[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Blade Runner
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 7
File: blade_runner_xlg.jpg (265 KB, 998x1500) Image search: [Google]
blade_runner_xlg.jpg
265 KB, 998x1500
Which cut is your favorite? Are you looking forward to Blade Runner 2?
>>
Final Cut, because it's the best. There's no other choice. The only possible nit-picky little caveat would be that Director's doesn't make it quite clear he's a robodobot.

>Are you looking forward to Blade Runner 2?
No. I never look forward to anything movie related anymore.
>>
>final cut
>meh
>>
>>67112807
>No. I never look forward to anything movie related anymore.
Really? I'm extremely cynical towards sequels/prequels/reboots/remakes but I look forward to new films from my favorite directors.
>>
File: sy.jpg (527 KB, 2649x1429) Image search: [Google]
sy.jpg
527 KB, 2649x1429
final, but i think the directors is underrated. the flaws and fun vhs quality are kind of charming.

it's my favorite movie

absolutely fucking terrified (not as much as i am about ghost in the shell though) but i will be there opening night
>>
The book blade runner was based off of was fairly shit 2bh
>>
Final cut for sure, although I'm working on my own, slightly autistic, fan recut.

>Are you looking forward to Blade Runner 2?
I know they'll fuck it up, but I guarantee I will see it in theatres.
>>
>>67112900
dick was the ultimate idea man but his execution and technical skills as a writer were abysmal
>>
>>67112900
It's one of the few instances where the film is better than the book. Although there are a bunch of hardcore Philip K. Dick fans that will debate that.
>>
>>67112900
They're very different things, and should not be compared with one another.

IMO, they are both masterpieces in their own fields.
>>
I like how philosophical Blade Runner is, but at the same time, I'm more interested in what you do with this information. Does this information and contemplation on consciousness, death, memories, the self affect how we live? I hope the sequel addresses this.
>>
>>67112900
Book is so tight dude. Lot more cool ideas and they all work together (dial emotions, animals)

I remember watching the movie and waiting for the police station scene, and it never came.
>>
>>67112900
They're so different they shouldn't be compared. The book has a great plot, the movie has a weaker plot but the visuals and themes make up for it.
>>
>>67112968
my fuckin nigga
>>67113003
i think it's biggest strength is its ambiguity and ability to tell a simple story that touches on so many different ideas, without being heavy-handed or pretentious.. questions, not answers my man.

what you do with the information is literally up to you. to me, that's part of the point. any attempt to really "address" (this feels like the wrong word) it is dangerous and probably inherently self-defeating.
>>
>>67113138
>i think it's biggest strength is its ambiguity and ability to tell a simple story that touches on so many different ideas, without being heavy-handed or pretentious
Best summary of Blade Runner I've ever seen.
>>
>>67113162
How about just the name, Blade Runner, then?
>>
>>67113162
thanks anon, that actually means something to me, sadly
>>
inb4
>le man running on blade.jpg
>>
the performances are all criminally underrated too tbqh. most of the critiques i see of the movie reveal themselves as having totally missed the point, but whenever i see "ford is just bland and depressing" or "sean young is stiff and wooden, especially early on" i just want to put my head thru a desk
>>
Best set design in any movie I've ever seen.
>>
File: gay-ass-movie-shit.jpg (100 KB, 661x800) Image search: [Google]
gay-ass-movie-shit.jpg
100 KB, 661x800
final cut
i was until the director was announced
>>
>>67114198
>i was until the director was announced
You don't like Denis Villeneuve? Who do you think would do a better job than him?
>>
>>67114198
i think he could pull it off actually even though i would admit that he is a little overrated by some people and has limited range and upside.

despite this i feel like his preferences and style might actually be a fit for this, especially if he doesn't go for too much and doesn't let deakins completely run amok.

will he probably fuck it up to some degree anyway? sure. but i think he has a slightly better chance than a strong majority of the alternatives.

remember, ridley is a hack too, and never read the source material and then claims to "understand" the movie entirely, even though it becomes evident when you watch or read interviews and documentaries that he really doesn't. still made a masterpiece. sometimes it just happens. we'll see.
>>
>>67114198
>>67114390
I'm really happy that Villeneuve is directing. Almost every time Hollywood makes a sequel/prequel/remake/reboot they get some no name hack who fucks everything up. Blade Runner 2 will probably be a disappointment but it won't be a total clusterfuck since talented people are involved.
>>
>>67114358
not him but off the top of my head

david fincher
kathryn bigelow
wong kar-wai
joseph kosinski
tarsem singh
>>
>>67112807

The change of Roy's line to Tyrell is one I could see people reasonably disputing.
>>
>>67114551
David Fincher is an incredible director but I highly doubt he'll ever direct another huge studio film since he got fucked so hard on Alien 3. Kathryn Bigelow is good but I think Villeneuve is much better. Joseph Kosinski has never made a film that's anywhere near as good as Prisoners or Sicario. I don't know much about Wong Kar-Wai or Tarsem Singh.
>>
>>67114710
Tron: Legacy was better then Prisoners. Kosinski isn't a good enough director to do Blade Runner though. And really this sequel shouldn't be made since the '80s vision of cyberpunk is outdated now and wouldn't fit our time, the genre has to evolve.
>>
>>67114551
>joseph kosinski
Why? He has only made two films and one of them was a mediocre blockbuster that ripped off Moon. You might as well add Neill Blomkamp to the list if being good at visuals and making one good sci-fi film makes someone more qualified than Denis.
>>
>>67114710
>>67114920
i never said id want kosinski to write the movie. i think the writing let him down in tron: legacy, and his own (bland) writing was his undoing in oblivion.

