[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some good early (pre-1950) color movies?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 8
File: oz.jpg (17 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
oz.jpg
17 KB, 600x400
What are some good early (pre-1950) color movies?
>>
File: Gone_with_the_Wind-1.jpg (88 KB, 600x431) Image search: [Google]
Gone_with_the_Wind-1.jpg
88 KB, 600x431
>>
>>66985573
Dumbo
>>
why is this movie so great bros?
>>
File: image.jpg (69 KB, 327x479) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
69 KB, 327x479
pic related my dude
>>
The Magnificent Ambersons Uncut Edition
>>
James Rolfe mentioned early colorization processes in one of his recent videos and he mentioned one that had really weird colors. Doctor something?

Any other Rolfebros know what it was?
>>
The Phantom of the Opera (ball sequence)
The Lottery Bride (ending only)
Mystery of the Wax Museum
A Star is Born
The Thief of Baghdad
any Technicolor film by Powell and Pressburger
Meet Me in St. Louis
Duel in the Sun
Leave Her to Heaven
She Wore a Yellow Ribbon
Ivan the Terrible part 2
>>
>/tv/ watching movies made before 1990

lmao
>>
>>66985693

Which one anon, Wiz or Wind?
>>
>>66985831
this is probably the single best answer tbdesu
>>
>>66985951
wiz
>>
>>66985911

Not watched Rolfe but it may have been Gasparcolor.
>>
File: rope.jpg (93 KB, 700x525) Image search: [Google]
rope.jpg
93 KB, 700x525
This is the best tbqh.
>>
Billy the Kid
>>
>>66985994

I'm not sure, I think the secret is that having a young adult play Dorothy allows children's imagination to be taken with gravity.
>>
>>66985911
Doctor Cuck?
>>
>>66985642

Is this actually good or is it just highly rated because it's a classic?
>>
>>66986506
It's not so highly rated anymore, but it's worth watching for the first part anyway.
>>
The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938)
>>
>>66986506

Movies become classics through being highly rated - people rated it higher than all the 1939 releases that most people alive today never give any thought. GWTW is a great movie, but it's not a great film, if that's what you're asking.
>>
>>66986583

Saw this a few weeks ago. Good fun stuff.
>>
>>66986616
It's not even the best movie of 1939. Hell, it's not even the best American movie of 1939.
I don't want to sound like a pretentious hipster, but GwtW is so highly rated mostly by the masses.

Some contemporary critics didn't like it.
> Frank S. Nugent for The New York Times best summed up the general sentiment by acknowledging that while it was the most ambitious film production made up to that point, it probably was not the greatest film ever made, but he nevertheless found it to be an "interesting story beautifully told".[45] Franz Hoellering of The Nation was of the same opinion: "The result is a film which is a major event in the history of the industry but only a minor achievement in motion-picture art. There are moments when the two categories meet on good terms, but the long stretches between are filled with mere spectacular efficiency."[46]
>>
>>66986506
The first half is excellent as you see the breakdown of society and cultural roles. Its nice to see Scarlet learn to take care of herself and not just act like a spoiled brat.

The second half....not so much.
>>
>>66986506
It's worth watching for Vivien Leigh. It's funny how this film often appears among the best romances of all time because 'the romance' part is the worst part of it.
>>
>>66986728

Not the best film, sure, but as a movie - 1939 was a good year for movies, but which do you think of specifically as being better than GWTW?
>>
>>66987361
Stagecoach, Ninotchka, The Roaring Twenties, The Wizard of Oz.
>>
>>66987749

The Wizard of Oz is also valued greatly by the masses, more than by critics.

Stagecoach and The Roaring Twenties are better films, but I'd be interested to hear why you think they're better as entertainment.

Ninotchka, though, is dreadful. Lubitsch was so crass, and when Wilder and Brackett are working for him it's crassness cubed. I don't understand what entertainment value it could have for 21st century people.
>>
>>66985573
>>
>>66986728
Pic related is a better 1939 movie and Ford's first in colour.
>>
>>66988148
I was coming here to say this.
>>
Black Narcissus
>>
>>66985573
Julie Andrews was pretty hot.
>>
>>66985573
What would Dorothy posting be like if /tv/ was around in 1939?

I'm guessing lots of ruby slipper speculation.
>>
>>66985642
My #1 fave movie of all time. I buy every collectors edition that's released. I have it on vhs, DVD, and bluray. I have several books and magazines about the production and development of GWTW, and I've watched all the documentaries about it. I even traveled to Austin to see the dresses, notes, and other items from the production at the Ransom Center.

I'm gonna fucking bawl my eyes out when Olivia de Havilland passes.
>>
>>66985573
God she's qt. In a nonsexual way.
>>
>>66985831
>>66985831
>>66988218
>any Technicolor film by Powell and Pressburger
Absolutly. My favorite is A Matter of Life and Death.
>>
>>66985911
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari?
>>
>>66988083
GwtW isn't even entertaining. It's mostly tedious, especially the second part.

>The Wizard of Oz is also valued greatly by the masses, more than by critics
It's valued by both. The Wizard of Oz is just a really cute film that aged very well.

And how can you not like Lubitsch?
>>
File: Kiernan glasses.jpg (3 MB, 3000x2328) Image search: [Google]
Kiernan glasses.jpg
3 MB, 3000x2328
>>66988689
About like Kiernan posting I'd say. Judy Garland was only 16 in the movie.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.