[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Female characters are often given a raw deal in action films
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 9
File: Scifi.png (472 KB, 720x907) Image search: [Google]
Scifi.png
472 KB, 720x907
>Female characters are often given a raw deal in action films - simply fulfilling the role of love interest or assistant - but the flexible rules of the science fiction setting can empower and liberate female protagonists.
>Twenty years before Jurassic World's heroine, with impractical high heels, would inspire eye rolls around the world, Laura Dern's no-nonsense paleobotanist responded to moralising about the dangers of cloning dinosaurs in science fiction blockbuster Jurassic Park with two simple sentences: "Dinosaurs eat man. Woman inherits the earth."
>Beyond the joke of a utopian all-female society, a recent viral meme repurposed the memorable scene with a reference to Star Wars: The Force Awakens, and its protagonist Rey, by suggesting that "woman inherits the franchise". May the force be with her.
>"For years we've been hearing that women couldn't front a sci-fi/action film," Jenna Busch, founder of Legion of Leia. "The fallacious perception is that they just won't sell. But, now we have Katniss, Furiosa, and Rey to prove that attitude wrong. There is something about seeing the box office numbers that might be a step in the right direction."

Thoughts on this, lads?
>>
>>66818556
>article championing women
>written by woman

tl;dr clickbait shitters
>>
Who is Katniss
>>
stop bringing this trash here
>>
Jurassic World, Star Wars, Katniss Movie, and Mad Max are not science fiction
>>
>>66818602
Hunger Games
>>
Aeon Flux.

Older than the girl who wrote that article but who can blame her she's a retard.
>>
>>66818556
>Article written by women.

>Captions the wrong movie
>>
File: jchoQsS.png (26 KB, 660x230) Image search: [Google]
jchoQsS.png
26 KB, 660x230
>"There is something about seeing the box office numbers that might be a step in the right direction."

yeah, someone's done some thinking and came to the right conclusion that the films are doing well because of women leads
in other news
>>
Just make good movies - the characters don't have to be male or female, only competent and well written.

People watched Hunger Games because it was a popular young adult book series. People watch Jurassic World because fucking dinosaurs. People watched Fury Road because its an action movie in the vein Hollywood doesn't do much anymore.

Few people watched it solely because there were some major female characters.
>>
Sooo the new Ghostbusters counts as all women scifi, right?
>>
>For years we've been hearing that women couldn't front a sci-fi/action film
>Alien (1979)
>Aliens (1986)
>>
>>66818740
Heavy Metal
>>
>>66818669
This.
>>
>>66818618
Oh, I've never seen a Jennifer Lawrence movie
>>
>>66818556
Holy shit, fuck off. Not only do you shit up /v/ with your blatant shilling, now you come here too?

https://boards.fireden.net/v/search/text/thoughts%20lads%20this/
>>
File: 1438994843542.jpg (53 KB, 615x385) Image search: [Google]
1438994843542.jpg
53 KB, 615x385
>>
>>66818556
Women thought women in sci fi is a new thing? They never heard of Ripley or what? Was this written by a millennial?
>>
>>66819017
>Was this written by a millennial?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jennifer_K._Stuller born July 14, 1975
>>
File: alien poster.jpg (44 KB, 485x700) Image search: [Google]
alien poster.jpg
44 KB, 485x700
>"For years we've been hearing that women couldn't front a sci-fi/action film,"
Yeah, by feminists. There's literally uncountable amount of women in sci-fi and action if you just FUCKING LOOKED THEM UP YOU FUCKING IGNORANT CUNT. LOOK AT FUCKING ALIEN, TERMINATOR, XENA.

