[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is the musical dead?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 4
File: inthenavy.jpg (144 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
inthenavy.jpg
144 KB, 1280x720
Is the musical dead?
>>
nah, i guarantee ten years from now, they'll turn some meme musical like hamilton into a movie, it will sweep the oscars, and then a new generation of shitty musicals will be born
>>
>>66885756
hamilton is actually pretty good despite its current meme status, I would say that this is probably pretty accurate. I wouldn't be surprised if a film comes up within five years
>>
>>66885713
>Joel and Ethan Coen make a musical

I'd be down for this. Was "No Dames" original?
>>
>>66885987
they already did a folk music movie
>>
>>66885961
I haven't listened to a single track from Hamilton. Should I? Would it be better to listen to it or watch it on Youtube, if any's available?
>>
Wicked is gonna bring 'em back.
>>
>>66885987
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgzvTHsOxSQ
>>
>>66885713
I fucking hate musicals. Fuck you kid.
>>
If Crazy Exgirlfriend gets popular, there may be a resurgence...
>>
>>66886136
Nice. Not exactly that song, I don't think.
>>
>>66886195
oh its not a copy, its one of the inspirations though
>>
>>66886214
Yeah I can imagine.

Also Tatum was perfect for that role. He pulls it off well.
>>
>>66885713
https://youtu.be/VcYTilauRLo
>>
File: wut.jpg (16 KB, 330x333) Image search: [Google]
wut.jpg
16 KB, 330x333
>>66886145
>I hate musicals
>YOU'RE the one who's a kid here
>>
Les Miserables was like 2 years ago
>>
>>66886081
it's actually really good

just based on the fact that it was "hiphop", the production had some stupid elements, and the kind of people i know who love it, i turned up my nose at first, but i ended up enjoying it
>>
>>66885713
I hope so
>>
the american psycho musical looks cool but im too poor to pay for broadway tickets lol

heres some clips from a rehearsal of it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZNG1q2FLkc
>>
>>66886264
Right, but if you look at recent movie musicals, you have Les Mis, which was a huge ensemble expensive epic that recieved a resounding eh, and then that disastorous black annie,

there were some films in the works that got canned after that
>>
>>66886283
Doesn't look half bad
>>
>>66886335
what about those live TV specials?
Didn't Fox do pretty well with Grease?
And they're doing Rocky Horror later this year
>>
>>66886383
Didn't Sound Of Music and Peter Pan get done as well?
>>
>>66886414
anything goes when?
>>
>>66886081
its a rap musical about alexander hamilton. does that appeal to you? not me.
>>
>>66886433
I'll be frank, I have no idea whether or not that would appeal to me. Majority opinion approves of it, and one of my best friends fucking loves it.

Figure with all that it's worth at least a shot.
>>
>>66885713
Musicals are no longer about pure entertainment and entertaining people. Instead they're just excuses to shoehorn actresses into roles where they are supposed to sing, even though most of them cannot really sing. Les Miserables and Into the Woods come to mind.
>>
>>66886283
you wait a year and if its any good its in Chicago at like 25% the cost of Broadway.
>>
>>66886477
if you need an extra push, i guarantee knowing just a single song can get you laid
>>
the jerry springer musical sounds fucking funny imma dl it

>Jerry Springer: The Opera is a British musical written by Richard Thomas and Stewart Lee, based on the television show The Jerry Springer Show. The musical contains irreverent treatment of Judeo-Christian themes, extensive profanity, and surreal images, such as a troupe of tap-dancing Ku Klux Klan members. The musical is completely sung through, with only two exceptions: the title character, Jerry, who speaks throughout the production; and Steve Wilkos, who has a brief speech.

The musical ran for 609 performances in London from April 2003 to February 2005 before touring the UK in 2006. The production won four Laurence Olivier Awards, including Best New Musical. The first North American performance was at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas to benefit Golden Rainbow, featuring performers for the then-current versions of The Phantom of the Opera, Mamma Mia!, and other Las Vegas Strip theatrical shows. The musical has been performed by a number of American regional theatre companies and made its New York City debut on 29–30 January 2008 at Carnegie Hall. Harvey Keitel starred as Jerry Springer.

