[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If you had to introduce someone to It's Always Sunny, what
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 8
File: 960.jpg (123 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
960.jpg
123 KB, 960x540
If you had to introduce someone to It's Always Sunny, what episode would you show them? Would you suggest they work from the beginning, or show them a classic episode and let them see it at it's best before starting anew?

also /sunny/ general
favourite episode of new season
character rankings
best one off character
best running joke
etc
>>
>>67141328
Franks Little Beauties or anything with Uncle Jack
>>
Start from the beginning stupid.
>>
File: 1426956143164.png (70 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
1426956143164.png
70 KB, 1200x800
>>67141328
>BEST EPISODE OF SUNNY ?

>WORST EPISODE OF SUNNY ?

GOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGO
>>
>>67141474
>start from the beginning

you mean when their characters barely existed, there's no frank, dee is totally different and its generally less funny?
>>
Season 1 is short as hell so it hardly matters.
>>
>>67141864
>>67141474
These guys get it.
It's one of the few shows that gets better in the later seasons. You sacrifice some of the storyline, but starting in the middle is preferable.
>>
The Gang Finds a Dumpster Baby gives the best general impression of what the show is about and what all the characters are like.

Great Recession or The Gang Buys a Boat are good choices too.
>>
The one where Dennis and Dee become crack addicts
>>
>>67141490
>Best
Mac and Charlie Die

>Worst
Mac Day
The Gang Beats Boggs
Frank Falls Out The Window
>>
DENNIS system
>>
>>67141864
>You mean when the characters were people

There's nothing wrong with Season 1. It is way, way better than anything after season 5.
>>
>>67142052
This.

Also, Human Meat, and Hundred Dollar baby.
>>
>>67141328

The gang buys a boat

It basically exemplifies dennis' character better than any other episode
>>
>>67142118
And it's great to learn dance moves from
>>
>>67141328
"The Gang Dines Out"
https://youtu.be/_tAYhl4wLB4

Showed this to my new roommate when we got home from barhopping. After that, he started with season 2 and worked his way up
>>
>>67141490
>Best
The Gang Hits The road

>Worst
Frank's Brother
>>
>>67142111
hey man, i love season 1, but i'd hardly recommend starting with it. ideally i'd show someone a few episodes here and there so they get the general feel and get to know some of the highlights before starting at the beginning. should someone watch season 1 of the simpsons or just 3-8?
>>
>>67142086
I got my girlfriend into Its always Sunny with the Gang beats Boggs...
>>
>>67142288
Congratulations, you both have shit taste and are meant for each other
>>
>>67142086
Dude none of those episodes would be the worst. Mac Day has Country Mac, the Gang Beats Boggs is mediocre and Frank Falls Out The Window is a weird throwback episode but by no means the worst. I was thinking more Franks Brother or Kitten Mittens.
>>
>>67141328
The Gang Buys a Boat

Mac Bangs Dennis' Mom

The Gang Goes to the Jersey Shore

The Gang Dances Their Asses Off

Sweet Dee's Dating a Retarded Person

Any episode with the McPoyle family
>>
>>67142302
All of the throwback episodes are worse than anything else. Not only are they fuck awful now, but they're going to age like garbage too since people who watch the series after it ends won't have years of nostalgia between the earlier episodes and the later, it will be a throwback to something they just watched a few days ago or something. Good luck maintaining your legacy after the show stops airing with that bullshit. At least Frank's Brother can stand on its own despite how awful it is.
>>
>>67142302
What was funny about Country Mac? I despise when television shows have on c-list celebrities that aren't funny to play le eccentric long lost relative. It's the absolute worst. He had no chemistry with the cast and everything he did was unfunny. The episode is total garbage.

Frank Falls Out The Window is embarrassing to watch as a longtime fan, you can barely call it an episode, it's just regurgitating old jokes without any type of twist to it whatsoever. It's as lazy as I've ever seen the show get.

