[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hiroshima, Mon Amour
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3
File: download.jpg (10 KB, 194x260) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
10 KB, 194x260
Let's see if anyone here has enough film knowledge to discuss Hiroshima, Mon Amour.

Eric Rohmer and Jean Luc Godard described the film as the first modernist sound film back in a 1959 Cahiers du Cinema. I can see where they're coming from especially with the way the film blends documentary and metaphorical narrative and comparing some of the filmmaking ideas in this to Resnais later masterwork Last Year at Marienbad is instructive in a whole host of conceptual film techniques.
>>
bitch deserved the slap
based nip didn't even hesitate, just whacked her across the face
dumb hysterical rape victim
>>
>>66999350
There were plenty of modernist sound films before this one.
>>
>>66999376
And this, /tv/, is your current level of film analysis.
>>
>>66999377
Which would you consider modernist. Remember that it was released in 59 and Antonioni hadn't yet started with his modernist phase.
>>
You essentially said nothing in your post, actually make a point and it will be discussed, like how pedantic it is to legitimately compare Hiroshima to a troubled youth
>>
>>66999469
M
>>
In my opinion, the copious amount of unwarranted complex metaphysical ideologies makes Hiroshima almost unwatchable.
The movie is one of an exploratory nature yet drags itself down to the level of being almost Freudian in nature when an underlying Orwellianesque approach would have made the underspoken tones and modernist ideas contained within all the more prominent and potent.
>>
>>66999478
>The blind leading the blind

>>66999577
M follows standard plotting and exposition techniques of other movies of the time. I don't see anything particularly modernist about its themes, situations or techniques.
>>
>>66999607
Just stop, anon. I know you think you're funny, but you aren't.
>>
>>66999722
>M follows standard plotting and exposition techniques of other movies of the time.
You should try actually watching it some time!
>>
>>66999737
No, I am.
>>
>>66999747
You need to consider what it means to be modernist though.

The film having a "plot" at all is cause to question wether it can be considered modernist because plot is a construction that does not exist in reality. It is there solely for classic film form reasons.

And tell me, what you think M does differently from other sound films of the time while also distinguishing it from the modernist silent productions.
>>
>>66999879
You're confusing modernism with pomo, kid.
>>
>>66999931
No, I'm not. Modernism is concerned with stripping the conventions that no longer adequately describe the modern state of living. Antonioni is modernist, Resnais is modernist. Their themes and narrative construction are designed to more adequately describe the experience of being in those situations depicted on screen and the situations are those with real connotations rather than the fantastical.

Postmodernism has a focus on absurdism and pressing the limits of what can be considered art. It isn't about relating to anyone and that is a decidedly different goal than Resnais and Antonioni.

How do you define modernism as compared to postmodernism? Don't fall into the trap of assuming that architecture is analogous to the movement in relation to film or literature.
>>
>>66999469
Blood of a Poet
>>
>>67000155
Maybe in film they've developed their own wonky definitions of these two terms, but what you said does not at all describe modernism/postmodernism as they apply to literature
>>
Get a load of this pretentious fuck who doesn't actually want to discuss the movies. He wants to use the word 'modernism' and namedrop Cahiers du Cinema because it makes him feel special. When you're actually ready to discuss the film, we'll be here
>>
So this thread is really about how we can turn a film discussion in a parody of itself...
>>
Anon, HMA and Last year at Marienbad are absolutely *not* modernist films, I would find your assertion funny if I wasn't so triggered by how wrong you are
>>
File: Berniecuck.jpg (101 KB, 571x621) Image search: [Google]
Berniecuck.jpg
101 KB, 571x621
Not enough memes in here.

Step your game up /tv/
>>
>>67000743
who in this thread has discussed the film? There was nothing to turn it into in the first place because it never was a discussion
>>
>>66999350
> the way the film blends documentary and metaphorical narrative
>Resnais later masterwork Last Year at Marienbad is instructive in a whole host of conceptual film techniques.