his visual style works though imo, he's got the imagination on that level (similar to ridley i think if i may be so bold) and he's at worst a competent storyteller which is good enough here, he just needs the story. he's a fucking architect too. think about it.
>>
>>67115073
Reasonable argument, anon. I didn't know he's an architect.
>>
>>67115170
i will grant that he may not be as ready as villeneuve (his style and talent don't quite mesh as well with the responsibilities of a director... yet.), and he's not the only one. that list is more suitable alternates than actual preferences, and it's the first five that came to mind

i would take fincher though.
same with bigelow. her fetishizing for violence and internal conflict works here, and if she doesn't overdo it with moving the camera around for energy and instead goes for atmosphere, i think she'd nail it.

both have also worked with jeff cronenweth, and i would actually be more comfortable with jeff over roger deakins, especially because jeff is the original dps son.

wong kar-wai is a little bit of a risk. he has the style and some of the same thematic preferences, but not all of them. plus, i don't know if the language barrier would be an issue or even how good his english is, or if he's even a viable option for a western movie.

tarsem singh is dangerous. probably the highest risk/reward. im not even going to get started on him.
>>
File: 8328675248.png (765 KB, 1854x800) Image search: [Google]
8328675248.png
765 KB, 1854x800
>actual discussion on /tv/
Nice.
>>
>>67115639
right?

have 5 more lads

guillermo del toro
danny boyle
alex proyas
ryan gosling
nicolas winding refn
>>
Which version is it without the voice-over?

No offense to Ford, but he sounds fucking retarded in the narration.
>>
>>67116111
The Final Cut.
>>
I like the theatrical cut.
>>
>>67116009
>nicolas winding refn
I don't see why you would spoiler him, he's an amazing director. Hell, I would rather they had chosen him than Villeneuve.
>alex proyas
The man hasn't made a good film since Dark City. Plus he's far too reliant on CGI.
>ryan gosling
Oh come on, Gosling would be a terrible choice and you know it. He's a great actor but he's a mediocre director who has no style of his own. Lost River was Refn, Malick and Lynch thrown into a blender.
>>
>>67114710
Fincher got fucked so hard because he was the unknown director the studio brought in to be their little bitch. He's done a few big studio pics since, and he absolutely has the clout to have control now.
>>
Theatrical cut gets far too much hate, the voice over makes it more like an old film noir, which is what it's supposed to be.

Won't watch the sequel, Scott is a senile old man now, pushing his agenda of the TWEEST that Deckard is a replicant. He's not, it's a shit idea that the story doesn't need.

The sequel is Gosling investigating a cult of Batty worshipping replicants who are killing humans and stealing body parts to try to extend their life by the way, enjoy that bullshit.
>>
>>67116111
Ford knew this times a billion, which is probably why the delivery is so flat too.
>>
>>>67114710
>Tron: Legacy was better then Prisoners.
Gtfo
>>
>>67116009
Del Toro, Boyle and Refn are good alternatives. Proyas has a distinct visual style but I don't think it would mesh at all with Blade Runner. Gosling could eventually become a good director but right now he's an amateur who doesn't know how to fuse his influences into a seamless style.
>>
>>67116263
refn might be a little too autistic and pretentious, that's why i spoilered him. plus he might be the only one who would make the pacing go from slow to even slower. his style works though and i think he gets it.

proyas would not be allowed to use cgi, and based on his work in the crow and dark city i KNOW he has it in him. i will agree that everything since has been questionable, bad, and worse. i wish i understood what's happening to him.

gosling is not mature enough yet obviously but guess what? refn malick and lynch sounds like it could work for a blade runner movie if weighted accordingly. overall, he might be closer than we think. i want to see more than one movie from him before i jump to any conclusions. lost river definitely was overstylized, but i think the talent is there.
>>
>>67116430
Wrong post, senpai. You meant to respond to >>67114787
>>
>>67116656
Kill my phone please
>>
>>67116381
>The sequel is Gosling investigating a cult of Batty worshipping replicants who are killing humans and stealing body parts to try to extend their life by the way
Source? The studio has been pretty secretive about the script. The only info they're released is the opening scene will be Ryan Gosling's character killing a farmer replicant.
>>
Criticizing Gosling for being a mindless blender yet praising the soulless sunday thriller maker that is Villeneuve is god damn stupid
>>
>>67116940
>soulless sunday thriller maker
Have you seen Enemy?
>>
Final Cut is the best.

I have a very simple question and I don't want to start a thread.

I've never seen The Exorcist. Should I watch the original or the Director's Cut?
>>
>>67117080
Shit, I don't know. I've never watched the theatrical cut.
>>
>>67117193
I just don't want an Apocalypse Now type situation, where one version is just not nearly as good as the other.
>>
>>67113035
>dial emotions
worst part of the book

that and the god pn tv that you live through vr or whatever. remove those 2 things and make a movie of that. would be kino.
>>
>>67117040
or his earlier work?
>>
>>67117080
Bump
>>
>>67114551
>Blade Runner 2 by Wong Kar-Wai
f u c k y e s p l e a s e
>>
>>67116751

Location scout's assistant who had a few too many drinks in the Camden eye a few weeks ago.
>>
whichever is the shortest
>>
>Final Cut

>Not being hyped for the next Denis Villenueve masterpiece
Literally why
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.