[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So what disorder does he have?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 8
File: images.jpg (69 KB, 719x1080) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
69 KB, 719x1080
So what disorder does he have?
>>
a sociopathic one.
>>
The /tv/ism
>>
>being a great actor ism
>>
>>67084907

a bad tailor
>>
File: jake-gyllenhaal.png (215 KB, 333x634) Image search: [Google]
jake-gyllenhaal.png
215 KB, 333x634
>>67084907
D R O P P E D
>>
File: 1448667923960.jpg (31 KB, 477x477) Image search: [Google]
1448667923960.jpg
31 KB, 477x477
>>67084907
Don't you see Anon?!

It's a metaphor for the injustices of 21st century corporatism!

Feel the Bern!!!!!
>>
>>67084927
He's more ambitious than anyone on /tv/.
>>
>>67084907

Sociopath with autistic tendencies
>>
Jake Gyllenhaal is so goddamn handsome i want him to ravage my boypussi
>>
Poverty and ignorance combined with a high IQ and charisma.
>>
What are some movies like this one?
I really enjoyed it.
>>
Sociopathy
>>
>>67084907

He read too much /biz/
>>
>>67084907
A serious case of literally me.
>>
>>67085722
you wish brah
>>
>>67085341
Drive is pretty much the only answer. Hopefully we'll see more movies like this in the future
>>
This is a good start: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antisocial_personality_disorder

Also, in b4 autism/asperger's. Hate this analysis. With Drive I can see it as a possibility. Not here.

He's never awkward, timid or shy and is extremely high-functioning - to a fault, in fact. No real hallmarks etc.; not on the spectrum.

I'd say he is a sociopath with antisocial tendencies/antisocial personality disorder. Refer to the wiki link for more info, as there are a ton of misconceptions about APD.

I know this is just another "armchair diagnosis" but for what it's worth I have an extensive background in this area and it is one of my fields of expertise. Still, just my two cents.

Overall, one of the most compelling sociopathic performances I've seen. Patrick Bateman still takes the cake and I seriously doubt will EVER be topped when it comes to general insanity, and he is truly a psychopath - MUCH more so in the book. Unpopular opinion, but the movie was a 4 to 6 out of 10 at best while the book is a solid 10/10. Perfect casting for Bateman, perfect acting, but the film barely scratched the surface in terms of adapting the true chaos of the book.

Soz, getting way off track and rambling, but this stuff is my actual job and with so many mental disorders terribly portrayed in media - be they social, developmental, mood, personality or what have you - it is such a breath of fresh air when it's pulled off *right* and isn't just watered down to some terrible, often ridiculous, stereotypical cliche. Obviously there are the truly awful examples when it's obvious no one is even trying (i.e. the "bad guys" in any of the hundreds of episodic crime/police dramas/procedurals for old people) but even in critically acclaimed series (early Dexter, even at its best; Season 1, 2 and 4) it was totally unrealistic and unbelievable. Nightcrawler got it right. American Psycho got the casting & character right in the film, my critique is only it didn't delve NEARLY deep enough.
>>
>>67085341
seconding this

i don't know anything about /tv/ but this movie felt very good
>>
>>67085878
Nothing like it.

American Psycho is more like it.
>>
File: IMG_7666.jpg (267 KB, 450x522) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7666.jpg
267 KB, 450x522
>>67085926
^^^CONT.

Shit, forgot to post part 2/2:

Both Will Graham and Hannibal Lecter in the Hannibal TV series also nailed it as far as accurately portraying mental disorders and going above and beyond in their performances. I was going to include Elliot from Mr. Robot as another example but thought better of it - they got some parts spot on with his crippling Social Anxiety Disorder and then totally abandoned it and had him doing things and acting in ways that no one with SA would. Still, when they got it right, it was another stellar example.

I don't know why I'm drawing such a blank in terms of accurate and amazing portrayals of characters with mental issues in cinema and television. I can think of plenty examples, but not many where they truly knock it out of the park.

This isn't even a thread about characters with convincing and accurate portrayals of mental disorders anyway so I'm not sure why I'm bothering with this. Probably because I have an undiagnosed mental disorder myself tbqh :|
>>
File: 1457809719295.jpg (25 KB, 276x368) Image search: [Google]
1457809719295.jpg
25 KB, 276x368
>>67086475
Concise analysis, anon.
>>
>>67084907
He dosn't necearrily have a dissorder, he might just score really low on agreeableness which makes him highly dissagreeable which some argue is what psychopathy is. And he he probably scores really low on neuroticism which makes him very emotionally stable or flat.
>>
File: Golden God.jpg (40 KB, 470x626) Image search: [Google]
Golden God.jpg
40 KB, 470x626
>>67085926

Is pic related an accurate portrayal of APD as well?
>>
>>67084907
just starve my shit up
>>
>>67085341
Taxi Driver, sort of.
>>
File: tl;dr.jpg (80 KB, 643x820) Image search: [Google]
tl;dr.jpg
80 KB, 643x820
>>67085926
>>67086475
>>
>>67085341
There exists nothing like it. It felt like a completely new film with a unique story and tone. That's why it was so memorable
>>
>>67084907
Sociopath, simple as that
>>
>>67084960
So apparently everyone in Hollywood has the same dad. I knew there was some freaky shit going on in the movie industry
>>
Just a normal white guy
>>
>>67087064
Yes. Dennis is no doubt a psycho killer.
fafafafa fa fa fafafa fa
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.