[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Politics aside, why do people hate balls-to-the-wall testosterone-jacked
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: images-33.jpg (33 KB, 443x332) Image search: [Google]
images-33.jpg
33 KB, 443x332
Politics aside, why do people hate balls-to-the-wall testosterone-jacked action thrillers these days?
>>
>>67052460
shit writing, no charisma
>>
>>67052460

for real though, is this even half as good as 24: Live Another Day?
>>
>>67052460
Mad Max just won 6 Oscars, and John Wick got world-wide critical acclaim.
I don't think anyone hates "balls-to-the-wall testosterone-jacked action thrillers"
>>
>>67052501
most of the reviews focus on the xenophobic aspect
>>
>>67052561
This. You better expand your theorie OP, because I haven't noticed this phenomenon among people.
>>
>>67052460
I heard its about Muslims attacking England. Basically /pol/'s wetdream
>>
>>67052589
well, do you think it would've been more well received if you took out the Muslim element?
>>
>>67052565
for the record I haven't seen olympus has fallen either. dr pavel was in the trailer for this one, thats about all I know
>>
>>67052603
>implying the twist at the end of the movie is that it's white rural gun owning Republicans
>>
>>67052460
Because we get exactly 18 of them each year all with the same plot.
>>
>>67052460
I watched Olympus Has Fallen last week and it was fine, but nothing special or original. There were quite a few parts blatantly stolen from Die Hard. I think that's the problem. We had so many great action movies 20 years ago and writers now are just copying those instead of making something new.
>>
>>67052622
I don't know about the muslim part, I think that is more a thing among the press to bitch about. I just wouldn't attribute the bad performance in the theaters to the focus on action in the movie. I don't know about the real reason ofcourse, but a large factor would probably the bad marketing and boring setting, which didn't attract anyone.
>>
>>67052719
What makes the recent Mission Impossible films stand out?
>>
>>67052761

Tom Cruise going above and beyond the call of duty regarding stunt work, never mind there are fags who try their best to belittle his accomplishments crying about how "duh let the stuntmen do their jobs"

Fuck that, if Tom is willing to pony up the cash to pay for the stunt, let him fucking do it.
>>
>>67052460
>CGI guns
>CGI stunts
>CGI explosions
>Shakycam
>Taken 2 tier fight scene editing

Whenever a action movie like this comes around, I just phase out, shit is just so bland.
>>
>>67052761
Tom Cruise is what makes them stand out. He stars and produces, so he gets to pick the writers and directors he wants to work with. He recognizes talent and doesn't go for the most obvious choices in these roles.

I'm actually a little disappointed that he's using McQuarrie again for M:I 6. I thought Rogue Nation was great, but the reason the series has lasted (and become better) over the years is because of the rotation of people behind the camera.
>>
>>67052460

I wonder that too. I still love 80s action flicks to this day, but new flicks have no appeal. I think they take themselves too seriously? London Has Fallen looks like it is way too far up its own ass. It doesn't own the camp and charm that old action movies did.
>>
>>67053073
>I'm actually a little disappointed that he's using McQuarrie again for M:I 6. I thought Rogue Nation was great, but the reason the series has lasted (and become better) over the years is because of the rotation of people behind the camera.

>no Edgar Wright Mission Impossible

Dammit. That or the Raid guys.
>>
>>67053056
You're probably right. There's nothing at stake anymore producing these movies, no risk to life or finances or anything. If the script calls for a car to fly 300 yards while doing a few somersaults with the main protagonist standing on the roof dual wielding well then the CGI crew will make it happen.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.