>"The fallacious perception is that they just won't sell. But, now we have Katniss, Furiosa, and Rey to prove that attitude wrong. There is something about seeing the box office numbers that might be a step in the right direction."
Furiosa and Rey being both in movie series that were famous to begin with is not exactly proving anything else that the movie series are still indeed super popular. Fucking new Star Wars movie would break box office records simply by flailing dirty socks on the screen for 2 hours, that's how popular the franchise is.
I give it to Katniss, Hungry Hungry Hippos is a very popular book and movie series that prove everything feminists have been moaning about as bullshit. There is no some grand conspiracy against wimmin.
>>
>>66818556
>muh women in science fiction!
>captions a shot of TLW, which doesn't even feature the character she is talking about
>Ignores movies like Alien(s) or Terminator 2 or the fucking Abyss

But no, instead we must celebrate tripe like TFA and Fatniss Evereating because she's hungery games.

The part that makes me cringe the most is the part about the high heel scene in JW, the actress herself wanted to do that scene, but nope gotta cry muhsoggyknees at every little thing,

Christ we need a new war.
>>
>>66819276
Kek that is lost world
>>
>fair, semi-accurate premise with lots of inherent truth in it
>worst support and examples imaginable

women.. every. fucking. time.
>>
>>66818556
>Female characters are often given a raw deal in action films
everytime i read something like "often" "most of the time" "usually" i wish they would give us examples, so that i as a reader know what movies they're talking about
>>
I liked Alien franchise because it was fronted by an actual woman, not for the sake of her gender, but because she was charismatic and actually badass by nature. A great actress.

I didn't watch any of the decade past female fronted sci-fi movies,
because they are all fronted by twig bodied smooth skin teenage girls who look like they haven't stopped sucking mother's milk yet, who don't have an ounce of charisma and if anything are annoying like fuck, and who have been pushed into those rules because they look good and have the right gender, but not on account of any acting or charismatic substance.

Referring to the last paragraph "For years we've been hearing that women couldn't", the author is obviously ignorant and uninformed of the topic she is trying to cover. From Alien to Heavy Metal, hell even Fifth Element.

This article is full of moronic imbecility.
>>
>>66818556
I'm stunned people are paid to write such shit articles. Those are my thoughts.
>>
why can't they just look pretty, smell nice and do some embroidery once in a while, I don't get why they want to be murdering tyrannosauruses and being butch masculine heroes in grisly action films, it's retarded
>>
File: 1452152974419.jpg (233 KB, 560x560) Image search: [Google]
1452152974419.jpg
233 KB, 560x560
>women
>>
>>66818556
>all female utopia
Isn't that a contradiction?
>>
Audiences dont care about female action leads when they do a good job. Hell even MRA's love the shit out of Linda Hamilton, Sigourney Weaver, Emily Blunt, the chick from Resident Evil, etc

The problem is when they shoehorn in muh atrong independent females for the sake of equality. Not all women can pull off believable action roles. When most actresses think of "badass" female roles they think of fucking Charlie's Angels and spend more time posing for photoshoots than training on how to use firearms. The result is shit like that webm going around of the two girls slowly walking across a hail of bullets firing randomly with a gun in each hand without even bothering to pretend that recoil is a thing.

Men like believable female action stars more than women do, I'd argue. How many women went and saw Edge of Tomorrow because they heard there was a legitimately believable female action star? I don't know any. Meanwhile every guy I know who saw it loved the shit out of Emily Blunt.

tl;dr most women are fucking retarded apparently
>>
>>66818556
>Mad Max & Star Wars
These didn't sell because of the female lead
>>
>>66818556
I don't mind female leads, but I want all this Social Justice bullshit to stop.
>>
>>66818556
She's kidding herself if she thinks Laura Dern was noteworthy in anything but Lynch's films.
>>
>>66818556
sociopath "journalism"
>>
>>66818617

Yes they are. Science fiction is a broad category.
>>
>>66820287
They barely qualify as sci-fi and are definitely not science fiction.
>>
>>66819743
They're called weasel words.
>>
it takes science fiction to make a world with decent women? sure
>>
File: Banjo-the-pooh.jpg (18 KB, 320x287) Image search: [Google]
Banjo-the-pooh.jpg
18 KB, 320x287
>>66820321
>>
>>66820321

Mad Max is probably Sci Fi Kino, Jurassic World is a Science fiction flick, am I right.

