[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is Taxi Driver considered such a fantastic movie? I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1
File: taxi.jpg (114 KB, 630x1200) Image search: [Google]
taxi.jpg
114 KB, 630x1200
Why is Taxi Driver considered such a fantastic movie?
I'm really curious as to why everyone thinks this movie is so great, because i found it really mediocre, and since everyone seems to love it so much i feel as though i just don't 'get it'.
>>
>>67152715
you don't get it. your opinion sucks.

now fuck off
>>
>>67152715
Why do you make these threads everyday?
>>
>>67153395
>you just don't get it

when will this meme end?
>>
>>67152715
Well, one part of it is Travis' character and De Niro's performance. He is very immature and socially challenged and behaves like an edgy kid (practices moves in front of a mirror) but he wants to do the "right thing".

And in the end, after the hellish massacre (great scene, btw), the papers pronounce him a hero. A hero of his own stupidity, if you will.

Other than that it's the great atmoshphere, music, Jodie Foster's and Harvey Keitel's charater, the legendary "You talkin' to me", etc.

In fact, I'm pretty baffled at how anyone can not see why this is a great movie.
>>
>>67152715
whether you liked it or not, it was highly influential in its time. have fun having a dissenting opinion, no one gives a fuck and Bickle doesn't suffer any from it.
>>
>OP makes this same Taxi Driver thread again
>fuck off
>>
Warner-Columbia?
>>
>>67152715
people buy into it completely because of the toughguy stuff.

I don't think the film really works on the same level because we KNOW that DeNiro, a movie star isn't going to assassinate the Presidential Candidate. The movie relies heavily on setting it up like he might do that and it simply doesn't produce any suspense because he's not an unknown in the same way he probably was on the film's release.

Plus the depiction of child prostitution is completely toothless and sanitized. The pimps are just a convenient group of "bad guys" for our hero to redeem himself against.
>>
>>67153703

>the toughguy stuff

I think it's more than a little ironic in this move. Travis is first and foremost a very mentally disturbed individual.
>>
>>67153703
i don't follow your second point, are you saying the assassination attempt scene doesn't work because Travis is played by Robert De Niro, who we know hasn't shot any presidential candidates?
>>
>>67153517
It will end when you get it.
>>
>>67152715
People identify with Travis' loneliness.
>>
>>67153703
>The pimps are just a convenient group of "bad guys" for our hero to redeem himself against.

That's the point. The whole movie is from Travis's perspective. We know that Iris doesn't feel like she needs to be rescued, but Travis sees himself as a character sort of like Ethan Edwards from The Searchers.
>>
>>67153556
>And in the end, after the hellish massacre (great scene, btw), the papers pronounce him a hero. A hero of his own stupidity, if you will.

This is all in his head. He fantasized all of that including the botched assassination on Palatine.
>>
>>67152715
It's like the edge go-to reddit film that people will bring up to sound like they actually know anything about film.
>>
>>67155928
Schrader and Scorsese said the ending is not a dream. It's real life and it shows Bickle is a time bomb and the next time he'll not be labeled as a hero.
>>
>>67156033
I don't care what they say. It was fantasy.
>>
>>67155928
lol I think you're reading a little too much into it that.
>>
>>67156216
It was fantasy.
>>
>>67155928
when will this meme end
>>
>Why is Taxi Driver considered such a fantastic movie?

I personally think that those who think Taxi Driver is good are split into two parties, those who enjoy the film for it's narrative, cinematography and acting. The others are those who identify with Travis' feelings and emotions, why do you think Taxi Driver is so liked on 4chan? Because we all can identify with nogf feels.

It's not as autistic as the "le Driver/Rust is just like me" meme, because Bickle's character is a mentally ill outcast who has no idea how to make meaningful social interactions much like most of the people here.
>>
>>67153703
You didn't get it.
>>
>>67158640
when will the "4chan users are weird" meme die. I feel like at this point this site is just a mainstream part of the internet and the average user is, well, average.
>>
>>67158758
Speak for yourself normie
>>
Schrader said that he believes Bickle is a hero and Scorsese said he believes Bickle was 'intimidating'.

Its clear that the people most closely associated with the movie believe that Bickle is a bad ass hero.

Movies are open to interpretation though so you're welcome to believe that Bickle is a hero or you can believe that Bickle is a loon. Its up to you.
>>
>>67158784
you know I'm right. most people have been more or less normal since /soc/ was implemented. And /b/ has always been average teenagers with edgy tendencies.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.