[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just watched this movie. I found Alverson's previous film,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (139 KB, 680x1008) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
139 KB, 680x1008
Just watched this movie. I found Alverson's previous film, The Comedy, to be interesting artistically but not a great movie. Still, I love it. This I found to be an absolute pile of shit. Alverson seems to be trying to say so much, but everything he says has either been said before or isn't worth saying. I knew it wasn't going to be entertaining, but I thought it would at least make me think. Anyone else seen it? Anyone enjoy the movie? Or at least respect it for what it is? It's entirely possible that I'm missing something but I'm afraid I'm not.
>>
>>66839191
I wanna see it. I'm a Gregghead and everyone's saying great things about it.
>>
>>66839316
Wanna point me in the direction of those that are saying great things? I want to know what those good things are - I may have missed them.
>>
>>66839378
i'm not your bitch man, ask google
>>
>>66839509
Suck a dick friendo
>>
>>66839191
It's great, a better film all-in-all than The Comedy. Direction's incredible, Gregg's great.
>>
>>66839564
Turkington is certainly good in his role of sad, angry, creepy loser. Elaborate on what you mean by direction. The fact that the film gets increasingly more grotesque as it carries on?
>>
>>66839753
The cinematography, the elegance of the shots, color pallet, camera movement, set design, it was a beautiful production. It's a simple Pagliacci story but told really well.
>>
>>66839564
I guess I'm having a hard time in what this artistic direction is supposed to be. It just seemed so shallow but attempted to be so deep.
>>
>>66839878
>It just seemed so shallow but attempted to be so deep

That's on you. Look in a mirror.
>>
>>66839826
Hm. I didn't find any of that overly impressive. I thought the best shot scene was in the restroom with Michael Cera, otherwise it was forgettable. I also didn't find the story to be overly well told - a lot of scenes seemed unnecessary, made the film bloated. For instance, the tours he went on weren't necessary. The scene in the house of the Mexicans, with the drinking teenage girl who then watches him while he sleeps, the part with his cousin and the two Mexicans, and more that I've already forgot.
>>
>>66840021
Alright, explain why it's on me. Explain the depth of the film to me, if it's truly on me.
>>
File: 1451609690368.jpg (40 KB, 806x453) Image search: [Google]
1451609690368.jpg
40 KB, 806x453
>>66840100
I dunno mane. It's art... it doesnt have to conform to your expectations, but if you didnt dig it, no big deal. The surreal parts were just that, jarring, fever-dream like. Take it how you want. The tour was a reality of life on the road, and a metaphor for life. The John C Reilly parts were hilarious. It was heartfelt and perfectly realized.
>>
File: 1456786426944.gif (47 KB, 232x320) Image search: [Google]
1456786426944.gif
47 KB, 232x320
>>66840204
What about Tim? Is he in the movie?
>>
File: 1441841220766.png (199 KB, 476x437) Image search: [Google]
1441841220766.png
199 KB, 476x437
>>66840272
Yep.
>>
>>66840204
Oh, sorry - I meant the tours he went on to the airplane graveyard, oil fields, etc. Those seemed to be thematically different than the rest of the film, like the point they were trying to get across was totally different. Just seemed out of place.
>>
Anyone wanna actually defend this garbage dump of a film without spewing buzzwords
>>
>>66840752
Yeah, I enjoyed it.
>>
>>66840752
It was longer than it needed to be, but it was as good or better than The Comedy. If The Comedy appeals to you, Entertainment probably will too. Biggest difference is that Entertainment has more of an overarching direction, since it's about a character literally moving the plot forward by traveling from place to place, while The Comedy is more intentionally formless.
>>
>>66841478
>without spewing buzzwords
>>
>>66841892
wtf buzzword did I use?
>>
>>66839191
I like The Comedy more, even if Entertainment's protagonist did a better fleshed out performance
>>
>>66840752
You don't have to feel bad if you can't enjoy artsy films. They certainly ain't for everybody (or it would be the mainstream approach to making films).
>>
>tfw the party
>>
>>66839191
really? I thought it was much better. I could relate to Gregg more than Tim
>>
File: Entertainment.jpg (136 KB, 1265x709) Image search: [Google]
Entertainment.jpg
136 KB, 1265x709
>>66842759
>>
>>66840135
lol shut up fag
>>
>>66839191
I'm a massive Hamburger fan, so definitely biased...

I enjoyed it as an artful collection of scenes. Not too much of a storyline, but I didn't expect one. Turkington plays (too well, perhaps) the "unique" artist-type who nobody "gets". The John C. Reily scene at the bar illustrated this perfectly.

And later when Greg is in the plane with Reily, looking at his "mainstream" riches and being unimpressed/ depressed. That's classic.
Really, it was a meaningless meandering stroll, which isn't shocking (it is, after all, failed comedian playing a failed comedian).
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.