[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How come Babylon 5 doesn't have a lasting appeal and fanbase
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5
File: b5lt.jpg (205 KB, 900x350) Image search: [Google]
b5lt.jpg
205 KB, 900x350
How come Babylon 5 doesn't have a lasting appeal and fanbase like Star Trek and Star Wars?
>>
File: gkar.jpg (41 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
gkar.jpg
41 KB, 500x281
I don't know but I wish we had more B5 threads.
>>
why do trolls post here? oh, right, because 4chan doesn't have a religion forum.
>>
Poor special effects. Even George Lucas knew how lucky he was to skate by with Star Wars TOS which is why he enhanced them as soon as he had the chance.
>>
>>66888941

The CGI does not hold up - it was shitty even when it was on the air.

Still, I like the show. Except for the Earth-Minbari War. The hurr durr we can't target the Minbari ships pissed me off. You know their range, you know their heading, you their speed - that's all you need to put rounds on target. At the very least they could have focused on missiles to simply spam the Minibari ships which don't have point defense systems.

And the humans apparently forget all their centuries of combat. They didn't attack Minibari command and control structures, they didn't attack Minibari production facilities, or infrastructure, or military bases, or shipyards, or even make a gambit to hit their homeworld.
>>
>>66888941

Well it's not a franchise that's been active for decades for one.
>>
>>66888941
>russian chick gets a bad ass spaceship to command
>Excalibur is a glass cannon because no time for bioskin.

The ships in babylon 5 were really cool
>>
>>66888941
>shit CGI and production values, feels cheap
>doesn't have 'Star' in the title to tell people it's space
>religious baby boomers flick to it because Babylon = bible stuff
>see it's gay shit for nerds and turn it off
>entirety of fanbase is the 0.38% of baby boomers that are autistic scifi junkies

no wonder it flopped fampai
>>
>>66888941
I still rewatch the series every now and then. Remember it never had a huge fanbase to begin with.
>>
File: Morden.jpg (32 KB, 695x395) Image search: [Google]
Morden.jpg
32 KB, 695x395
>>66888941
Because people on /tv/ have shit taste.

>>66888988
Same family.

>>66889068
I think the CGI is at it's worst in season 1. It gradually gets better, but even still I never had a problem with it and I only started watching the show in 2014. I've watched all the way through at least 3 times since.

Also you're forgetting that we started losing ships quickly and soon enough tactics like running for their homeworld (which would most certainly contain defense beyond belief) wouldn't have worked. Earth was on the defensive the entire war. Also I'm sure at some point we were just blind firing at them, it just didn't work so well.
>>
>>66888941
it was crap like ds9 without the star trek ip to hold it up
>>
>>66889933
They were fighting at ranges measured in light seconds. Visual targeting over open sights doesn't do shit.
>>
A very based show, it was made too early. If it was made during the era of instant streaming and Netflix I guarantee you it would have a bigger fanbase. Although knowing today's viewers it would attract undesirables like Tumblr tards who would write slash Londo/K'gar.

Also anyone who dismisses the show simply for shit CGI is a underclass pleb with no taste.
>>
>>66890314
I don't think I could stand it if it were made these days. Look at what JMS did with Sense8. Turned it into an SJW fan-fest. The last thing I would want is a black Ivanova, a beta white male Sheridan and a transgendered Garibaldi. I shudder at the thought.
>>
>>66890314

It looked bad then, though. It looked like Reboot or a Barbie animation.
>>
>>66888941

It's weirdly right-wing and the aliens are all really obvious placeholders for Europeans. To the extent of looking like fucking Napoleon.
>>
Great show. People shit on the CGI but I remember being scared shitless of the Shadow spaceships. The plot is 10/10 and has a narrative style that puts Star Wars and Star Trek to shame.

Real problem is it had a shitton of filler and that the first season is completely introductory, so scifi fans who are on the spectrum couldn't hold the attention for so long
>>
I felt like most of the plots ended disappointingly in the show. The Shadow War had such a disappointing end. "Get the hell out of our galaxy?" Really, Space Bill Clinton? The worst part is, it works.

Show did well when it came to Narns and Centurians (despite the shitty designs of them) though. The prophecy stuff with Londo was the best prophecy stuff I've seen in a show.
>>
File: url.jpg (10 KB, 195x258) Image search: [Google]
url.jpg
10 KB, 195x258
I hated this bitch, self righteous.
considering the Minbari was going to wipe out humanity even though we surrendered fully show that they were all like this.

with the exception of Leneer, he was pretty based
>>
It doesn't appeal to cosplaying cunts. That's a mark of quality.
>>
>>66893842
I hated what they did to Lennier in the second to last episode. Just plain old character assassination that ruined him for me
>>
>>66888941
its not as 'casual' as the others
long arcs and serious tone

The universe isn't as 'expansive'
>>
>>66893604
Yeah they suddenly thought the show would not get a season five so the rushed all the shadow war ending. Then they got another season and had fuckall for story.
>>
Anyone who says the CGI was shitty when it was on the air is a fucking retard and more than likely underage.

Yes the CGI has aged badly but for CGI made on television in 1993 it was legit.
>>
>>66889754

all of the russian chick stories are shit. literally worst of the worst tiers.
>>
>>66894132
It looked ridiculous at the time, dog. Everyone commented on this fact. It was ground breaking in certain ways, but it was still bad.

Furthermore, it wasn't an aesthetic choice, as they could've accomplished all the same things with hand-drawn animation, except it would've been harder and less gimmicky.
>>
>>66894312
Who used hand drawn animation? It was cgi or models. Star trek used models at the time but that always meant 2-3 ships at most onscreen.
>>
>>66888988
Keep this up, G'kar, and soon you won't have a thread to protect.
>>
>>66894312
The ship designs are still cool. The Narn vs Shadows battle, the Shadow Dancing battle still look pretty cool today.

Imagine what the Narn cruisers, Shadow ships, Minbari cruisers, Centauri Vorchan, and Star Fury's would look like now.
>>
File: TwilightGkar01.jpg (23 KB, 574x382) Image search: [Google]
TwilightGkar01.jpg
23 KB, 574x382
>>66894417
No mod, no janitor can hold an imprisoned population by deleted threads forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need to shitpost. Against that power tyrants and dictators cannot stand. /tv/ learned that lesson once. We will teach it to them again. Though it take a thousand bans, we will be free.
>>
>>66893604
The Shadow War ending was clearly condensed to fit everything into Season 4 (they did not expect a season 5), so it got crammed into about 3 episodes.
>>
>>66888941
>oxigen
>>
My "associates", I loved that term.

> Wear a Shadow t-shirt.
> No one at work knows what it is

Being a Babylon 5 fan is suffering.
>>
Watch Star Trek TGN, think the Borg are cool.

Watch B5...the Shadows make the Borg look like a bunch of pansies.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.