[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some good Lovecraft films? How is the 2008 Cthulhu movie?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 4
File: H.P.-Lovecraft-copy.jpg (133 KB, 288x373) Image search: [Google]
H.P.-Lovecraft-copy.jpg
133 KB, 288x373
What are some good Lovecraft films? How is the 2008 Cthulhu movie? Got pretty shit reviews. Here is what I've seen:
>The Thing
>In the Mouth of Madness
>Both Re-Animators

So yeah, do you guys have any recommendations? It doesn't have to be strictly Lovecraft, I'd accept something that proposes a similar tone.
>>
From Beyond
>>
>>67227111
Hellboy 1
The Mist
Event Horizon
>>
>>67227111
Bloodborne
>>
are the Re-Animator sequels anywhere as good as the first?
>>
>>67227111
Which Cthulhu movie? The Call of Cthulhu or the one named Cthulhu. Cthulhu was Shadow over Innsmouth turned gay. Call of Cthulhu was a dry adaptation.
Mothman Prophecies is a good Lovecraftian movie.
>>
>67227818
Bloodborne is garbage pastiche of Brian Lumley imitating Robert E Howard imitating Lovecraft
>>
>>67227886
Both reanimator movies are great in both the Lovecraftian and the general film sense. Great films, Combes or whatever is incredible.
>>
>>67227886
check out From Beyond and Dagon instead
>>
File: 1437607925654.jpg (65 KB, 432x461) Image search: [Google]
1437607925654.jpg
65 KB, 432x461
>>67227111

the mist

nigga
>>
>>67227889
Yeah Cthulhu, I know the protagonist is gay, but is the film good?

How is Dagon? Should of said I already saw the mist, great film.
>>
>>67228027
>How is Dagon
Good. Based on the same story as the Cthulhu you mentioned. Better adaptation, even with it's flaws.
>>
its a zombie flick but Return of the Living Dead is great and pretty Lovecraftian
>>
>>67228134
No it isn't. Good movie though.
>>
File: micolaugh.jpg (225 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
micolaugh.jpg
225 KB, 800x533
>>67227818
this
can movies even compete
>>
The Last Wave is lovecraftian
>>
>>67228235
Bloodborne is Lovecraft in the way cheeto dust is actual cheese.
>>
http://store.steampowered.com/app/418380/
>>
>>67228269
If you're bringing up games the Penumbra trilogy is Lovecraftian. Darkness Within: Loath Nolder is too. Scratches is Lovecraftian. And obviously CoC Dark Corners of the Earth.
>>
Cast a Deadly Spell
In The Mouth Of Madness
The silent Call of Cthulhu
>>
>>67228356
>Didn't even go to the link
>>
>>67227111
The H P Lovecraft Collection. 5 volumes I think. Volume 1 has Cool Air. Volume 2 has the unaired tv pilot Rough Magik. Most of the rest are amateur films.
>>
>>67228488
I did. It looked like a cutscene to a game.
>>
>>67228602
Out of Mind in volume 3 has that Lovecraft lookalike actor that was good.
>>
>>67227111
I rather think Prince of Darkness is pretty Lovecraftian
>>
>>67228682
It is. It's Call of Cthulhu in miniature.
>>
>>67228704

What the fuck are you talking about
>>
>>67227742
>>67227801
My fucking niggers right here
>>
File: baboon.png (169 KB, 662x768) Image search: [Google]
baboon.png
169 KB, 662x768
ITT: literally every sci-fi horror movie ever is lovecraftian
>>
>>67228772
The dreamers anticipating the dark god's return
The ancient occult book revealing the true history
Army of cultists beckoning his return
>>
>>67228910
I also forgot to add the extraterrestrial origin of the deities.
>>
Lord of Illusions
>>
>>67227818
bloodborne throws out a few homages, like the fishing village, and the great ones, but ultimately its not super lovecraftian.

It's more like brotherhood of the wolf mixed with some light lovecraft influence
>>
>>67227818
>>67228235
>bloodborne
>Lovecraftian

Man you guys are cucked.

