[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Could a 40K movie work?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 8
File: 1456851544021.jpg (284 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1456851544021.jpg
284 KB, 1920x1080
What about Horus Heresy?
what factions would you want to see?
Directors?
Casting?
>>
No.

As a thought experiment, imagine trying to describe the plot of a potential 40k movie to your parents. Now imagine you're a 13 year old boy and you have to convince them to go see it because you're the target audience for this dumb bullshit. Imagine attempting to explain what space marines are, why they're ten feet tall, why there are fucking hellspawn demons and cultists everywhere, who the fuck the Emperor is and why he isn't a bad guy but still kind of is.

Just think about it.
>>
it's plausible if done right. There have been 40k videogames with cutscenes in them. Saw one on youtube(forgot which game or addon it was) where a dreadnaught picks up an eldar and says, "I'VE COME TO DESTROY YOU." while crushing it, which was cool. Spinoff movies like Necromunda and Space Hulk might make good movies too.
>>
>>66812093
>tfw no 40k movie with Tommy Wiseau as the Emperor
>>
>>66812093
WH40k is to 35 year old manchildren as Doctor Who is to 14 year old girls on tumblr.
>>
File: 40kTV.jpg (976 KB, 994x3404) Image search: [Google]
40kTV.jpg
976 KB, 994x3404
>>
Would Tyranids be in it?
>>
>>66812093

No. Its fucking stupid and only works within your imagination. Speaking as someone hugely into the setting.

PARTS of it could work, a movie about the Imperial Guard or something. But the Horus Heresy? Fuck no they can barely handle the book series.
>>
It'd be like that cg Saturday morning cartoon where people in mech suits played violent soccor.
>>
>>66812811
>>66812503
The fuck are you too talking about? Of course the Horus Heresy could be adapted to a screenplay, possibly a series following either each of the primarchs in turn, or simply the events as they unfold.
>>
>>66812093
There is no way you could just start with the horus heresy.

Maybe. MAYBE. I'd accept a movie from the perspective of the God Emperor throughout history.

Dialogue heavy and I want some fucking zealotry in there. It wouldn't even need a ridiculous budget, just carry it on writing alone.
>>
>>66812093
You think the ghost buster feminists circle jerk is bad, wait until fucking there's no women in the film anywhere.
>>
>>66812892
You didn't think about it.
>>
>>66812811
>Horus Heresy
>not easy as fuck to adapt
chosen one gets corrupted wow so complex
>>
>>66813159
what are sisters of battle
>>
>>66813235
The hard part is explaining what Chaos and the Warp is without cheapening it to "they are evil demons".

You really need a solid 10 min of non stop talking to explain the Warp, a fundamental concept in warhammer.
>>
>>66813268
Edgy space magic?
>>
>>66812093
an adaptation of...sure.

It would have to be like Dune meets 300.
>>
Can marines love or are they like clone troopers?
>>
>>66812093
I have a 40K trilogy screenplay that I'm like 1/3 done. It's got potential, but I need to refine the plot a little.

Also, you guys would probably hate it. I have a meme Commissar who constantly yells "Heresy!" before executing Imperial Guardsmen in slightly unexpected situations.
>>
>>66813391
if it has meme potential like that it's by default 10/10
>>
>>66813268
...no you don't. You look at the warp and what comes out of it and it explains itself. Drop the name "Eye of Terror" as the biggest warp storm. boom. every pleb gets it enough.
>>
File: onlywar.jpg (103 KB, 860x627) Image search: [Google]
onlywar.jpg
103 KB, 860x627
>>66813356
the feel love only for The Emperor.

Do you not?
>>
>>66813418
So it starts off Lord Of The Rings style.

>Brief montage
>Talk about mankind expanding to the stars
>Enemies in all directions
>Mankind surrounded, engulfed, facing extinction
>In that darkest hour, the Emperor arrived
>Man kind claimed the stars
>But he was betrayed
>Now he lays dormant, dying on his throne, as more and more lives are sacrificed daily too keep his corpse from completely perishing

Story actually is going to focus on Guardsmen, mainly, but there's a rogue trader and her crew, a Spess Mehrine unit, orks, demons, and psykers thrown in for good measure.

