[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Well that was disappointing. Everything felt pretty anticlimactic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: maxresdefault.jpg (139 KB, 1419x943) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
139 KB, 1419x943
Well that was disappointing. Everything felt pretty anticlimactic and both characters and subplots felt pretty undeveloped, though maybe I'm 2fuckingdumb to understand this movie or whatever. What did you guys think?
>>
>>67155034
I agree with all your points. I get the Coen's wanted to make a movie composed of semi-vignettes focusing on 1950s Hollywood, strung along by a central story but I would have preferred a stronger central narrative. Could have been a classic Coen bros film but instead it was one of their more forgettable ones. The humour and production design was solid though
>>
trailer spoiled the only twist
>>
>>67157158
you knew Brad Whitlock was kidnapped by Communists? and that Channing Tatum was in on it?
>>
I agree, but I really enjoyed it. Just felt like a love letter to older movies. Hate to say it but it was sort of...comfy.
>>
Coens gritty dramas > Coens "comedies"
>>
>>67157188
You fucking nigger, dont spoil it without tags.
>>
It was great, inside llewyn davis was a piece of shit tho
>>
>>67157188
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMqeoW3XRa0
>2:04
>channing tatum name
>channing tatum saluting a russian submarine
>>
>>67157259
from >>67157354
trailer

"this is a drama. a real drama" out of context but still
>>
File: Hail-Caesar-trailer.png (323 KB, 1440x668) Image search: [Google]
Hail-Caesar-trailer.png
323 KB, 1440x668
>>67155034
Hail Caesar is actually the Coens' most incisive, philosophical, and angriest movie ever. Definitely since A Serious Man. The movie essentially reveals that organized religion has been replaced by the entertainment industry as "opium for the masses". The scene where all the religious leaders are squabbling only to briefly put aside their differences when they hear dignified A-lister Brad Whitlock will star in the religious movie and in unison agree that it will be a great performance at least. The subplot with Scarlett Johannson putting her bastard child up for adoption and re-adoption; Mannix works his ass off to arrange this because the public would not be able to handle the truth, so he creates a fiction that they will swallow like one of the many narratives they churn out. There are many other scenes that allude to this, as well as the incredible political undertones: In the most action-packed scene of the movie, self-starter "Teddy Roosevelt capitalist" Mannix slaps the Christ out of the naive idiot Brad Whitlock, who spent one night with the scheming intellectual Communists, and suddenly thinks he's an expert on class struggle. The movie's performances were mostly perfect (though I question Frances McDormand's appearance as necessary). The two musical sequences were wonderful. The photography was brilliant in that we will never see shots like that again. It's a Coen Brothers movie that many won't appreciate and even fewer will understand.
>>
HEY GUY'S WE GOT SCARLET JOHANSON AND JONAH HILL
>johanson gets 2 scenes
>hill gets 1 scene
>a third of his lines are in the trailer
>>
>>67157354
Seeing the trailer it looked like a set for a movie within the movie
>>
>>67157469
>DIVINE PRESENCE TO BE SHOT
>>
File: implfire.gif (2 MB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
implfire.gif
2 MB, 300x168
>>67157505
>a big name movie star shown saluting the reds
>50's-60's Hollywood
>just after Trumbo

also the navy uniform dance scene was way more "this is on a set" and you can only have one unless the plot of the movie within the movie was spy-fiction
>>
>>67157594
It could have easily been the same movie. You didn't know. You're only using the benefit of hindsight to further your opinion.
>>
>>67157621
no. during the movie it became super obvious the moment the money was dropped off
>>
>>67157657
Okay, so you called it while watching the movie. I thought you were saying you called it while watching the trailer. My mistake.
>>
>>67155034
Saw it with my dad, we enjoyed ourselves but we're big fans of the Cohens. It's decent, far from their best work, even in recent years. But I wasn't expecting much. I had a few laughs. You're right about the subplots, the movie definitely spreads itself a bit thin. But it gets its point across just the same.
>>
>>67157711
yeah. twist can be spoiled at any time before the twist is revealed
in the movie the twist is revealed at the dinner
>>
>>67157866
which happened to be when the twist was revealed? right? Channing Tatum was revealed to be working with the Commies the moment he is shown with the briefcase.
>>
>>67157887
you just said exactly what i said
i saw it coming from when he put the briefcase behind the phone and then watched channing tatum, a character who i knew would eventually be rowed to a commie sub with the commie's dog, dance
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.