[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone agree this movie is lame and overrated? I was really excited
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 3
Anyone agree this movie is lame and overrated? I was really excited to watch it for the first time but besides a few chuckle worthy moments I just found it underwhelming.
>>
>>66951658
i really liked it, honestly my favorite film of all time
>>
>>66951683
Interesting, maybe I should give it another chance. So many people consider it a comedy classic, I gotta be missing something.
>>
no way

wait and watch it again

>You're not allowed to rent here anymore!
>>
>37! My girlfriend sucked 37 dicks!
>In a row?
>>
It's probably one of the best movies ever made for under 30K . The sequel has more memorable comedic moments, and is pretty good.
>>
>>66951658
Its good, i like 2 as well. Chasing Amy was bretty gud and i liked mallrats. Strike back was funny when i was 14, but not any more and the animated series can suck my cock.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5D-9X3ooFvo
>>
I like 2 better.
>>
>>66951658
Nah. Loved it. Not even a big Kevin Smith fan otherwise but Clerks is good.
>>
>>66951658
No not really.
>>
I liked it when I was WEED LMAO years old. Now it's trash.
>>
Not very good, too much try hard "I'm such an intellectual, listen to me over analyze everything" shit. Kinda came off as whiney
>>
>Bunch of savages in this town.
>>
>>66951658
not really, its pretty underrated. this and mallrats is about finding suburban wonder in monotony, but his other films are pretty crap.
>>
>>66951658
Its fucking genius. You suck OP.
>>
>Big Deal, your girlfriend fucked a dead guy.So what? My mom's been fucking a dead guy for years. I call him Dad
>>
>>66951658
Go work at a gas station for to long and then come back.
>>
>>66951932
The animated series is fucking exceptional, you just have shit taste.
>>
(Op here) The vibe I'm getting is what I expected, there's something about this film I'm obviously not seeing and I'll for sure give it another chance. I honestly went into this movie expecting to love it, it seemed right up my alley but I really didn't find it funny. Maybe I'm just a giant fag, I don't know.
>>
>>66952441
watch mallrats
>>
>>66952486
and clerks 2
>>
>>66952441
What you are not getting is 90's edgy nostalgia for Kevin Smith shit, weed jokes, and that sense of "Hey I watched an indy film and enjoyed it...that means I am a deep thoughtful individual that can hold opinions about independent cinema and go be a fag about it!"
>>
>>66952441
>there's something about this film I'm obviously not seeing
You were born to late. It's very much a late gen x movie.
>>
Incredibly.

But it wasn't supposed to be amazing or anything.
>>
>>66951658
It's one of those movies that you are not allowed to claim you do not like because too many people just worship all things Kevin Smith and this is his first. Just do what everyone else does and cringe though it and then pretend you thought it was art in motion.
>>
>>66952121

This only happens when Randal gives Dante what for, at the end of the movie.

>>66952578

Nobody pretends it's art. It's just a funny and good movie. I love it, used to watch it on a monthly basis.
>>
>>66952578
>It's one of those movies that you are not allowed to claim you do not like
What kind of spineless beta cuck are you?
>>
>>66952700
No anon this movie is shit. It has always been shit. But it's a super edgy black and white independent "film" that people are required to give lip service to and claim they love so they can remain in social circles.

It's 2 hours of hipster douchebaggery in movie format.
>>
>>66951658
it's because you're a millennial NEET who can't relate to it, fucking dickbag.
>>
>>66952865
You don't have to relate to a movie for it to be entertaining. It's a fucking comedy, one that was never funny. When a comedy is painfully unfunny then it fails at its job.
>>
File: 1457275395811.jpg (250 KB, 1042x1020) Image search: [Google]
1457275395811.jpg
250 KB, 1042x1020
>>66952169
>about finding suburban wonder in monotony
this
>>
>>66952169
It's about "Lol comic geeks are funny!"

..that is about it
>>
>>66952974
>one that was never funny.
for you
>>
I'm convinced most people who make these threads lead a life completely bereft of joy and laughter. They wonder why is a movie that is loved by others not brining me any joy and they make this thread looking for others to validate their feelings. They do not want face the bleak and miserable existence that is their life so they need to know, it's the movie that isn't funny, there is nothing wrong with me.
>>
>>66953182
Or maybe they just enjoy film discussion
>>
>>66953182
Or they do not smoke a shitload of weed and then masturbate to weed jokes
>>
>>66953357
There isn't that much weed humor besides Jay, and it didn't go overboard until mallrats.
>>
>>66951658

