[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Phantom Menace vs Attack of the Clones
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: thing.jpg (195 KB, 943x697) Image search: [Google]
thing.jpg
195 KB, 943x697
Which is a better movie, and why?
Discuss.
>>
>>66813161
they're both kino
>>
>>66813161
Episode 1 had at least Liam Neeson in it.
>>
>>66813161
TPM is watchable among friends, but on its own it drags a lot in the middle.

Don't get me wrong, so does the love parts of AOTC, but the obi subplot carries it. Honestly I like clones more
>>
>>66813365
This, jin is the best part of the prequals
>>
>>66813161
I love Star Wars so I love them both, but if I were to choose one over the other it would be Attack of the Clones,
>>
Phantom menace had at least that cool podrace, and the awesome fight at the end (the music makes it)
There was nothing redeemable in Clones, except maybe the Jango/Obi-wan space fights (on ground and in space), and the bit at the very end with the Star Destroyers
>>
>>66813407
There was absolutely nothing to Qui Gon Jin. Can you even explain?
>>
>>66813161
AOTC is an imperfect movie but it has enough to somewhat connect with the characters and the plot is interesting enough. Honestly it wouldn't be THAT bad if Anakin was recast and George was better at writing dialogue. TPM is just too boring to even humour.
>>
TPM is watchable if you ignore all the Jar Jar filler scenes, while AoTC has some godawful acting, dialogue and writing. Only good thing in that movie is this theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nk_WHHTQtY&ab_channel=Barbossa32

Probably in my top 5 themes from Star Wars
>>
Redeeming Qualities:
TPM
>The effects
>The world-building
>Maul
>Duel of the Fates
>Ian McDiarmid
>The final lightsaber duel

AotC
>The slow and quiet version of The Imperial March weaved throughout the movie
>Across the Stars
>That one part of the Anakin/Dooku fight in the darkness where their lightsabers are the only source of light
>You don't want to sell me death sticks
>Dooku

TPM was the first in the new trilogy, and Lucas brought everything to it that he'd wanted to bring to Star Wars for the last fifteen years. The world-building was excellent, and the effects were great - a balance of CGI and practical that skewed obviously a little too heavily towards the CGI, but nowhere near as much as AotC and RotS. Attack of the Clones is a bad movie, and TPM is an average one.

TPM - 5/10
AotC - 4/10
>>
>>66813345
Attack of The Clones, easily.

TPM did have some crazy shit though
>>
>>66814251
Hes played by Liam Neeson.
Thats pretty much it.
>>
>>66816135
agreed. although i'd add podracing to the list.
>>
They are both better than TFA.
>>
>>66816317
>Look mum i posted it again
>>
>>66816378
he's right tho

TFA isn't part of the saga and never will be
>>
Episode 1:
Pod Racing was pretty neat
Liam Neeson although bland in this role, looks badass as a jedi.
Darth Maul

Episode 2:
Christopher Lee

Worst thing about Attack of the Clones is how forgettable it is, at least for me. Revenge of the Sith and Phantom Menace have a few memorable scenes that you can easily picture whenever the films are mentioned. All I really remember from Attack of the Clones is the battle sequence on Geonosis, and even then nothing really spectacular happens in it. The problem with Attack of the Clones is that they went into it with the idea that its only purpose in the saga was to function as a stepping stone. When we hear about the clone wars in A New Hope we imagine this great event of epic proportions, but what we got in Attack of the Clones was nothing of the sort. Everything about it is just so bland. At least it's not as bad as Revenge of the Sith so it has that going for it.
>>
>>66816135
for AotC you forgot

>elaborate bounty hunters hiring assassins to kill padme scene
>jump from speeder to speeder chase scene
>gorillions of clones based off the best bounty hunter ever
>best bounty hunter vs pretty tough jedi space fight
>star destroyers
>youngling figuring out where kamino is because yoda and obi wan are fucking stupid scene
>ultimate jedi/clone/droid/bounty hunter/bug people arena deathmatch scene

that easily puts AotC at 6/10
>>
>>66818549
I didn't really enjoy any of that, and a few of those factors actually irritated me.

Actually, the Obi-Wan vs Jango fight was okay.
>>
>>66814251
I actual liked that take on the mentor type.
He was more the risk taker who thought out of the box and wasn't hooked up brainlessly too much in the Jedi doctrines.
>>
File: 1454829662257.jpg (3 MB, 5784x4120) Image search: [Google]
1454829662257.jpg
3 MB, 5784x4120
Clones by a good bit
>>
I recently rewatched the prequels and TPM wins by far, by the time they got to the Padme conveyor belt in AotC I had my head buried in my hands and was begging for the movie to end already

It's only 10 minutes longer than TPM but it felt like it was never going to end
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.