Faggot.
>>
>>66818556
every few weeks of months these type of click bait articles get churned out women are the weaker sex normal woman know this and this meme of "the strong leader women" dies women ARE helpers they even joke about it when you do house chores and day to day life, the only time this shit gets spouted is when they hivemind to hide there constant self assessment insecurity.

"well its a man job"
"men build this"
"ill ask anon to help me move this"
>>
>>66818556
How ironic that women can only carry movie franchises at a point in time where advertisers target younger and younger audiences, and where manchildren and whiny women make up a huge part of the viewing audience.
>>
>women are only able to thrive realistically in science fiction universes
Accurate
>>
File: womens studies.jpg (31 KB, 400x339) Image search: [Google]
womens studies.jpg
31 KB, 400x339
>>66818556

>Laura Dern's no-nonsense paleobotanist responded to moralising about the dangers of cloning dinosaurs in science fiction blockbuster Jurassic Park with two simple sentences: "Dinosaurs eat man. Woman inherits the earth."

And then all the dinosaurs die with no heirs and the Earth is silent. Or, in the case of the movie, half the women turn into men so they can fuck and together they take over the entire island

Do these idiots not pay attention to the shit they're writing? Also, in case she missed it, all the dinosaurs trying to kill humanity are female....
>>
>>66818740
Terminator 2.
>>
File: image.jpg (35 KB, 600x375) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
35 KB, 600x375
>>66820321
>sci-fi
>science fiction
>not the same thing
>>
>>66818556
Why are women so fucking stupid that they don't understand that the reason there are fewer women in certain roles, is because roles in movies are a reflection of the real world?
There are more male action heroes and scientists in movies, because that's how it is in real life. Men earned their right to be fictional heroes through their action in real life, and because they have the biological advantage to fill these roles.
That's why women are so unbelievable in action movies and sci-fi. They come off as carciatures based on political correctness.

That being said, there's no problem with well written female characters, if they're not written with an agenda in mind. No one ever complained about characters like Sarah Connor or Ripley, because they're believable, flawed, human characters who aren't portrayed as angry feminists or supersoldiers. The 80s also had plenty of other female characters in sci-fi movies where they felt completely natural.
>>
>>66818556

The Force Awakens could have had a midget clone of Adolf Hitler wearing a suit made out of used condoms as the lead and it still would have made bank. That Rey was a woman is entirely incidental to the movie's success.

So maybe that's not the best example to base gender theories on.
>>
>>66820768
I'm fairly certain the movie would have bombed without Han Solo.
They were clever when they made this shit. They knew a woman and a black man couldn't carry the movie alone, but they knew no one would care if they brought back the original cast. This let them cast whoever they wanted as the new characters, because people only went to see the original cast.
So we end up with Mary Sue and Bubbles.

This seems to be the trend with Star Wars now. Apparently they're making some offshoot, which stars another white woman as a leader of a diverse group of pucks.
>>
>>66818556
>clickbait
Perhaps that stupid bitch should do research before making a fucking article.

Sig in Alien was a fucking female protagonist. And I am sure there are other female protagonist in science fiction movies, however Sig came to mind first.
>>
>>66818556
>Katniss, Furiosa, and Rey
feminists perpetually have the mindset of children
>>
>>66818556
>"For years we've been hearing that women couldn't front a sci-fi/action film,"
You may have your opinions about the Wachowskis, yet Trinity from the Matrix fronted and carried a sci-fi movie and she was equally as important as the males.

Stuller need to get hanged.
>>
>>66820628
They're not. And then there's also SF.
>>
>>66820973
>desperately trying to start a new meme this hard
>>
>>66818556
>Article discusses original Jurassic Park/Laura Dern
>Photo caption mentions original Jurassic Parks release date
>Photo is from The Lost World
This bothers me so much
>>
>>66818556
I read it as
"why women can drive in science-fiction"
>>
>>66819989
Yeah this.
Women who do go action roles are "too manly" and not pretty enough according to women
>>
>>66820969
This
Somehow people always seem to forget about the matrix
Trinity is fucking badass
>>
>>66821016
It's nothing new, please feel free to utilize search engines if you like.
>>
>>66820969
The Matrix franchise is also the most SJW franchise in the history of cinema.
All the villains are white men, while 80% of the good guys are minorities or women.
>>
>>66819077
I hear your rant, anon, and I agree with it 100%. However, don't direct that hate at one demographic like "feminists" instead direct it at the entirety of the human race. For we are all to blame.
>>
>>66821197
You're thinking of Star wars OT (and TFA now lmao)

