[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Gattacais so fucking underrated. Watch it anons. It's a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 7
File: image.jpg (292 KB, 1295x1259) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
292 KB, 1295x1259
Gattacais so fucking underrated. Watch it anons.
It's a masterpiece.

Also checked out the directors recent works, I threw up, why is he shit now?

He wrote Truman Show, directed Gattaca and Lord of War but his recent movies are ass shit.

Anyway, Gattaca anons, Gattaca, I swear this is a Top-Tier movie.
>>
It was shit and boring

Also no fap

Jude Lee was shit too

fucking hate this movie I had to watch it at school because my teacher is a hipster faggot.

I didn't understand this shit
>>
>>67218090
fuck off baiter
>>
>>67217940
It was well made but a lot of people didn't understand what they were watching.
Truman Show and Lord of War were shit. I haven't seen the rest of his work.
>>
>>67218175
>It was well made but a lot of people didn't understand what they were watching

are people stupid?

What was hard to understand?

Also what's your own opinion
>>
That scene when they're swimming with the music and shit always makes me cry. Fucking good ass movie. And the shower scene at the end. Fuuuuck
>>
>>67217940
Gattace is highly rated. His other movie S1M0NE is underrated.
>>
>>67217940
The movie came out the exact same day as Titanic.

in other words it was raped and didn't get any Oscar nominations for best cinematography.
>>
>>67218265
>are people stupid?
Yes.
>What was hard to understand?
We've had lengthy threads about it here before. Some amount of people think it was about genetic engineering, when it was about eugenic embryo selection and genetic discrimination.
Also some people think the main character really does have the heart problem they pegged him for as a baby - but this was just a genetic indicator, later in the argument with his father he points out they don't know that he has a heart condition. This gets reinforced because of a treadmill scene later, people think he's having a heart attack when he's just exerted.

I liked it, saw it in a theater as a kid and again on tape in high school, haven't in the last decade though.
>>
Ethan Hawke's best acting performance in my opinion.

Also amazing cinematography.
>>
Watched it freshman year biology I liked it alot.
>>
It's a great sci-fi suspense hide and seek movie.

People think it's a movie about genetics but it's simply about a guy that breaks the rules by disguising himself as another guy to get to his goals.
>>
Gattaca's not really underrated. it's underviewed. the consensus of everyone who watches it is that it's really damn good.
>>
I thought the whole "Dude no novody will notice you don't look like Jude Law" was pretty stupid.

Other than that I thought the movie was great.
>>
>>67218579
I'd say it's more about the triumph of will. Something genetics can't determine.
>>
>>67218619
>Gattaca's not really underrated. it's underviewed.
This

It released with Titanic so it went under radar.

It's a shame but I think it will always stay underviewed until some famous millenial celebrity starts hyping it up for normfags.
>>
>>67218688
based James Cameraman fucked every movie in the mid 90s
>>
I heard the marketing team was very low on budget so they didn't do shit to promote the film.
>>
>>67217940
Happens to many directors.

Look at Brian DePalma, Francis Ford Coppola, David Lynch, George Lucas, David Cronenberg, Takeshi Kitano.

they are all garbage now.
>>
>>67218917
Kitano is not Garbage you faggot.

Outrage was alright.
>>
anyone else see asac shrader's cameo in this?
>>
>>67218333
>tfw my little brother is at least 10cm taller and much more handsome than me

Powerful scene for me
>>
>>67217940
It's a great concept but the movie is not a masterpiece in any sense.
>>
>>67217940
Uma Thurman was Waifu material in that movie
>>
>>67219021
>10cm taller

How the fuck does that even happen? You got cucked by the genes
>>
>>67218175
>Truman Show and Lord of War were shit
low test
>>
>>67219403
They were.
>>
>>67218090
underage b&
>>
>>67218579
>but it's simply about a guy that breaks the rules

lolno. The protagonist is the biggest conformist in that entire movie. By his succeeding he is approving this society more than anyone else.
>>
>>67218090
> I didn't understand this shit