Frank's Brother is a nice scapegoat and all to hate because it's so different. But at least that episode tried something new, that makes it way more respectable than some of the absolute shit episodes we've seen in the last couple of years.
>>
>>67142356
the gang dances their asses off and the gang buys a boat are pretty great
>>
>>67141328
Ep 1.
Not the best episode, but easily good enough to hook a viewer. And if they don't like it, they'll probably not like the show, or at least not the best episodes.
>>
>>67141328
Sweet Dee Has a Heart Attack
>>
>>67142391
Country Mac was great to see how Mac could be if he wasn't all bluster: if he came out as gay, the gang would respect him, if he actually tried to do badass stuff, the gang would love it, if he was less bible-thumping and more 'god is loving', the gang would get into it. it was a great character episode for mac, it wasn't about the fucking actor who played him
>>
File: image_0.gif (1 MB, 167x170) Image search: [Google]
image_0.gif
1 MB, 167x170
>>67142298
>>
The Gang Hits the Slopes is the worst piece of shit in recent memory, rehash episodes aside. It didn't even feel like Sunny, it was like a completely different show. "le wacky 80s movie parody xD unnecessarily explicit sex scenes xD" what a pile of fucking garbage. It honestly felt more like an episode of South Park, except the episode of South Park that parodies skiing movies was actually good.
>>
>>67141328
first episode i watched was the gang gives back, enough to hook me I guess
>>
>>67142460
That episode has the subtlety of a 300 pound tumblr user.

It was a terrible character episode for Mac, and only served to further remove any nuances to the character, in replacement of "he's gay!" jokes.

terrible, take a lap.
>>
>>67142517
Yeah that episode was fucking weird and lame and lazy as hell. You know a show has gone to shit when they don't care to even justify the premise of their episodes. ITS IRONICALLY BAD, GUYS.. HAHA!

>DID YOU CUM IN MY BURRITO!!!?

Felt like I was watching an Adam Sandler movie.
>>
>everyone on /tv/ hates Frank's Brother

W-why ;-;
>>
>>67142620
i don't think it needed to be subtle at all, the show has moved so far in characterization that nothing the gang does is subtle in the slightest. and if anything it piled on the notion that all he really needs is acknowledgement and appreciation for what he tries, since he only really seems to put on so much 'badass' for the gang at this point (for the rec i hate the 'mac is gay' jokes, it stopped being funny the less subliminal they got, and if he actually reverts to denying it in season 12 i might drop the show)
>>
>it's a /tv/ glorifies it's always edgy in philamemeia episode
>>
https://youtu.be/tOomDM9iBWU?t=85
>>
>>67142706
I'm really hoping they just openly call him a faggot next season
>>
>>67142706
>flanderization is part of the joke!!!!
So you're one of those, huh? There's a middle ground between the relatively bland characters that the gang were in season 1 and the caricatures that they currently are and that middle ground was seasons 3-7. There's no need to act like the show hasn't shit the bed and that the characters going to shit is all part of the point of the show. It's just a flat out drop in quality.
>>
File: sunny hands.jpg (56 KB, 1000x563) Image search: [Google]
sunny hands.jpg
56 KB, 1000x563
Something from the earlier season. The later ones build too much on info you'd have to know before.
>>
>>67142460
Agreed. Mac Day was one of the better episodes of the last couple seasons.
>>
The Phillies game one

It's the most normalfag one I can think of
>>
>>67142825
i don't know if it's part of the joke, as much as it is a rationalization of a show running for so long, but even the writers seem to acknowledge it and work it into the scripts until it seems canon that the gang are changing as people, but for the worst. we saw the episode where charlie and dee break away from the gang and grow as people, supporting each other and even having feelings for another. the fact that the gang is in this self-destructive yet symbiotic collective relationship that strengthens the group while ruining the individual feels like part of the point, i wouldn't call it the joke. i agree the show has dipped in quality, but i still think it's great while i would think the earlier seasons were flawless.

u feel?
>>
>>67142758
>not watching the entire clip
The juxtaposition makes it better.
>>
i have a genuine question, why does the gang beat boggs get such a bad rap? i love that episode. in fact when i go on a road trip that's usually the first episode i play
>>
>>67142825
>middle ground was season 3-7

I was with you until that. Season 7 was a response to the poor reception of Season 6. Season 7 is in no way a middle ground and was the starting process of the flanderization. I would still say that season 7 is great and does the characters 10 times better than the following seasons. But it was the start and it was very, very obvious that it was watching it week by week.
>>
>>67143849
It felt like a classic "We've been on the air too long" episode.