I'm also trying to incorporate the Emperor being reborn somehow into it, so I can roll the whole thing into a trilogy.
>>
Impossible. Lore is too big for a movie, even a trilogy. A self contained story is too small scale.
It's also stupid as shit, the world of W40K is one of the edgiest pieces of media right now, but you have the appeal of aliens and big guys in suits, so it would undeniably get a PG13 rating.
>>
>>66813511
Rogue Trader is a redhead with eyepatch, in striped latex leggings and stiletto heels.

Cosplay potential through the roof
>>
>tfw /pol/ has shitposted Trump so much with WH40K pictures that I can't see one anymore
Trump has the most retarded face ever
>>
>>66813425
Warp is not hell, and if you just do that, people are going to think Warp's the biblical hell. The whole point of "corruption" is giving into one's own desires and lack of discipline. That's why you need to explain the Warp right.
>>
>>66813595

It's the result of the warp that's terrifying.
>>
>>66812757
>hbo
but then wheres the homolove and nudity?
>>
>>66813595
wut
the warp isnt some philosophical state of existence
its literally a place of chaos and suffering. it IS hell
>>
>>66813918
It the subcouscious of every soul bearing creature in the galaxy. It is not just "hell".
>>
It would be politically correct, so no.
>>
>>66813116
why not? the horus heresy is when the entire 40k setting has its thematic beginning
>>
>always liked the 40k mythos and lore
>RTS is the shittiest genre
fml
>>
>>66814018
err no
its an alternate universe of pure chaos that is inhabited by horrific beings that prey on the weak
everyone has a shadow in the warp (except for pariahs) but most of the time the shadow isnt significant except if the person is a pskyer
>>
No, 40k has far too much backstory and is kinda retarded on purpose. The 40k universe straight rejects enlightenment values, so most people wont relate to the beliefs and values of the characters in the setting. Also there are too many obsessive fans that will nitpick any deviations from canon.
>>
>>66814193
>The 40k universe straight rejects enlightenment values
it a light horror setting, so that doesnt really matter
>>
>>66812093
I'm working on it senpai just give me a bit more time
>>66812503
you dont have to explain jack shit tbqh
>>
>>66813881
>who is Fulgrim?
>>
File: 1431994362427.jpg (361 KB, 1920x1310) Image search: [Google]
1431994362427.jpg
361 KB, 1920x1310
>>66814068

I can understand why devs choose to create WH40k (even WH fantasy) into RTS games, because it's not so far drawn from tabletop.

But I still think a well developed, WH40k FPS/TPS shooter could be made. After I played Fire Warrior I always thought so much more could of been done with it. I just want to see the rich gothic/xeno environments that we have captured glimpses of through the art and CGI.
>>
>>66814036

This, a 40k movie would be Avatar with Tau instead of Navi, and the Imperium instead of the corporation.

I think a good 40k movie could be made, though. A good writer and director could make something unique and entertaining as a combination of war epic, space opera, psychological thriller, and supernatural horror.

They would, however, have to:

- Ignore the neckbeard fanboys, and make Space Marines a rare appearance in a larger story
- Get enough artistic freedom to ignore GW's hack writers
- Disavow 90% of the material written for the setting (which still leaves them a lot to work with)
- Drop the over-the-top grimdarkness and cheeseball humor, neither of those things would fly with mainstream audiences
>>
>>66814325
Have you played rhe Space Marine? It is a breety gud game, if you are into wh40k.
>>
>>66813243

200% problematic
>>
>>66812757
>Not Tilda as Sanguinus
smhfam
>>
>>66814068
>RTS is the shittiest genre
How is that common core treating you
>>
>>66814432
>make Space Marines a rare appearance in a larger story
I dont like this point amigo
>>
>>66814559

Space Marines are boring characters, and trying to humanize them was a mistake
>>
>>66814432
So just make Avatar again but now the smurfs pilot mechas instead of big birds?
>>
File: adam.jpg (703 KB, 840x560) Image search: [Google]
adam.jpg
703 KB, 840x560
>>66812670
Adam Driver - think about it for a second

>Has great acting chops.
>Has the right voice.
>Looks oddly neolithic for someone living in the modern era.
>He is the right height.
>Has just the right amount of autism.

