[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Coens were shitting on the communists, right?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4
File: 7XmbE4Zqp7Zx.jpg (151 KB, 1270x663) Image search: [Google]
7XmbE4Zqp7Zx.jpg
151 KB, 1270x663
The Coens were shitting on the communists, right?
>>
>>66943800
>(((Coens)))
>shitting on communists

pick one
>>
>>66943800
Obviously. They were lying hypocrites and the only person who takes them seriously is an airhead movie star.
>>
>>66943800
kikes love communism
>>
>>66943824
>>66943884
Not all Jews are communists. Ben Shapiro is a Jew and he's a flaming neo-conservative.
>>
They shitting on /pol/ styled "Cultural Marxism" conspiracies.
>>
>>66943884
>JEWS ARE CAPITALISTIC!!!!111 HOW DARE THEY HIRE A CHINK
>JEWS ARE COMMUNIST!!!!111 HOW DARE DEY TELL COMPANIES WHO TO HIRE

How does it feel to be a retard
>>
>>66943800
The Coens are conservatives, so yes.
>>
>>66943928
spotted the kike
>>
>>66943893
>neo-conservative.

Neo conservatism has its roots in Trotskyism ironically.
>>
>>66943947
Yeah man I'm clearly a jew who runs everything and I'm the reason why you're so fat and autistic.

You clearly don't have a nordic qt because you're white, your autism is totally nothing.
>>
File: armond white critic.jpg (22 KB, 300x279) Image search: [Google]
armond white critic.jpg
22 KB, 300x279
>>66943800
Yup.

>Here the film’s satire takes a fascinating turn. As Jewish filmmakers, the Coens frequently enjoy the license of making Philip Roth–like parody (especially in their 2009 A Serious Man – the word “serious” meaning “ethnic, religious”). In Hail, Caesar!, they evoke the hallowed subject of the Hollywood Blacklist. A voice-over narrator actually comes out and admits that “Whitlock found himself in the hands of Communists,” which goes against the self-righteous fantasies of Blacklist zealots who pretend there was no Communist conspiracy among Hollywood writers. This fallacy was the subject of last year’s Trumbo, a bio-pic so inept and falsely pious it deserves exactly the reprimand the Coens deliver.

>The screenwriter scenes feature a coup: The high-living scribes are visited and encouraged by one Herbert Marcuse, spoofing the famous philosopher of the Frankfurt School, who comes down from his tenured perch at Stanford to foment the studio revolt. (“History — economics. Same thing, don’t you agree?” the sage pontificates.) The Marcuse joke corresponds with the Frankfurt School condemnation of Michael Walsh’s essential book The Devil’s Pleasure Palace: The Cult of Critical Theory and the Subversion of the West. Credit the Coens’ superior snarkiness for their being the first American filmmakers to bring up cultural hegemony in a mainstream motion picture. They had previously invoked the SDS’s Port Huron Statement and art-world nihilists in The Big Lebowski, but with no political resonance. Hail, Caesar! exposes the sanctimoniousness of Ben-Hur kitsch as well as the self-conscious moralism of Frankfurt philosophers such as Marcuse and Theodor Adorno, author (with Max Horkheimer) of the oft-quoted but rarely heeded indictment The Culture Industry. Between deriding both the Port Huron Statement and The Culture Industry, the Coens stake out bold territory.
>>
>>66943920
What? The film says that cultural Marxism is real. At one point the communist writers talk about sneaking propaganda into the films they write.
>>
>>66943978
nice projection
>>
>>66944067
and calling me a kike isn't projection?
>>
>>66943893
Ben is supporting Cruz, Cruz' wife is goldman sachs.

>oompeliboompeli Shapiro is shilling for Israel.
>>
>>66944083
you sure go into a lot of detail with your insults

seems like projection to me
>>
>>66944116
And calling me a kike isn't projection?
>>
>>66943800
they were shitting on capitalism aswell
>>
>>66944255
>likening the movie industry, one of the most capitalist forms of production, to a modern religion
Nah
>>
>>66944243
butthurt kike lmao
>>
I genuinely think this is the worst movie I've ever seen in theatres. Anyone else agree?
>>
>>66943928
how does it feel to be so butthurt you write in caps?
>>
>>66943800
Wow OP, did you figure that out when they showed Communists engaging in kidnap and extortion, or when they were also shown to be bumbling idiots lead by a treacherous homosexual?
>>
>>66944356
>lead by a treacherous homosexual

so depicting current reality?
>>
>>66943800
Yes its what made the movie great. It made fun of how self righteous Hollywood is and how ridiculous it is that they are still butt hurt about the blacklist. They directly call the writers communist and show them to be stupid argumentative hypocrites.
>>
Your favorite critic /tv/

http://www.out.com/armond-white/2016/2/03/hail-caesar-teases-gay-old-hollywood
>>
>>66944029
And it manifests itself as homoerotic dance numbers. It's supposed to be ridiculous.
>>
>>66944888

>character is an actor who stars in musical films
>is gay

what a big twist
>>
>Dad wants to see this movie
>I'm so disinterested in seeing it but wanted to do him a favor
>Get to Channing Tatums dance scene
>Not amazed but better than I expected, somewhat engaged
>Dad taps my shoulder and points to the exit
>walk out and he says he's not wasting another moment on that "like bullshit"
T-Thanks dad
>>
>>66945135
*kike bullshit
>>
>>66944340
Yes. Plebs agree with you.
>>
Best film in a good while
>>
God bless America!
>>
I went to see this on a date. She was asleep on my shoulder. I was resting my head on her soft hair. Ended up 2/3rd through the film and realised I had no fucking clue what was happening.

I was a bit annoyed when I left, looked it up and noticed it's actually pretty well received by critics and definitely worth watching.

Why the fuck did the sailor actors end up being actual sailors dancing onto a russian submarine...
>>
>>66944347
Do you even get satire faggot
>>
File: ss+(2016-03-12+at+12.40.00).jpg (78 KB, 736x320) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-03-12+at+12.40.00).jpg
78 KB, 736x320
Ah, finally a Hail Caesar! Thread
Whats the deal with the low audience score /tv/?
>>
>>66947891
The end of history

Audiences too much demand explanation in films. Requiring prior knowledge is anathema
>>
>>66945135
>>66945161
Your father is a pleb who missed the point. Channing Tatum's character is a treacherous communist. The Coen brothers were mocking leftist propaganda, not endorsing it.
>>
Which director could actually revive the biblical epic?

Clint Eastwood?
>>
File: baby american sniper.webm (987 KB, 720x304) Image search: [Google]
baby american sniper.webm
987 KB, 720x304
>>66948314
I don't know about Clint, he's a good director but he's getting lazy in his old age. American Sniper wasn't bad but there were some appallingly fuck ups in it. I think Martin Scorsese could pull it off but he has never done something of that magnitude.
>>
>>66948482
>appallingly
Meant to say appalling.
>>
>>66948482
Scorsese would be one to watch
>>
>>66948482
the first baby showed up to set with a fever
backup was a complete no-show
they had no choice, otherwise they'd end up delaying filming
>>
>>66948605
Well, I'll cut Clint some slack but the baby wasn't the only fuck up. There was some really bad CGI.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.