I don't watch movies.
>>
>>66953497
Kevin Smith's entire range is

>lol smoke weed!
>fart jokes

and nothing else. If you are not into weed and fart jokes then nothing the mad writes will be funny
>>
>>66955169
lol ok then. you have obviously never seen clerks then
>>
>>66955744
Okay fine

>lol smoke weed
>fart jokes
>donkey shows

he did extend his range some with Clerks
>>
>>66951658
I love it to death. For a simple movie about a simple job it's just so damn entertaining. The dialog is wonderful and it's truly one of the comfiest movies ever made.
>>
>>66952543
I'm 19 and I loved every second of it.
>>
>>66955169
Tusk and Chasing Amy have literally none of that, but you've already brushed Kevin smiths work off so not like you'd care to know the truth.
>>
>>66951658
i think its an alright movie, pretty funny, but if you didnt like it the first time i dont reckon its worth the effort to try to like it
>>
So did everyone know a Randal when they were younger and growing up?

Were any of you a Randal?

Does anybody wish they were a Randal?
>>
>>66955169
>I've read people shitposting about Kevin Smith so I know all of his movies and what's in them!
>>
If you dont think the kevin smith story is one of the most inspirational true stories in all of modern history youre fucking dead inside
>>
>>66951658
It's great. Very funny and entertaining, and still holds up after all these years. I just found out (I know slowpoke) that Clerks got a blu-ray release (15th Anniversary Edition), with even more extras. Probably going to get that soon.

>>66952027
There's really nothing about weed in this movie. Kevin Smith didn't even smoke weed back then, and strangely enough only picked up cigarettes as a result of acting.

>>66952121
The characters do drone on a bit, but that's what makes the movie so interesting and enjoyable. People in real life don't really talk like that, but it's interesting to see how these characters act in this "view askewniverse".
>>
>>66951658
its reaaaaally fucking good, it has a spot on my top 10 easy.

and I don't even have a top 10!
>>
I love Clerks not just because it's a good movie but because of what it represents. Kevin Smith racked up $20,000 of credit card debt to make the movie. The reason there's gum in the lock and the shutters can't be opened is because they had to film all the scenes at night in the convenience store. Kevin Smith was an actual employee there and that's how they got permission to film.

Kevin Smith may have become a pathetic fat fuck, but he put it all on the line to make Clerks and I respect him for it.
>>
>>66955978
care to share it for a clueless anon?
>>
>>66956033
Pretty much this. The movie is an inspiration for most aspiring film makers and other artists.
>>
>>66951658
Clerks was good
Clerks: The Animated Series was better
>>
>>66952536
>weed jokes
confirmed for trashing a movie he's never seen.

You belong here on /tv/
>>
>>66956033
I heard he sold his Comic Book collection to help fund it.

That's pretty fucking neato, if we're being honest.
>>
>>66956066

Kevin smith literally just made a movie for shits and giggles with all his best bros, spent all his money on it for fun and became a massive icon of the indie scene and achieved all his wildest dreams just hanging with his friends and taking a risk

he talks about it a lot of a shit load of podcast episodes and all over at Q&A panels and shit if you want the details
>>
he's one of the few neckbeards to make it
>>
Clerks The Animated Series is what Kevin Smith was put on this planet to do.

In an alternate universe, Kevin chose to go with UPN (who were also interested in the series). The show aired after Dilbert, and the two shows went perfectly together. Their joint success, on a network without any major hits, led to both shows running for 8 years.

From being in the writing room with Dave Mandel and Brian Kelley, Kevin Smith becomes a much funnier writer who cranks out absurd jokes rather than trying to be an auteur. After Clerks TAS, Kevin either starts another animated sitcom or gets on the simpsons or bob's burgers or whatever.
>>
>>66951658
You had to be around in the 1990s. It's an epoch-defining film.
>>
>>66951658
its a handful of cute ideas like "salsa shark" and mostly bullshit. the movie sucks. it was edited in an offbeat way that made it tolerable, but it was not a good movie.
>>
File: 1457761197565.jpg (98 KB, 544x626) Image search: [Google]
1457761197565.jpg
98 KB, 544x626
>>66953182
>Leading a happy, fulfilled life
>Comes to 4chan
>>
>>66956192
>for shits and giggles
>$30,000 in debt
Those aren't the best words to describe it
He was pretty serious about film making
>>
>>66956009
>make lots of movies with your best friend who uses drugs
>never get stoned with him
>meet Seth "DUDE WEED LMAO" Rogan years later and start smoking after your best friend has gone through rehab and is now clean
Fuck Kevin Smith
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.