[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
2001 discussion
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 7
File: download.jpg (11 KB, 332x152) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
11 KB, 332x152
The other night we accidentally had a really good thread about the shining. We discussed the hotel as an entity, the eerieness of the hotel layout not making sense, and the possibility of ghosts.

I thought we might try again with 2001: A Space Odyssey

Some talking points:
>was the monolith a real object or just a representation of progress?
>HAL is the most iconic part of the movie aside from the score and yet his portion of the story is wholly forgettable when put against monkey madness, extended punch-drunk love sequence, and spoopy end scene
>did he dream the whole thing
>why did the monolith appear to him as he lay dying
>is this incredible movie proof that Kubrick definitely helped the US government fake the moon landing

Have at it, lads!
>>
>hey guys lets discuss a movie/director that's been discussed to death

You are barely any better than those guys who try to have intellectual conversations about Big Lebowski, Fight Club, or Pulp Fiction in 2016.
>>
Do you think his suit smelled bad if he farted?
>>
>>67133597
>I'd rather meme about JUST and WE WUZ KANGS
You may politely fuck off now.

The monolith was an alien device that triggered evolution in earth creatures
>>
>>67133534
I read an interesting theory that the monolith is actually the cinema screen and that's why the film starts on a 90 degree angle because that's the way it would appear to the monolith standing upwards.
>>
>>67133534
I thought this movie felt pretty dated desu
>>
>>67133736
A 48 year old film feels dated what a surprise what intelligent thing are you going to tell us next like is grass green?
>>
>>67133798
yes

but only on the other side
>>
Why don't we live on space stations yet?? Fuck all this trivial fighting between different races. We could be conquering the stars if everyone JUST stfu and did their part
>>
File: HAL 9000.jpg (24 KB, 500x232) Image search: [Google]
HAL 9000.jpg
24 KB, 500x232
DUDE THE MISSION LMAO
>>
>>67133534
It was literally an advanced machine. I shit you not, humans got rid of them by way of computer virus.
>>
>>67134013
Wrong movie m8
>>
>>67134035
Nah, I just read the books.
>>
>>67133597
I want plebbit to leave.
>>
>>67133534
It always hits me that the final space ship is a literal spermatozoid
>>
>his portion of the story is wholly forgettable
No way, "I can't do that, Dave," is the most popular quote from the movie. How can he be forgettable if he's so iconic like you said?

>>67133942
Why don't we live on space stations yet? We could be conquering the stars if everyone JUST stfu and did their part
Nobody cares enough to fund these endeavors. The space race was all about eventually making nuclear rockets, that's the biggest reason why America and Russia started it, it was a cold war thing. There's no reason for us to leave Earth, unless overpopulation becomes an issue (assuming mother nature doesn't decide to fuck us up first) or unless some new technology is discovered that can benefit from more space exploration much like rocket weaponry.
>>
File: uncanny-robot.jpg (36 KB, 500x425) Image search: [Google]
uncanny-robot.jpg
36 KB, 500x425
>>67134050
>on /tv/
>I read the books
>>
>>67134258
I'm sorry I don't post here often. Is that bad?
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-03-17-01-22-17.png (880 KB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-03-17-01-22-17.png
880 KB, 720x1280
>>67134220
>There's no reason for us to leave Earth
May I present exhibit A
>>
I'd like to point out something about the monolith. We see it three times, and it means different things each time. The first time it points up towards the sky, and the monkey's make a relation between themselves and their environment, shown by touching the monolith with their hands. They then begin using tools, which quickly leads to space travel.

Next we have the second monolith. Again, vertical, but this time the noise associated with it is painful. Trying to understand this thing is NOT what it wants. It wants our complete devotion, it wants us to give ourselves over like we would a God, to truly be elevated, "upwards".

Finally the last monolith. Amidst space, roaming. Horizontal. The viewer finally realizes the similarity to the film screen, in color, aspect ratio, and now orientation. We see Dave, made horizontal as well by the passing of time, an old man lying in a bed. And the monolith returns, vertical. Upwards. The stars.
>>
>HAL is completely forgettable
Are you fucking crazy? How could you think that?

