[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 5
File: the hobbit.jpg (15 KB, 214x317) Image search: [Google]
the hobbit.jpg
15 KB, 214x317
What went wrong?
>>
Everything.
>>
Nothing went wrong except that it was three movies. It was enjoyable and fun. It was no Lord of the Rings, but it was enjoyable on it's own and I did not regret the money spent in seeing it. also, nostalgia was high on seeing Frodo, Legolas, Gandalf.
>>
>>67137734
Too much cgi
That terrible shot killing smaug
Instead of focusing on the actual battle of the five armies, focus on some long ass drawn out bossbattle
That bridge jump by legolas
>>
>>67137793
It was too long. Hence Jackson had to fill up the movies with shit tier fanfiction. 2 3 hour movies would have been better.

In hindsight I wish del Taco would have directed instead, Jackson fanboys would have raged since they would have been very different in tone but I'm sure that they would have been better movies.
>>
>>67137734
someone post the video of Jackson literally explaining what went wrong
>>
>>67137734
too much cgi, completely missed the point of what made the LOTR trilogy great.
kinda like the star wars prequels in fact.
the best effects in the original star wars AND in LOTR were the practical ones. too much CGI is just soulless in comparison.

the best example of this is the Orcs, the orcs in LOTR you forget they are actors wearing makeup, coz its not completely obvious, but the CGI orcs in the hobbit are so glaring it completely ruins the immersion.

also splitting into three movies was such a bad idea, was so unnecessary, should have made one movie faithful to the book.
>>
File: 1442893817259.webm (3 MB, 608x336) Image search: [Google]
1442893817259.webm
3 MB, 608x336
>>67137734
They didn't give Peter enough time. I'm sure they would have been much better if they weren't running the train while the track was still being built.
>>
>>67137734
Too much CGI.

Too much filler.
>>
>>67137879
Stop defending Jackson. Truth is that he wasn't interested at all in making it but the studio offered him so much money he caved in and did a half-assed job.
>>
Mostly Legolas and the Elf slut.
>>
I loved the hobbit movies. definitely up their with the lord of the rings movies. ONLY bad thing about the hobbit is that they didnt really show what happeneded with their loot, or what gandalf was even playing at to begin with
>>
>>67137734
I didn't respect the tone of the book.
Jackson tried (or was forced by studio excecutives i don't know) to make it as dark as Lord of the Ring when it should have been a kids tale
>>
>>67138001
it* not i
>>
>Shit CGI
>Tensionless actionscenes
>Bad, forced romance
>Over 9 hour runlength yet you never get to know any of the 13 Dwarves

This gets especially stupid at the end of the last movie when Bilbo is supposed to have a tearful goodbye with the dwarves but you don't give a shit because most of them has had 1 line of dialogue in the entire movie
>>
>>67137734
fanedits are fine and almost as good as lotr
>>
>>67137734
The Bookfag edit is good, so is the first movie. 2 & 3 are dog shit tier.
>>
>>67138001
Whether you like it or not most of the audience did not read any of the books. People who watched The Hobbit were introduced to the LotR universe by the LotR films, making The Hobbit films follow in line with the quaint little children's fairy tale that the book was would have been jarring as shit for people who were used to grand, sweeping epics and big action scenes.

Hackson fucked up by making it a trilogy and by adding in all the elf shit. It should have been done in two films, one about the journey there and one with Smaug and all the fighting.
>>
>>67137734

It started with a Hobbit...
>>
Hack director.
>>
>>67137734
Jesus even the poster is smeared with bloom and Vaseline
>>
>3 long-ass movies
>still can't develop dwarfs for shit, outside of MUH GOLD and MUH FORCED LOVE TRIANGLE
I have no fucking idea what their name even were, only characters i remember are Bilbo and elf king Thranduil
>>
>>67137858
The other thing is actors in make up give more characterized performances, they can't help but put little nuisances to even their small roles that personalized their characters more.

Just think about the lead urukai or the "three stinking days" group. By comparison the CGI feels soulless because it is. Characters, even bit parts, need that personalization.
>>
>3 movies when it should have been 2, or preferably one 3-3:30 epic
>legolas
>the stupid she-elf and her cringeworthy love-triangle
>most of the dwarves couldn't act
>horrific cgi
>48 fps/3d with the cgi was a fucking colossal disaster
>cringeworthy dialogue
>>
File: 1429052365725.png (238 KB, 543x417) Image search: [Google]
1429052365725.png
238 KB, 543x417
>There is a ranger, he is of the blood of Elendil, and the last of his line, he will do great things one day, he will star in the original trilogy but his true name you must discover for yourself...

jesus christ really?
>>
>>67138748
Stuff like that is fucking retarded. You can add in references without going overboard.