Make him bulk up and he would be perfect.
>>
>>66813268

Don't tell, show. The first 40k movie has to explain the setting to the audience, so have our protagonist be an industrial worker in a hive world that's fighting a growing insurgency by Chaos cultists. At the start it just seems like a crime wave but by the end (with some fast forwarding) it's a full-blown war with Imperial Guard deploying to the planet. Have statues and murals of Space Marine heroes in the background, and have a veteran guardsman recount the awe and the terror he felt the one time he saw a Space Marine fight, and how it confirmed his faith in the Emperor and Imperium, and so on. Then the final boss of the movie is a Chaos Marine.
>>
>>66812503
Warhammer 40K franchise has been sleeping for so long that 13 year olds are not the target audience anymore... I think the medieval settings are more suitable for big screen because the humans vs chaos vs the savage orcs (not the comically stupid ones from 40k) conflict is more fashionable desu
>>
>>66814848

I'm saying that's what Hollywood would do if they were tasked with making a 40k movie. The highly advanced Tau would be thinly veiled progressives and unequivocally the good guys. The xenophobic, superstious, and backwards Imperium would be thinly veiled conservatives and unequivocally the bad guys, from whom our protagonist defects even amid accusations of being a race traitor. Maybe they'll even give the Imperial forces a red color scheme to contrast with the Tau blue.
>>
>>66813116
>I'd accept a movie from the perspective of the God Emperor throughout history.
That's the company's ace in the hole narratively speaking. They are never going to reveal it because they know it would vastly reduce people's interest in the setting overall.
>>
>>66812524
that was the intro of dawn of war 2....and i dont know, the action scenes would work but the character development would be full of cliches
>>
>>66812524
A movie is not bound by the same rules as a videogame
>>
>>66814530
It's a genre that hasn't aged well at all
>>
>>66814907

At the film's climax, one of the characters (a cowardly or traitorous Imperial governor or military officer, or maybe the Chaos Marine villain himself) attempts to flee the system in a ship with a damaged Warp drive. He, the ship, and everyone on it gets eaten by the Warp in terrifying detail.
>>
>>66812093

>Factions: Imperium vs Orks (or Chaos)
>Directors: Given the potential scale and special effects involved, preferably Spielberg
>Actors: Sean Bean (Space Marine Chapter Master or Imperial General who lives, Edward James Olmos (Inquisitor)rest can be unknowns with skill and ambition

I'd have it be a cold open, just masses and masses of Imperial Guard being slaughtered by the enemy. Unfortunately that enemy is kinda limited... make it Orks and people will complain about it being LotR or WoW-derivative, make it Eldar and it'll be LotR in space, Tau will get weaboo accusations, etc. I favour Orks because they'd be simple, but Chaos may work better if the franchise has legs.

Any way, Guardsman being massacred stoically, some are fleeing (and being shot by Commisars), all seems lost... and then a Thunderhawk swoops in.

CUE DRAMATIC MUSIC

If they were gonna do the Heresy they'd either need to do just the final battle over Terra or a trilogy, Horus rising to the Drop Site Massacre, then a loyalist chapter fighting traitors (I think Dark Angels vs Night Lords would be best, BA v World Eaters or Wolves v Thousand Sons could also work) and finish it off with the war on Terra.
>>
>>66812093
Sure but I wouldn't focus on Marines or the Heresy.

The Imperial Guard would be a much better option. Filming would be easier and they'd be much more accessible.

ActI
>Cold open on a quiet day on Cadia. (It looks like WWI with future tech)
>Rookies are moved to the front.
>Asteroid shower
>Warp rifts flicker open (Beautiful colours and incoherent screaming appearing from nowhere and everwhere)
>Renegade Guard and Cultists rush the trenches.
>Machine gun fire and artillery cut them to shreds
>Commissar shoots a man who goes to retreat
>Some reach the trenches, brutal hand to hand combat ensues
>Guard win at a a heavy cost

ActII
>Quiet period of clearing trenches
>Priest reads propaganda and religious literature about the God Emperor
>Personal moments between surviving guard as they wait for the next assault

Act III
>Cultists perform ritual admits slaughter in no mans land
>Warp rifts flicker open
>Demons rush out this time
>Gun fire won't keep them down
>They are in the trenches slaughtering everything
>Frantic radioing for help
>Friendly tanks charge to buy time
>Chaos Marines warp into reality to break the charge
>All is lost
>Suddenly a drop cuts the sky, then another
>The SPESS MEHREENS are here to save the day
>Ultraviolence ensues and the Imperium wins despite massive casualties
>>
>>66812503
>Its like 40,000 years in the future and genetically altered 10ft tall super soldiers, called Space Marines, protect humanity from alien monsters. Did I mention the Space Marines have power armour, chainsaw swords and big machine guns that shoot missile bullets?

