[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was reading about Sam Peckinpah and he seems pretty based. Haven't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4
File: Sam-Peckinpah.jpg (108 KB, 1200x765) Image search: [Google]
Sam-Peckinpah.jpg
108 KB, 1200x765
Was reading about Sam Peckinpah and he seems pretty based. Haven't seen any of his flicks, where should I start?
>>
Pretty middling director that got some sort of revisionist fame after action films became mainstream (contrarians would praise his 'anti-action' films and his attitude despite his films being middling)

Start chronologically like with any director.
>>
>>67151701
He is the most badass director ever. Wild Bunch and Straw Dogs are his best (real top 10 ever material, imo).
>>
>>67151701
Wild Bunch
Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia
Straw Dogs
Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid
Cable Hogue

in that order.
>>
WILD BUNCH
I
L
D

B
U
N
C
H
>>
>>67151735
stop saying middling.
>>
>>67152824
>>67152870
>>67152919

Feel kind of bad how he's most remembered for a film that he didn't want people to like.

An artist can be ok with failing financially, but to fail artistically must be pretty crushing.
>>
>>67151735
He's a great director, you pleb.
>>
>>67151701
>reading about a director before watching any movie by him
>>67151735
>start chronologically like with any director

This is already the worst Peckinpah thread I've ever seen.
>you will never be as suave as the suave rapist in Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia
>>
>>67152870
You forgot Cross Of Iron
>>
File: straw-dogs-poster-1.jpg (269 KB, 1020x1441) Image search: [Google]
straw-dogs-poster-1.jpg
269 KB, 1020x1441
>>67151701
Straw Dogs is a 10/10 masterpiece. Start with that.
>>
>>67153125
Amen brother. It's the best fucking movie ever!
>>
>>67152870
>not recommending The Getaway or Cross of Iron
Fuck you.
>>
>>67151735
>Start chronologically like with any director.
Nice /mu/ meme. Countless directors didn't become good until they had spent years honing their craft by making films.
>>
>>67153381
It's a starter kit sperg, calm down.
>>
>>67153292
I wouldn't go quite that far but it's an incredible film. I'm shocked it isn't more widely known.
>>
>>67153292
Which Peckinpah films would you recommend? I've watched Straw Dogs and The Wild Bunch and I liked Straw Dogs a lot more than The Wild Bunch.
>>
>>67153592
And you OBVIOUSLY want to see them develop you fucking pleb.

Goddamn kjill yourself.

>>67153062
mediocre to bad tbqh.
>>
>>67151735
>middling
It's an anon just learned a new buzzword episode.
>>
>>67153592
If you're going to make it a point to watch someone's filmography, watch it in order you belligerent piece of shit. The entire point of studying someone's work like that is to follow their progression and watch as they hone shit up.
>>
Alfredo Garcia, Cross of Iron and Straw Dogs are his best tbqfhwy familia
>>
The Getaway is a really damn good pre-80's action film. Doesn't have the artistic ambitions of Straw Dogs or the Wild Bunch, but it's worthy entertainment.
>>
>>67155426
Peckinpah is so up and down this doesn't really work for him. Osterman weekend and killer elite are garbage, and even if at his peak he would throw in trash like Convoy or Junior Bonner. He is one director it's best to cherry pick
>>
File: 1444865019528.gif (1 MB, 400x220) Image search: [Google]
1444865019528.gif
1 MB, 400x220
Shut the fuck up /tv/.

Tell me about John Frankenheimer now.
>>
>>67157827
uninteresting, even more so than peckinpah which managed to make one interesting film
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.