[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How come Star Wars: The Force Awakens didn't beat Avatar?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 7
File: 3.jpg (153 KB, 1129x834) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
153 KB, 1129x834
How come Star Wars: The Force Awakens didn't beat Avatar?

Everyone was thinking that SW was gonna be the biggest movie ever, yet it's sitting at just over 2 Billion USD worldwide, Avatar is sitting safe at 2.7 billion, over 700 million USD more.

What happened? Hell, SW still needs to beat Titanic, which is sitting at 2.1 Billion USD.
>>
>Everyone was thinking that SW was gonna be the biggest movie ever

>that's what butthurt haters actually believe
cry more
>>
Some people don't like Star Wars

Avatar was new when it came out so they didn't know if they liked it or not. It also had the "IT'S IN 3-D YOU HAVE TO SEE IT OR YOU'RE TRULY MISSING OUT! IT'S INCREDIBLE!" marketing strategy behind it.

Star Wars only had "It's just like the originals!" going for it and like I said, not everybody likes it.
>>
Avatar had the 3D gimmick, where people thought they were going to visit another dimension so everyone had to see it
>>
>>66778526
The money they earned don't represent the quality 2bh.
>>
File: baby%20crying.jpg (31 KB, 600x398) Image search: [Google]
baby%20crying.jpg
31 KB, 600x398
>Wah wah wah muh Avaturds!!

Baby so cranky with a diaper full of big, wet, smelly Avaturds.
>>
>>66778693
>where people thought they were going to visit another dimension so everyone had to see it
Promise and delivered imo.
>>
>>66778526

Because China doesn't care for Star Wars
>>
File: image.jpg (197 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
197 KB, 500x500
>>66778777
A cute smiling baby
>>
>>66778822
I guess, most people never talk about anymore because the movie was shit apart from the visuals (which only work in 3D)
Not saying TFA is any better
>>
>>66778834
Because China doesnt care about black people.
>>
>>66778849
Same guy. I agree. I haven't seen TFA yet though. I genuinely pity people who failed to see it in theatres but bought the dvd.
>>
I honestly don't see any movie beating Avatar if Star wars wasn't. able to
>>
>>66778966
Wait for the next gimmick. It'll probably have something to do with VR integration or something.
>>
>>66778526
If it makes you feel better Avatar 2 will be a flop.

>>66778854
Why would they care about white people tho?
>>
>>66778837
Yuck i hate babies. Most vile hideous beasts
>>
>>66778854
China (re: all asian countries) actively despise black people. They actively despise whites in person, but don't mind watching them in movies. But they have active, ongoing, entrench generations old hate towards black people. Not sure why, just is the way it is.
>>
>>66779068
And China is gonna despise Episode 8 when it has gay characters as leads.
>>
>>66779068
>But they have active, ongoing, entrench generations old hate towards black people. Not sure why, just is the way it is.
Weird. Its not like the average Chinese person would even know a black person. Maybe they are looking for anyone to look down on so they feel better about themselves?
>>
>5 billion in toys alone before the movie even came out
>didn't beat avatar
its not about the movie itself, its about the name. the Starwars franchise is huge. ten times better than avatar
>>
>>66778777

Trips nails it. I love this meme.
>>
>>66779160
>Episode 8 when it has gay characters as leads.
lol what? Maybe a prominent side character, but not a lead.
>>
>>66779196
nice damage control
>>
>>66779170
Oh man, what a shocker. People irrationally hate those different from themselves. Tell me more.
>>
>>66779196

>5 billion in toys alone before the movie even came out

Five billion in toys sold in ONE DAY during the Force Friday event.

That was 4 months before the film even hit theaters. You just know shit continued to sell and they made a lot more money, and are still raking in the merchandising dough.
>>
File: 1323558154070.jpg (143 KB, 384x374) Image search: [Google]
1323558154070.jpg
143 KB, 384x374
>What happened? Hell, SW still needs to beat Titanic, which is sitting at 2.1 Billion USD.

Titanic was released a second time for valentine's day after winning the oscars. This gave it a fairly big bump in gross. Also it's a love story that every female in the world wanted to see, and every boyfriend/husband had to oblige.
You really can not say the same about TFA. It's shit, there's no love story, and your girlfriend nor you mom, nor your granma' will ever harass you to go see it with them.
>>
>>66778693
This. It made me watch Avatar twice at the cinema.

Granted the second time I ended up falling asleep through it since it was actually boring, but at least it looked nice. TFA was just shitty
>>
>>66779220

Nice damage control

Avaturd merchandise wound up on clearance at Walmart. Nobody wanted to remember that shitty, forgettable movie.
>>
>>66779268
I take so much pleasure in the fact that a movie that you think is forgettable shit still beat TFA.
>>
>>66779220
true cuck.
stay mad that your shitty movie is forgettable and the only memorable thing about it is
>muh effects
which are shitty the second time you see the movie.

the legacy starwars left already crushed avatar before the movie even came out
>>
>>66779222
>People irrationally hate those different from themselves.
It's irrational sure. But it makes psychological sense because they are trying to make themselves feel better about how sucky their lives are by looking for anyone to look down on. Some black people do the same thing by looking down on other blacks who darker skin than themselves. Pretty funny tbqh
>>
>>66779211
Ya Luke Poe and Finn gonna be fags sadly
>>
>>66779329
It's not always irrational.
My grandmother has had her house broken into four times in her life, every time by blacks. (She and her husband own a house that got slowly BLACKED over time and refuse to move) so has pictures of when she was younger marching with MLK, doing things with black friends, but now she legitimately can't stand the sight of them and refers to all of them as niggers.
>>
>>66779495
house in a neighborhood*
>>
>>66779300
Those visual effects of that wild beast that chases Worthington's character looked so painfully crap and shit.
>>
File: 01_1239_bw_917.jpg (53 KB, 563x416) Image search: [Google]
01_1239_bw_917.jpg
53 KB, 563x416
>>66779495
Chinese people didn't enslave blacks, then shove then in ghettos and exclude them from the economy when they were finally freed...

