[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Gravity Falls good or is it Tumblr pandering shit?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 7
File: mabel_8.jpg (84 KB, 620x420) Image search: [Google]
mabel_8.jpg
84 KB, 620x420
Is Gravity Falls good or is it Tumblr pandering shit?
>>
>>67037344

>dipper's love interests all white
>mexican groundskeeper
>mabel's friends are a chink and a hambeast with a man's voice

Nah
>>
>>67037344
It will be the best cartoon you will ever watch IF you watch it during a summer break or summer in general, or you might feel disconnected.
It's only tumblr in the way of some art and character design.
9/10 for a cartoon
>>
Does this show have cool conspiracy, Illuminati-type stuff in it? I like that stuff.

I've been put off from watching it because of its massive tumblr fanbase and the fact that it's a kids cartoon.
>>
>>67037470
>Does this show have cool conspiracy, Illuminati-type stuff in it? I like that stuff.

That's literally what the show is about, but it's still a kid's show. They aren't going to blow your mind or expose the MK ULTRA CHEM TRAILS BERNIESANDERS IS A GECKOMAN truth.
>>
>>67037394
>9/10 for a cartoon

6/10, it was decent.
>>
>>67037470
yeah the whole shows premise is about mystery being covered up by conspiracies, mythical things, secret societies and a literal triangle Illuminati man.
If you watch it properly its surprisingly deep in terms of amount of clues etc.
you can solve mysterious before the reveal if you are using your head
>>
>>67037512
OK, I'll check it out. Should be fun at least and 3spooky5me
>>
>>67037344
Twin peaks for kids with simpsons-ese humor.
It has better writing than a lot of tv series we have right now. I say watch the first few episodes. If you're still not convinced, then it's not for you. If do like it prepare for feels

>show about mystery and horror
>actually about loving your sibling
>>
But why is this show so loved on tumblr?
>>
>>67038003
A lot of things are loved on tumblr.
>>
File: 1454314368379.jpg (23 KB, 294x333) Image search: [Google]
1454314368379.jpg
23 KB, 294x333
It's okay. I checked it out because of Matt Chapman's involvement, and watched it on and off throughout it's run. I found it to be enjoyable more often than not, with only a few minor nitpicks mostly revolving around how long they dragged out the Wendy/Dipper bullshit which stopped being funny/entertaining long before it was resolved.

That being said...

Much like most things related to cartoons though, it's fanbase is straight up cancer that taints the experience for anyone exposed it. What is it about fucking cartoons that attract such degenerate losers who can't enjoy something without obsessing over it? Circlejerking over it 24/7, treating it like the second coming of Christ that has no flaws and everyone should be watching, producing metric fucktons of horrible fanart/fanfics/shipping related bullshit, all that jazz.

Gravity Falls isn't as bad as something like MLP or Steven Universe in this regard, but I'll be damned if they it still doesn't annoy me and make me ashamed to say that I liked it all the same.
>>
>>67038003
Tumblr likes everything
>>
GF and SU are both pretty great. Why would you care if Tumblr collectively likes or dislikes a thing?

Also Tambry best girl
>>
>>67037344
It's literally the best thing the Disney Channel has put out.

Sorry, "Disney XD". Awful name for a channel, simply awful.
>>
>>67037470
It's basically Twin Peaks or Eerie Indiana as a cartoon.
>>
>>67037470
>it's a kids cartoon
>>
It's pretty funny comedy, with cute artstyle and some fun comedy about horror themes.