I hate it when a premise is forced into the show for the sake of comedic hijinks. Like they couldn't bother setting anything up because it'd be too much work. The episode also doesn't make any sense, we're just supposed to along with it because it's a great excuse for the funnies. I feel the same way about the family fight episode.

Compare Boggs to Gang Hits The Road, which is essentially built around the building up of this road trip, it feels like we're going through something with the gang. Boggs just puts us right into the situation and expects us to relate to it.

All sitcoms eventually become guilty of this, as they go on, they become less interested in writing a show and more interested in getting to the jokes.
>>
>>67144159
thank you for that response, and now i can see what you mean. but the jokes in it were great. how charlie hits the call button and tells the flight attendant "no, that's my guy" and how they keep reminding mac that he lost the chugging contest. and the ate rum and cokes.. the jokes were funny but now i can see what people mean about it. cheers
>>
>>67144159
While I get the points you've made, I feel like the difference between Boggs and Hits the Road is the premise. The gang does this thing that happens on a plane, vs the gang tries and fails to organize a road trip. I don't think Boggs is great but for it to have the negative rep it does doesn't sit with me.
The situation that gets them to the Boggs event wouldn't have been as entertaining, considering how it can be explained with a quick aside from Charlie (or Dennis? I honestly don't remember), if the point of a show is to entertain then why bother having a set-up that isn't entertaining? Hits the Road works because it's about them failing to actually do a road trip, so seeing them have the idea and start organizing it would be shitty. That's why we start on the morning with them trying to leave before Dee gets there; it starts being funny when we learn they're trying to leave without her and the comedy starts from there.
We didn't need that much of a set up to the Boggs episode outside of 'the gang are trying to drink a tonne on a flight', so it works in isolation. Again, I don't think it's great, but I don't think it's as awful as it's reputation declares.
>>
>>67141410
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tin3VxyUqI
>>
Jersey Shore was pretty epic episode. Angel dust, Ecstasy, rum ham, spray tan guidos, dee getting her cornrows ripped out
>>
>>67144598
homeless sex under the boardwalk
>>
That one where Mac and Charlie realise what their Christmases were really like
>>
>>67144464
>point of a show is to entertain then why bother having a set-up that isn't entertaining?

There-in lies the problems of sitcoms that have been on the air for too long. It's supposed to be a tv show after all, what made the characters endearing and storylines memorable in the first place was part of the writing and how it gets to those places. When your episodes are all premise and no story I quickly lose interest, because it's no longer relatable. It feels like I'm being force-fed.

But that isn't the only issue with this episode, I can excuse those kinds of episodes if the material winds up being funny. The episode just simply does not make any sense, the fact that they can just keep doing what they're doing on the plane without repercussions is weird. Sunny certainly isn't the most realistic show, but it just feels lazy that they're getting away with it because that is what the episode calls for.
>>
File: boxing.gif (448 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
boxing.gif
448 KB, 300x225
Hundred Dollar Baby. Early enough in season 2 but really still feels like the later season gang.
>>
File: vlcsnap-2016-03-18-03h29m51s665.png (760 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2016-03-18-03h29m51s665.png
760 KB, 1280x720
so who would fuck pregnant wet titty dee?

this fella
>>
>>67144871
actually, you've swung me. i agree, it felt weird.
>>
File: image.jpg (64 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
64 KB, 1280x720
I just want to be pure
>>
>>67144598
Dee getting cornrows.

The show is really good with those subtle gags
>>
My first episode I saw was the Christmas special, it was incredible
>>
>>67146030

DID YOU FUCK MY MOTHER?
>>
Best: The Gang Solves the Gas Crisis

Worst: Franks Brother
>>
>>67146533
Why do people not like that episode?
>>
>>67141490
whats that really high rating season 10
>>
>>67146947
Charlie Work
>>
Dennis and Dee go on welfare is my go to when I recommend it to friends.
>>
>>67146967
why do people like that one so much
>>
>>67147034
It was all shot in one take
>>
>>67147284
it wasn't, it was just edited to look like it was.
>>
>>67147284
>>67147420
yeah it wouldn't even be possible for them do it in one take because the interior of the bar set and the exterior of the bar are in two different locations completely
>>
>>67147530
also