Jerry Springer: The Opera was the subject of controversy beginning in January 2005, when its UK television broadcast on BBC Two elicited 55,000 complaints.[1] The organisation Christian Voice led street protests against the screening at nine BBC offices[2] and announced their intention to bring blasphemy charges, due to the depictions of the Judeo-Christian characters in Act II. The Christian Institute attempted to bring a private prosecution against the BBC,[3] but the Magistrates Court refused to issue a summons, a decision which was later upheld by the High Court of Justice.[4] Protests continued at tour venues in 2006 and on the Internet.
>>
>>66886508
Well, gonna listen to the whole album now, thanks.
>>
File: 324234234.jpg (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
324234234.jpg
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>66885713
these things are only good live. The movie-musicals they've been making lately are boring as fuck. Les Mis was decent but that's about it. Pic related was trash even though the actual musical is fun
>>
>>66886566
>implying Agony wasn't funny as shit

Rest of the movie was forgettable though.
>>
>>66886429
they'll never take a chance on a show that hasn't been turned into a timeless film, no matter how classic. it would be pretty dope though, shame they couldn't have made it into a film during that jazz age craze a couple of years ago
>>
>>66886566
Les Mis the movie was a travesty. A nightmare. Into the Woods was directed by the best movie musical filmmaker right now which is Rob Marshall.
>>
>>66886590
i saw it live and i can assure you the movie does not compare. I mean shit, it was done by my high school and it was better. Not they aren't good actors or singers it just doesn't have the same impact than when it's live
>>
>>66886645
well i really like hugh jackman so im probably biased, plus sacha baron cohen. But no matter who you are, Master of the House was GOAT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7k6uqhKEAOM
>>
>>66886566
>>66886590

Galavant was pretty good in the first season. Second was good plotwise but I there weren't any memorable songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLrpb8Z--fs
>>
Been a while since I've caught a musicals thread, taking requests for cast recordings

Already posted
http://pastebin.com/ehWCCpa1
>>
>>66886649

I can believe that, most musicals don't. I've seen Jersey Boys Live like 3 times and it never fails to be charming and catchy every time. The movie, on the other hand, was desaturated all to hell and cut way too much out. Looked like I was watching a crime thriller rather than fucking Frankie Valli and The Four Seasons.
>>
>>66886739
Its all due to the magic of live theatre and the intimacy that comes from it
>>
>>66885713

Not in India.
>>
>>66886268
Bright young man
>>66886433
Yo who the f is this
>>
>>66886757
Yeah, sounds about right.

Was in a couple musicals in high school, and a couple plays as well. There's nothing quite like the feeling of running through a play, then realizing that months of rehearsals and line memorizations has finally paid off, that you're basically able to to it in your fucking sleep.
>>
I think the main difference is the modern cultural perception of Broadway. In the first half of the twentieth century, it was a central part of american culture, where even people who could never dream of affording tickets still knew all of the songs because they were always on the radio being covered by the Pop Stars of the day. The Great American Songbook is almost entirely made-up of songs that made their debut on stage. Sometime however, after Porter, the Gershwin's, Rodgers and Hammerstein, and Berlin died, post the 60's. Broadway became more of a dainty thing that was only enjoyed by the super-cultured or very rich, and definitely grew negative connotations for men.
I think it lost most of its market there, and thats why the musical has become a novelty rather than the force of cinema that it once was
>>
>>66886894
such a shame. theater is another level of entertainment. I think we could bring it back if we make it like it was in London c. shakespeare.

whoring, drinking, the whole nine yards. Bring it back to the people, you know?
>>
File: Diepardiu.jpg (232 KB, 652x764) Image search: [Google]
Diepardiu.jpg
232 KB, 652x764
>>66886692
>le meme character song was GOAT
>>
>>66886787
Just listened to the first song, now listening to Aaron Burr, Sir.

Holy shit, I'm surprised. This is weird but kinda cool at the same time.
>>
>>66887004
yeah, i really liked it. im a pleb though so grain of salt and all that
>>
>>66886692
>implying One Day More/Do You Hear The People Sing isn't the absolute greatest
>>
Depite being a jukebox musical, Jersey Boys was executed much better than Les Mis
>>
>>66887130
as long as you have a slightly competent javert, Javert's Suicide and Stars is the best part of the show,

also the confrontation is always dope af
>>
>>66887186
True shit nigga.

Also holy shit I'm really liking Hamilton so far. It's such a weird concept but they pull it off so well.
>>
>>66887186
I thought they were the best in the movie as well. Fuck the snobs who are so hung up on Crowe's voice that they can't appreciate Javert's parts.
>>
movie musicals? I fucking hope so.

stage productions? Fuck no, they're the ones filling seats at the moment. Just look at Hamilton, for instance.
>>
>>66886590
It would take a lot to fuck up Agony, so I don't really see how that's a plus for the movie.
>>
>>66887314
I'm not really familiar with the original, I guess I oughta see it then.
>>
>>66886894
disney still has musicals, but they are pop covers instead of original compositions
the musical type of song is out of fashion, which is telling a narrative by singing. also the lack of good songwriters
>>
>>66886268
Just listened through Right Hand Man.

Fuck me, this is awesome.
>>
>>66887160
You mean the movie? If so, ehh...
>>
>>66886590
They cut the Agony reprise.
>>
>>66887277
I agree, I don't understand why people shit on Crowe so much. He did fine, and personally I liked how soft he sang Stars.
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.