it slightly and made it more refined, but they were on the right track. It's literally the only change in the movie that's justified, too.
>>
>>67249467
Yes, but WE know that about Manhattan, not the public. He was an american citizen, creation, weapon and his final "crisis" was an american creation.

>>67249504
People dont understand that the whole point of the Alien invasion is that is out of nowhere to the public while the reader knows throughout the whole story something is being made and that is a huge deal in the story - thats the fucking reason why the Comedian dies, for fuck's sake, and Veidt goes into detail about making it credible.

It's out of nowhere to the public but NOT to the reader.
>>
>>67249632
>He was an american citizen, creation, weapon and his final "crisis" was an american creation.

You do know the attacks also targeted the United States, right? Ozy was scapegoating Manhattan, and the fact that major cities from every country on both sides of the cold war conflict, even the USA who created Dr. Manhattan and originally used him as a weapon, convinces everyone that he's just giving the finger the every human and declaring war on the world.
>>
>try to completely re-do the second act of the movie so it doesn't feel like it's a bleeding mess until the veidt reveal
>make snyder shoot it with a little more imagination and originality as opposed to just storyboarding most of the comic
>especially re-do the whole cringeworthy mars sequence with manhattan/silk 2, there had to be better takes.. that was just terrible, especially manhattans "understanding" of "miracles"
>replace malin akerman (silk 2)
>find a competent fight choreographer

i don't believe he needs to go but since almost everyone else does, fine;
>replace matthew goode (ozy)
>>
>>67249632
Manhattan basically admitted that he gave his Ex cancer, screamed at a group of people baying for his blood and then teleported away. It is totally believable that the public might consider him a potential enemy.

"[Veidt's Alien Invasion plan] is out of nowhere to the public while the reader knows throughout the whole story something is being made and that is a huge deal in the story"
How is that not also true of the Dr Manhattan version?
>>
>>67249504
>"WOAH CGI MONSTERS RIGHT THE FUCK OUT OF NOWHERE GUESS WE WORLD PEACE NOW"

Preferable to "WOAH CGI EXPLOTIONS RIGHT THE FUCK OUT OF NOWHERE GUESS WE WORLD PEACE NOW, DESPITE THEM TAKING OUT THE HALF OF IT INSTEAD OF A SMALL BUT ICONIC AREA LIKE IN THE ORIGINAL ENDING IN AN UTILITARIAN EFFORT TO MINIMIZE CASUALTIES BUT MAXIMIZE IMPACT. CAUSED BY WHAT USED TO BE AN AMERICAN CITIZEN AND AN AMERICAN CREATION, RIPE TO BE USED AS JUSTIFICATION FOR MORE VIOLENCE ONCE THE IMPACT OF "HIS" ACTIONS AND HIS PRESENCE FADES AWAY AND PEOPLE EITHER START WORSHIPING HIM AS AN OLD TESTAMENT TYPE DEATH GOD OR CALL FOR ACTION AGAINST THOSE RESPONSIBLE FOR ALL THIS PAST SUFFERING. WHAT A GREAT FUCKING IDIEA"
>>
>>67249831
Given the collective sperg-out over minor differences from the comic, how would you justify storyboarding it completely differently?
>>
>>67249883
not completely. just slightly more.

you can't let the sperg out get to you.
>>
>>67247232
remove retarded music, maybe better cast in some parts.

Still probably best capeshit ever made.
>>
Recast Silk Spectre (Akerman sucks)
Make the sex scenes less goofy or remove them altogether
No blue penis
At least halfway incorporate the leviathan monster into the ending. Maybe make it a vision that Dr Manhattan has when he forsees new york being destroyed. That way its still allegorical in a way but then you can still have the more practical energy weapon ending

Change nothing else. I like the novel and the film quite a bit actually. Im not a purist or anything. I just have always really admired the ambition of the Snyder film. There are scenes in the film I really really love like the entire beginning part with The Comedian, (and any scene with the comedian really), the opening credits, the vietnam flashbacks, the mars sequences, the Rorschach vigilante scenes, and the ending in Antarctica
>>
>>67249858
The Dr Manhattan mythos had been completely dispelled by the time of the explosion - the dude was wearing a suit and giving TV interviews about his sex life!

A random large-scale attack from Manhattan was both believable (as he had had a misanthropic outburst on national television days before), and provided a more believable cause for instant peace negotiations (because people knew him and what he was capable of).

A small-scale alien corpse drop would only have provoked skepticism and then curiosity, certainly not providing a sufficient cause to fast-track peace negotiations. It's just too weird and sudden.
>>
>>67249612
But how does it achive world peace? The point of the alien, along the shock factor is that it supposedly transcends humanity onto a whole level - they have to treat Earth as whole now, a united entity against god knows what.

Manhattan might be a god-like being, but he is perceivable to the common human, he is something "touchable", hell he is an american citizen (don't forget that in the comic only New York got fucked up". He just doesn't have the same effect.
>>
>>67250084
>He doesn't like the Big Blue Cock
>>
>>67249858
>RIPE TO BE USED AS JUSTIFICATION FOR MORE VIOLENCE ONCE THE IMPACT OF "HIS" ACTIONS AND HIS PRESENCE FADES AWAY AND PEOPLE EITHER START WORSHIPING HIM AS AN OLD TESTAMENT TYPE DEATH GOD OR CALL FOR ACTION AGAINST THOSE RESPONSIBLE FOR ALL THIS PAST SUFFERING.