>>67227111
The Thing
Midnight Meat Train
Evil Dead 1 (2 is more of a farcical comedy)
In The Mouth of Madness
Reanimator
The Relic
The Faculty
Deep Rising
Virus

And if you can stomach Ben Affleck's poor early acting chops, Phantoms
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fP0MsVr21s
>>
>>67228852
Sometimes not even horror. Forbidden Planet has elements that are lovecraftian. The Krell could be like the Great Race in Shadow out of Time.
>>
>>67229167
Affleck was the bomb in Phantoms
>>
>>67229264
Word, phantoms like a motha-fucka *high-five*
>>
>>67228852
He was ahead of his time. Unless it's like, Dracula 3000 or some shit.
>>
>>67228243
this
>>
There's a lot of Lovecraftian stuff in World of Warcraft.
>>
Take Shelter is Lovecraft-lite

NFR tier desu
>>
>>67228267
I'd say it's fairly Lovecraftian. The whole cult following of these secret old alien monsters is essentially the Call of Cthulhu without the actual awakening of Cthulhu. Also the whole notion of Dreams was huge in Lovecraft as it was in Bloodborne.

The rest of the story is pretty original and not Lovecraftian, though. But it's done extremely well if you ask me.
>>
>>67228376

>>Cast a Deadly Spell

Dat Detective Lovecraft and 20 something Julian Moore

>>In The Mouth Of Madness

Did I ever tell you my favorite color is blue?

>>The silent Call of Cthulhu

That 1920/30s style Lovecraft film society production?
>>
>>67231015
You not only come to understand, implicitly, the motivation and conception of the Great Ones, you also kill at least three(Ebrietas, Moon Presence, Orphan of Kos, and if you're a meanie, Mother Brain)

There's no sense of humanity being overwhelmed by insurmountable and incomprehensible forces of eldritch horror.

It's just Souls-tier, guy kills every "god" and then becomes another piece of the cyclic puzzle.

It's really lazy, desu. DeS remains the best iteration of the franchise.
>>
>>67231229
>There's no sense of humanity being overwhelmed by insurmountable and incomprehensible forces of eldritch horror.
Everyone dies or goes insane by the end of the story.

Also, I'm not saying it's an adaptation of Lovecraft, I'm saying it's heavily inspired by Lovecraft.

>It's really lazy, desu. DeS remains the best iteration of the franchise.
What's lazy about it? Because it's a Souls game where you kill giant monsters? It never claimed to be anything more.
>>
>>67231302
Bloodborne's version of "insanity" is well rooted in the NPCs that hang around and laugh for a bit then say something cryptic schlock that DaS did with its NPCs.

Miyazaki's inspiration, however sincere, was a complete misinterpretation of what makes Lovecraft work "Lovecraftian"

Bloodborne is more akin in narrative thematics to the work of Ashton Smith, a friend of Lovecraft.

The game delivers nothing superior to its predecessors aside from visuals, but even then they become stagnant save for areas of incandescent white.

It's just Miyazaki jerking off to himself
>>
>>67231517
>The game delivers nothing superior to its predecessors aside from visuals,

I thought the gameplay and story was much better than Dark Souls 2. The boss fights were way more memorable.

Again, he's not adapting Lovecraft. It's an original story with Lovecraftian themes. What is your definition of Lovecraftian work? Because he wrote a shit ton of short stories, a lot of varying stuff. The stuff he focused the most on was necromancy, hidden knowledge, ancient creatures, cosmic horrors, etc. I'd say Bloodborne has cosmic horrors, necromancy, ancient creatures and hidden knowledge.

I feel like you hate Bloodborne because it got so much praise. Well deserved praise if you ask me. Maybe retards who never read a single Lovecraft story will play it and say "Wow so this is Lovecraft huh?" Which they're retards. But you'd be stupid to say that it's not heavily inspired by Lovecraft, especially his stories like Call of Cthulhu or the Horror at Red Hook.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.