[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/tv/ etymology
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (31 KB, 238x350) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
31 KB, 238x350
Why are famous performers called "stars?"

What's the history behind the lingo of terms such as "starring?"

Is this a deliberate association to the stars?

Is it because people may "look up to" celebrities similarly to star-gazing?

>Will I enjoy pic related if I love Bloodborne?
>>
>>66845207
English word star, which was first used to mean "to be featured in a play" in the 1820s. If you imagine a star shining brightly in the dark night sky, it's easy to see how starring came to mean "being the most important on the stage."

It probably has something to do with the stage light.
>>
>>66845514
thank you
>>
>>66845207
Loved that movie.

>martial arts trained native american

Somehow that made it better.
>>
>>66845207
Ya you already have it, OP. Even in language, plebs are conditioned to tilt their necks up 45 degrees to even gaze at their fellow humans projected on the silver screen. It's like MLP. Enjoyable romp of a flick in the OP btw.
>>

Yeah, the two share a few things in common if we ignore the ayyylmaos the movie starts with two "hunters" commissioned by the king to track down a beast during a ritual. As far as i'm concerned BB basically ripped it's first half and general aesthetic from this movie.
>>
File: 1431726512646.webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1431726512646.webm
2 MB, 1280x720
>>66845207
>>Will I enjoy pic related if I love Bloodborne?
>do I like a shit movie if I like an overrated piece of shit game?

Probably.
>>
File: Full-Horned-Helmet2.jpg (153 KB, 800x582) Image search: [Google]
Full-Horned-Helmet2.jpg
153 KB, 800x582
>>66845207
Is there even anything From Software did not steal from other movies, manga or real life buildings? Like anything?
>>
>>66846210
DUDE
SHOCKWAVES
LMAO
>>
>>66845207

yes but youll enjoy it anyway. its a great movie.
>>
>>66846232
>>66846210

everyone knows, the only thing worse than a souls baby is a NEVER EVER
>>
File: delicious 15 fps.webm (3 MB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
delicious 15 fps.webm
3 MB, 720x480
>>66846456
Yes, PS4 boys will never ever play a From game at anything higher than 30 FPS.

I don't know why anyone would want to play another Souls games, though.
>>
Saw that movie on theaters. Fuck, I'm old.

Also at first I wasn't sure what to think about it. I'd read an account on the Gevaudan beast and it sounds ripe for a good horror movie with a monster in it. But this movie is more of an action/thriller. A badass one, mind you, but clashed quite hard with the image I had of the beast and its story.
>>
>>66846585
>it sounds ripe for a good horror movie with a monster in it.

I remember a movie where it's a serial killer. That works too. All I remember about it was that the due stuck branches in the eyes of a song-bird, though. Fucked me up.
>>
>>66846210
Literally the best Souls game ever made, stay mad faggot
>>
>i got b8d into posting in a /v/ thread
fuck
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.