>cgi dennis legs
>>
>>67147598
what's this now?
>>
>>67141328

DENNIS system
Dennis
Frank's bridge friends
Implication
>>
>>67147730
when they (the camera) leave via front door during charlie work there are some cgi legs on a ladder representing dennis
>>
>>67141410
bro you cannot just throw people that deep into always sunny like that
Frank's little beauties or uncle jack would scare off any outsider
>>
The Nightman Cometh is the obvious normie episode.
>>
>>67142279
there are almost no shows that one shouldn't start to at season 1 with
the only example I can think of is parks and rec
>>
>>67141328
dee dates a retard or mac and dennis move to the suburbs
>>
>>67141328
I always go with the welfare one or the white trash one.
>>
>>67141328
The Gang Dines Out
Mac and Dennis Break Up
The Gang Gets Trapped
The DENNIS System/The Gang Buys a Boat.

While these episodes might not be the best 5 ever they are up there as great episodes and are the episodes I have used as an example to try and get people into the show. They're funny and aren't as off putting in their tone or humour as other episodes could be and if the person enjoys the dennis system and the implication you know they won't have a problem with any other stuff in the show.
>>
Gotta go with The Gang Buys a Boat

No inside jokes, nothing too absurd, nothing topical that would make it dated. Just a solidly written self contained episode that perfectly exemplifies each character.
>>
>>67142391
>thought country mac was supposed to be funny
how fucking dense can you be
I can literally picture you watching that episode fuming "why isn't he being funny right now he's not funny"

country mac was a perfect character and did exactly what he was supposed to
>>
>>67141328
I watched them all in order and liked it. Season 1 is good on its own and helps give you context before things get really weird.
>>
>>67142620
>looking for subtleties in season 7+ always sunny
Charlie threw up a gallon of blood in a limo
stop expecting always sunny to be what it's not
>>
>>67141328
I tried watching from the beginning, but I did't like it. I watched some random episodes after that, and the 1st one I really enjoyed was "Mac Is a Serial Killer". After that I started watching regularly.

Halfway trough Season 6 right now.
>>
>>67142433
>the guys are not happy
>cut to Mac and Charlie counting their money and laughing
/tv/ doesn't give season 1 enough credit in general.
>>
Mac and Dennis Break up
its genius and you don't need any prior information
>>
>>67143849
The contrived premise bothered me. Instead of the gang being faced with a problem or trying to pull some sort of scheme, it's just "we're flying across the country why not." The jokes themselves weren't bad, especially Dee getting Wade Boggs mixed up with Boss Hog.
>>
>>67148025
Which was to further service the "mac is le gay" jokes. So fucking brilliant, I'm such a mongoloid for not getting the utterly brilliant and SUBTLE portrayal of Country Mac and how he mirrors Mac.

Episode was fucking garbage.
>>
>>67144775
The flashbacks in that one are pretty great, but the claymation scene was just too edgy for me.
>>
>>67146977
Dennis buying crack is one of my favorite gags.
>>
The Gang Buys A Boat was my first episode and i got into the series so I'd probably show them that
>>
Charlie Pooped the Bed
>>
File: 1252582914696.jpg (31 KB, 450x314) Image search: [Google]
1252582914696.jpg
31 KB, 450x314
I'm curently just starting season 4 and I honeatly can't stand Charlie centered episodes anymore. I basically roll my eyes and shut off when he tries to do his random shit.
Last thing I remember was him spending the entirety of an episode trying to imitate Al Pacino in Serpico

Is he supposed to be annoying and unlikeable or am I just approaching this show wrong?
>>
>>67147777
>Okay, now, my first instinct, when you say things about meeting people under bridges, is to berate you for hanging out with people under a bridge and to say to you, "Why do you hang out with these... with these people?"
>But I'm not gonna say anything because I don't want to be cynical anymore.
>>
>>67149045

you just have no sense of humor and shit taste, nbd
>>
>>67141328
>favourite episode of new season
Liked the ski-ing one, the courtroom one
>character rankings
It's fairly euqal but probably Frank>Dennis>Charlie>Mac>Dee
>best one off character
Don't know
>best running joke
The lawyer stuff
>>
does anybody else think season 11 was way too normie sitcom
>>
>>67149045
Serpico Charlie is GOAT
Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.