[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /tv/ think of this movie? >inb4 Milkshake meme
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 7
File: There Will Be Blood.jpg (73 KB, 695x927) Image search: [Google]
There Will Be Blood.jpg
73 KB, 695x927
What does /tv/ think of this movie?
>inb4 Milkshake meme
/v/edditors are not welcome.
>>
File: Paul_Dano_Deauville_2012[1].jpg (51 KB, 463x509) Image search: [Google]
Paul_Dano_Deauville_2012[1].jpg
51 KB, 463x509
Classic.
>>
Fantastic score
Fantastic acting
Fantastic cinematography
Fantastic pacing
Fantastic opening
Fantastic ending

I'm not kidding, this movie is great, probably top 10 for me
>>
It's a very good film and I enjoy it. Simple well told story. Great acting. Inspired at least partially by McCabe and Mrs. Miller and the Treasure of Sierra Madre. The capitalism vs religion stuff is poignant, but I prefer to see it as one man's feverish struggle vs. nature, fate. What does OP think?
>>
>>66870688
10/10 literal perfection PTA is a genius

DDL sometimes feels like he's overacting (notably when he's dancing and shouting around the bowling alley) but he's otherwise perfect

Paul Dano is classic and an excellent supporting actor.
>>
one of the best films of the 2000s
>>
File: 1453736429888.jpg (34 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1453736429888.jpg
34 KB, 1280x720
>having a civil conversation with someone
>all of a sudden he tells you
>one night, I'm gonna come to you, inside of your house, or wherever you're sleeping, and I'm gonna cut your throat.
how do you react?
>>
File: twbb.jpg (360 KB, 2048x1024) Image search: [Google]
twbb.jpg
360 KB, 2048x1024
On of the greatest character study since Taxi Driver.
True masterpiece
>>
File: 1456514483910.jpg (29 KB, 576x382) Image search: [Google]
1456514483910.jpg
29 KB, 576x382
>I can't keep doing this on my own, with these... people.
what did he mean by this?
>>
Trash, like the majority of PTA's flicks.

>/v/edditors are not welcome
That's why you should leave. There Will be Blood is essential imd/v/eddit-core
>>
>>66871603
Wow you really covered all your bases there. What do you find trash about it?
>>
>>66871603
nice try /v/edditor
PTA makes pure pleb repelling kinema
>>
>>66871603
>using the flicks/movies/films meme
I say no /v/edditors are welcome here you absolute pleb
>>
I didn't care for it much. Whatever message the film had was lost on me. It felt like a waste of time.
>>
>>66870789
This. All those reasons. I wouldn't put it in my personal top ten, but I'd still consider it one of the best films I've ever seen.
>>
>>66870688
But TWBB is /v/-tier shit
>>
>>66871677
>>66871722
>>66871794
PTA is a fraud; a copycat with no thought of his own. His whole career has been an attempt to emulate other filmmakers. Even such task was proven to be a little bit too much for him, since all he could take from masters like Altman is an empty shell, a superficial veneer of artistry that dazzles those that aren't paying enough attention. There Will Be Blood, for example, is a bastardized version of Treasure of Sierra Madre. His movies feel old, because they're a pastiche from things decades older.
>>
>>66872030
this. anyone who has watched more than a few movies should be able to see right through it
>>
>>66872030
This. All PTA knows how to do is imitate. Especially Kubrick, Welles, Altman, etc. All the Americna greats.
>>
>>66872030
nice completely substanceless review
>>
>>66870688
Found it pretty good. Didn't like DDL that much, thought Dano outdid him. I can't stand his over-acting.
>>
>>66872030
Could you please teach me the ability to write a paragraph with no substance? You seem to be a master of it.
>>
>>66871447
He's tired of carrying scrubs
>>
Dano played really well.

Daniel Day-Lewis played... I don't know, his character was such an edgelord weirdo that I couldn't take him seriously.

The scene where they struck oil and it caught fire was incredible.
>>
>>66870688
Good, but it's main purpose was the prepare PTA to make his one and only true masterpiece. Interesting that the main scene people remember from TWBB is the fire scene...
>>
>>66871253
He didn't suffer fools well, what don't you get about this?
>>
File: 1455893892739.jpg (25 KB, 250x201) Image search: [Google]
1455893892739.jpg
25 KB, 250x201
>>66870688
I rewatched this movie with my parents the other day and they criticized that the soundtrack seems completely out of sync with the movie. Like you have a slow shot of a landscape and intense, dissonant music is playing over it.

They kept criticizing that part of the movie.
I wonder if they were right, i thought it kind of added to the uncannyness of the whole thing.
>>
>>66872657
The Master is fucking good
>>
>>66872878
check the trailer out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeSLPELpMeM

outstanding trailer that really displays the theme of the movie. people may be unaware but the music in one of the aspects that really makes the film stand out.

the score is basically another representation of plainviews mind, as he drifts more and more into his insanity. this is why we see normal environments with this dissonant music, to show plainview's mind is out of place.

the soundtrack is at one moment harmony, then loud, clashing and jarring to show how distressed plainview is inside. this i feel perfectly displays the tense and unsettling feeling of the film.
>>
>>66870789
easily top 10 for me, possibly my favorite
>>
>>66873605
I don't remember that scene with Abel and Eli in the campfire
>>
CCLLAASSSSIICC
>>
>>66870688

I think when the most ambitious thing a big indie director can think of doing is making a John Huston pastiche, the genius of the age is definitely no longer emanating from American cinema. A big-money movie about the savagery of capitalism is already an assinine proposition without Daniel Day Lewis chewing the inside of his face and all the reductive implications that it's human nature so tough shit, let's watch the carnage and feel noble.
>>
>>66871906

I thought that about some ordinary movies when I was wee. See more.
>>
>>66872030
>>66872194

These people are correct.
>>
>>66870789
Also >that confession scene
>>
ass of jesse jame by the cuck bobby ford was better in every way
>>
>>66872030
please tell me something about "The Master"
>>
>>66874822

Not that anon, but I think the fact it got funded as a rich woman's whim sets a bad precedent, and encourages unrealistic expectations among young aspirant filmmakers.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.