Worst part of the movie is the segment between dawn of man and HAL. It just goes on way too long giving ultimately irrelevant details about the program.
>>
>>67134406
You can't escape degeneracy, there will always be a lower class of humans. How do ghetto black people affect you in a way that would make you want to leave Earth? If you live in a shitty area it's your fault. Seems like edgy racism to me, at least it makes you look cool in front of the other anonymous posters.
>>
File: IMG_20150927_222826.jpg (43 KB, 369x485) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150927_222826.jpg
43 KB, 369x485
>>67134298
Ya m8, we're talking about film here. If you want to hem and haw about the tomes you perused after your rousing wankfest in the study
>>>/lit/
>>
>>67133942
>implying degenerate races arent holding humanity back
only when the race war happens, can we finally move forward as a specie
>>
>>67134532
>How do ghetto black people affect you in a way
waste of tax dollars and ressources
>>
>>67134298
Only if you spoil stuff based on books for other anons.
>>
>>67133942
Because in all likelihood "the stars" are empty and worthless balls of gas and dust. The amount of long term planning, determination and funding to accomplish potentially nothing is insane
>>
>>67134556
>I have literally no knowledge of the known universe: the post
>>
>>67134533
Okay then. I will talk about the movie.
People could touch it so it was real.
>HAL is the most iconic part of the movie aside from the score and yet his portion of the story is wholly forgettable when put against monkey madness, extended punch-drunk love sequence, and spoopy end scene
This opinion is retarded. HAL was 90% of the third act. His shutdown is the second or third thing that comes to mind when thinking about the movie.
>why did the monolith appear to him as he lay dying
The director did a shit job of covering the last part of the movie.
>is this incredible movie proof that Kubrick definitely helped the US government fake the moon landing
This explains your shit opinion on HAL.
>>
>>67134652
What would be accomplished from all the years of effort and trillions of dollars needed to just get to say Venus?
>>
File: CbwKf8KUcAEehya.jpg (32 KB, 400x392) Image search: [Google]
CbwKf8KUcAEehya.jpg
32 KB, 400x392
>>67134532
Call it "edgy" or /pol/ but we almost did escape degeneracy once. What good has the welfare state accomplished? How have blacks and mexicans actually furthered society as a whole? Most degenerate whites are a product of emulating black folk, prove me wrong. How many middle easterners have made up for even a fraction of what theyve blown up? What are the MAJOR issues of this presidential election if not A BORDER and IMMIGRATION? Holy shit just fly away to another land and live like wild injuns off the fat of the land. Fuck non-whites
>>
>>67134710
There is an 8-1 return on investment in space exploration. A trillion spent is 8 trillion made.
>>
>>67134681
>I will talk about the movie
>ad hominems all of OP's conversation starters
Gee whiz, you bookworms must be a blast a parties
>>
>>67133534
>The other night we accidentally had a really good thread about the shining.
Sorry OP no repeats tonight.
>>
>>67134795
How? I'm genuinely curious

>>67134756
>What good has the welfare state accomplished?
Anything you're bitching about with welfare would be much worse if people were more poor and more desperate. At the very least welfare keeps a status quo
>>
>>67134681
lol why are you so mad?
>>
>>67134810
>ad hominems all of OP's conversation starters
Please use ad hominem properly.
>>
>>67133534
The Ending Scene suffer from a lack of defined visualizations and as such renders the majority of it's meaning incomprehensible. The book, however, does a much better job.
>>
>>67134849
I'm not. Didn't mean to come off that way.
>>
>>67134837
>anything you're bitching about welfare
Did you have an actual argument or did you come here to pretend to be retarded?
•Tax dollars spent to fund niggers smoking weed and breeding like a fucking plague
•millions of people never amounting to shit but being allowed to live because
>muh humanity
•"disabled" forklift-worthy fucks get OUR money to continue wasting the air they breathe
•foodstamp-wielding trash heaps waddle into my work everyday to spend OUR money on energy drinks and candy

>All this would be somehow worse than those animals dying in the street like the dogs they are
>>
>>67134855
>this opinion is retarded!
>this is a shit opinion!
>my dad molested me!
ad ho·mi·nem
ˌad ˈhämənəm/
adverb & adjective
(of an argument or reaction) directed against a person rather than the position they are maintaining
>>
>>67134995
>"my work" involves energy drinks and candy
Go to bed Pajeet, you have to open the store early tomorrow
>>
Jesus Christ, I appreciate the attempt at actual discussion, but this really makes /tv/ look like a shitty board
>>
>>67134837
Assuming tax dollars are used and not private monies. The revenue is not immediate but over a decade or two. The calculation is made based on the value of all the free patents given to the public. Powdered drinks and non-perishable food for example.

Just imagine the value of the matrials that would have to be invented for humans to live on Venus. It can melt lead on the surface and it's atmosphere is super thick.
>>
>>67135101
I see now. That does make sense, thanks
>>
>>67135047
I bet you like the films of Wes Anderson
>>
>>67135047
I didn't say anything about OP. His opinion is his position.
>>
>comparing kubrick adaptations to the book version
>>
>>67135227
Yeah, I obviously fucked up.
Thing is I like Kubricks version better, except for the ending. He went off the rails there.
>>
File: images (1).jpg (4 KB, 192x180) Image search: [Google]
images (1).jpg
4 KB, 192x180
>>67135087
>implying /tv/ isn't the shittiest board of all
>>
>>67135270
That's the point,
>>
>>67135227
the kubrick adaptation was made WITH the book, they both worked on the book.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.