[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dear Lord
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: Metropolis.jpg (125 KB, 1000x1500) Image search: [Google]
Metropolis.jpg
125 KB, 1000x1500
I mean, I'm trying /tv/, I'm really fucking trying.
And I get that it's innovative, and the first of its kind, and dated, but holy fuck this is boring.

It's all well and good to appreciate where sci-fi films came from, but can we at least agree that this film has been left long behind by much better sci-fi films since?

The music is great, though... and I'm speaking of the 2010 restoration, by the way.
>>
>>67236966
Then don't watch it
What the fuck is gonna happen?
Will you get a medal for watching the film? Will the /tv/ troopers take you away for not being patrician enough?
Don't like, don't watch.
>>
>>67236966
Pleb
>>
>>67236966
Me and my Asperger brother were able to watch this and appreciate it just fine you ADHD piece of shit.
>>
>>67236966
But why are you trying if you don't like it?
>>
>>67236966
Since it's a new age you should watch only a clip of it on YouTube.

I only watch scenes that have Maria
>>
Metropolis got heavily, and I mean HEAVILY panned by everyone upon release.
It's a bad movie on almost all fronts. People that like it are either pretending or have really shit taste. Bad script, acting, music and cinematography decent, abhorrent political message hamfisting.
It's just innovative and the start of true science fiction. The plus is the movie gave you every good science fiction movie or series of today through inspiration.

The rest is bullshit. Fritz Lang had a great mind but wasn't a very pragmatic man.

Also yes, it's boring, many reviewers at the time didn't finish the film before reviewing it, even. You can watch some scenes instead of the whole thing, much better.
>>
Holy pleb
>>
you people are insane, this is easily up there as one of the best. truly epic storytelling. Watch Intolerance as well to get your mind fucking blown. Silent era epics are better than epics perhaps of any era.
>>
>>67237287
How am I supposed to know if I like it if I haven't tried it?
Also I don't like to turn films off until they're finished. Hate half-assing it.
>>
>babby's first silent 3 hour black and white movie

go watch Birth of a Nation pleb
>>
>>67236966

You're right. It's shit. Patricians on /tv/ keep worshiping it, yet they can't provide another reason than "HUURR DURR first of its kind, MUH Anticipation". That's pretty pathetic, because that movie is really shit. Like intergalactic shit.
>>
>>67237851
Seen it, wasn't a fan of that either. Seen heaps of silent films that I liked though. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, for example, was great.
>>
>>67236966
A lot of the second half is boring, overwrought shit but the first half is top-tier kinography.

>>67237921
Not liking Metropolis is understandable but if you don't like Birth of A Nation you're just a faggot. Again, the first half is way better, but the second half still has a lot going for it there.
>>
>>67237842
If you weren't enjoying a movie but you forced yourself to finish it anyway you really don't have a right to complain. I'm the same way about wanting to finish what I start but I guess I just blame myself when I have a negative experience.
>>
>>67237976
I'll certainly agree that the first halves of both films are very good, but ignoring half a movie, especially the second half (where the setup is supposed to pay off) is just silly.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.