So what do you have to say that can't be found on the back of the fucking dvd case
>>
>>67000772
The kid is too dark to be her biological child. Most likely adopted.
>>
>say something that even slightly deviates from buzzwords and memes
>insecure plebs get insta mad and sperg out
>>
>>67000849
You seem to have some experience with this, anon
>>
>>67000892
everything in the OP are buzzwords that wannabe film buffs use:
>masterwork
>metaphorical narrative
>conceptual techniques
>Cahiers du Cinema

Let's see if *you* have enough film knowledge to discuss Hiroshima, Mon Amour
>>
>>66999350
>especially with the way the film blends documentary and metaphorical narrative and comparing some of the filmmaking ideas in this to Marienbad is instructive in a whole host of conceptual film techniques
What film school tier drivel.
>>
>>67000962
>buzzwords
What a cretinous way out. I can say anything, give you a well-thought, long walltext and your anti-intellectual ass will accuse me of buzzwording.
>>
>>67001032
This post>>67000892
claimed that OP deviated from buzzwords. I merely pointed out that it absolutely does not, and actually embodies the shitty lexicon of buzzwords that pretend film buffs use. It is entirely bereft of content
>>
>>67001032
You are buzzwording no matter how "intellectual" you think the words may look or quantity of words you may think look impressive as compensation for quality. Your whole post is a text book masturbatory, self-indulgent critique from a self involved taste merchant. Honestly, I'm afraid to talk about film incase I meet people like you or people mistake me for being similar to people like you. You are everything I despise about the intellectual world. Pompous, superficial troglodytes. There's some buzzwording that work in this case. With complex' that fill the alphabet.
>>
>>66999469
Touch of Evil, Journey to Italy

checkmate
>>
File: a_man_escaped.jpg (127 KB, 348x490) Image search: [Google]
a_man_escaped.jpg
127 KB, 348x490
>>67000155
>Their themes and narrative construction are designed to more adequately describe the experience of being in those situations depicted on screen and the situations are those with real connotations rather than the fantastical.
Is this modernist then?
>>
>>66999350
Why do you read like an excerpt from a text book?
>>
I quite enjoy Left Bank films. I saw HMA this past January and thought it was great. HMA, La Jette and LYaM are all excellent IMHO.

Have any of you seen Je t'aime, je t'aime? What'd you think?
>>
>>67000155
>No, I'm not. Modernism is concerned with stripping the conventions that no longer adequately describe the modern state of living. Antonioni is modernist, Resnais is modernist. Their themes and narrative construction are designed to more adequately describe the experience of being in those situations depicted on screen and the situations are those with real connotations rather than the fantastical.
>Postmodernism has a focus on absurdism and pressing the limits of what can be considered art. It isn't about relating to anyone and that is a decidedly different goal than Resnais and Antonioni.
I take back what I said. You aren't confusing the two, you're just making shit up.
>>
>>67003219
Can you please type the real name of the movies ?
Hiroshima Mon Amour, La Jetée, and what's the third one?
>>
>>67003773
Last Year at Marienbad, newfriend
>>
>>67003773
Last Year at Marienbad.
>>
>>67003826
>>67003838
Thanks, i don't like talk in acronym
>>
>>66999350
>muh mouldings
>>
>>67003888
Sorry about that. Since the full names had already been mentioned, I deferred to abbreviations.
>>
>>67000772
These are just compassionate people raising an orphan

Meanwhile you are struggling to be clever on a chechnyan bulletin board for failed stamp collectors
>>
>>66999350
Watched it in French class 5 years ago and hated every second of it. The only positive thing about this movie is the Japanese guy's wacky laughter and the fact that it's still a meme for me and my friends

>QUATRE FOIS AUX MUSÉE
>QUELLE MUSÉE, A HIROSHIMA?
>QUATRE FOIS LE TEMPERATURE DU SOLEIL A LA PLACE DE LA PAIS
God I'm fucking up every male/female form
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.