But that's part of the point. I believe it's a question posed by the characters, in fact, though I may be wrong. Ozy is convinced this will usher in everlasting peace, but how long will it really last? This problem exists with the original ending, too. Eventually the impact of the "alien" attack would fade, people would wonder where the aliens are, some would be worshiping them, others would be searching for them. Eventually the aliens are at the center of ideologies and religions and people start going to war over THAT.

Basically what you're complaining about is that there's an amount of ambiguity and complexity to what's presented in the story.

Is Ozymandias right? Will this lead to eternal world peace, or will it just be temporary?

Can you justify killing so many people as a means to eternal world peace?

If it does end up being temporary, would the loss of innocent life still be justified?

If so, how long would the peace need to last to make it worth such large-scale murder of innocents?

Is it justifiable to repeat the process every few generations to "reboot" the peace, or should we never have done this and tried to find a less extreme solution?
>>
>>67250223
>they have to treat Earth as whole now, a united entity against god knows what.

Literally an explanation of the Manhattan alternative. They all know he is pretty much omnipotent, so he is not really perceivable in the way you describe.
>>
>>67250180
>It's just too weird and sudden.

Thats the fucking idea, thats the whole fucking idea, a giant squid suddenly mindfucks 2000000 men and women, blows their mind up, he is something entirely new, something that humanity has never faced or even thought about.
>>
alien squid
>>
>less slow motion
>less tacticool superhero costumes from 2000's
>more depth to Manhattan parts

And that's it.
>>
>>67249612
I'm sure that's how the screenwriters saw the situation too.
I always thought Watchmen should be a 3 hours long movie so yeah I think they could've done it in a single movie. It would have to be paced differently though. It sure is impossible to fit it in if you adapt the graphic novel page by page like they did which is absurd anyway,
>>
>another discussion about the Watchmen film
>becomes just another discussion about the ending
Can anybody tell me something about the film they actually liked?
>>
>>67249301
If you watch the movie again you might notice that everything he does is horrible and he's a horrible person. Trust me i watched it 2 days ago.
>>
>>67248534
Also cut out punching walls and dropping off the owlship with a superhero fall isntead of a wood ladder etc.
>>
>>67250398
There is not a lot to like if you enjoyed the source material
>>
>>67250223

Like I said, it's not perfect, but the fake alien requires so much extra time to set up that you just don't have in a single movie. As someone before me said, it's tidier in a writing sense to utilize an existing character and existing dilemma (Dr. Manhattan's loyalties) to further the climax of the story. At the very least, we'd have temporary peace for a few generations while everyone focuses on defending against Manhattan's return. And the tenuous nature of that even brings up some really good questions, which I mention here: >>67250283
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTMVOzPPtiw

SHE DID IT ALL FOR THE NOOKIE!
THE NOOKIE!
AND SHE SHOULD, stop. The sex scenes made me feel uncomfortable because my family were around
>>
>>67249612
This. The film ending works the exact same way. Its basically still a flase flag. At that point the alien stuff wouldve just been too much
>>
probably recast silk spectre II
>>
>>67250398

Rorshak, Nite Owl, Comedian, and Dr. Manhattan's casting were all pretty spot on.
The whole sequence in the prison was great.
The part where Nite Owl 1 is murdered was well done imo, with the cutting to him fighting supervillains back in the good old days.
Owl ship was beautiful, even if it was the set piece for the most cringey moment of the movie.
I liked the sound track. Maybe I'm just a pleb.
>>
>>67247476
the whole point of the watchmen comics is the dialouge
>>
>>67251005
the sequence in the prison is literally the worst sequence in the whole movie
>>
>>67247232
I'd make it English
>>
>>67250180
Manhattan is an enemy already and can have a resentment towards and his makers. Furthermore, as it would be clearer and clearer that he fucked up off-world, long held resentments would blossom into chaos. The squid's unpredictability, not to mention psychological impact would keep nations on their toes and in collaboration, exactly because of how unlikely and unpredictable it was. Manhattan, the angry god coming back to finish the job, we know we have no chance, why not murder each other before he arrives? Or at least get out our boiling resentments towards those still in power in America for unleashing this horror upon the world. The Squid: An unknown alien threat to conquer in a world were all of our major cities are still intact enough not to be a crippling financial, cultural and scientific recession after the attack.

>>67250283
Sure, that was the point of the comic where things were set up to make sense. The Manhattan ending is and remains and ill thought out brainfart made by an evil German accent slipping Saturday morning cartoon scientist that had about the same understanding of the source material that Snyder had.
>>
File: Thats_just_your_opinion[1].jpg (29 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Thats_just_your_opinion[1].jpg
29 KB, 300x300
>>67251148
>>
>>67251185
>Manhattan, the angry god coming back to finish the job, we know we have no chance, why not murder each other before he arrives? Or at least get out our boiling resentments towards those still in power in America for unleashing this horror upon the world.

So what you're saying is that there is debate to be had over whether Ozymandias was justified and whether his actions will lead to long-lasting peace or if this emergency collaboration among the nations might dissolve into further mistrust and conflict? BECAUSE THAT'S THE FUCKING POINT. It's meant to be ambiguous. Ozymandias believes that using Dr Manhattan as a scapegoat will unite the world and he has solid reasoning behind that, but there is equally solid reasoning that shows such a peace would not last and it may be a generation, a few years, or maybe even just months before it collapses in on itself and the wars start again.

Your argument against the Dr. Manhattan ending is literally the same as the actual fucking point of it. AND THE SAME THING APPLIES TO THE ALIEN ENDING IN THE COMIC BOOK, TOO! It was INTENTIONALLY written that way!
Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.