[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
BBBRRRRAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHMMMMMMM
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2
BBBRRRRAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHMMMMMMM
>>
>>67060224

underrated movie

pretty much a masterpiece. the beginning of Spielberg's 21st century is absolutely amazing.

A.I.
Minority Report
Catch Me if You Can
War of the Worlds

all in a 4 year span.
>>
>>67060275
wow all those are shite hahah
>>
>>67060275
>pretty much a masterpiece

When was the last time you watched it?
>>
File: 1449957550496.png (82 KB, 255x253) Image search: [Google]
1449957550496.png
82 KB, 255x253
>>67060224
>BBBRRRRAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHMMMMMMM
what did it mean by this?
>>
I really enjoyed this movie, except for that little cunt constantly shrieking.
>>
>>67060224
This and Minority Report overdid it in the grain department.
>>
>>67060224
Fun movie.
>>
>>67060627

about 2 weeks ago

I'm not alone in my opinion brah, don't try to make me sound like some kind of absolute madman

>>67060571

>A.I. is bad

absolutely horrendously awful taste confirmed
>>
>>67060640
John Williams is making fun of Hans Zimmer says his scores are like Transformers farting.
>>
>>67060224

The sound of them moving was a lot more unnerving for me, the sound of alien mechanics at work.
>>
>>67060627
>Calling Catch Me If You Can bad
See Minority Report I understand, it's not for everyone.
A.I. I get, because it looks like one thing, when it is something very different.
War of the Worlds is understandable because that FUCKING PIECE OF SHIT KID re-watched the movie like 4 days ago by coincidence, still have her being a nuisance in my head wrecks any scene she opens her mouth in
But Catch Me If You Can?
That movie?
How the fuck can you hate that?
>>
>>67060224
>>67060627
this is a definitive masterpiece you niggers
the little kid gives the performance of a lifetime
cruise is a god
the fact that you know only what the protagonists know is what makes this a patrician kinograph. it's not "durrr in 2003 tha aliens invaded the earth, here's what humans did to fight them". you literally follow a father and his two kids from the first moment they realize something is going down and then follow their adventure during the crisis.
>>
>>67060995
Sorry>>67060627, meant to quote >>67060571.
>>
>>67060995

>A.I. I get, because it looks like one thing, when it is something very different.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this. Can you elaborate?
>>
>>67060995
the girl in war of the world is amazing you redditor. better than most adult actors.
>>
>>67061077
This. If anything it was the son that was punchable.
>>
as someone once said, this is a masterpiece because "it's not about aliens, it's about humans".
>>
>>67061077
you must be used to the annoying fucking whining since you sound like a whiny faggot yourself
>>
>>67061067
The biggest complaint I heard for A.I. is that it completely fails at establishing what makes the kid special. What makes him a real A.I. when a lot of other robots have a lot more personality and display feelings/emotions.

And i get why they say that, but at the same time that's the point.
It's Pinovchio.
The point of Pinocchio is that the only thing different about him just before he gets turned into a real boy and when he is a real boy, is what his body is. He was a real boy all along. He made the same mistakes, learned the same lessons that every real boy must.
The only thing that changes in the entire story, is that he proves to himself and those around him that he's real. He earns the respect of others.

A big part of what A.I. shows, is that humans can't recognize intelligence, can't recognize life even if it's staring them right in the face, unless they themselves decide to call it that.
>>
>The movie adopts the prudent formula of viewing a catastrophe through the eyes of a few foreground characters. When you compare it with a movie like "The Day After Tomorrow," which depicted the global consequences of cosmic events, it lacks dimension.
the dimension is the human one, you faggot.
damn, ebert was such a fucking pleb.
>>
It changed the modern alien movie.
Nowadays all aliens carry a synthesizer with with,

https://youtu.be/fyXyDW0pU7s?t=24
BWWWAAAAAAAUUUUUUUHHHHH
>>
>>67060275
> everybody is an unlikable asshole to the point where you actually want them to die
> son runs into a fucking explosion like a retard, yet somehow survives unharmed because MUH HAPPY ENDING
> mastepiece
>>
>>67061267
>whine about that kid everytime the movie is brought up
>calls other whiny
i want redditors to leave
>>
>>67061267
>whines about an child actor acting like a child experiencing a traumatic event
>calls someone else a whiny faggot.
>>
>>67061077
I'm not calling her performance bad, I'm calling it annoying as all hell.
If I thought she ruins the movie, I wouldn't have re-watched it. But at the same time, it's the kind of shit that pisses you off, even if you like it.

That or I'm still scarred from having a neighbour kid wake me up every single night for 3 years.
>>
>>67060275
TRANSLATION

> I was a kid in the early 2000s
>>
>>67061283

I can't agree with that. The main thing that sets David apart is his capacity to love a human. I think the movie shows this extremely well as David is shown to be entirely devoted to his mother to the point that he can't bear thinking of an existence without her.

I also don't really think that is the point though. I think the movie is mostly concerned with questions about what it is that constitutes human life, what qualifies as human and what makes us human. The other robots also show human traits, most notably fear of death, and I think they add to the movie's consideration of those questions.

I never took David's uniqueness to be the point of the film except as a jumping off point for an inquiry into the things I've just mentioned.
>>
>>67061359
>>67061380
same whiny cuckold
>>
>>67061331

you sound like kind of a dummy mate

the characters are not unlikable to the point of wanting them to die unless you have a very superficial view of human beings. the characters are all flawed and there is an unbelievable amount of tension in their interactions because the traditional nuclear family (Spielberg's career-long obsession) has fallen apart.

The son survives at the end unscathed because it demonstrates to Cruise that his intervention was not necessary to prevent harm coming to his son. It is another threat to Cruise's ability to feel like a father, which he struggles with the entire movie, trying to discover ways in which he can adopt a role that he so completely lacks the ability to fulfill.

Anyway, people who complain about things like plot in a movie (especially when they can't understand symbolic experience) are usually the most basic kind of plebs so it's no surprise you hate this movie.
>>
>that pod rising up
>the plane crashing
>the entire carjacking scene
>the basement
>Javelin-ing the aliens

10/10
>>
>>67061458
Don't know about the "only he can love someone" part, but the second part about what it means to be human is exactly what I meant.
A lot of people I talked to acted like the robots should act like a smartphone, not recognizing that them being much more than that, is exactly the point, showing that the difference between a "robot" and a human isn't clear as day.

Also on the "he alone can love" bit: It's been a while, so I'm not absolutely certain: But didn't we actually see robots display caring for eachother?

Also, though this might be reading a bit too much into it, I always felt like David is actually handicaped. It felt like he less grew to love his "mother" and more was... I guess desperate for meaning. He was basically programmed from birth, to unconditionally dedicate himself to these people. The movie felt like it was really just his natural programming running its course, while it was the other robots who tried to convince him to give it up.

It felt like he was the most bound out of all the robots we got to know.
>>
>>67060571
Not liking Catch me if you can.

Fuck you Anglo scum
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.