[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are jump scares "bad"?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 9
File: tumblr_mc17bfE4A91qcga5ro1_500.gif (410 KB, 426x206) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mc17bfE4A91qcga5ro1_500.gif
410 KB, 426x206
Why are jump scares "bad"?
>>
That one got me when I first saw it
>>
>>67003614
Because they're stale as shit and don't actually scare people. They mildly surprise people. Horror should be a lasting experience.
>>
>>67003614
Wtf, why was Darth maul in this movie?
>>
They are routinely unearned and repeated. OP's example is a good jumpscare. Another one would be the jumpscare from Mulholland Drive.

insidious is a shit movie though
>>
>>67003614
because it's "cheating"

you didn't actually scare me you just made a loud noise and made me surprised for a second. A horror movie succeeds when it fills you with a sense of dread.... jump scare is basically the equivalent of yelling BOO!
>>
>>67003685
Because the Astral Realm is actually a galaxy far far away.
>>
>>67000000
>>
Because they don't scare, they startle. They're cheap, ineffective at creating true fear and over used.
>>
File: 1438134935948.jpg (25 KB, 400x386) Image search: [Google]
1438134935948.jpg
25 KB, 400x386
>>67003717
>>
>>67003717
Kek
>>
What are some good examples of horror movies with hardly any jump scares.
>>
>>67003651

There are plenty of "jump scares" in movies that really does last with you and scare you. It's just that most horror movies have no idea how to do that. They always follow that formula of a character invesitages something, there's mild dread, there's a fake scare like a cat pops out or something, the character goes, "phew" and then behind her there's a spooky ghost face that goes boo.
>>
>>67003782

House of the Devil
>>
>>67003806
>There are plenty of "jump scares" in movies that really does last with you and scare you.
Maybe if you're a fucking pussy.
Also
>does
>not do
Fuck off back to Brazil.
>>
they're not scary, they're startling. you could substitute a 'spoopy ghost' with almost anything (a kitten, a guitar, even a tub of fucking butter) and it will still scare you
>>
>>67003614
because they are retardedly overused without any meaning or purpose in the context of the movie and are used to scare the audience only
your pic related
>>
startling someone =/= scaring them
>>
File: hobo mullholland drive.jpg (45 KB, 679x478) Image search: [Google]
hobo mullholland drive.jpg
45 KB, 679x478
What is the best jump scare in cinema?
>>
>>67003782
Shining, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Exorcist are all classics
>>
>>67003782
The Witch
I would maybe say Jacobs Ladder
Some people say Silence of the Lambs but I think that's more of a thriller than horror
>>
File: 1447795092721.gif (2 MB, 988x516) Image search: [Google]
1447795092721.gif
2 MB, 988x516
>>67003614
It's a cheap way to startle people, not that it's a bad concept, but most of them are handled terribly
>>
>>67003782
thing
>>
>suspense builds up
>character feels being followed
>suddenly AHHHH BOOO HISS CRASH
>it was a cat
>>
>>67003857
>they're not scary
>it will still scare you
don't you mean "startle" there, anon?
>>
>>67003904
that one
>>
>>67004007
meant to say 'they will still startle you' yes. couldn't be bothered fixing it though 2bh
>>
>>67004072
no worries anon, I got your back
>>
1. They are lazy
2. They lose their effect literally after one viewing of the movie

The only exception to this is Mulholland Drive:
>>67003904
>>67004021
>>
>>67003782
Rosemary's Baby.
>>
>>67003614
They can be a useful technique. They mainly get criticised when the movie has nothing else going for it, but theres also just that for regular cinemagoers they have reached saturation point
>>
because they are cheap "scares".
you dont get scared. your instincts kick in when you hear the stinger. there is a difference between scared and startled. you stay scared for a while. startled you jump for a moment then calm down right after. unless you are a pussy of course. you can see one coming a mile away with a bad director.
>>
File: png.gif (33 KB, 237x200) Image search: [Google]
png.gif
33 KB, 237x200
>>67003952
>>
Because most times, they are used wrong and are very predictable.

Don't let the contrarians here tell you all jump scares are bad. A jump scare is there to remind you that the danger is real. A movie that relies on tension alone can never be truly scary because the mind grows accustomed to the atmosphere.
>>
File: 1319658960166.jpg (33 KB, 600x601) Image search: [Google]
1319658960166.jpg
33 KB, 600x601
Most horror filmmakers don't mean to actually scare you, but just make you experience a pleasurable frisson, so you can have fun on a date or watching a movie with your buddies. This is why they resort to jumpscares and obvious plot twists. Make it familiar, make them expect the horror.

A proper horror movie, on the other hand, is more along the lines of Eraserhead and The Babadook. Picking these two because they are based around the same basic fear, that of being or becoming a parent. The horror is not that Henry's kid looks like an alien fetus, or that the babadook might be real. The horror is the movies telling you that, despite what most people tell you, being a parent can be a terifying experience, and not in a good "this makes me a better person" kind of way. Parenthood is not always a miracle, or a blessing, it can be an unenduring nightmare. That's the horror, not the creatyure design or the eerie atmosphere. Horror has to connect with you, not just go "BOO! lol gotcha"
>>
People don't like them because they actually scare people and cause small amounts of caca to come out buttholes
>>
>>67004225
Gee, they better make one with a 70 year old man posting on 4chan.
>>
>>67003711
This is why It Follows is such a top tier horror movie
>>
>>67003904
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSAL3kXt-ps
>>
>>67003904
is it actually a jump scare if they set it up in the previous scenes? I was already shitting my pants before that guy appeared.
>>
Jump scares aren't that bad. They're just horribly overused, and badly done. It's easy to mimic the scared feeling by just making a loud noise. It's the same sensation as being really scared. Think of it as tricking you and 'stealing' a scare.

Unfortunately teenagers think this equals a great horror movie, so we have mountains of shit where there's nothing but lazy jump scares. It's like Michael Bay and explosions. Just keep cramming more fire and explosions in and eventually the spectacle fills in the gaps in everything else. It's easy.
>>
>>67004340

>It Shills
>Top tier

No. It's Bland tier. The best thing about it is the concept, something it throws away quickly.

Just because a movie doesn't resort to jump scares doesn't give it a free pass.
>>
>>67004225
Babadook is a good example of horror clichés and jump scares being used to good effect
>>
File: 1447796881820.jpg (29 KB, 300x190) Image search: [Google]
1447796881820.jpg
29 KB, 300x190
>>67003952
>>67004205
Best jumpscare coming through
>>
>>67004225
Alien, Rosemary's Baby pregnancy and even more parenthood in general is probably the most common theme in horror
>>
File: tumblr_mjgo9udztb1s5jj9bo1_500.gif (494 KB, 500x213) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mjgo9udztb1s5jj9bo1_500.gif
494 KB, 500x213
>>67003904
This
>>
>>67004602
That's Some Un Chien Andalou shit right there
>>
Good jump scare:
>The Thing: Tense scene where you know a jump scare is inevitable and every single time Macready uses the hot iron on a blood sample there could be a jump but it's not until everyone is distracted and he absent-mindedly tests a sample that the jump finally comes. Also the only real jump in the entire film outside of a generic one later on that is only a "jump" because of a musical sting, unless you're really scared of Wilford Brimley
Bad Jump scare
>Inception: When Leo's dream wife looks over at Ellen Page and there's a fuckhuge musical sting for no real reason than to startle the fuck out of the audience

I mean technically you could say the second one is giving us a feel for what Ellen Page's character is thinking when she's noticed by this construct in Leo's dream, but it's just so goddamn out of place.
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.