Like when Legolas pulls out a portrait of Gimli, it would have been enough if Gloin said that it was his son, the real fans would know the rest, but you had to say that he's your son Gimli which starred in the Lord of the Ring Trilogy directed by - you guessed it - me, Peter Jackson
>>
>>67138604
>>Not remembering the dwarf riding on a goddamn pig.
>>
>>67138781

God it was so bad
>>
They tried to make LOTR 2 but the Hobbit was too different.
>>
>>67137734

>Hey Del Toro you on board right
>hmmmmmmmmmm NAH
>but...but..
>>
>according to wikipedia the film takes place 60 years before the lord of the rings

what?
>>
File: 1457311581151.jpg (61 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
1457311581151.jpg
61 KB, 720x480
>>67139243
>the film takes place 60 years before the lord of the rings
>Legolas looks the same
>>
>>67139314
not that
at the end of five armies doesnt someone tell legolas to go to the north and hang with aragorn?
wouldnt that make aragorn like 60+ in the lord of the rings?
>>
>>67139629
>>67139314

Not sure if trolling but elves are long lived and Aragorn is from special set of humans that are also long lived Dunedain or whatever.
>>
none of the magic/wonder of the book
>>
>>67139629
>>67139314
>>67139314
Elves and those who part elf have very long life spans. Elves themselves are nigh immortal.
>>
everything. this is literally LITERALLY the prequels all over again, except that the first part still resembles the quality of the OT to some extent while already suffering from some of the major issues that derail the entire thing in parts 2 and 3.
>>
>>67139629
>>67139314
if either of you had read LOTR youd know elves are immortal and numenorians (OG gondorians like Aragorn) age slower than normal humans. im pretty sure aragorn is supposed to be somewhere between 80-150 years old at the end of ROTK
>>
go north, find the dunedain.
>>
>>67137858
By that logic, in 10 years from now we'll get a new LOTR trilogy, in the spirit of the old films, and the hobbit will be forgotten.

Except on /tv/, where the hobbit films will get a new appreciation, and be considered better than the original LOTR.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20vA9U7J2qQ
>>
File: 1458137329323.jpg (7 KB, 246x250) Image search: [Google]
1458137329323.jpg
7 KB, 246x250
>>67137879
>Defending a hack
>>
>>67139786

It's true though, he was never supposed to direct it, Del Toro was but he dropped out leaving it all in Jackson's lap.
>>
>>67138748
References like that stick out so badly. I even hated the "Mellon" part in DoS.
>>
>>67139659
>>67139680
>>67139697
>defending plotholes by making certain characters age differently
>>
>>67140124

>pretending to be very stupid
>>
>>67140150
>refusing to accept that his beloved franchise is shit
>>
>>67140184

>going all in on complete idiocy
>>
>>67140206
>this much denial
>>
I've never cringed so hard as that sceen when everyone is flowing down the river of ridiculousness for ten minutes. The movie had so much cheap childish humor in it.
I realize the book had a more upbeat tone then LOTR but they went overboard in trying to capture it and failed where LOTR movie succeeded
>>
yeah im just excited to rewatch the original trilogy
>>
>>67137734

>Too many filters
>shortcuts with cgi
>None of the love that was put into the LOTR movie was there (no incredible model sets)
>Legolas for no reason
>should not have been 3 movies
>jokes were bad
>third movie was an absolute shit show

The gollum/bilbo scene was great though, loved seeing serkis do that again.
>>
>fanfic filler
>muh 60 fps
>horrible overcgi everything
It was terrible. Aaa movies in general are terrible. Everything is terrible.
>>
>>67137734
>CGI
>extending a short book into 3 massive epics instead of 1 or 2 movies
>all that fan service
>stupid ass scenes like the one in the barrels
basically this
>>
>>67139629

He's in his 80s during lotr senpai. He's a dunedain.
>>
>>67137734
Legolas Trilogy m8
>>
each movie made 1 billion, even if they wasted double the budget of the original trilogy they made a profit.
>>
>>67140421
do dunedains age slowly at a certain point or do they age slowly from birth?

was legolas hanging out with a delicious shota in the woods for 20 years?
>>
>>67140710

Not 100% on what the name of them is, but Aragorn is not technically human. Canon is he's like a half elf. They live to be a few hundred years old. Blood of numenor? He's also like 7 ft tall and super human strength in books.

In extended edition he reveals he's 115 y/o or close to it.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.