[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just ordered this off Amazon for some Easter viewing. What's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3
File: Thepassionposterface-1-.jpg (45 KB, 300x450) Image search: [Google]
Thepassionposterface-1-.jpg
45 KB, 300x450
I just ordered this off Amazon for some Easter viewing. What's /tv/'s opinion of it?
>>
Caviezel's performance as Jesus is one of the greatest examples of acting in cinematic history.
>>
It's on Netflix, retard.
>>
>>67152023
>everybody on earth has Netflix
>>
>>67152023
Netflix is good for background noise, but horrible for actually appreciating the movies.
>>
it's based as fuck

weird mix of historical, exploitation, and drama.
>>
File: Jesus_of_nazareth.jpg (43 KB, 263x475) Image search: [Google]
Jesus_of_nazareth.jpg
43 KB, 263x475
>>67151873
It's okay, but focuses too much on the torture. Pic related is the best depiction of Jesus in cinematic history.
>>
I saw it in theaters when I was eleven. After it was over I didn't speak for about an hour, then cried like a bitch for another hour. I don't know why my parents took me to see that
>>
>>67152788
>it focuses too much on the torture
you realize "the passion" is the common term for the final hours of christ's earthly life right
also irl passion plays can last for 3 days (nonstop), all the torture taking hours

>you will never have an 8 hour version of Gibson's The Passion
>>
>>67152898
Are you Catholic?
>>
http://www.theasc.com/magazine/mar04/cover/index.html

Read this interview with Gibson's cinematographer. It's really fascinating if you want an in-depth look at the composition and staging of the film.

>The shots that single out characters in the crowds - especially as Christ is carrying the cross along the Via Dolorosa, when you cut away to little tableau reactions - are highly individualized. There's no sense that these are generic crowds. Caravaggio was infamous for going out in the streets and casting urchins, prostitutes and beggars to play the saints in his paintings. His models weren't idealized people, they were very specific faces. I had the same feeling about the actors in this film.
>>
>>67152955
I was baptized catholic but by that age, my parents had stopped really practicing. We never went to church or anything. I remember them looking really horrified and apologetic when after an hour of shocked silence I just started sobbing. I just remember thinking, "why? Why did they have to do that to him?"
>>
>>67152059
huh?
>>
>>67153070
Streaming quality is worse than Blu-Ray quality.
>>
>>67153080
Fuck off, Goldstein.
>>
>>67153122
I agree, that was a bit too insincere and smug so I am fucking off.
>>
>>67153045
No offense. Your parents are dumb.
>let's take a child to this r rated torture movie
>>
>>67153083
Get better internet
>>
>>67153347
Well, as long as you know.
>>
>>67151873
atheist here.

it's a good, sincere attempt to do a realist version of the Passion. I liked it more than Apocalypto and Braveheart, even though the second is a more engaging story.
>>
>>67153398
None taken. I don't think they knew what we were getting into and you could tell they regretted it. I'm still too afraid to watch the movie again
>>
>>67152898
I saw it when i was young to. maybe 13 or so.

it didnt really scare me or anything. I think the most shocking things were a hanging scene which was sort of jump scare-y, or at least i remember it that way, and the flagellation with skin bits ripping off his back, which was hardcore. but aside from that I remember thinking it was ok I guess. As ok as a kid can really feel about a movie about Jesus. Not sure why we went to see it either. probably because it was a Mel Gibson film and the idea of the whole thing being in latin was cool and 'authentic"
>>
File: jimCaviezel3.jpg (103 KB, 555x416) Image search: [Google]
jimCaviezel3.jpg
103 KB, 555x416
>struck by lightning
>catch serious diseases including dysentery
>career is dead after this movie
>>
>>67151873
Cavezial did not get the recognition he deserved
>>
>>67154043
That's the price he had to pay to take the role, and he even acknowledges it
>>
>>67153536
typical atheist revelling in the blood and suffering of religious folk.

>>>/r/atheism
>>
>>67154283
Let's not start that. This is a nice thread so far.
>>
It proves how great a director Mel is. Apocalypto is even better but Passion is pretty special. Caviezel essentially had to do what Leo did for half of the Revenant and he was infinitely better and received nowhere near enough acclaim.

Stunning cinematography and pacing too.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.