Anyway if you were English you would be complaining about the Irish and if you were Indian you would be complaining about the Untouchables, if you were Rwandan you would be complaining about the Hutus, on and on.
>>
>>66778526
>yet it's sitting at just over 2 Billion USD worldwide

oh noes what a flop
>>
>>66778526
Because Avatar was re-released 6 months later.
>>
>>66781697
nice meme
>>
>>66781745
Are you telling me if they re-released TFA with some stupid gimmick it wouldn't reach the 3 billion?
>>
>>66781764
If they re-released TFA it would gross less then Avatar re-release did (30 million)
>>
Great, now the two highest grossing movies and two of the most forgettable blockbusters ever made.
>>
>>66781785
Based on what?
Star Wars has a fuckload of drones currently.
>>
>>66778526
Both are forgotten shit anyway.
>>
File: Avatar subtle villain .jpg (166 KB, 1921x1073) Image search: [Google]
166 KB, 1921x1073
>>66778526
There were absolutely no industry projections that SW would beat Avatar. Most of them predicted it would do considerably less well than it did. How come it didn't beat Avatar?

>A: Avatar was became a spectacle event movie for featuring revolutionary digital 3d.
>B: Avatar made $2 billion in foreign box office because it had a color in the lines, easily-translatable plot.
>It made an America the bad guys 1 year after America tanked the global economy and 6 years into the disastrous American occupation of Iraq.
>>
>>66781982
kek, never noticed that
>>
>>66779014
>It'll probably have something to do with VR integration or something.

You mean Avatar 2... filmed with Camerons newest tech called "aVRtar" ?
>>
It did beat Avatar it grossed the most money in the USA and did it in 2 months compared to avatars 6 years

Literally nobody talks about avatar or titanic
>>
ITT: Salty Star Cùck tears

Stay mad, plebs
>>
>>66778771
I know, right?
Star Wars should've flopped desu, while Avatar should've earned at least 300 million more.
>>
>>66782108

Star Wars 7 was just your average flavour of the month flick, nobody remembers it now after Deadpool, Zootopia and BvS. While Avatar was going strong for months.
>>
>>66778526
>How come Star Wars: The Force Awakens didn't beat Avatar?

SWTFA underperformed in Asia (and not just China) is the reason why it didnt beat Avatar. In some markets like South Korea, India, etc it outright flopped.
>>
>>66782118
ITT: Desperate star wars shitposters that have had to move the goalposts so far that "not literally being the most successful ever" means it failed.
>>
>>66779196
So if we count toy sales to the success of a movie then should we count the money they poured into the franchise?
That would mean Star Wars The Force Awakens had a budge of over $4 billion.
>>
>>66778526
Even for Star Wars and Disney, the advertising can get you only that far, when the movie is mediocre.
>>
>>66782158
Dude deadpool is hundreds of times worse than TFA

Zootopia who gives a fuck

BvS will be terrible Wonder Woman a shit.
>>
>>66782196
Cry moar redditor
>>
>>66782160
>In some markets like South Korea, India, etc it outright flopped.
Not really. It performed about exactly as Disney was conservatively projecting it would do in China and South Korea. The prequels made like $20 million total in China.

Journalists and nerds started speculating it would way over-perform in those markets because it was doing so well in the West. Too bad it came out like weeks later in China, after cams had already leaked.
>>
It's literally the second worst Star Wars movie, if it wasn't a Star Wars movie it wouldn't have broke 500m.
>>
>>66782323
>Too bad it came out like weeks later in China, after cams had already leaked.
It had less to do with cams being leaked and more to do with China not really caring about Star Wars.
Liking Star Wars is culturally a very American thing, and China hasn't been exposed to Star Wars for long.
>>
Black lead killed it in Asia

If the lead was blonde/blue eyed it would have got close to Avatar
>>
>>66779064
>If it makes you feel better Avatar 2 will be a flop.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
No.
Can't wait to see you BTFO
>>
>>66782345
>It had less to do with cams being leaked and more to do with China not really caring about Star Wars.
Don't disagree. I think there were multiple factors that influenced Chinese BO. The OT in the 80's was heavily censored and thought of as anti-communist, pro-Murica propaganda.

The one thing I think was less important than some nerds on /tv/ like to believe is that Boyega was a significant factor. Chinese may not care much about the blekks, but they showed with 7Fast7Furious that if it's a movie they want to see they clearly don't give a shit. Hell, black people are part of the spectacle of watching western movies in places where the blekks don't exist. Like how Star Trek has hot green chicks.
>>
File: image.jpg (581 KB, 1242x2033) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
581 KB, 1242x2033
>>66778526
It did.
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.