But it has lousy arc plotting, characterization and thematic consistency. I understand it's a kids' cartoon, but there's no law that kids cartoon can't have good writing.
>>
>>67037470
>>67039275

>kids cartoon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cf1IAv9QMgc
>>
>>67039275
Believe it or not child, people in swim suits( no matter the age) isn't an adult thing. Despite what feminists and retards will tell you.
>>
>>67039704
It is in "you know where".
>>
I don't really care about Gravity Falls but I like youth romance so what are the episodes with romance in them?
>>
>>67040346
Season 2 episode 2. Very cute
>>
>>67040346
Mabel is constantly looking for a summer romance. When she does find it it's always with creatures of supernatural origin.
>>
You missed a hell of a fun ride by not watching while airing
>>
>>67040346

Steven Universe does the relationship between him and Connie really well
>>
How are these threads not bannable? Discussing this shit is admitting to being a child.
>>
>>67040930
Not really
It's ridiculous how well written it is
>>
>>67037344
It's certified mot-Tumblr, Disney wouldn't allow anything retarded.
>>
>>67037344
It was good as modern cartoons get. Never felt cheap, pandering or phoned in.

Regular Show, Adventure Time, Steven Universe, etc. are varying levels of shit.
>>
>>67037344
The comic timing reminds me a lot of The Simpsons. It's a really great show and I've gone off cartoons completely.
>>
>>67040878
But he also missed hiatuses.
>>
>>67040990

That's totally an overstatement.

It's a children's cartoon, there's nothing particularly special or clever about it because it's bottlenecked by it's core demographic.

It's an enjoyable cartoon and some of the stories/characters they've created are funny and entertaining, but it's not exactly groundbreaking or deep. It's an inoffensive kid's show.

Which is fine, hell I enjoy that kind of thing too on a "cozy cartoon to watch on a saturday morning" nostalgic kind of way, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.
>>
>>67041209
It doesn't need to be "deep" to be well written anon
>>
>>67040878
I remember being on /co/ when it first started out. People REALLY didn't want the threads to turn into Gravity Falls Generals, lest they turn into Homestuck Generals which I was also a part of.

They ended up happening anyway, and they got deep as fuck into the lore, it was fucking fascinating.
>>
>>67041209
it's relative. Compared to other modern cartoons it's practically a masterpiece just for not fucking up constantly.
>>
>>67037344
i watched an episode of it after hearing all the "buzz". I couldn't get through it because i'm sick of hearing kristen schaals voice and overall the dialogue is bland
>>
>>67037344
It's one of the best cartoons there is.

Steven Universe is pure Tumblr pandering though, and should be avoided.
>>
>>67038003
Because it's cute, whimsical, and has elements of adult humor in it. Same reason they love Adventure Time at the show about the stoner bird.
>>
>>67039683
GRAVITY FALLS BTFO BY GRAVITY FALLS
>>
>a kids cartoon sucessfully told a contained story and stayed consistent and didnt jump the shark
When has this ever happened before? I can only think of The Last Airbender
>>
I think it's one of the best shows ever made. It was the only cartoon I can watch with my kids that I think we enjoy equally and look forward to. I also really appreciate the creator choosing to end it on his terms when he wanted even though it was the highest rated show on the network. I'm sure the chink cartoon watching forever alone manchildren here mostly hate it because they can't relate to enjoying it as a parent or to having adventures and relationships like the characters in the show. Watch it if you're not a permavirgin that hates everything, you'll probably love it.
>>
>>67041346

Fair enough I guess.
>>
>>67041496

It's rare, because when it comes to western cartoons the good ones are cancelled well before their time and never get proper conclusions like 90% of the time unfortunately.

It's now the year of our lord and savior Jesus Christ 2016, and I still haven't gotten over Spectacular Spider-Man and to a slightly lesser extent Motorcity.
>>
My only regret is Alex Hirsch is too much of a wuss and could only do two seasons instead of three.
>>
>>67041496
Mystery Inc and Over the garden wall
>>
>>67041662
>Over The Garden Wall
Legit one of the best cartoons I've ever seen. I'm almost glad we'll never get a sequel, it's so perfectly contained.

Also, was it supposed to be in the 80's? In the flashbacks I mean
>>
>>67041655
I'll always be butthurt that they didn't pick up Korgoth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoxMiZxN-F0
>>
>>67041662

OtGW doesn't really count, it was more of a miniseries than anything.

