[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Wow! Motion picture AND sound at the same time!? Thank God we
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6
File: jazz singer.jpg (109 KB, 1453x1078) Image search: [Google]
jazz singer.jpg
109 KB, 1453x1078
Wow! Motion picture AND sound at the same time!? Thank God we live in such an fantastic time!
>>
This won't last, everyone will go back to the radio soon
>>
sound movies will never be a thing, just like smell-o-vision and 3d died out after just a few years
>>
>>66872106
stupid novelty
I give it a year
>>
>>66872106
Another stupid gimmick just to make the tickets more expensive. It won't last.
>>
File: Lightsofnewyork.jpg (29 KB, 220x311) Image search: [Google]
Lightsofnewyork.jpg
29 KB, 220x311
>>66872144
I don't know, I've been hearing some rumors the boys up at Warner Brothers are cooking up a movie with actual spoken words! Can you believe it!
>>
>>66872249
talkies are a jewish plot to destory america
mark my words
>>
File: 1380943134894.jpg (131 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1380943134894.jpg
131 KB, 500x500
Not all who saw the The Jazz Singer were favourably impressed. This is how the author Aldous Huxley felt about it.

"The film concludes with a scene in the theatre with Mammy mine in the stalls and the son warbling down at her the most penetratingly vulgar mammy song that it had ever been my lot to hear - my flesh crept as the loudspeaker poured out his sodden words, that greasy sagging melody. I felt ashamed of myself for listening to such things, for even being a member of the species to which such things are addressed".

And amongst film directors who were anti-talking pictures:

D.W. Griffiths: "We don't want and never shall the human voice in our movies".

Paul Rotha: "A film in which the speech and sound effects are perfectly synchronised and coincide with their visual image is absolutely contrary to the aims of cinema. It is a degenerate and misguided attempt to destroy the use of film."

...and Gilbert Seldes 1929 comment - "The tinkle of a glass, the shot of a revolver, a footfall on a hardware floor and the noise of a pack of playing cards being shuffled, all sound alike" doesn't quite tie up with Fred Tomlin's memory of early talkies.
>>
Oh look, another talkieshit thread

Grow up
>>
>>66872418
>D.W. Griffiths: "We don't want and never shall the human voice in our movies".
god speaks truth
literally invented cinema
>>
>recorded voice
>in my movies

Think of the Piano Players!
>>
>>66872545
breaking the meme: anyone got a good source for learning about what talkies did to the film industry?
any article, book, or documentary will do
>>
>>66872573
watch singing in the rain
>>
>>66872418
>Paul Rotha: "A film in which the speech and sound effects are perfectly synchronised and coincide with their visual image is absolutely contrary to the aims of cinema. It is a degenerate and misguided attempt to destroy the use of film."
That explains the shitty dubbing in Fellini I guess.
>>
>>66872603
that would be for information/entertainment
I need it for a history paper
>>
>>66872573

Have one link, if not, buy books about the topic
>http://blogs.ubc.ca/etec540sept12/2012/10/28/the-end-of-an-era-from-silent-film-to-talkies/
>>
File: David_Wark_Griffith.jpg (345 KB, 789x994) Image search: [Google]
David_Wark_Griffith.jpg
345 KB, 789x994
>>66872106
>>66872249
Absurd in the highest degree. What next continuing this fervent path, Negroes alongside Whites? Scandal! We should all forget this mockery of film and settle back away from this puritanical, zealous nonsense.
>>
>>66872638
thanks a shitload
need as many sources as possible
>>
>>66872619

Well almost every italian movie was dubbed back then, because

>They signed foreign actors, so they just dubbed later in italian
>Lots of co-productions with france, germany and others, so they dubbed later in italian
>The studios were beside a fucking airport, so they dubbed later in italian.

They didn't care too much about dialgues from the actors and that bothers me too mucht whey they are talking and they are out syncro, fucking spaghettis.
>>
>tfw the manly actor you admire and strived to be like sounds like a nancy
>>
>>66872659
>le DW Griffith is a hate filled old white man meme
watch pic related, it's even on fucking netflix
>>
>>66872659
Funny thing is his last two films were talkies.
>>
>>66872659
hey Dave, when was the last time any of your films turned a profit?
>>
>>66872418

Think that recording systems were literally primitive at that point. So even if you have a lot of action like horses or singing or gunfight, it all sounds clipped and distorted. So from hearing live musicians or even live orchestras with their movies, people were now listening to the equivalent of an m4a transcoded to mp3, then compressed at 16kps.
>>
File: Birth_of_a_Nation.jpg (423 KB, 800x1234) Image search: [Google]
Birth_of_a_Nation.jpg
423 KB, 800x1234
>>66872754
>>66872790
Well, I guess old Davie isn't exactly a stickler for his beliefs!
>>
>All those actors which lives got ruined because they had ugly voices or didn't speak english propertly

Feels bad, man
>>
>>66872913
got any stories.... sourced stories?
>>
>>66872927

John Gilbert comes to my mind, but that's mostly because booze and Garbo dumping him the same day of his wedding.
>>
>>66873284
Gilbert had a decent sounding voice, his career was just sabotaged by the studios.
>>
>>66872418

The Huxley thing is arguably just British upper-middle-class discomfort with American effusiveness.

Griffith ended up making two great talkies himself, Abraham Lincoln and The Struggle.
>>
>>66872754

The inspiration for Intolerance was his feels about people criticizing him for the racism of The Birth of a Nation. It was a screed of narcissistic self-pity. It and Birth are also two of the greatest films ever made, of course.
>>
>>66874896
>Abraham Lincoln
>good talkie

It's a perfect example of how clunky the transition from silent to sound was for most movies.
>>
for fucks sake i thought we finally got sound for our webms
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.