I know this is b8, but do people actually think this is legitimate criticism?
>>
File: uma.jpg (142 KB, 687x596) Image search: [Google]
uma.jpg
142 KB, 687x596
>>67219080

this was her peak
>>
>>67218545
the biology in it is fucking bullshit though
>>
File: gattaca45.png (952 KB, 1500x1071) Image search: [Google]
gattaca45.png
952 KB, 1500x1071
>>67218626

he only made it because the doctor helped him

he knew from the beginning
>>
>>67219637
She looks so much better in Nymphomaniac
>>
>>67219662
Except not.
>>
>>67217940
Unfortunate there are too many teenagers here nowadays. Most of /tv/ wouldn't really understand the significance of this movie. Even if you shoved the subtle symbolism down their throats their minds would simply refuse to grasp the high intellectual concepts presented by this work of art. Gattaca shall always live and prosper in my heart.
>>
>>67217940

>Gattaca is so fucking underrated

>Implying

Every one of you faggots laps this shit up like your father's cum off the bathroom floor, don't get me wrong, it's not a bad movie, but it's definitely not underrated.
>>
>>67217940
>It's a masterpiece
A surefire way to spot a pleb posing as a patrician.
It's a good sci-fi, but a masterpiece it is not.
What are you gonna' say next, that Children of Men is just SO DEEP DUDE? or maybe Full Metal Jacket is a masterpiece because le funny Sgt. Hartman?
Fuck off.
>>
File: tips hat.png (352 KB, 631x479) Image search: [Google]
tips hat.png
352 KB, 631x479
>>67219833
>>
Gattaca was a rip-off of Chris Nolan's Memento.
>>
>>67220122
Go watch the movie. It's great.
>>
Gattaca is a great movie but not a masterpiece.

I could not understand Jude Law's character to be honest.

Why did he do all this for Ethan Hawke?
>>
>>67219833
Gattaca has many admirable qualities, but subtlety is not one of them. It is quite straightforward.
>>
>>67219833
It's not that complex. Nor is it super relevant today or back then in terms of its themes.
>>
>there are people who saw the swimming race scene and still thought it's a movie about genes and not the characters
>>
It's one of the most realistic sci-fi films ever made.

>Was voted the most accurate sci-fi film ever made by the scientists at NASA

The story was simple but I liked the tension and characters a lot.
It reminded me to greek mythology.
>>
>>67220443
definitelya character driven movie.
The gene stuff is just a plot device.

Now imagine if Ass Nolan had directed this movie, it would have become a clusterfuck of genes and deep science nonsense.
>>
File: image.jpg (21 KB, 650x280) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
21 KB, 650x280
Ethan Hawke fell in live with Uma Thurman during the production.

Me too.

Her acting was very subtie but I thought it was her best performance.
>>
DUDE ITS FINE TO CHEAT AND SCAM BECAUSE HUMAN SPIRIT OF SOME SHIT LMAO

This movie was retarded
>>
>>67219887
>>67220294
>>67220312
Thanks for proving my point
>>
>>67220650
Not only that, but this guy has a heart condition that could kill him at any moment, yet he wants to go on an important space mission where lives could depend upon him.
>>
>>67220709
>non-argument
>>
>>67220740
Yeah, this shit is the most retarded part of the whole film. I'd understand if he was unjustly repressed in any other career path because of his genetic predisposition to die young, but its a fucking space program, the one place where you DO need ubermensch genes to qualify. This asshole endangers fuckload of people on a multibillion dollars worth mission because MUH DREAM. Fuck this cunt
>>
Just because you disagree with the character doesn't make the movie retarded.

>>67220740
Nobody ever said that he was a good person.

The movie was about one's selfish desires and how far one would go for it.

It was interesting because it also made me believe the entire time that Ethan Hawke killed the director.

He was obsessed and he made it.
>>
>>67218090
Why would a hipster show this to anyone? I thought the movie had a pretty clear pro-life message.
>>
>>67220838
>>67220740
>>67220650
His character was obviously obsessed and crazy and didn't give a fuck.

