[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>According to John Carpenter, the opening of the film with
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: big trouble-min.jpg (429 KB, 1000x1426) Image search: [Google]
big trouble-min.jpg
429 KB, 1000x1426
>According to John Carpenter, the opening of the film with Egg Shen (Victor Wong) in the lawyer's office was added in at the request of 20th Century Fox executives, in order to make Kurt Russell's character Jack Burton more heroic. Without the added scene, the film would have started with Jack driving to San Francisco.

Were Americans really this stupid that they'd need a scene to explain that Jack Burton is the hero?
>>
>>66853242
>Were Americans really this stupid

They're gonna vote for Bernie, aren't they?
>>
>>66853242
The executives didn't get the joke that Jack Burton isn't really the hero or actual center to the story so they needed something to reinforce that more. Fortunately the joke still shines through so it doesn't really matter.
>>
>>66853397
>The executives didn't get the joke that Jack Burton isn't really the hero

Except he was the hero. He was just a little incompetent. Wang kept fighting the wrong people and Egg couldn't hit for shit.
>>
>>66853366
bernie or trump either way americans are smart enough to know that the system is fucked

>>66853397
i learned all this from a TIL a few days ago on reggit
>>
>>66853433
Jack's the hero the same way Tome Cruise is the last samurai
>>
>>66853441
vote for Trump, stock up on guns, ammo, bottled water, batteries and canned food.

wait for the next american revolution
>>
>>66853464
But Tom Cruise IS the last samurai in the movie. Stop confusing fiction with reality.
>>
>>66853433
Naw, Jack Burton is just a goofy sidekick who you're supposed to think is the hero. That's the point of the story. He's a foreigner lost in a world he can barely comprehend. While everyone else is fighting, he's always doing something else, being unconscious, or stuck in a silly situation. He's only redeemed by being the one who finally takes out Lo Pan which prevents him from being entirely useless.
>>
>>66853741
I think you're try harding to make it seem like a kitchse movie by Carpenter is deeper than it is
>>
Everyday I come into a thread about Big Trouble and it's always the same.../tv/, on the whole, likes it.

This pleases me
>>
All in the reflexes.
>>
>>66853782
It's not that deep. It's just the person you think is the hero is actually some bumbling guy who is way out of his element. It's not even a retrospective thing either. Kurt Russell said that the only reason he agreed to be in the movie was because he thought it was interesting that the hero was actually a bumbling sidekick or something to that effect.
>>
>>66853952
He's bumbling, but so was Ash

Ash still isn't a sidekick though
>>
>>66853242
The excs weren't worried about people not thinking he was the main character.

They were worried that people were gonna walk out thinking that he was just some loser who barely did anything.
>>
>>66854799
Well it's clear fans of this movie try really hard to pretend Jack isn't the hero of the movie because of their white guilt
>>
>>66855615
>injecting white guilt into this

come on not the time or place
>>
>>66855681
Why else would they do it in a movie about asian kung fu chinamen demons?
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.