You're a retard.

Now the real reason a 40k movie couldn't happen is because Games Workshop are a bunch of greedy dick bags who'd want full control of the movie. There's apparently been at least a few people in Hollywood approach them about doing a 40k movie, but they always get knocked back because Games Workshop are dicks to deal with. You /pol/-tards think jews are bad? Even the biggest stereotypical jew is better then the people in control of Games Workshop.
>>
It would work as the background Universe, about a story that isn't Galaxy-Level in impact.

So a movie about Eisenhorn (even his story is still considered minor compared to the scale of Warhammer 40k), or maybe a Space Marine Chapter's struggle with a local Chaos Infection.

A movie about the Horus Heresy, there is just too many background details that need to be communicated to the audience for it to work in a 2 hour movie. Also, the psuedo-religious aspects of the Emperor and the Primarchs gets really weird and nerdy when taken in that fast.
>>
>>66815378
40k could actually be a pretty artistic film
>>
>>66815501
A good director could have a lot of fun and make something amazing, the setting is designed for fans to imagine they're own scenarios inside the whole.
>>
>>66815485
or a movie franchise like mcu
>>
>mention Warhammer 40k
>exec has assistant do background check
>is shown a 10 second bite of that Ultramarine movie
>red light
>>
>>66812757
Congrats, you just blew your entire budget on actors that god only knows if they'll have chemistry, and will have scheduling conflicts all the time.
>>
>>66813391
Step it up senpai, I'm working on something similar. But my work has the greatest inquisititor of all time, who can sniff out heresy from miles away and will always find the heretic, and he can only say heresy.
>>
>>66812093
>Diet Coke Aliens vs. Predator
>in Fantasy setting
>working

Nah.
>>
>>66813391
>I have a meme Commissar who constantly yells "Heresy!" before executing Imperial Guardsmen in slightly unexpected situations.
I would like this. Hell, I still crack up on the fucking "Medic!" shouts in sst.
>>
>>66815115
Do you even hear yourself talk?

First person shooters, as a genre, just haven't aged well at all, the core gameplay mechanics aren't fun at all, and really pointing and clicking just seems so old fashioned now.
>>
>>66812670
holy shit i lurk /tg/ semi regularly have gone through pretty much all of 1d4chan and have never come across this comparison before.
>>
>>66812093
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1679332/
>>
>>66812093
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjaYW5Cnr5k

Wait another year and see. There's also a prologue coming out next month.
>>
>>66815378
Similar idea to mine, spess muhreens right at the end would be perfect. If you do marines vs edgy emo marines then it's just a gears of war movie.

>tfw no Manu Bennett Ultramarine.
>>
>>66817398
You've gotta have enough horror to give that full sense of despair.
>>
>>66812093
Pretty sure cameras only go up to 8K
>>
>>66818899
>Now this is shit posting
>>
File: 1418477532222.gif (2 MB, 200x150) Image search: [Google]
1418477532222.gif
2 MB, 200x150
>>66818899

badum tss
>>
It's not something well suited for the movie format.
>>
>>66812093
It would work better as a miniseries, there's a LOT of backstory to throw in for every fucking Primarch for a Horus Heresy story to be cohesive
>>
File: imperialknightpotatoresolution.jpg (21 KB, 350x265) Image search: [Google]
imperialknightpotatoresolution.jpg
21 KB, 350x265
>obligatory inception BWWAAAAHHH that has to be in every trailer
>Group of raiders ransacking a village, murdering the locals etc
>Suddenly their vehicles explode in a flash of blue light followed by a volley of gunfire tearing them apart
>cut to the silhouette of an Imperial Knight slowly marching out of the fog/darkness whatever

Stick it on STARZ, shoehorn in the cast from Arrow once they all get sacked for not being Felicity and you have 2/3 seasons of medieval knights in giant robots stomping on people
>>
>>66814325
>>66814453
Eternal crusade is in development, its pretty much Space Marine crossed with planetside 2. It will have 4 playable factions Orks, SM, CSM and Eldar it will also have a pve part of the game against tyranids.
>>
>>66819590
>Space Marine crossed with planetside 2
Hell no. They already said it will be 20 vs 20 at best.
>>
>>66813356
Weeeell, the Emprors Children did all kinds of body fluid fun at the Seige of Terra.
>>
>>66813356
They have penises if that's what you mean
>>
>>66813356
Love can bloom even on a battlefield.
Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.