But that doesn't make the movie bad you faggot.

The main character doesn't have to be a hero.
>>
>>67220869
It wasn't a bad movie all things considered, but they presented him as being this noble guy overcoming adversity, when actually he was being selfish as fuck.

2bh I was expecting him to fall over and die before he could board the spacecraft, but he didn't
>>
>>67220940
Watch Nightcrawler.

It's the same thing only the character is much more evil but he still gets to his goal by manipulating and cheating society.

You still don't understand that movies can have evil characters and glorify them. Watch Natural Born Killers and Nightcrawler.
>>
File: 350_5.jpg (153 KB, 728x409) Image search: [Google]
350_5.jpg
153 KB, 728x409
Manlets when will they learn.
>>
>>67221010
Gattaca>Nightcrawler

both are shit though

I hate pretentious Chris Nolan movies.
I assume Gattaca was written by Nolan.
>>
>>67220740
>>67220838
He didn't have a heart condition. He had a genetic marker that indicated a heart condition. That doesn't mean one would ever actually develop, it just means he was likelier to develop one. We see him growing up being put down by his family about watching his heart and his answer is there's no proof he has a heart condition.
>>
>>67220740
>Everyone always thinks he has an actual heart condition.

the doctor said hes genes made a heart condition more likely, not guaranteed.
>>
>>67221084
Jude Law was like DUDE LMA YOU FOR REAL?
>>
File: 1413131694964.gif (982 KB, 320x287) Image search: [Google]
1413131694964.gif
982 KB, 320x287
>>67221089
this must be bait
>>
>>67221084
I would do that if I could afford it not gonna lie
>>
>>67220740
>>67220838

Well no not really he was a one man mission right? he endangered no ones life except his own and he was living at a time where space launches were conducted all day long right? He watched them launch every day when he was a cleaner?
>>
>>67221010
But the tone was all wrong in Gattaca, there was nothing to suggest we were meant to think of him as evil.
>>
>>67221118
99.9% though

He only had 1% chance
>>
>>67221108
His heart was weak, he was puking his guts out after passing a simple threadmill test.
>>
>>67221161
>99,9%
>1%
>>
>>67220273
He was genetically bred to be a top athlete but lost his chance because of a freak accident anyways. He understood that it didn't matter how you were born as long as you have the drive to succeed.
>>
>>67221182
>ive never been dehydrated before.

try getting off your bed and actually pushing yourself.
>>
>>67221150
the movie was from Ethan Hawke's character's point of view. Remember his voice over when he was telling his story?
you should rewatch it.
>>
>>67221217
It was a suicide attempt, he had everything needed to succeed besides the most important thing, the will.
>>
>>67221182
It wasn't, he was impersonating an olympic runner and doing the treadmill test at that level with a disguised heart-reading. When that disguise fell his heart rate was elevated, but steady. He collapsed from exhaustion which is what any normal person would have done in the same situation.
>>
>sir, would you like your child to have amazing genes, perfect health, and amazing talents
>no, we're old-fashioned dumbfucks, and we want one of our kids to be born of looooove
I lost it at this scene. If I were Vincent I would've murdered these shits for fucking my life up
>>
>>67221161
It was only a prediction, he didn't have the condition. It could have been a million to one and it wouldn't matter, because he was the lucky one. But everyone was making the judgment calls about him because of his genes.
Also he was supposed to be dead by the time the story takes place.
>>
>>67220273
Jude Law was suicidal from the beginning.

He just thought to do something of his name and for this poor guy before he kill himself.
>>
>>67221182
he literally one of the best candidates at gattaca. everyone else a shit compared to based vincent.

notice how everyone is constantly working his shaft about his " not a single mistake in one million key strokes" etc.
>>
>>67221271
THIS. FUCKING THIS.

Is it so fucking hard people?
>>
>“we have to ensure that people are meeting their potential.”
>“And exceeding it?”
>“No one exceeds his potential.”
>“If he did?”
>“It would mean that we did not accurately gage his potential in the first place.”
Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.