The only good white man is Luke, other than that they're all jews, blacks, mexicans or aliens
>>
>>66818556
The woman from Jurassic World wears "impractical" high heels because that's what business women wear. I never understood this complaint. She's a suit. Of course she's wearing high heels.

Fact is the film made her a strong, compelling, competent character who works with Raptor Dude instead of just being saved by him all the time. She's his equal in the film.

She's also the main character. The film is about her growing as a character, from one who only cares about her job to one who learns to love her family and friends.

I've never understood the complaints beyond "she wore the wrong shoes." Well, fucking yeah she wasn't prepared to run from dinosaurs. I bet you aren't the most prepared right now to run from dinosaurs.
>>
>>66821246
Star Wars was more about pitting generic American individualists against British nazis, by using Asian philosophy as a weapon.
>>
>>66818669
/thread
>>
>>66818617
This
When women finally figure out what sci fi is maybe they can be in it
>>
>>66821350
Kurosawa made a movie about american individualism vs brit nazis?
>>
>>66821455
Kurosawa didn't make Star Wars. Or are you so miraculously stupid that you think Star Wars is a 1:1 copy of The Hidden Fortress?
>>
>>66821175
Holy shit BTFO
>>
File: 1457324207064.jpg (438 KB, 1083x634) Image search: [Google]
1457324207064.jpg
438 KB, 1083x634
>>66818556
>"The fallacious perception is that they just won't sell. But, now we have Katniss, Furiosa, and Rey to prove that attitude wrong.
>Furiosa
Wasn't Furiosa Road commercial flop?
>>
>>66821175
>>66821712
>samefagging this hard
>>
>>66821175
holy fucking shit that guy was btfo
>>
>>66821798

It did well enough for them to greenlight two sequels, so couldn't have been that bad.
>>
>>66821092
Same, also bothers me that you're the only mention of this.
>>
>>66819977
Yes, Females cant fucking cohabitate without a male buffer.

I read something from a prison guard in an all female prison. Its kintergarten bullshit all day erry day.
>>
>durr actual strong looking women like Weaver don't count because they are too manly and spend more time prepping themselves to look badass and gritty than they do trying to look pretty in action

>durr women being portrayed with babies in their hands is sexism and misogyny because it detracts them from life goals. Such feminine acts are bad.
>durr we'll just ignore all the women who can't bear children or had miscarriages, and we will ignore that every job in existence is trivial and less daunting compared to raising a fucking child and raising it properly; upon which the existence and stability of Humanity hinges more than it does upon a woman being capable to write on a piece of paper properly

FUCK OFF
F
U
C
K

O
F
F

CAN YOU FUCKING FEMINIST BITCHES BE ANYMORE PSYCHOLOGICALLY INSANE AND LACKING IN COMPASSION, WHILE AT THE SAME TIME BEING SO FILLED WITH COGNITIVE DISSONANCE?

Do feminists even know what the fuck they want at this point? Where's the consistency.
>>
>>66818994
This is a facebook-tier image
>>
How are feminists any different from religious nuts at this point?
Now i feel bad for having those religious kid missionaries that go house to house off in an impolite way.
At least they don't act like self-righteous douches on a high-horse with a stick up their ass.
>>
>>66818556
It would be fucking great if this shit stopped showing up so much on this fucking board.

equivalent to trap threads on /b/, useless. and makes normal people feel sad.
>>
It's been said in this thread already.
A well written female protagonist doesn't bother anyone.
Two hours of "don't forget she's a girl" "wow look what this girl can do" "did we mention that the star of this movie is a woman?" does.
>>
>>66821798
What a fucking whore.
>>
>>66823631
>normal people
Get out newfag
Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.