That being said, it IS good.
>>
>>67041568
>the chink cartoon watching forever alone manchildren here mostly hate it
>Watch it if you're not a permavirgin that hates everything
You seem pretty set on this idea but I'm not sure why you think that. GF gets pretty universal acclaim.

The show does Simpsons quality humor better than the Simpsons has for the past 15 years.
>>
>>67039134
>SU
stopped reading, shit taste detected
>>
File: 1457559161533.png (195 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1457559161533.png
195 KB, 800x800
Pacifica is the best girl tbqh.
>>
>>67041986
>Has a redemption episode
>Still gets shit on in the finale
>>
File: 1455779549767.png (452 KB, 1895x3259) Image search: [Google]
1455779549767.png
452 KB, 1895x3259
>>67042048

Biggest letdown of the finale. All that development and redemption thrown away.
>>
>>67040399
Captain must go down with his ship
;_;7
>>
>>67039275
Even though I liked Wendy too, I stopped watching in the first season because it felt like 3 or 4 episodes in a row were "Dipper wants Wendy as a GF, and does something for her attention/affection."

Did they fucking kill that storyline?
>>
>>67042143

Yes, they killed it early season 2. Keep watching, it gets much better at the end of season 1.
>>
>>67042143
Eventually, though it resurfaced now and again.
>>
>>67042143
I agree, it got pretty annoying, but i was happy that i finished the series, and i had a friend who loved t as well so we could talk about it.
>>
>>67042143
They killed it pretty overtly in the second or third episode of season 2.

I can't remember where I read it, but Hirsch has admitted that in the tail end of season one they were running thin on story ideas and that's why there was such a string of Dipper pines for Wendy episodes. They were clearly aware they were a weak point.
>>
>>67042143

At least it wasn't as annoying as the fucking love triangle in The Legend of Korra.
>>
>>67040878
Not really, all he missed was /co/'s typical descent from enthusiasm about a show into autistic generals about Dipper's feet.
>>
>>67038003
im tumblr and i love 4chan
>>
>>67042298
>Dipper pines for Wendy
>pines
You motherfucker.
>>
>>67042143
They killed it, and in a way that quite frankly made me a little depressed. I mean I'm glad they got rid of it but that was just too relatable.

I've been there, Dipper. I've been there.
>>
>>67040990
It's not well-written. Dipper and Mabel's dynamic got warped because writers can't bring themselves to criticize Mabel, and it all ended with the promotion of weirdest most disfunctional relationship I could imagine.
>>
>>67041080
That's no coincidence, some of the old writers were involved.
>>
It's a pretty terrible pile of shit, but it's a kids show, they're all awful.

Honestly, I don't understand why anyone over the age of 12 would subject themselves to it.
>>
>>67044119
Weak bait 4/10 made me reply
>>
File: kid with hat.jpg (67 KB, 767x1100) Image search: [Google]
kid with hat.jpg
67 KB, 767x1100
>>67044119
>>
It's great. Just finished it myself. The only bad thing is the ending. Even then it's not too bad, jus Disney being Disney.

>>67037470
The main villain is a triangle demon with one eye. So yes. This show is all about conspiracies.
>>
>>67044271
>>67044289
>I watch simplistic shows with storylines written to sell toys because I'm not ASHAMED
Kill yourself guys, seriously. I'm fine with watching something for raw entertainment value, there just isn't any to be had from watching kids shows.
>>
>>67044432

>I'm 16 and have superior taste The Wire is sooo well written and realistic best series ever.
>>
>>67044432
>simplistic
I'll be damned if I could remember what had happened in the previous episodes by the time the Disney scheduler decided to air a new one, it was far from simplistic.
>>
>>67044432
>storylines written to sell toys
This isn't capeshit, my trolling friend.
>>
>>67044432
Calm the fuck down kid lmao. Do you like John Wick too?
>>
>>67045115
Not that guy but fuck off m8, John Wick was great
>>
>>67044432
Yeah, Gravity Falls toys are fucking huge. lol retard
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.