[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's up with pic related? Why is it so well acclaimed?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
File: br.jpg (403 KB, 800x1200) Image search: [Google]
br.jpg
403 KB, 800x1200
What's up with pic related? Why is it so well acclaimed? What I saw was a simple story, shitty character development, horrible acting, superficial attempt at creating drama and huge plot holes. Soundtrack is the only good thing about this movie for me. So tell me. why the fuck is it considered a great movie?
>>
>>66974710
Okay.
>>
>>66974710
I agree completely.

the premise makes it sound like it'll be trashy and exciting. instead it's just really bland

but it never got released over here, so people are probably acting snooty about how they tracked it down (it's not hard. there are torrents).

also it's weeaboo shit, so who knows their criteria for liking things
>>
>>66974710
There's a lower standard for Asian movies.
>>
That girl in the yellow tracksuit was pretty good.

The movie has plenty of exploitation appeal and the various scenarios are all pretty distinct. Bloodlust, teen drama and light social commentary are what it has going for it, and those are pretty popular.

It also got caught up in the cool Japan phenomena, if it came out today it would be less likely to be as well remembered
>>
>>66974710
I found this very shocking and memorable.

It's not terribly well made and the story is pretty dumb. Still, the direction did honestly give me a feeling of dread.

Some bits I found genuinely disturbing

* the kids jumping off the cliff together
* the initial death by arrow as they run out of the classroom. "it's real!"
* the girl who obviously seduced the guys into the hottub and kirred them

Not quite sure how the film conveyed this feeling of dread. I'd like to analyze it a bit more but don't want to watch this again desu.
>>
>>66974710
Bland is a good word, it's just kind of boring. I'm no fan of the Hunger Games, but if you're going to rip off of it, at least try to make it as exciting.
>>
>>66975053
>bland
It wasn't overstylised so that the tragedy of kids in a survival game would remain apparent
>>
>>66976145
battle royale was made in 2000 the hunger games books didn't even exist for another 8 years and the movies started in 2012.
>>
>>66974710
>why the fuck is it considered a great movie?

it isn't
>>
>>66976307
it's bait mate
>>
>>66976257
in a realistic world, Battle Royale wouldn't happen. IF this actually happened, would the kids just pussy out and wait for death? yeah.

regardless, I don't want to watch a movie about very boring japanese children crying about how they're going to die, with flashbacks trying to pull at my heartstrings.

make some fucking characters. be creative and use the premise to its full potential. SURPRISE ME with something that doesn't logically follow from what the premise is.

if you haven't seen BR, imagine the dullest way of going about it. there, you've seen the movie.
>>
File: 1409371497002.png (11 KB, 1284x1074) Image search: [Google]
1409371497002.png
11 KB, 1284x1074
I honestly couldn't form an emotional relationship with the characters because chinks all seem like soulless clones whom I can't relate to.
>>
File: uhf disapproves.jpg (30 KB, 463x324) Image search: [Google]
uhf disapproves.jpg
30 KB, 463x324
>book is pro-American, anti fascist, highly critical of Japan
>movie is pro fascism, anti-American, highly critical of liberalism and human rights

Why?
>>
>>66976944
They were saying that the Battle Royal was a shitty reactionary thing though
>>
>>66974710
It's just a fun action movie. Ignore anyone who pretends it's something deeper than that.
>>
Its still better than the hunger games
>>
>>66974710
ayy go watch the hunger games kid
>>
>>66974710
It's not acclaimed.
>>
>>66974710
The manga is a 10/10, I wonder if this movie is anywhere near as good.
>>
>>66974710
I honestly only watched it for Takeshi Kitano.

It's a fun concept. Turn your brain off and enjoy it.
>>
>>66974710
it's a 70's explotation film made in the 2000's if you expected anything else you are retarded
>>
>>66976314
>>66979829
It has a good critical reception. The biggest film rating sites also rate this movie very well (critics included).
>>
Shibasaki and the girl in the tracksuit were hot in this in a disturbing way.
>>
>>66981604
Power is sexy
>>
It had too many characters, meaning there wasn't enough time to get attached to them. It would have been much better if they halved it to 20.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.